Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Your Favourite ISO E Super Scents

I do think I'm noticing a big dose of it in my newly-bought CdG Avignon. I'm assuming it's the same dry, dusty, peppery quality I disliked in Gucci Pour Homme (I).

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I do think I'm noticing a big dose of it in my newly-bought CdG Avignon. I'm assuming it's the same dry, dusty, peppery quality I disliked in Gucci Pour Homme (I).
    Hmmm, not so sure that Iso your smelling.....

Go test Molecule 01 (must be on the skin) if you can - that will confirm if it's Iso E Super you're smelling or not.

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Hmmm, not so sure that Iso your smelling.....

Go test Molecule 01 (must be on the skin) if you can - that will confirm if it's Iso E Super you're smelling or not.
    What would that fizzy, dry, slightly dusty cedar smell be, then? It's a distinct element I've picked up from several fragrances now, including Gucci PH, Wonderwood, and Avignon.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    You're right. That's definitely the Iso E Super but while it completely annoys me in quite a few fragrances after a bunch of wearings (i.e. Escentric 01 and Terre), I find it perfectly integrated and balanced in Avignon or, let's say, Rose 31.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I don’t love all of these but ISO E Super is best when it retains some of its velvety qualities:

Jubilation XXV
    Timbuktu
    Feminite du Bois
    Ormonde Man
    Dior Homme
    Rive Gauche pour Homme
    Terre d’Hermes
    Chene
    Incense Extreme
    Declaration
    Poivre Samarcande
    Isfarkand

These lack all of the velvety quality (It's hard not to like the smell of Avignon, though):

CdG Incense Series
    Encre Noire
    Last edited by pluran; 22nd December 2011 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I don’t love all of these but ISO E Super is best when it retains some of its velvety qualities:
    These lack all of the velvety quality (It's hard not to like the smell of Avignon, though):

CdG Incense Series
    Encre Noire
    The smell of Avignon is superb, but I didn't expect so much of the dry dusty fizz when actually wearing a few sprays. Before buying it I knew it from a friend who wears it and from test strips. Would anything help reduce the Iso E Super dust-cloud in this case? Funny, too, because I have Jaisalmer and Kyoto (the latter of which apparently has quite a lot of Iso E Super) and neither of these bother me in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Don't know about recent ones, but Terre D'Hermes would be my favorite.
    Mine too

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Iso E Super is very trendy to use, and thus very trendy to disapprove of. Everything has its place IMO. It's all a matter of how something is used.

Ambergris, Civet, Musk all were considered fixatives back in the day. But you can't deny their use as actual fragrance components either. I can't stand the way many perfumers have employed these notes, but I don't blame the notes.

Part of the job of educating our noses in order to achieve a level of sophistication in scent appreciation is to eschew the habit of biases against particular notes and judge each composition on its own merits (IMO of course). That is the first thing a budding perfumer must learn to do. Otherwise they limit their palate. A master would never tolerate such biases in an apprentice. Instead of saying "I hate (note/constituent)," they are taught to ask, "how might I employ this note in an effective manner?"

We, as people who appreciate what these artists do, must also learn (IMO) how to keep an open mind as far as our prejudices toward particular constituents are concerned. Otherwise we are just short changing ourselves and will never reach a level of appreciation of perfumery beyond what we have made ourselves accustomed to enjoying.

It's the same way for music and art appreciation... in order to really become educated we must stretch beyond our comfort zones and keep our minds open. Just something I learned a long time ago.

I for one can't stand the way ISO E Super is employed by the majority of compositions in which it is highlighted. But I don't blame the chemical. I also can't stand the way auto tune is employed in much of modern popular music, but that doesn't mean that I blame the technology. In fact I have heard Auto Tune used (occasionally) in some extremely effective ways. It's always a matter of how something is used. Don't blame the color if you don't like the way the artist paints.
    Exactly. It is no more meaningful than to complain about the over use of the evil bergamot . . . that, according to Wikipedia, is in one third of all men's and about half of women’s perfumes.

If the composition does not please, it is the perfumer who is at fault, not the materials chosen by the perfumer.
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.”
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.