Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Habit Rouge EDP

Default Habit Rouge EDP

I received my HR EDP and am very happy to give you some impressions after being able to spend a little time with it. For starters, I love the bottle. The bottle is framed with red leather. Very nice!

The scent is smooth straight out of the bottle with an excellent accord of lime, orange and bergamot. The heart notes bring up an ever so slightly soapy note amidst, the recognizable warm, woody, spicy floral HR accord. The neroli in the heart smells very rich and rare. The accord is familiar as HR, but richer and darker and much more slow moving. Smelling the EDP side to side with the EDC and the EDT, it develops at about 1/3 the speed of the EDT and obviously much more slowly than the EDC. It moves at a snail's pace, so you have to be patient!

As the base finally emerges, the oud wood brings a sexy yet distinguished air to the affair, and has neither the medicinal nor the "scouring powder" type smells that can be an oud note's downfall in a scent IMO. The trademark Guerlain vanilla/tonka base is given much substance with a perfect leather accord over patchouli.

HR EDP lasts for hours and hours on me. It has the speed of development of one of the Guerlain women's parfum classics, but is decidedly masculine, rich, sensual, elegant and distinguished all at once. HR EDP eschews much of the overt citrus aspects of HR and cuts right to the chase. The good news is that it layers well with either the EDT or the cologne so you can have it both ways.

While I wouldn't say I like it "better" than the other HR concentrations, I will say that so far, I like it a lot. It is Habit Rouge, but it is also its own scent. This is no mere flanker, it is a serious fragrance, that uses some very high quality materials and has been formulated with a master's flair. It's definitely one of the most exciting Guerlain offerings in many years.

While Habit Rouge EDC is probably still my favorite version of HR, I think over time that the EDP may find itself tying for first place. Only time will tell.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 12th February 2010 at 04:09 AM.

Default Re: Habit Rouge EDP

It will be interesting to see if you have the EDP eventually be your preferred Habit Rouge concentration. I know I felt simialrly to you when I first tried it and now it has become my favorite of the Habit Rouge concnetrations.
    The reason, in my case, is the much more leisurely development that takes palce in the EDP. Every time I wear it I feel like I get the opportunity to savor each phase of its development and as you have already pointed out there is much to savor here.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    It will be interesting to see if you have the EDP eventually be your preferred Habit Rouge concentration. I know I felt simialrly to you when I first tried it and now it has become my favorite of the Habit Rouge concnetrations.
    The reason, in my case, is the much more leisurely development that takes palce in the EDP. Every time I wear it I feel like I get the opportunity to savor each phase of its development and as you have already pointed out there is much to savor here.
    I agree with you. I can see myself deciding in favor of the EDP as the favorite. I really enjoyed layering the EDP with the EDC. It was really amazing... I am ready to say however that HR EDP is currently my favorite scent with a prominent oud note, and I have quite a few of them (including Montale).
    Last edited by mrclmind; 12th February 2010 at 04:14 AM.

When I first got it I thought my wearings were rather dull. I didn't like the change of having a precious thing like Habit Rouge switch into oud zone, and at that I was more accustomed to the oud in M7 which is packaged sweeter. So I was very put off the edp for two wearings. Then, boom, I liked the oud there much more than in M7 and a few essential vials I have. It seemed just the way the ingredient should be used.

I wouldn't want to pick my favorite Habit Rouge so let's be content that we don't need to.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

The EdP is hands down my fav amongst the HR concentrations. Anybody remotely interested in Oud needs to try it as it stands one of the finest examples of Oud I've ever smelled and I've smelled most!

FYI, Guerlain just re-released this as Beau Cavalier in a shiny new bottle.
    Last edited by manicboy; 12th February 2010 at 05:01 AM.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Very interesting. Never smelled the EDP yet, but I do like all of the other HR variations that i've smelled so far.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    ...This is no mere flanker, it is a serious fragrance, that uses some very high quality materials and has been formulated with a master's flair. It's definitely one of the most exciting Guerlain offerings in many years....
    Agreed!

The EDP is trying to be my favorite version, and seems to be succeeding. The oud has been masterfully blended in.

Thanks for your illuminating post.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Wow. Is this Habit Rouge EDP:
    http://www.fragrancedirect.co.uk/Gue...4779?source=af
    IS THAT REAL or is it fake ?

The one pictured is the EDT, not the EDP from what I can see.

This is the EDP... the red is leather, not red glass:

http://www.guerlain.com/guerlain/__c...B-1x300%5D.png
    Last edited by mrclmind; 12th February 2010 at 06:31 AM.

The one pictured is the EDT, not the EDP from what I can see.

This is the EDP... the red is leather, not red glass:

http://www.guerlain.com/guerlain/__c...B-1x300%5D.png
    I don't know if it costs that much too.
    It's strange, because on the picture it sais EDT and near the picture is sais EDP.

mrclmind, wonderful description so full of love and charm! When I smelled Habit Rouge EdP the first time, in 2005, I was not very familiar with the world of perfume, Habit Rouge had been with me for more than ten years, but I had never smelled agarwood alone before. Therefore, I didn't know it was "agarwood". I just perceived it as warmer, richer and more golden than the normal Habit Rouge, and for quite some time, I thought it was all about extra vanilla! Actually, my ignorance was so massive, my focus on the vanilla so exclusive, that I hadn't understood that Habit Rouge is perhaps more about wood and patchouli than anything else!

I really agree with you that Habit Rouge EdP doesn't smell like a "flanker" - the agarwood addition doesn't smell like "some modern stuff thrown in just to make it new". It fits extremely nicely into the old Habit Rouge idea of golden, aromatic wood. Whenever I want a more elegant, refined and, yes, prolonged Habit Rouge evening, I always choose the EdP.

Where can the EDP be procured? I am very interested in trying it out.
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

I love both the EDC and EDP. The EDP is full of surprises, actually--juxtapositions that you'd think wouldn't work (citrus and smoky woods for example), but they work beautifully.

Oh no, I'd told myself I mustn't buy any more fragrance this month... but you're really selling this one to me! HR and oudh??!? A match made in heaven!
    ---
    Please visit www.dariushalavi.com.
    Many thanks.

I used up my sample (gifted) of this very quickly. It rocketed into my top favorites and my bottle is on its way now. Sooooo excited! The edt is just a mess on me and I have tried to enjoy it many times, but the edp is simply glorious. Great review Mrclmind.

I bought mine from Beauty Enhancement, a UK outfit because it was marginally less expensive even with shipping to the US, but another storefront on ebay has it as well... perfumedepot.123 (I haven't used either in the past so can't comment on them).

Strangely, TPC doesn't have samples of this.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Thank you Antaeus. Will be shopping next week! Habit Rouge is my favorite Guerlain.
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

I love this thread! Habit Rouge is my favourite fragrance. I find it very comforting and love to catch traces of it throughout the day. I bought the EDP about 6 months ago and was slightly reticent about trying a version of my favourite fragrance with, in my view, an incongruous oud note. However, I was blown away. I agree with all the comments about its slow progression and I believe its comparison to a classic Guerlain ladies fragrance is spot on. The fragrance is definitely still Habit Rouge but there has been a depth and a richness added which allows you to appreciate the original notes all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by wooznib View Post
    Where can the EDP be procured? I am very interested in trying it out.
    I was going to buy mine from Bergdorf Goodman, but I took a chance and bought it off Ebay from perfumedepot.123. Great seller!!

I was going to buy mine from Bergdorf Goodman, but I took a chance and bought it off Ebay from perfumedepot.123. Great seller!!
    I also got my bottle from the same eBay seller and it was identical to the decant I had so I can speak to its authenticity, if that is a concern for anyone.

Is there a recommended vendor(s) for Habit Rouge EDP?

It seems a bit more difficult to find than the EDT concentration.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Is there a recommended vendor(s) for Habit Rouge EDP?

It seems a bit more difficult to find than the EDT concentration.
    Other than the ebay vendor I describe above, Guerlain recommended Bergdorf Goodman... You might also try the Guerlain boutique in the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas. They ship same day and I get a lot of my hard to find Guerlain scents from them.

xxx(duplicate post)xxx
    Last edited by mrclmind; 12th February 2010 at 02:16 PM.

you can find it at www.fragrancedirect.co.uk at discount price

I love all three concentrations EdC, EdT and EdP ; they are all variations on the same notes with their own personality
    The pure perfume is also wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by germanomio View Post
    you can find it at www.fragrancedirect.co.uk at discount price

I love all three concentrations EdC, EdT and EdP ; they are all variations on the same notes with their own personality
    The pure perfume is also wonderful
    Where can I find the pure parfum?

Could anyone please tell me what "oud" is? And what it smells like?
    (Google says "The oud is a pear-shaped, stringed instrument commonly used in Middle Eastern music.")

I have the HR EdP too and would like to know what the "oud" note in it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis View Post
    Could anyone please tell me what "oud" is? And what it smells like?
    (Google says "The oud is a pear-shaped, stringed instrument commonly used in Middle Eastern music.")

I have the HR EdP too and would like to know what the "oud" note in it is.
    It is Agarwood, AKA Aloeswood. It is a very precious perfume ingredient that has been used for centuries, and is often used in the most expensive temple incenses. As a constituent in modern skin wearing perfumes it is more common in middle eastern scents, but has been gaining much popularity in western perfumery in the past 15 years or so (probably due to the development of oud type synthetic aroma chemicals).

The fragrance profile of Aoud, oud, agarwood or aloeswood can vary from warm and sensual to bitter and medicinal depending on the region the wood itself has been grown, the quality of the wood, how the oil has been extracted and also how it is blended with other ingredients.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 13th February 2010 at 01:47 PM.

Where can I find the pure parfum?
    Habit rouge L'extrait was released in the fall of 2008 and has quickly sold out. According to a poster on the Perfume of Life board who talked to a rep at guerlain Paris they are going to re-release it in 2010.
    I got a small sample of this from my local Saks when they had it and it is also another very good take on Habit Rouge.

The fragrancedirect.co.uk advert shows the wrong bottle but judging by the RRP (£52.00) and the product review left by a purchaser on the 27th January 2010 (see below) it seems it may be the EDP formulation:

This is basically a deeper and even more more sensual version of the original habit Rouge. the additional oudh-note works very well with the composition.

This makes it substantially cheaper than the £45.99 + £2.99 p+p it is going for on Ebay.

I have just made a purchase (not Habit Rouge alas..!) from fragrancedirect.co.uk and the service was impeccable - ordered via Ebay - delivered in excellent packaging with next day delivery for £1.95 - Recommended!!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Another excellent review, mrclmind. The EDC doesn't quite agree with me, but you made the EDP sound so intriguing...

Thank you, mrclmind, for another excellent review, but more importantly for expanding my insight into this fragrance, which I've now worn a handful of times over the past year. I could not quite capture my impressions of this one, but you have and for that I thank you.
    Last edited by wicozani; 12th February 2010 at 04:17 PM.

Nieman Marcus has it.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Institution

Well...I must say all of these positive comments has made me consider re-sampling this.

One question: Is there a noticeable difference between 'vintage' and 'new' Eau de Parfum?

I didn't realize the EDP was old enough to have a vintage version.

Habit rouge L'extrait was released in the fall of 2008 and has quickly sold out. According to a poster on the Perfume of Life board who talked to a rep at guerlain Paris they are going to re-release it in 2010.
    I got a small sample of this from my local Saks when they had it and it is also another very good take on Habit Rouge.
    Does it also have the oud note in it? What other, if any, variances from the EDT or EDC does the extrait exhibit?

Does it also have the oud note in it? What other, if any, variances from the EDT or EDC does the extrait exhibit?
    This is from one small vial of it I got to test which was really only one wear. I don't remember feeling the oud but I experienced the extrait before the EDP and have become much more familair with the development of the EDP.
    My memory of the extrait was of a very soft version of Habit Rouge where the spices were muted and the whole came off as much more of a close wearing version. I liked it well enough but I tried to wait until the Saks friends and family sale to get 40% off and by the time that rolled around someone bought it out from underneath me. I will probably be more pro-active if gthey re-release it.
    L'Extrait is probably the most subtle version of Habit Rouge I've encountered.

I saw the extrait at the Guerlain boutique at Epcot a year and an half ago. In case anyone starts getting their hopes up to buy this when it's re-released, consider that it was several hundred (that's right) dollars when I saw it. I'm pretty sure it was packaged in a crystal bottle, so it might not be so dear if it's re-released in glass. Alas, I wasn't able to give it a sniff; they didn't have a tester.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 12th February 2010 at 05:50 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    I saw the extrait at the Guerlain boutique at Epcot a year and an half ago. In case anyone starts getting their hopes up to buy this when it's re-released, consider that it was several hundred (that's right) dollars when I saw it. I'm pretty sure it was packaged in a crystal bottle, so it might not be so dear if it's re-released in glass. Alas, I wasn't able to give it a sniff; they didn't have a tester.
    The bottle they had at Saks did not seem like a crystal collectible bottle. It was expensive at $320 and that's why I was waiting for the discount to kick in.

Habit Rouge EdP
    I actually purchased this just because I saw Agarwood in the pyramid
    to be honest I tried it maybe once, and did not get a good feel for the agarwood (which I guess maybe I shouldn't)
    but this post commands a re sampling !
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

All Guerlain extraits are ~$300 for 30 ml.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    All Guerlain extraits are ~$300 for 30 ml.
    And worth every penny IMO.

Basenotes Institution

I didn't realize the EDP was old enough to have a vintage version.
    I think you are right. I re-read this thread, and a BN member asserted that the juice inside the EdP bottles and the new Beau Cavalier bottles (the metallic one) is the same.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th February 2010 at 03:02 AM.

It is Agarwood, AKA Aloeswood. It is a very precious perfume ingredient that has been used for centuries, and is often used in the most expensive temple incenses. As a constituent in modern skin wearing perfumes it is more common in middle eastern scents, but has been gaining much popularity in western perfumery in the past 15 years or so (probably due to the development of oud type synthetic aroma chemicals).

The fragrance profile of Aoud, oud, agarwood or aloeswood can very from warm and sensual to bitter and medicinal depending on the region the wood itself has been grown, the quality of the wood, how the oil has been extracted and also how it is blended with other ingredients.

Thanks very much, mrclmind, for your elucidation.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I think you are right. I re-read this thread, and a BN member asserted that the juice inside the EdP bottles and the new Beau Cavalier bottles (the metallic one) is the same.
    This might have been me. I bought my bottle in Nîmes/France last year. The Cavalier bottle was a bit more expensive but oh! so ugly. Therefore I bought the leather-clad bottle. It was about 73 euros. The saleslady assured me the juice in both bottles was exactly the same.

Mrclmind -- Thanks for letting me know about the EDP version in the beautiful red leather bottle. The bottle alone would have been reason enough to get it! Just snagged it on Ebay. Can't wait to revisit one of my top 5 fragrances.
    Last edited by MikeNY; 13th February 2010 at 02:04 PM.

Wishful thinking Habit Rouge L'Extrait was only sold in the normal 50 ml travel glass bottles, although the sprayer was remade to only spray drops/squirts, not diffusions - which is one of the small details that I love Guerlain for! Its price per ml was slightly lower than for their feminines. Btw, all Guerlain extraits are sold in glass bottles, not crystal, except for special limited editions (and a much higher price).

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    I saw the extrait at the Guerlain boutique at Epcot a year and an half ago [...] I'm pretty sure it was packaged in a crystal bottle, so it might not be so dear if it's re-released in glass.

Interestingly enough, I did a full side-by-side wearing of the EDP and the EDT on two arms yesterday... and while the development of the EDP was much slower, the EDT is the one I can still smell this morning, not the EDP... so EDT wins for longevity. Go figure.

The scents are really different enough to warrant purchasing each concentration if you like them though. Wearing the EDP was quite intoxicating. I think it may be tying for first place as far as my favorite HR right now. I'll need to spend more time with it to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    Wishful thinking Habit Rouge L'Extrait was only sold in the normal 50 ml travel glass bottles, although the sprayer was remade to only spray drops/squirts, not diffusions - which is one of the small details that I love Guerlain for! Its price per ml was slightly lower than for their feminines. Btw, all Guerlain extraits are sold in glass bottles, not crystal, except for special limited editions (and a much higher price).
    Thanks for the correction, G. I guess I assumed it was in crystal because of its high cost. I do wish I'd been able to sample it...
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Can any of you HR pros advise a concentration or flanker with less lemon than the EdT? I love HR EdT but think it would be perfect with a touch less of the lemon opening. THANKS!
    Last edited by MikeNY; 13th February 2010 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY911 View Post
    Can any of you HR pros advise a concentration or flanker with less lemon than the EdT? I love HR EdT but think it would be perfect with a touch less of the lemon opening. THANKS!
    the EDP has very little of the citrus component in comparison to the other ones.

I am seriously toying with buying this blind as I love the EDT so much...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I'm a little late, but I really benefited from the thread and thought I'd throw my two cents in, regarding the Beau Cavalier limited edition.

A local luxury retailer carries both the regular edp and the Beau Cavalier. I tested the Beau Cavalier first, went happily on my way, and had my heart set on buying it. I checked BN and noticed a few threads saying that Beau Cavalier and the regular edp were just differences in packaging. So I returned, armed with certain knowledge, and tested the regular edp prior to putting my money down. But doubt set in. Was it the same as I remembered? I didn't feel so sure. Then dutiful SA said, "Oh, but try the Beau Cavalier. Limited edition. It's spicier."

I tested the BC a second time. And yes, it smelled like it had a little more spice and... a bit more wood. I can pick out the oud better, and it smells a bit richer and woodsier on my skin than the regular edp.

Has anyone else been able to test both the regular edp and the Beau Cavalier edition? Despite comments to the contrary, I think the juice is a little different. Thoughts?

Nice review mrclmind. I had to pull the trigger and order one from the same seller you got yours from. It's being shipped and I should get it in a few days. I once got a sample of Habit Rouge EDP from a generous Basenotes legend when I was just getting started, and I loved it. I didn't think it was my style at the time, but I could tell it was something special. Strangely, I didn't know it contained oud until a few years later, but my first reaction was that it smelled like M7, though I chalked it up to labdanum/vanilla (similar to Mr. Guerlain's perception).

Habit Rouge is just a very unique fragrance that is in its own class. I have the EDC, EDT and Legere versions and each is a masterpiece in its own way. My favorite is the EDC--it's so crisp and fresh, with such a mellow, leathery animalic base--it smells like some mysterious fourth state of matter. The EDT I like somewhat less-- for some reason, it taxes my nose with its musks and can give me a headache if I am not careful. It's a vintage bottle, and from what I've read, newer reformulations have cleaned it up and streamlined its aroma a little. I like the Legere quite a bit--it's a younger, more modern take on Habit Rouge. It's still a bit harder edged than the EDC with the bright neroli and fizzy lime--I mentioned before that I left a bottle on my bathroom shelf along with 11 other bottles of cologne while I was having a party--several of my guests, both men and women, were spraying the Habit Rouge Legere on themselves when they visited the bathroom.

I've been really digging the concept of close-wearing EDPs lately, and one of the things about Habit Rouge is--it's a beautiful scent, but it can be a bit loud, headache-inducing and sinus clogging if not worn carefully. I remember the EDP to be very much geared toward those sweet, resinous leathery basenotes, rather than the dusty, powdery top and middle. I can't wait to get my bottle.

Is it wrapped in real leather?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bon Vivant View Post
    Has anyone else been able to test both the regular edp and the Beau Cavalier edition? Despite comments to the contrary, I think the juice is a little different. Thoughts?
    I have both and can't detect any difference whatsoever. I really think that expectations can affect perceptions.

And, the EdP is not wrapped in REAL, but imitated leather...

Just got back from a Beverly Hills sampling run with Asha and picked up a sample vial of Beau Cavalier. Very similar to HR EdT, but much smoother and more refined with less bite to me. I'm still working a big bottle of the EdT or I'd have been very tempted to pick this up.

I'm a patient guy, but I'm still not too comfortable with HR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    I have both and can't detect any difference whatsoever. I really think that expectations can affect perceptions.

And, the EdP is not wrapped in REAL, but imitated leather...
    I understand that the "leather accord" is not from real leather, just as "tobacco" scents are not made from real tobacco.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I understand that the "leather accord" is not from real leather, just as "tobacco" scents are not made from real tobacco.
    I think Mr. G was referring to the leather wrapped bottle of the EdP, Primrose, not a leather accord.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Some tobacco frags do have natural tobacco essential oil in them...but I think the tobacco "impression" comes from a combination of notes, so perhaps that is what you meant.

Thanks Mike yes I meant the BOTTLE, not the juice

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I think Mr. G was referring to the leather wrapped bottle of the EdP, Primrose, not a leather accord.

I just got my NIB bottle of Habit Rouge EDP. Fantastic!

The Oud is very noticeable in this--almost a dusty, rubber balloon like quality --strange that I also thought I noticed this accord in Habit Rouge Legere. Like Mrclmind says, this does seem to evolve slowly. I only put in on my skin about 10 minutes ago so I don't know exactly where it's going, but I do get a few subtle changes as it moves from woody to sweet. I'll post more when I've spent more time with it.

The bottle is an instant favorite. I already liked the modern Habit Rouge bottles, but the leather wrap is such a classy touch.

How would you compare Habit Rouge with Penhaligons Hamam Bouquet?