Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Habit Rouge EDP

Default Re: Habit Rouge EDP

The Hammam is far more floral/spice while the Habit Rouge is more of an oriental with vanilla and agarwood.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't find much similar in the two personally (Hammam/HR EDP). Not comparable at all in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    The Hammam is far more floral/spice while the Habit Rouge is more of an oriental with vanilla and agarwood.
    Yes, and Hammam Bouquet is far more on the Victorian-style side.
    Last edited by easyfish; 19th February 2011 at 05:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I don't find much similar in the two personally (Hammam/HR EDP). Not comparable at all in my opinion.
    Which one do you prefer? Which one is most powdery?

Post Thanks / Like

I have both Oslo. Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier (EDP) is probably my favorite scent right now. I had difficulty embracing the HR EDT, but something resonated with the EDP. I sampled it on a test run with some LA Basenoters and fell in love. One of two scents I backed up right aways since I realized it was a limited release in USA. I personally don't tend to think of it much as a oud scent, but that oud must certainly must contribute a lot to my loving it. It always makes me confident and comfortable when I wear it. Very well blended scent, and I find the EDP version far outlasts the EDT version.

As others have said, Hammam is much more of an old school scent, from another era. I have to be in the right mood to wear it. It is way more "dandified" in a way. I also think Turin may be right about this being a shadow of what it probably was when made with better ingredients. I'm not knocking the current scent- I like it, but I bet the original version from the 1800s would blow away this current version.

Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier just works for me in almost any situation. Feels timeless to me. I'm sure it wears too mature for some guys here, but I think many would change their minds if they wore it a few times. I find the Guerlains to be coy and not reveal themselves to anyone right away. I can't give the sort of analysis that mrclmind can give of the notes, it just works for me on every level- even the sort of odd screechy few minutes of opening notes. I think it's the smoooothest scent I have.

I can't say which is more powdery. Hammam probably more so to my nose.

BTW- To my understanding, the Beau Cavalier version is the same scent as the current European EDP version. It was just a limited edition release in North America with a special bottle. I think I know enough about your tastes at this point Oslo to nearly demand you at least sample it. Get enough of sample to wear a couple of times. I don't think they are very similar scents per se. But I do think if you like Hammam Bouquet, there's a good chance you will like HR EDP.

edit: I recently wore it to a Dr. appointment. The doc loved it and demanded to know what it was. Wrote it down. Sadly, he had no patience for the explanation about the EDT vs EDP, limited availabiltiy, difficulty of finding it in the Guerlain section at Saks, etc. Wonder if he ever looked for it?
    Last edited by StylinLA; 19th February 2011 at 06:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I have both Oslo. Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier (EDP) is probably my favorite scent right now. I had difficulty embracing the HR EDT, but something resonated with the EDP. I sampled it on a test run with some LA Basenoters and fell in love. One of two scents I backed up right aways since I realized it was a limited release in USA. I personally don't tend to think of it much as a oud scent, but that oud must certainly must contribute a lot to my loving it. It always makes me confident and comfortable when I wear it. Very well blended scent, and I find the EDP version far outlasts the EDT version.

As others have said, Hammam is much more of an old school scent, from another era. I have to be in the right mood to wear it. It is way more "dandified" in a way. I also think Turin may be right about this being a shadow of what it probably was when made with better ingredients. I'm not knocking the current scent- I like it, but I bet the original version from the 1800s would blow away this current version.

Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier just works for me in almost any situation. Feels timeless to me. I'm sure it wears too mature for some guys here, but I think many would change their minds if they wore it a few times. I find the Guerlains to be coy and not reveal themselves to anyone right away. I can't give the sort of analysis that mrclmind can give of the notes, it just works for me on every level- even the sort of odd screechy few minutes of opening notes. I think it's the smoooothest scent I have.

I can't say which is more powdery. Hammam probably more so to my nose.

BTW- To my understanding, the Beau Cavalier version is the same scent as the current European EDP version. It was just a limited edition release in North America with a special bottle. I think I know enough about your tastes at this point Oslo to nearly demand you at least sample it. Get enough of sample to wear a couple of times. I don't think they are very similar scents per se. But I do think if you like Hammam Bouquet, there's a good chance you will like HR EDP.

edit: I recently wore it to a Dr. appointment. The doc loved it and demanded to know what it was. Wrote it down. Sadly, he had no patience for the explanation about the EDT vs EDP, limited availabiltiy, difficulty of finding it in the Guerlain section at Saks, etc. Wonder if he ever looked for it?

Thanks for your oppinion! I have tried the edt version couple of years ago, and as far I remember I wasn`t a fan of that one. I remember it was unique and special, but maby to feminine for me. Now, my taste has grown to like more refined stuff. I like scents that are classical, oriental, spicy, woody, modern-refined and stylish, but not to dated and with "old man" aura. The EDP is unaviable in my country, so it must be a blind-buy.. I like Opium pour homme edt. Maby I will like H-R edp?

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tired Opium Pour Homme, so I can't compare. HR EdP is fairly different than the EdT. Hard to call it "modern" but doesn't smell "old" imo. But it is not contemporary. Lives in a place beyond that sort of classification.
    It is indeed classical, oriental, refined and stylish.

The "dated" is going to vary in opinion from person to person I'd say.

If you're going to buy HR EDP online these days, I think you have to be careful, since there has apparently recently been a reformulation. For more information, see the following thread:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/260...-Reformulated?

The gist of it as I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that at the same time as reformulating the juice, they also removed the red leather "jacket" surrounding the bottle. I'm not sure how it is now, but a few months ago then there seemed to be some places online selling the new stuff advertised with pictures of the old bottle, which obviously doesn't help.

There are still bottles of the old stuff around, but I think you have to be careful you're getting the right stuff. I picked up a bottle from the eBay seller mentioned by others further up this thread (perfumedepot.123). No affiliation, but they might still have some old bottles - probably best to check about the red leather jacket before ordering though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Which one do you prefer? Which one is most powdery?
    Habit Rouge is my favorite of the two. The EDT is a bit more powdery than the EDP in that the EDP has the oud which somewhat cuts the powder a bit IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have always liked Habit Rouge, but when I tried the EDP my love affair with this fragrance intensified. I much prefer the EDP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    I have always liked Habit Rouge, but when I tried the EDP my love affair with this fragrance intensified. I much prefer the EDP.
    Knew you'd show up here Tesla. I wore it myself today after reading this thread. Magnificent.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your oppinion! I have tried the edt version couple of years ago, and as far I remember I wasn`t a fan of that one. I remember it was unique and special, but maby to feminine for me. Now, my taste has grown to like more refined stuff. I like scents that are classical, oriental, spicy, woody, modern-refined and stylish, but not to dated and with "old man" aura. The EDP is unaviable in my country, so it must be a blind-buy.. I like Opium pour homme edt. Maby I will like H-R edp?
    Oslo, just skip it. If you're concerned that Habit Rouge edt is too feminine and fear scents with your "old man" aura, just skip the option to expand. What difference does it make what any of us like regarding the edt or the edp if you're so taken by and held back by your fears? Skip it and avoid your purchase. Stay where you are.

Further, I think you've been here long enough to read a thousand posts that have told other members that to know their answer they have to do the smelling themselves. So you should do the smelling yourself if you want to fear a blind buy. You've read a few thousand posts about seeking samples and ordering decants. So take some responsibility and do that yourself.

Generally though, if you're afraid of the scent skip it and don't buy.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

How would you compare Habit Rouge with Penhaligons Hamam Bouquet?
    They don't compare at all. Nothing shared in common.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I love the EDP much much more than the EDT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Oslo, just skip it. If you're concerned that Habit Rouge edt is too feminine and fear scents with your "old man" aura, just skip the option to expand. What difference does it make what any of us like regarding the edt or the edp if you're so taken by and held back by your fears? Skip it and avoid your purchase. Stay where you are.

Further, I think you've been here long enough to read a thousand posts that have told other members that to know their answer they have to do the smelling themselves. So you should do the smelling yourself if you want to fear a blind buy. You've read a few thousand posts about seeking samples and ordering decants. So take some responsibility and do that yourself.

Generally though, if you're afraid of the scent skip it and don't buy.
    Thanks for your advice. I would like to try it, but it`s not aviable in my country.. Where can i order samples of the EDP version?