Code of Conduct

Default I've Hit The Wall. Again.

I have a problem. I really enjoy this hobby but I'm extremely picky, to the point where I wind up being disappointed in virtually every fragrance I try, even the most highly revered. I look at all the glowing reviews, do some research and get all excited about a new fragrance, then I manage to obtain a sample and my reaction ranges from "blah" to "WTF is this sh*t?!" It is a very rare occurrence indeed when I actually find something that I love and wind up buying a full bottle.

I've been on BN for five years, but a couple of years ago I lost interest and wasn't liking anything that I was trying, so I left for a long time. I returned a while back and have been actively posting and sampling a ton of new stuff. I even found a couple of new fragrances that made it into my Top 5. However, I recently hit the proverbial wall again. I've scoured the boards and the web, but there's really nothing more out there that I really want to try.

This is a very tall order, but I need somebody to step up and suggest something that will get me excited about fragrance again! Are there any lesser known niche frags that just blow you away right now?
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 12th February 2010 at 05:38 PM.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: I've Hit The Wall. Again.

Just curious - do you feel this way about the fragrances in your top 5 list too?
    I've learnt from experience that reading glowing reviews BEFORE sampling a scent is an easy way to set yourself up for a major disappointment.

Hey Windy City,
    I'm just curious...what are your top five? (I'm assuming Eau Noire is one of them given your avatar?)
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Echoing others sentiments about learning what your favorites are. It would be cool to see what's in your wardrobe, too.

Obviously today for me my recommendation is going to be Habit Rouge Eau de Parfum... but take it with a grain of salt... I'm still intoxicated with the newness of it; I'd have sex with it if I could.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 12th February 2010 at 06:15 PM.

Yeah I kind of am too. I've done lots of samples but only enjoy them rarely. I see this as more of a good thing than a bad thing. Imagine how expensive it'd be if you liked 3/4 of the samples! I've tried MANY, many scents but at the moment only plan on adding 3-4 more scents to my wardrobe. Everything else I've tried is just rather unremarkable, too expensive, or discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I'm still intoxicated with the newness of it; I'd have sex with it if I could.

Just make sure you don't get your "member" stuck in the bottle. That would be an embarrasing trip to the emergency room for sure!

Can't help ya. Can't ever tell what you'll like or what will make you excited. Who's to say you won't come back to me with the same letdown expectations that you tell us happens? In fact that's the most likely outcome isn't it? Can't help ya. Nothing we know or pleases our noses can be sure of pleasing yours.

One is interested in sniffing or one isn't. As you point out about your history.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post
    I have a problem. I really enjoy this hobby but I'm extremely picky, to the point where I wind up being disappointed in virtually every fragrance I try, even the most highly revered. I look at all the glowing reviews, do some research and get all excited about a new fragrance, then I manage to obtain a sample and my reaction ranges from "blah" to "WTF is this sh*t?!" It is a very rare occurrence indeed when I actually find something that I love and wind up buying a full bottle.

I've been on BN for five years, but a couple of years ago I lost interest and wasn't liking anything that I was trying, so I left for a long time. I returned a while back and have been actively posting and sampling a ton of new stuff. I even found a couple of new fragrances that made it into my Top 5. However, I recently hit the proverbial wall again. I've scoured the boards and the web, but there's really nothing more out there that I really want to try.

This is a very tall order, but I need somebody to step up and suggest something that will get me excited about fragrance again! Are there any lesser known niche frags that just blow you away right now?
    I NEVER take into consideration the tone or emotion that is in reviews for this very reason. People tend to be passionate about things they like and things they don't like. Considering how subjective this stuff is, we shouldn't really take into account momentary bursts of emotion. I'd say lower your standards a bit.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

With fragrances, as with all things in life you kind of have to find your own way.You could get 101 suggestions here, and where would that leave you? Be satisfied with you have been wearing, or just start sampling every fragrance you can get your hands on. This is such a tough question to answer,because opinions vary so much on most fragrances. Maybe take a little break, and just wear several of the same fragrances for a while, and see where that leads you. Either way good luck.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Have you tried extending your search to natural perfumery? I really want to try some of Ayala Moriel's stuff but can't afford to try them yet. Either that or try to explore the arabian style perfumes from Abdesalam, Amouage attars and the other less well known arabic perfumes.

I'm sure if you search within these options, you will open up a new world to explore.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

That's a nice little emotional roller coaster you've got yourself strapped into there. How would I recognize such? Hmmm? Guilty.

Sounds like time to step away and let the market recharge with new offerings. Look for some alternate diversions, even those quasi-related to fragrance. The “high” in this hobby comes when you're chasing prey, which one then occasionally catches. It's tempting to keeping going right back to the most feel-good part, but eventually there comes a point of diminishing returns. Thus, the wall.

I've noticed that if I sort of forget about fragrance and get caught up in a good mood with something else, then return to fragrances while in this happy state, that my wardrobe juice actually smells better than ever.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Five fragrances that have wowed me of late:

1. DelRae's Amoureuse
    2. Gucci No. 3 ( discontinued but still available online )
    3. Neil Morris' Gandhara
    4. Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's Viridian
    5. Killian's Back To Black

This list is diverse in terms of genre, but is strongly reflective of my own taste in fragrance. No promises as to how they'll make you feel.

You don't have to discover something new constantly. Just take a break from sampling and enjoy what you have that you like.

I know I have been in similar ruts and I finally realized it was time not to force it. It was time to be content.

There will be other times when trying new things will work again. At least they did for me.

Take a look at my wardrobe, eenie meenie miney moe something, and try it.

Otherwise, have you tried Invasion Barbare yet? It's one of the least talked about fragrances here on BN, although there are a few ppl who really enjoy it here, including myself.
    Sales thread here

I think it's okay if you can come with perhaps a dozen frags you love. I have tried perhaps a hundred or more frags and I found FBW perhaps 25 at most. Nothing wrong with that. See if you can go one week without wearing anything - it's more difficult than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Just curious - do you feel this way about the fragrances in your top 5 list too?
    I've learnt from experience that reading glowing reviews BEFORE sampling a scent is an easy way to set yourself up for a major disappointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    Hey Windy City,
    I'm just curious...what are your top five? (I'm assuming Eau Noire is one of them given your avatar?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Echoing others sentiments about learning what your favorites are. It would be cool to see what's in your wardrobe, too.
    My top 5 are listed in my signature below. I'm still loving all of them, in fact I'm wearing Lumiere Noire as my SOTD. As for my wardrobe, it's pretty much outdated at this point as I ran into some difficulties trying to edit it.

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    Otherwise, have you tried Invasion Barbare yet? It's one of the least talked about fragrances here on BN, although there are a few ppl who really enjoy it here, including myself.
    Very interesting that you mention Invasion Barbare. This is a perfect example of something that seemed to be right up my alley but wound up disappointing me. So now it's joined the approximately 200 other scents sitting on my swap list.

However, for the record, I would like to say that IB is a really top-notch scent and I could definitely see others loving it. I absolutely love the top notes but I found the drydown to be too woody for my tastes. I would recommend that everybody give this one a try though!
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 12th February 2010 at 07:51 PM.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

I'd still be interested in seeing a semi-updated wardrobe, so we can try to recommend things that you may like.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

My top 5 are listed in my signature below...
    Where's your sig?....wait, where's my sig? I can't see anyones sig! Help!
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I'd still be interested in seeing a semi-updated wardrobe, so we can try to recommend things that you may like.
    How about going off my Top 5 for now:

TOP 5
    2. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    3. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    4. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    5. New York by Parfums de Nicolai

I've seen that people often recommend Sables for those who like Eau Noire and Aomassai for people who like gourmands. I've tried both and didn't really love either of them.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    Where's your sig?....wait, where's my sig? I can't see anyones sig! Help!
    I don't understand. You can't see my signature? I can see mine and other people's as well.
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 12th February 2010 at 08:28 PM.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

[...]

I've seen that people often recommend Sables for those who like Eau Noire and Aomassai for people who like gourmands. I've tried both and didn't really love either of them.
    Going on Chergui - are other tobacco fragrances of interest to you? I'd definitely recommend giving Ambre Narguile, Tobacco Vanille, and Back to Black a try for other variations on sweet tobacco.

How about exploring more of the Lutens' line in general?

As for Eau Noire, in addition to Sables, other good immortelle fragrances include Marquis de Sade, Fougere Bengale, and Immortelle L'Amour.

How about going off my Top 5 for now:

TOP 5
    2. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    3. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    4. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    5. New York by Parfums de Nicolai

Well let's see. I didn't like Aomassai at first either. If you didn't, let it drydown, and the caramel disperses and leaves just a tiny trace of it for effect, it becomes more woody after that. Have you tried Frapin 1270? That's my favorite gourmand, and Penhaligon's Endymion as well, but it's more understated, which seems to go against most of your favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    You don't have to discover something new constantly. Just take a break from sampling and enjoy what you have that you like.

I know I have been in similar ruts and I finally realized it was time not to force it. It was time to be content.

There will be other times when trying new things will work again. At least they did for me.
    This echoes my sentiments exactly. Sometimes one can become too obsessed with the means and neglect the ends. I have often taken time out from sampling in order to enjoy the fruits of my labours.

First of all, let me thank you guys for all your helpful thoughts and suggestions. I appreciate it very much and please keep them coming.

Well let's see. I didn't like Aomassai at first either. If you didn't, let it drydown, and the caramel disperses and leaves just a tiny trace of it for effect, it becomes more woody after that. Have you tried Frapin 1270? That's my favorite gourmand, and Penhaligon's Endymion as well, but it's more understated, which seems to go against most of your favorites.
    Yes, I got a big decant of Frapin based on a friend's strong recommendation, and it was definitely good, but just missed the mark for me for some reason that I can't explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Going on Chergui - are other tobacco fragrances of interest to you? I'd definitely recommend giving Ambre Narguile, Tobacco Vanille, and Back to Black a try for other variations on sweet tobacco.

How about exploring more of the Lutens' line in general?

As for Eau Noire, in addition to Sables, other good immortelle fragrances include Marquis de Sade, Fougere Bengale, and Immortelle L'Amour.
    I recently went on an immortelle kick, trying Sables, MdS and FB. I also sampled an immortelle fragrance by Divine. It should come as no surprise to anyone that I didn't really like any of them. The only one I haven't tried yet is Immortelle L'Amour.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Have you tried Guerlain Bois d'Armenie?

Have you tried Guerlain Bois d'Armenie?
    No but I wouldn't mind trying it. Is it any good?
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

No but I wouldn't mind trying it. Is it any good?
    Oh yea. Sweet and smokey vanilla and incense.

Also try the previously mentioned Ambre Narguille.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 12th February 2010 at 09:32 PM.

Oh yea. Sweet and smokey vanilla and incense.

Also try the previously mentioned Ambre Narguille.
    OK, I think you may have ignited the fire again just before the flame was extinguished. I just added Bois d'Armenie to my wanted list. If anybody has some, feel free to check out my lengthy list of available swaps and let's work something out.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

I don't understand. You can't see my signature? I can see mine and other people's as well.
    No, I can't see yours or mine or anyone's...I'll have to figure that out, maybe I have a setting out of whack.

Have you tried Guerlain Heritage? If not, based on your top five I think that's one that would seriously wow you.
    Also, for what it's worth, I think you would enjoy Parfumerie General Coze and MPG Eau des Iles (which I find quite similar to one another)...have you tried either of those?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

In part what makes a beautiful sunset so wonderful for me is the fact it isn't an all day/every day experience. I feel the same about great art. If I constantly viewed a particular Vermeer or a particular Picasso it would lose some of it's charm for me, I am quite sure of that although I have never had that experience.

I think of fragrance in much the same way. I enjoy flitting from scent to scent each day, sometimes several times a day in fact. Some fragrances I just like, some I love and a few others I could have and have had multiple episodes of their being short term obsessions in my life. The great variety of fragrances available and worn by me seem to not to allow me to tire of wearable fragrances as a whole. Of course, the fact that I was virtually wearable fragrance free as far as colognes and perfumes for almost all my pre-Basenotes life probably helps in that regard.
    Last edited by kbe; 12th February 2010 at 09:48 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Gourmands: Parfumerie Generale Cadjmere, Guerlain L'Instant Extreme
    Immortelle based: Parfums d' Empire Fougere Bengale
    Classics: Guerlain Heritage EdT

Chergui is simply irreplaceable. however, i found a similar formation of sillage in Tauers Vetiver Dance.
    Last edited by jenson; 12th February 2010 at 10:57 PM.

After looking at your swap list.
    I'd say you've exhausted your options.
    Enjoy what you have.
    Try some Demeters or cheapies, one may surprise you.

I've found that when I have to force myself to sample, rather than do it willingly, I'm not in a very receptive state of mind and I tend to write off nearly everything. After revisiting some of those scents in a more receptive state I found I enjoyed many of them, and at least one has moved into my top 10 (M7).

Wait until you really feel the itch and desire to sample. Only then will you be in the mindset to appreciate any potential gems you come across.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Here's a real challenge: go try to find some Lorenzo Villoresi Virginia. Judging from your top 5 you ought to like it - tobacco, immortelle, patchouli...though one can never know. I agree with the means and ends comment. Consider what is important to you: is the the perfume or the search? Major difference.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I know what you mean. I sample tons of stuff with mostly disappointments. Try these two. I blew my mind upon first whiff. They renewed my faith in what can be achieved with a good nose and quality ingredients.

Oudh Lacquer by Soivohle

Shem-el-Nesim by Grossmith

+1 the Ambre Narguile. Also maybe Pd'N Vanille-Tonka for not so sweet vanilla and incense. And do try the Douce Amere from your previous thread. Maybe the femme Roma - herbal opening, then orangy, vanilla with pepper - not too sweet, a very nice oriental.

Hmmm, I suggest you try these mate;

Robert Piguest - Visa
    Robert Piguest - Bandit
    Robert Piguest - Fracas
    Diptyque - Eau Lente
    Quorum - Quorum PH
    L'artisan's - Dzing!
    L'artisan's - Dzongkah!
    Knize's - Knize-Ten
    ++ Loads More!

Trust me, maybe some underground shopping will do the trick for ya, You don't know...
    you might even enjoy some of the "Demeter" frags!

Oh, and good on'ya' for enjoying Chergui, A fine scent indeed!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

"(formerly known as CreedFan)".... I was wondering, why is no Creed left in your top five, WindyCity, and in case the 6 - 10 bracket was not empty, which Creed might be included?

Challenging topic, by the way, and beyond standard replies make this a fascinating read! I feel tempted to also suggest a fragrance, but to be sure I must first study your fine swap list in detail.
    Last edited by narcus; 13th February 2010 at 04:49 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I think Dullah makes a good point on checking out some cheapies. One may certainly surprise you. It may not blow your mind, but if you enjoy wearing it day to day ( for work or casual wear), then mission accomplished, right ?

As well, like SoS mentioned, I get frustrated more in these situations. Maybe retry some fragrances/samples that you initially wrote off. I also find that in these frustrating times I tend to make very poor decisions or haste ones. I basically buy a few bottles that just are no good to me.

Lastly, maybe by reading alot of reviews and threads, something may just "click" when you read it ( with regards to a particular fragrance. This may seem strange, but it certainly happens with me.
    Last edited by Surfacing; 13th February 2010 at 05:12 AM.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Obviously today for me my recommendation is going to be Habit Rouge Eau de Parfum... but take it with a grain of salt... I'm still intoxicated with the newness of it; I'd have sex with it if I could.
    A man in a red riding habit will always turn my head, too, mrclmind! The original "habit rouge" (red suit)... I am glad you love Habit Rouge so...

http://www.artpictures.co.uk/gijh1386.htm
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Brad,
    Have you tried Jo Malone's Pomegranate Noir?

Maybe the real dilemma is that you don't know what you're looking for?

Like SOS, I've often tried fragrances, hated them, and then later on realized I really like them when I'm in the mood for them.
    Sales thread here

Like SOS, I've often tried fragrances, hated them, and then later on realized I really like them when I'm in the mood for them.
    Agreed.

Most, if not all of my HG fragrances were ones I initially overlooked.

And, I still don't truly know what I'm looking for...

+2 I'm finding out I truly enjoy stuff I had once written off more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    That's a nice little emotional roller coaster you've got yourself strapped into there. How would I recognize such? Hmmm? Guilty.

Sounds like time to step away and let the market recharge with new offerings. Look for some alternate diversions, even those quasi-related to fragrance. The “high” in this hobby comes when you're chasing prey, which one then occasionally catches. It's tempting to keeping going right back to the most feel-good part, but eventually there comes a point of diminishing returns. Thus, the wall.

I've noticed that if I sort of forget about fragrance and get caught up in a good mood with something else, then return to fragrances while in this happy state, that my wardrobe juice actually smells better than ever.
    +1. Time to take a break. You have a solid collection of rich fragrances --- each arguably the the star of their respective lines. Enjoy your collection and think of other things for a while. Come back in a year or two an check out what has been released over that period.

As far as a frag to try: Jicky in the parfum concentration. One of the richest and most opulent lavenders. It is right up there with Eau Noire.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham