Code of Conduct

Default A Question for Spiritueuse Double Vanille Lovers

I have tested Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille a couple of times and gave it a full wearing yesterday. It made a profound impression as the most excellent vanilla centered scent I have ever worn. I think it has wonderful depth, complexity and warmth to it and is very classy as well.

So a question for people who love Spiritueuse Double Vanille: is there another Vanilla scent that you find equally or more satisfying? I am just wondering what else I should consider before buying a bottle.

Default Re: A Question for Spiritueuse Double Vanille Lovers

Though personally I have never tried it, Profumum Vanitas is another revered vanilla centered fragrance.
    Have you also tried Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille? This one is not necessarily in the same league, nevertheless it does deserve a mention.

Dependent

I mentioned a few times previously on other threads that SDV is my holy grail vanilla scent. That hasn't changed as I've yet to find another vanilla scent that is as satisfying.

I have to agree with Matthew , Ive yet to find a more perfect Vanilla

I haven't found any other vanilla centric scent as satisfying and multifaceted as Spiritueuse Double Vanille. To my nose, It's the best combination of booze, tobacco and vanilla (as major notes/accords). Every other Vanilla scent has paled in comparison (Vanille 44, Vanitas, Havana Vanille etc.).

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

The thing about SDV is that it is not like any other vanilla scent. It is so unique. I can see how some people who are looking for a food-centered, cotton candy type vanilla might be disappointed. SDV is my favorite vanilla. I also like Vanille Tonka by Parfums de Nicolai but for different reasons (mostly the frankincense). I also like her other one called Vanilla Intense, although I've read some less than stellar reviews for it on the boards. de Nicolai is one of my favorite perfumers, she is the "perfumer's perfumer" I think. So many reputable noses have such great things to say about her, and I can see why.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 12th February 2010 at 02:23 PM.

There's nothing else like it.. but I do enjoy Tobacco Vanille. Mainly because of the spices and dried fruit though. Very autumnal and rustic

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    There's nothing else like it.. but I do enjoy Tobacco Vanille. Mainly because of the spices and dried fruit though. Very autumnal and rustic
    I like TV a lot too.

Indeed, SDV is a splendid vanilla scent. A little linear perhaps but for what it does, this is actually a good thing.

I have yet to try Havana Vanille tho... I hear good things about it.

I recently went through a vanilla phase. In terms of pure vanilla - Vanitas was my winner, hands down. I own a bottle and just love it! I also purchased La Maison de la Vanille - Madagascar - it does not quite have the longevity, but a nice pure vanilla nonetheless. Two others pure vanillas that I really do love, but find redundant are the Montales - Vanille Extacy as well as the Vanille Absolu.

I have small decants of other vanillas. This may be heresy in these parts, but I never embraced the SDV - I seemed to get a slight cherry cough syrup thing going. Similarly with SL Un Bois Vanille.

As for vanillas with other notes, I also own Montale Bois Vanile, which I love, but don't consider it to be a vanilla "pure play."

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Indeed, SDV is a splendid vanilla scent. A little linear perhaps but for what it does, this is actually a good thing.

I have yet to try Havana Vanille tho... I hear good things about it.
    You'll love it if you like woody banana like notes in your fragrances. I was instantly reminded of PG's Felanilla when I tested HV -- it contains the woody leafy banana accord almost exactly the way it is in Felanilla and unfortunately for me, that accord stayed on till the very drydown. It works well in Felanilla for me, but in Havana Vanille it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    Another TV lover here

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Thanks, Amit. I'll try to remember that bit about banana/woods accord when I test sample HV next. Made me think somewhat of a heavenly piece of banana-dark chocolate cake I had recently. Yumm...!

Thanks to this thread, I could do with a larger decant of SDV...

I also admire Un Bois Vanille for its multifaceted appeal...but SDV is the more wearable of the two IMO.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 12th February 2010 at 04:22 PM.

I sampled Orchidee Vanille from Van Cleef & Arpels exclusive line the other day and thought it was muuuuuuuuuuuuch better. But that's just me
    The Bark Bites Back.

Basenotes Institution

I have always held Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford in the same esteem as Spiritueuse Double Vanille.

I ran out of my decant of SDV a while ago, and I miss it.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th February 2010 at 10:05 PM.

Havana Vanille is probably my favorite vanilla fragrance so far. It's rather multifaceted with its tobacco, rum, floral and musk notes spinning around in aroma space. Unlike Amit, I don't get any of Felanilla's banana note. I do like Felanilla, however.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 12th February 2010 at 11:34 PM.

No .... it isn't just you and you are completely correct about it being better.

Please try Michael Micallef's Note Vanille. When I first tried it, I thought it was a SDV wannabe, but then it kinda grew on me. Besides, the bottle is beautiful, and it is about $50 less than a bottle of SDV. Check it out and then let me know what you think. It really was a pleasure wearing the entire sample vial of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    No .... it isn't just you and you are completely correct about it being better.
    "Better" is such an iffy word... when you are talking about perfumes of this calibre, it really is a matter of personal taste rather than one being objectively better than the other.

Tobacco Vanille is a less powdery and more spicy/masculine Vanilla.
    And both TFTV and SDV share a similar profile,
    in terms of exactly how sweet and heavy they are,
    and long lasting both are.

Another to consider that shares this distinct tonka/vanilla dominant drydown with TFTV and SDV,
    although much drier/woodier/spicier than eithe, is L'Occitane's Eav Des Bavx.
    I consider these three scents to share alot, and I own both Tobacco Vanille and Eav Des Bavx.

People likes comparing SDV with TV. After a few full wear of both, I myself prefer SDV, cause it is more smoky than TV. Right now, I think SDV is the best niche vanille scent

I also love Eav Des Bavx. It is cheap, but it is amazing.

VERY true, but this is such a subjective hobby I went with the flow.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    "Better" is such an iffy word... when you are talking about perfumes of this calibre, it really is a matter of personal taste rather than one being objectively better than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    VERY true, but this is such a subjective hobby I went with the flow.
    I understand completely...

Thanks for all the recommmendations. I am sure I will test most of them, but I think I am leaning strongly to buying a bottle of Spiritueuse Double Vanille.