Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arrow Your Favourite ISO E Super Scents

What are your favourite scents with ISO E Super?
    Last edited by Spray; 12th February 2010 at 02:12 PM.

Default Re: Is ISO E Super?

As I have stated elsewhere, ISO E Super, contrary to popular belief by many on these boards, is not an inherently evil aroma chemical; in my opinion, it is to perfumery what "auto tune" is to popular music. It can either be used to good effect, or it can be used to make everything smell alike, and also to take an inferior formula and make it smell "modern" and marketable.

A few department store type cases where I think it is used well are: Terre d'Hermes, Grey Vetiver and Black Fleece.

Wow Spray, you're really glib, aren't you? But I am glad that you've asked this inevitable question. ISO E S has an amazingly, overblown, bad name here, that feels quite unjust. Yes it's ubiquitous and over used, and all that, but it's sort of like the modern version of aldehydes, only this time it's about the base and not the top notes. I guess it's brought us to where we are now.
    My favorite? Féminité du Bois, for sure.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 12th February 2010 at 07:46 PM.

FIERCE
    Jubilation XXV

A little can help out pretty much any woody/aromatic fragrance, and can imparted much needed texture and dryness to orientals. But when it dominates, the scents smell way too "Fuzzy/buzzy", and too transparent. On it's own it smells like a dry, fuzzy, woody note with endearing hints of resins and green apple. I for one, like it, but too many use too much, hence all the hysterical overreactions here. I recall one thread where the TS wanted recommendations of vetiver or woody scents which used ZERO Iso-E-Super. LOL Boogeyman style.

It took me ages to start to get an idea of what Iso E Super actually smelled like, as many folks describe it as "cedary", and to my nose it's nothing like cedar, Atlas or Virginia. Iso E Super makes things cooler, drier, more transparent, and somehow "magnifies" them, from what I can tell. I don't really find it to have a distinct personality of it's own; it's more of a background player. Almost more a "nose feel" than a note, as silly as that sounds.

To my nose, Lalique's Perles is a very nice, very modern chypre, and it's 80% Iso E Super. Despite the widespread Iso-hate on Basenotes, its reviews are all positive: http://www.basenotes.net/ID10212030/reviews.html
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 12th February 2010 at 08:18 AM.

I have smelled this in French lover and Jubilation fragrances and I think it augments them quite well. I have no problem with this.

Jubilation XXV.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    What are your favourite scents with ISO E Super?
    Hi,

Me myself does not join the appraisal. I dislike it a lot. But I always mentioned that others do like it and that is without any doubt all right with me.

One caveat of Iso E Super is, that its (over)use becomes apparent only after some time when the perfume should fade but doesn't. The debris of the perfume - that Iso E Super, technically spoken a "fixative" - can be a pain in the a* especially when an other scent should take over. Iso E Super itself is for my nose overwhelmingly 0-dimensional. It is boring to death - again, that said for my nose.

I think it is totally ok to suggest to use perfumes for 2..3 full wears before purchasing. Especially when they are Iso E Super loaded.

Have Fun!

PS, On Topic: Escentric Molecules 01 is the best rendition of Iso E Super, a revelation of its merits, a statement, timeless classic.
    Last edited by merry.waters; 12th February 2010 at 11:02 AM.

I have a problem with fragrances that have a dry, raspy cedary base.

I'm sure I like or love several fragrances with ISO E Super, but that I don't really pay attention to it when it's used in a wellblended, smooth, rich fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I recall one thread where the TS wanted recommendations of vetiver or woody scents which used ZERO Iso-E-Super. LOL Boogeyman style.
    That was me? I've found such. Its easy if one takes the labor to compare. Why should "wood" and/or "vetiver" use Iso E Super as a fixative? Both are already fixatives themselves. Often used in the good old times, generic to whole classes of perfume style (fern, cypres).

I remember complaints about dull basenotes (get the pun) in modern perfumery. Figure, HERMES would load its Eau D'Orange Vert with ISO and sell it not as a cologne but as a "perfume". It's longevity would be outstanding, but does it pay to smell the first 30minutes the interesting part - already smooooooothed out by the Iso - and for 24hours after that let alone with infamous Iso and none else?

It's a matter of taste. I'm gone for vintage perfumes.

Have Fun! Take Care!
    Last edited by merry.waters; 12th February 2010 at 11:23 AM.

Shiseido Feminite du Bois
    Lalique Encre Noir
    Lolita Lempicka (women's)

In response to mrclmind...I do not think Iso E Super is "evil", but I am really tired of its use as a mindless filler. The three I listed are some that use it as a well-integrated ingredient and not some default mall-scent base.

Default Re: Your Favourite ISO E Super Scents

I love Terre d'Hermes, and also like to wear Escentric 01 from time to time.

Is there a thread of perfumes with high dose of Iso E Super?

Sur la Plage

I love ISO E Super! I pour it on my Wheaties in the morning - the breakfast of champions!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

I'm not too sensitive to Iso E Super, especially if well integrated. A few favorites:-

Encre Noire
    Jubilation XXV
    Terre d'Hermes

Both Cartier Declaration and Terre d'Hermes, about equally and, of course, both created by Jean-Claude Ellena.

I sort of like the big, bad ISO-E. That fizzy, spikiness is really kind of nice to me, and I haven't tired of it (yet).

I like it in French Lover, TdH and Grey Vetiver. I haven't smelled Encre Noir, but I'm sure I'd like that, too.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Cumarin View Post
    Is there a thread of perfumes with high dose of Iso E Super?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I love ISO E Super! I pour it on my Wheaties in the morning - the breakfast of champions!
    It must really increase your longevity in the bedroom.

I think I am largely anosmic to it. Some frags with high levels like Grey Vetiver or Dirty English, I simply cannot smell at all. I spray the tester strip, and all I can smell is the paper of the strip. Nothing else.

However many of the frags I like are supposedly ISO E Super heavy, like Cartier Declaration (40%).
    Last edited by Carlos; 12th February 2010 at 08:40 PM.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

I almost immediately detected Iso E Super in Grey Vetiver - but it does give the fragrance a rounded feel. I also like its use in Terre d'Hermes where it is important in the illusion of the damp earth accord. Another of my fave's is Dior Fanhrenheit which, imo, makes its Iso E Super-ness more apparent in the reformulated version after a downgrade in quality of its violet-leaf note.

One also has to mention Feminite Du Bois.
    -

Basenotes Institution

Hermessence Poivre Samarcande by Hermes

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Hermessence Poivre Samarcande by Hermes
    Whattttt...I would have never guessed. That smells so organic and natural. I have been testing this scent out for two weeks now. I even got a compliment from my girlfriends mother. This is a great pepper scent..

Quote Originally Posted by megatropolis View Post
    Whattttt...I would have never guessed. That smells so organic and natural. I have been testing this scent out for two weeks now. I even got a compliment from my girlfriends mother. This is a great pepper scent..
    If it's Ellena, it's got to be ISO E Super.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 13th February 2010 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    If it's Ellena, it's got to be ISO E Super.
    Yeah, it's like Juilan Schnabel and velvet...lol.

The chemical in question does not reveal its terrrror to everybody. Only the ignited are enlightened. Honest, Iso E made a career from a fixative to some kind of "note". Alas, the note is quite unpleasing in its triviality - to me. Maybe I personally identify it on the spot as a single molecule, while others perceive a more complex sensation. It's a matter of taste. I know a lot of people face to face who enjoy Iso E even on my skin.

Due to its longevity Iso E may interfere with other scents used afterwards. Again, a matter of taste. My favorate Iso E Super scent is Escentric Molecules #01. A pure concept.

ps an other example: 'received some pure molecules from perfumers apprentice. The chemical "Pharaone" from Givaudan shows an effect I would like to apply pure. It switches between two sensations ongoingly: "red" and "green". The smell doesn't melt into something in between. 'May become nauseating, though.
    Last edited by merry.waters; 13th February 2010 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by merry.waters View Post
    The smell doesn't melt into something in between. 'May become nauseating, though.
    I had that problem with Terre d'Hermes -- the persistent flint note became nauseating in full wear.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Iso E Super is very trendy to use, and thus very trendy to disapprove of. Everything has its place IMO. It's all a matter of how something is used.

Ambergris, Civet, Musk all were considered fixatives back in the day. But you can't deny their use as actual fragrance components either. I can't stand the way many perfumers have employed these notes, but I don't blame the notes.

Part of the job of educating our noses in order to achieve a level of sophistication in scent appreciation is to eschew the habit of biases against particular notes and judge each composition on its own merits (IMO of course). That is the first thing a budding perfumer must learn to do. Otherwise they limit their palate. A master would never tolerate such biases in an apprentice. Instead of saying "I hate (note/constituent)," they are taught to ask, "how might I employ this note in an effective manner?"

We, as people who appreciate what these artists do, must also learn (IMO) how to keep an open mind as far as our prejudices toward particular constituents are concerned. Otherwise we are just short changing ourselves and will never reach a level of appreciation of perfumery beyond what we have made ourselves accustomed to enjoying.

It's the same way for music and art appreciation... in order to really become educated we must stretch beyond our comfort zones and keep our minds open. Just something I learned a long time ago.

I for one can't stand the way ISO E Super is employed by the majority of compositions in which it is highlighted. But I don't blame the chemical. I also can't stand the way auto tune is employed in much of modern popular music, but that doesn't mean that I blame the technology. In fact I have heard Auto Tune used (occasionally) in some extremely effective ways. It's always a matter of how something is used. Don't blame the color if you don't like the way the artist paints.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 15th February 2010 at 06:37 PM.

Redirected here by a link in a more recent thread - - -

We, as people who appreciate what these artists do, must also learn (IMO) how to keep an open mind as far as our prejudices toward particular constituents are concerned. Otherwise we are just short changing ourselves and will never reach a level of appreciation of perfumery beyond what we have made ourselves accustomed to enjoying.
    IMO: It has always been my impression that people in France and adjacent countries are rather careful using the words 'art' and 'artist' within the world of perfumes, and there may be good reasons to keep that up. Perfumes want to primarily please their wearers - the more the better; paintings less so. Perfumes are the bastard of a consumer good industry and intangibles like lifestyle, romantic and other illusions, cleverly sold as one.

No school of composition knows the secret of how to create another Mozart or Furtwängler. Geniuses are born. There is also no dynasty of noses. It's just convenient to step into dad's business.

Of course, average Joe, i.e. most of us, grow with our experiences. But not all experiences in life are predominantly a challenge to the intellect. Scents open our hearts naturally, and it's by healthy instinct when we turn our nose away from smells we dislike. My personal reaction to the infamous Iso: headaches! They vanished with the bottle I sold. As we develop, we constantly also re-evaluate things around us. Not trying too hard was a good way for me to get there. I let it happen, and suddenly I notice that some things that meant so much decades ago mean nothing to me now, while others still are beautiful. And that could be a perfume, a song, or a sculpture.

Any 'musts' in the world of arts may be useful for good performances but essentially mean the end of all creativity, the well of life!
    Last edited by narcus; 16th February 2010 at 01:09 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Carven Homme
    Dior Homme EDT
    Dior Homme Cologne
    Must de Cartier Pour Homme Essence
    Burberry Weekend for Women EDP

Last edited by scentemental; 17th February 2010 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Redirected here by a link in a more recent thread - - - IMO: It has always been my impression that people in France and adjacent countries are rather careful using the words 'art' and 'artist' within the world of perfumes, and there may be good reasons to keep that up. Perfumes want to primarily please their wearers - the more the better; paintings less so. Perfumes are the bastard of a consumer good industry and intangibles like lifestyle, romantic and other illusions, cleverly sold as one.

No school of composition knows the secret of how to create another Mozart or Furtwängler. Geniuses are born. There is also no dynasty of noses. It's just convenient to step into dad's business.

Of course, average Joe, i.e. most of us, grow with our experiences. But not all experiences in life are predominantly a challenge to the intellect. Scents open our hearts naturally, and it's by healthy instinct when we turn our nose away from smells we dislike. My personal reaction to the infamous Iso: headaches! They vanished with the bottle I sold. As we develop, we constantly also re-evaluate things around us. Not trying too hard was a good way for me to get there. I let it happen, and suddenly I notice that some things that meant so much decades ago mean nothing to me now, while others still are beautiful. And that could be a perfume, a song, or a sculpture.

Any 'musts' in the world of arts may be useful for good performances but essentially mean the end of all creativity, the well of life!
    So what about ISO E Super?

So what about ISO E Super?
    I think Narcus meant that the widespread use of Iso e super, mainly for commercial reasons rather than those of creative integrity, is vacuous and works against that thing which is so hard to grasp in the short term (but at the same time solid as a rock in the long run) : genuine quality.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

TDH EDP and Encre Noire.

Blog Entries

This thread sure explains why I like Declaration, Terre d'Hermes, and Encre Noire. I still don't know what the hell it is. LOL. I guess it's a molecule that produces a velvety wood note? *shrug*

Lalique Encre Noir
    Terre d'Hermes EDT and EDP
    Cartier Declaration
    Cartier Declaration essence
    Dior Homme

I have all these and I love em, does that make me an ISO E SUPER lover ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    This thread sure explains why I like Declaration, Terre d'Hermes, and Encre Noire. I still don't know what the hell it is. LOL. I guess it's a molecule that produces a velvety wood note? *shrug*
    Would You mind to sleep in velvet sheets? Sure! The velvet feels curious in the first place, but after two ... three touches it will begin to bore You. And if it doesn't stop, it will bother. The same with NEXTEL coatings: http://www.nextel-coating.com/nextel/default.asp Literally nobody will stand to have it around everywhere!

Let's go back to -basenotes- that leave something to discover.

Would You mind to sleep in velvet sheets? Sure! The velvet feels curious in the first place, but after two ... three touches it will begin to bore You. Let's go back to -basenotes- that leave something to discover.
    Are you trying to convince people to dislike their likes? Sometimes people don't want to discover basenotes, they may simply want to swim in a pool of ISO E - a nightmare for you, but heaven for them!

I love Terre d'Hermes and Grey Vetiver!

C A N N O N B A L L !
    Last edited by Spray; 17th February 2010 at 03:24 AM.

Are you trying to convince people to dislike their likes? ... they may simply want to swim in a pool of ISO E - a nightmare for you, but heaven for them!

I love Terre d'Hermes and Grey Vetiver!
    No. I would like to explain my distinctive style to the natives. Regarding Your not so secret wishes I suggest a purchase at

http://store.perfumersapprentice.com/ac-1700.html
    Last edited by merry.waters; 16th February 2010 at 11:22 PM.

I would like to explain my distinctive style to the natives.
    I know what happens when Europeans try to explain their distinctive style to the natives!
    Last edited by Spray; 17th February 2010 at 12:24 AM.

Iso E Super is hit and miss for me. JCE seems to use it better than Duchaufour does, and whoever blends for Ormonde Jayne uses it beautifully. Mark Buxton also seems quite fond of it. Favourites:

The Different Company Osmanthus
    Le Labo Rose 31
    Ormonde Man
    Frederic Malle French Lover
    Frederic Malle Angeliques sous la pluie

I know what happens when Europeans try to explain their distinctive style to the natives!
    Hmm, so You do not feel in an European way about scented style? What else, curios, really! I appreciate Your fun with Iso E Super (get Your dose and more at perfumers apprentice, linked above). Alas, I have to stand aside.

Black Ink, baby!

the 10ml pure iso e super bottle i have smells kinda woody peppery by itself. that said, it's mainly an amber. it has a soft voice but it's very diffusive. your hermessence poivre samarcande smells very much like there's lots of iso e super in it.

How can you guys actually " know" if a scent contains iso-e super, or do you only " think" it´s in it by smelling.Than you must have a pretty good and trained nose.(which unfortunately I doubt is the case for the majority of visitors on here)
    Pretty hilarious if you ask me,a bunch of fragrance lovers, talking like perfumers or fragrance analists.
    Or do you analise your scents with a spectroscope at home?
    Sorry,but watchin all those " iso-e-super"bla,bla.. threads, I just had to get it off my chest.
    No offence to some real perfumers visiting this board (if there are)
    Last edited by eric; 3rd March 2010 at 04:12 PM.

eric, once you know exactly what a molecule smells like, it really is not that hard, given that there's a fair amount of the chemical in the perfume so you can detect it's presence as an individual note. very small amounts can be a different story, and requires a trained mind's nose indeed. but then again, hobbyists can educate themselves. you can buy small amounts of these chemicals (they are usually cheap). dilute them to 10% in ethanol and they're ready to be explored.

I'm hyposmic to Iso E Super. To me, it smells like almost nothing.

It strikes me as being to perfumery what Monosodium Glutamate is to food. Will we eventually have the "Chinese restaurant effect", where perfume bottles come with stickers saying "Contains NO Iso E Super"?

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    How can you guys actually " know" if a scent contains iso-e super, or do you only " think" it´s in it by smelling.
    Because I pulled my reference to Iso E Super from a list of fragrances with the highest amounts of Iso E Super in them. I didn't pull my mention of 80% Iso E Super out of thin air.

As Gido said, for some chemicals, one can readily detect them even if one is not a professional ( most, I honestly can't identify individually, but some are fairly obvious to me, like fragrances with high amounts of eugenol or methyl-salicylate ).

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    How can you guys actually " know" if a scent contains iso-e super, or do you only " think" it´s in it by smelling.Than you must have a pretty good and trained nose.(which unfortunately I doubt is the case for the majority of visitors on here)
    Pretty hilarious if you ask me,a bunch of fragrance lovers, talking like perfumers or fragrance analists.
    Or do you analise your scents with a spectroscope at home?
    Sorry,but watchin all those " iso-e-super"bla,bla.. threads, I just had to get it off my chest.
    No offence to some real perfumers visiting this board (if there are)
    As in an other thread

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/247...ust-well-Dirty

someone - incidentially me pointed out, Iso E Super is a so called fixative technically spoken. This implicates some issues when overdosed. These are a bit different from former aroma chemicals as Hedione pp.
    Last edited by merry.waters; 3rd March 2010 at 05:17 PM.

Bleecker Street
    French Lover
    Terre d'Hermes
    Un Jardin sur le Nil
    Jubilation XXV
    Black XS
    Light Blue for Women
    Kyoto
    Fierce
    CDG 2 MAN

...are all very good ones.

Angeliques sous la Pluie and Bigarade Concentree might have a little bit in them, but it's not noticeable to me, and therefore just right. Those are actually my two favorite scents right now.
    Sales thread here

FdB.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Rive Gauche PH. (It does contain ISO E S, does it not?)

Quote Originally Posted by vonMises View Post
    Rive Gauche PH. (It does contain ISO E S, does it not?)
    Really?

any more recent scents contain super iso E in it?!?

Don't know about recent ones, but Terre D'Hermes would be my favorite.

Last edited by pluran; 22nd December 2011 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Don't know about recent ones, but Terre D'Hermes would be my favorite.
    Same here
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Sound Scents

Recent is a relative term. Mine are Terre d'Hermes (edt or pp) and Encre Noir.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

Escentric Molecule - Escentric 01
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Terre D'Hermes
    Rose 31
    Dior Homme.

It's generally something I dislike in large quantities. Vitriol is possibly the only fragrance so far I don't mind it in but this is also not a favorite.