Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Recommend me a versatile all-season fragrance! (sorry about the generic title)

Again, I apologize for adding to the orgy of "recommend me something!" threads. I'll try to make this less frazzled and as specific as possible. No time to read all this? Cliff notes are below!

So, I think it's occurred to me that I've pretty much smelled almost everything Sephora carries. I've worn a good 70% of the Macy's counter. Purged down my collection at least 2-3 times in the past few years because I'm such a minimalist (quantity wise). I almost feel as if I just got my yellow belt in karate. Even in a mere 2 years, I feel as if I'm totally done wearing kiddie aquatic, sweet, citrus fragrances. Looking at my wardrobe and what I've tried (under the "tried" tab), can anyone recommend something versatile that I've missed or highly recommend that I revisit again? I apologize for such a tedious task of doing so. Any help is appreciated. It's starting to freak me out when a lot of things in Sephora and Macy's fragrance counters are so "been there, done that". I don't know where else I can dig without spending a Benjamin and/or searching for something terribly obscure. I would greatly prefer not to blind buy the next one. I don't mind a reasonably priced niche that's not terribly hard to acquire a bottle of either. I know, it's an oxymoron. They're called "niche" for a reason. If it's a shade over $100 and worth every penny, I'll consider it as long as it's easy to acquire samples (LuckyScent or Perfumed Court). LOL.

Currently Testing:
    Guerlain Vetiver - Smokey vetiver
    John Varvatos Vintage - Fairly potent, fruity, a bit of a synthetic mish-mash of a lot of things. @_@
    Cartier Declaration - Citrusy, fresh, not over bearing. It's a front-runner so far.
    Lalique Encre Noire - It begins inky and dark, but develops into a gentle, soft, clean, soapiness. This could possibly replace my TM Cologne someday. Just not sure how I feel about the dark notes during the summer.
    Guerlain L'Instant - Might be too sweet for summer, I should give it a full wearing.
    Hugo Boss Bottled - Pretty fruity. I keep thinking it'll give me headaches just like Varvatos Vintage.
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste - Wore this on a rainy day and it kept me peppy for the next 4-5 hours. It's quite a nice no frills fragrance. Some could say it's boring, but it's empowering. To me, it's like Clark Kent & Superman in a bottle.
    Rive Gauche - Did not like the weird creamy spicy clove. I use an electric shaver, so this doesn't appeal to me anyway.

Need To Revisit:
    Terre d'Hermes - Orange peel and mineral notes. The mineral notes is quite strange on a sunny day. The sun warms me up WITH TdH. Fantastic in spring at least.
    Dior Homme - Winter and fall, DEFINITELY. Spring, perhaps, summer? Never tried it. I'm a sucker for a good amber note. This had it.
    Fahrenheit 32 - This one confuses me. It feels like a summer fragrance, but the dry down feels like it could stand up to the cold. I get amber and vanilla a lot.
    Gucci II - The hype it receives lately has me intrigued to wear this again. Before this was bashed pretty hard for it not being as good as Gucci I when I first joined BN. I didn't understand this fragrance at first until I wore it again a couple months ago. Great black tea note. Kinda refreshing too.

To Test Soon:
    Juicy Couture Dirty English - Most likely a fall to early spring fragrance at best.
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver - Dunno, it's Tom Ford. Tom Ford for Men just seemed sorta eh. Maybe because I had high expectations for such a lofty price tag.
    Cartier Roadster - Smelled okay on a scent strip at least.

Ones I Wished I Had A Way of Trying Before Buying:
    Dior Homme Cologne
    Carolina Herrera Chic (I may buy a mini of this first or Scented Monkey as a last resort)

Thanks everyone!

Cliff Notes:
    Recommend me an all around, all season fragrance that I must absolutely try or revisit. I still want modern for someone in their mid 20's to early 30's who dresses in trendy, big city style (usual H&M/Zara type guy with a bit of HypeBeast). No sharp headache enducing grapefruit notes, no heavy tobacco (nauseating), no rum (also nauseating), no coriander/cilantro notes either (my skin tends to bring those out to the forefront). Looking to revamp the wardrobe a bit after my spring cleaning. Essentially looking for a new signature scent, not a holy grail (although that'd be nice).
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 12th February 2010 at 03:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Recommend me a versatile all-season fragrance! (sorry about the generic title)

Divine L'Homme Sage? I didn't have time to completely read the long version...but this is what popped into my head. Dior Homme is really great, though--a better fragrance but may be a bit much for very warm weather unless you apply with a light hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Recommend me a versatile all-season fragrance! (sorry about the generic title)

I think I am stumped Rawk Lee.......I guess that does not help you much

I would think that Declaration is a very good choice. I really like it. And since you live in California, your winters are not too cold ( I think this scent works best in warm to hot temperatures). Go for it !

As well, I like Roberto Cavalli Black as a good contemporary fragrance which I think can be classified as an amber. More designer-ish than the more seemingly literal ambers ( Tom Ford Amber Absolute, Amber Sultan and Ambre Fetiche). Roberto Cavalli Black does wear closer to the skin, however. A good solid tonka bean note.

Good luck
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm...Divine L'Homme Sage, I should finally hit up The Perfumed Court for that one and get a few Creeds too. The Cavalli Black sounds like a nice sleeper, very reasonably priced too. I can get a sample of that with Herrera Chic too all in one shot. I know it's hard to find more to recommend and I got a few people stumped, I really appreciate the help guys, thanks! I love Basenotes. Haha.

I just found this thread too. I must have done a crappy job searching cuz I coulda swore there was a "versatile" thread. LOL.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/209...tile-fragrance

From what I've gathered, I should look into Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge (it's Guerlain, worth a shot, not sure if it's suitable for my style), then some Creeds (GIT, Millesime Imperial, Silver Mountain Water, and Himalaya or as I call it, "Creed starter kit"). Those are the few that piqued my interest since they were mentioned multiple times in that thread. Any other ones mentioned more than once, I've worn before, pretty much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    Hmm...Divine L'Homme Sage, I should finally hit up The Perfumed Court for that one and get a few Creeds too.
    From what I've gathered, I should look into Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge (it's Guerlain, worth a shot, not sure if it's suitable for my style), then some Creeds (GIT, Millesime Imperial, Silver Mountain Water, and Himalaya or as I call it, "Creed starter kit"). Those are the few that piqued my interest since they were mentioned multiple times in that thread. Any other ones mentioned more than once, I've worn before, pretty much.
    Your frugality and self-constraint are outstanding.
    I suspected this line should be my line of recommendation, but then was like, naw, he couldn't possibly be a member that long and not have tried the Creeds, L'Artisans, etc.
    If you have already tried all the Guerlains, Tom Fords, and Hermes'...
    ...try all the millesime Creeds and L'Artisans ASAP.
    Then go back and try the Creed EDT's/private collection, as well as maitre.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and more on topic, GIT is the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season of the fragrance world.
    And seeing you like Platinum Egoiste, and don't find it far too shrill or strong, you will likely like another all-season Creed, a superfresh one which laughs at cold air, yet is not heavy, and very good in summer also:
    SMW
    Last edited by DULLAH; 12th February 2010 at 05:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Oh, and more on topic, GIT is the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season of the fragrance world.
    And seeing you like Platinum Egoiste, and don't find it far too shrill or strong, you will likely like another all-season Creed, a superfresh one which laughs at cold air, yet is not heavy, and very good in summer also:
    SMW
    As a car enthusiast who drives a Subaru Impreza 2.5RS (it's like your GC8 WRX overseas, but naturally aspirated instead...and crappier front seats), that Green Irish Tweed analogy was awesome. It seems like the Creed house is one of the very few perfumers who actually have a good number of multi-purpose fragrances with that high of a quality without falling short of boring. Yea, it took a lot of restraint to keep my budget relatively small throughout the years. I figured I can't drive the M3 if I haven't learned how to drive in the Civic yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Fleur du Male is now my all-season. I'll use 1 or 2 sprays in the summer, 2 or 3 sprays any other season. If you're afraid of how feminine it is, try The One by D&G.
    Last edited by Spray; 12th February 2010 at 05:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Being comfortable with the excellent Declaration opens things up a bit to my mind. PdN New York could be worth a look (along with Creed BdP which is sort of in the same ballpark). Both of these are actually 'less demanding' IMO and therefore maybe more 'all season'.

Certainly GIT - it was all I wore for about 10 years (apart from AdP Colonia in mid summer which is great).
    Original Vetiver is also very versatile - not really a vetiver per se.
    Cologne du 68 is another thought- sort of an all purpose Guerlain without serious attitude - versatile . . . really nice stuff.

You seem to be well sorted already - good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, A Perennial scent ay...I suggest Kenzo Power...Ughh, Polo Green And Serge Lutens MKK...All Are great for any season!!

Good Luck!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Post Thanks / Like

I love Cartier Roadster. Marc's review on youtube was spot on. I bought it blind because he said it could be a signature scent. If the mint doesn't scare you you can totally wear this year round. I also have Platinum Egoiste. It will be in HEAVY rotation all year.

Do try Carolina Herrera Chic

Post Thanks / Like

Aramis and Yatagan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

These are definitely on my list to try out in the next couple months.

Acqua Di Parma Colonia - Listed a lot in the "versatile fragrances in your wardrobe" thread.
    Creed Green Irish Tweed - Popular and for good reason. Popular in the "I've heard of it, but I wouldn't spend the money, but it's really good" sort of way in the masses.
    Divine L'Homme Sage - Intriguing, but the composition seems like hot weather could possibly be a stretch. Also, it's in the upper price range of where I'd like to spend.
    Frederic Malle French Lover - Seductive aromatic for everyday? Not sure about that. The price tag is the same as Divine. Worth a shot anyway.
    Guerlain Cologne 68 - One blog said it was the "baking soda" of fragrances. Extremely versatile, high quality, and friendly to noses around me.
    Habit Rouge - A Guerlain classic that some members listed as versatile. Let's try on that "red jacket". Might be a bit much for hot weather.
    Le Labo Rose 31 - Clean and dirty at the same time. Also in the upper part of my budget.
    Cartier Roadster - Marc (L"Homme)'s review on this gets me intrigued. Not too heavy, not too light. Quality Cartier release.
    Cartier Declaration Essence - I just heard it's a good flanker. I'll hunt down a sample of this eventually.

Any thoughts? Now onto responding to the other posts since it's a thread I started and I always like returning feedback to others who are helping me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokke View Post
    Already on my list of things to try. I've been wanting to try this for the past 4-5 months now. I originally was going to buy this blind instead of YSL L'Homme (which I smelled before and enjoyed). I just could never pull the trigger. The notes looks spot on with what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by r0bdigz View Post
    I love Cartier Roadster. Marc's review on youtube was spot on. I bought it blind because he said it could be a signature scent. If the mint doesn't scare you you can totally wear this year round. I also have Platinum Egoiste. It will be in HEAVY rotation all year.
    Thanks for that suggestion! I'll definitely grab a sample from Sephora on this one. As a car guy, the bottle is pretty cool. I'll have to wear Platinum Egoiste more than once, but the first impression was a good one. "Good", but not quite "OMG I NEED A BOTTLE OF THIS".

Quote Originally Posted by Balavassassin View Post
    Hmm, A Perennial scent ay...I suggest Kenzo Power...Ughh, Polo Green And Serge Lutens MKK...All Are great for any season!!
    Tried Kenzo Power, the abundance of warm florals was alright. I did consider buying this based on glowing reviews, but I decided it wasn't what I'd really love wearing, don't get me wrong, I like it, I just don't love it. However, I did put my friend onto it. "Here, try Kenzo Power." "This one's really sweet, but I really like it." I feel weird about Polo Green and I automatically associate it with something from a drug store. I can't stop thinking about George Carlin's joke about the guy who smells like a pine air freshener with this one. Don't know why. MKK's predominant musk notes scares me a bit. If I wanted to try an SL, Chergui would probably be up there on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Being comfortable with the excellent Declaration opens things up a bit to my mind. PdN New York could be worth a look (along with Creed BdP which is sort of in the same ballpark). Both of these are actually 'less demanding' IMO and therefore maybe more 'all season'.

Certainly GIT - it was all I wore for about 10 years (apart from AdP Colonia in mid summer which is great).
    Original Vetiver is also very versatile - not really a vetiver per se.
    Cologne du 68 is another thought- sort of an all purpose Guerlain without serious attitude - versatile . . . really nice stuff.
    "New York" sounds interesting. Patricia de Nicolaî (the perfumer) was a protégé of Jean-Paul Guerlain from what I've read, right? I think I'd like Original Vetiver if I enjoy wearing Mugler Cologne. Thanks for the Cologne du 68, I did not know that one existed and it's very reasonably priced to boot. Will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    Fleur du Male is now my all-season. I'll use 1 or 2 sprays in the summer, 2 or 3 sprays any other season. If you're afraid of how feminine it is, try The One by D&G.
    D&G's "The One" is already on my test list. I got a sample of it a week ago. Sprayed it on my wrist once and I thought it was decent. Need to wear it though. Sorta gaining popularity though (which isn't a terrible thing, just means it's halfway decent). Fleur du Male's orange blossom bomb might scare me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jokke View Post
    +1, tried this couple of days ago, really liked it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Out of that list I really like Platinum Egoiste all year round, it's a very powerful scent, and as I've said before I associate it with the smell of pure money. Terre d'Hermes is wearable all year but I go for it more in the summer heat where it really has good interaction with my chemistry. I'd say Dior Homme could become stifling in the summer if overapplied, but might be fine in smaller doses. Juicy Couture Dirty English is one that I wear much more in the summer than any other month, as often as twice to three times a week, but I do wear it year-round.

I'll go ahead and add to the list Aramis Havana, especially now that it's back in mass-production. I enjoy it in every season because I get different aspects of it in different weather conditions. I also find myself reaching for Hermes Un Jardin En Mediterranee all year, as well as Baldessarini Ambre and Sean John Unforgivable.

EDIT: I see several people mentioning Green Irish Tweed, personally it's more of a summer creature for me, and honestly I'd recommend the lesser-known Cereus No. 7 Pour Homme which takes the GIT formula and adds a peppery spice that turned it from good to fantastic. If you can't find any GIT around you shoot me a PM and I'll decant you some (the quicker I go through mine the quicker I can justify buying Cereus No. 7. )
    Last edited by bluesoul; 12th February 2010 at 09:23 PM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I randomly found my old thread from about eight months ago. LOL. Here's my conclusion. I have smelled a lot of things at the fragrance counters throughout spring and early summer. I've come to a conclusion to a short list of "year rounders" that can be worn anywhere. It's my brief list from a lot of things I've worn in the past several months. I'm likely going to miss some on the list, but it's late and way past my bed time. I'm pretty sure there some people will disagree with, but it's worth a shot.

Designer:
    Bulgari Aqua
    Herrera 212 for Men
    Chanel Allure Sport
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Dior Homme Cologne
    Cartier Roadster
    Cartier Declaration
    Kenzo Power
    Issey Miyake L'eau d'Issey
    Lalique Encre Noire
    Hermes Terre d'Hermes
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Thierry Mugler Cologne
    Perry Ellis (2008) *surprisingly decent!*
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver *it's the sample I'm currently wearing often*
    Solo Loewe *nice alternative to Allure Sport, IMO*
    Prada Infusion d'Homme
    Everlast Original 1910
    Guerlain Cologne du 68
    Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme
    Marc Jacobs for Men

Niche:
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver *will work in "cool" weather, but not REALLY cold weather, great for California!*
    Frederic Malle Vetiver Extrodinaire
    Bond No. 9 Chez Bond
    Bond No. 9 Riverside Drive
    Bond No. 9 Bleecker St *deceptively solid, not impressed, but found myself wearing a lot at some point*
    Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Montauk
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    L'Artisan Tea for Two
    Le Labo Rose 31
    Different Company Bois d'Iris *listed as female...?*

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel pour Monsieur, Boucheron pour Homme or Givenchy pour Homme might be good choices- all of them very elegant but not overly formal, smooth, discreet and urban with a timeless, non-nonsense, stylish veneer