Code of Conduct

Default Did a mini poll on what girls love...

In the last week I asked every girl I know with ages around 18-25 what their favorite fragrance/s is on a guy and here's their responses.

Abercrombie Fierce - 28
    Acqua Di Gio - 17
    Armani Code - 10
    Burberry Brit - 8
    Paris Hilton - 7
    Holister Drift - 6
    Polo Blue -5
    Guess Man -5
    Lacoste Essential - 4
    La De Nuit L'Homme - 3
    Polo Green - 2

After that it was just 1 for a lot of fragrances that there's no real need to bother. Now what it appears to me is girls don't know many colognes and stick to the ones they like that they're exposed to a lot. Fierce is the smell when you walk into the store so girls remember it. Hell...if Tiffanys sprayed their fragrance in their store as they do it'd be just as popular imo.

Default Re: Did a mini poll on what girls love...

I have often thought the dislike for Fierce / Acqua di Gio etc. on Basenotes has to do with the fact that we know that so many other people - whom we don't always want to be associated with - like them so much.

A form of snobbery
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 12th February 2010 at 06:30 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Women have bad tastes in men fragrances, period.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

LoneWolf, you rock the planet. Fantastic work and high praises for thinking of an idea that would indeed be interesting at BN and then doing it. You're the damned coolest, man.

Must have been fun getting the attention of the women, explaining the idea, and asking the questions.

Everyone, don't we all know LoneWolf is the total stud where he lives now?
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I wasn't surprised that a lot of the girls preferred the more exposed fragrances because the fragrances we're familiar with are usually completely unknown to every girl. Plus..girls take into account that if it's popular then it smells good. At least that was a lot of the girl's thoughts on it.
    I was surprised though that a lot of them named quite a few niche but it was about 20 more girls or so that each named a different favorite not that popular such as M7, Habit Rouge, Eau Savage, Bvlgari Aqva, True Star, Ezra Fitch, Swiss Army, Angel Men, Cool Water and others.

I don't think it's girls who have bad taste so much as they're completely unfamiliar with most fragrances. Look at it this way....So many guys wear the top ones listed so they're out and that's what they smell the most often so they pick out between the ones there which they like best.

Thanks for the praise Dust if that wasn't sarcasm lol

Thank you for providing me with an ego-saving excuse as to why 18-25 year old girls seldom notice I exist!

"It's not the grey hairs - I'm just wearing the wrong perfume...."

If most ladies really knew quality male fragrances, they wouldn't have to chase down basenoters on the street and ask "WHAT ARE YOU WEARING?! I WANT MY MAN TO SMELL LIKE THAT!"
    Last edited by Spray; 12th February 2010 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Thank you for providing me with an ego-saving excuse as to why 18-25 year old girls seldom notice I exist!

"It's not the grey hairs - I'm just wearing the wrong perfume...."

Haven't you seen that Just for Men commercial "NO PLAY FOR MR. GRAY!" Just dye it and take advantage of those teeny boppers!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Thanks for the praise Dust if that wasn't sarcasm lol
    No sarcasm whatever, my friend. Great job straight up.

I always ask myself: who does buy the fragrance? I think it's often the girl who buys it for the bf! If Fierce, Acqua di Gio and Code are the most popular answers you got, it also means to me that girls truly love those the most.
    Last edited by Desmond Hume; 12th February 2010 at 07:05 PM.

When I read the title of this thread my first thoughts were: money and shoes

It's threads like this that make me glad the only "girls" I talk fragrance with are female Basenoters.

I'm so glad I don't need to care what women like me wearing... I'm not crazy about anything on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokke View Post
    If Fierce, Acqua di Gio and Code are the most popular answers you got, it also means to me that girls truly love those the most.
    Or it may mean that these scents are marketed the most. Just call me cynical.

Quote Originally Posted by Partagas View Post
    Agreed with this. I get way more compliments on other colognes than I do with either Fierce or AdG from people in this exact age group.

Aww, you guys are unfairly ripping on these ladies. Familiarity is what tells them things, more than the smell itself. It's in fact endearing that they think over and judge the world of fragrances as they come to perceive it. Good for them and all to opine about fragrances! Bring it on! The first step to an open mind, I think.

Forgive me the promo, but there's a slightly relevant point in this:
    http://www.basenotes.net/content/119...%28part-one%29

Quote Originally Posted by Partagas View Post
    I agree. I've gotten far more compliments when I was wearing Rochas Man, Burberry London and Modern Reserve than any of the top ones listed and I own Armani Code, Acqua Di Gio(empty now) and Paris Hilton. I think it's definitely which are just the marketed and familiar ones. Hell...I couldn't really tell you what I like on a woman, the only ones that spring to mind are Very Sexy and Burberry Brit that I enjoy and I'm sure the women here at Basenotes would be telling me I'm one of those typical guys with no taste in women's fragrance!
    Last edited by MrFragranceReview; 12th February 2010 at 07:44 PM.

Nice work Lonewolf, even though situation would probably be quite different in Croatia. For instance there is probably no person that smells like Abercrombie Fierce here...

off topic

Do you ppl think Fierce would be a good blindbuy for me? See my wardrobe that might give you a hint.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    Women have bad tastes in men fragrances, period.
    ...unless, of course, they are spraying on themselves! LOL! (I regularly wear MPG Parfum d'Habit, Crown Sandringham, L'Occitane Eau des Baux, D'Orsay Le Dandy and Hermes Equipage...)

I think the reason most young women prefer something as commercial as Abercrombie Fierce is that it's all they know... (OK, I admit to being a perfume snob...) I find, as a rule, most women (OK, not all) are fragrance sheep.

You go to the A&F stores and you smell it. It's all marketing. As a rule, young women (OK, not all) have very little perfume awareness and prefer/buy what is trendy and being pushed out there or what they see advertised. They seem to prefer the scent du jour on themselves and other young men.

Most young people are fashion sheep (OK, I am a fashion maverick, always have been) and will wear what everyone else is wearing, and this includes scent. They are also label mongers to the extreme.

I say again that I am overgeneralising, as some young people *do* strike out for the off-the-beaten-path clothing and scents, but for the most part, they follow the mob.

And thank you for the compliment, Galamb_Borong, in tipping your hat to female Basenoters. Consider yourself virtually hugged!

I *do* believe that most non-perfume men wear what their women buy them...like ties.

And, BTW, I adore the very floral original Tiffany's scent. One pal I have was a perfume rep and she decanted (from what appeared to be a 1 litre bottle...) about 150 mls of Tiffany for me!
    Last edited by Primrose; 12th February 2010 at 08:02 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Nice work Lonewolf, even though situation would probably be quite different in Croatia. For instance there is probably no person that smells like Abercrombie Fierce here...

off topic

Do you ppl think Fierce would be a good blindbuy for me? See my wardrobe that might give you a hint.
    It definitely would be very different in Croatia, I think it's all about how familiar a scent is with a girl for the most part.
    I see you have Chrome and I'd say Fierce is closest to Chrome's drydown being sharper, more pungent, woodier and more aromatic. So if you think you'd like that go for it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    According to Chris Rock, compliments too. "Food, water, compliments and the occasional pair of shoes."

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    It definitely would be very different in Croatia, I think it's all about how familiar a scent is with a girl for the most part.
    I see you have Chrome and I'd say Fierce is closest to Chrome's drydown being sharper, more pungent, woodier and more aromatic. So if you think you'd like that go for it.
    Thank you, I believe I might like that very much so! I'd probably be the only person wearing it in this part of Europe

You know what would be an interesting follow-up. Gather a BN-selected list of fragrances, and do a blind sniff! THEN see what they prefer.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

[QUOTE=Primrose;1748061]...unless, of course, they are spraying on themselves! LOL! (I regularly wear MPG Parfum d'Habit, Crown Sandringham, L'Occitane Eau des Baux, D'Orsay Le Dandy and Hermes Equipage...)

I think the reason most young women prefer something as commercial as Abercrombie Fierce is that it's all they know... (OK, I admit to being a perfume snob...) I find, as a rule, most women (OK, not all) are fragrance sheep.

You go to the A&F stores and you smell it. It's all marketing. As a rule, young women (OK, not all) have very little perfume awareness and prefer/buy what is trendy and being pushed out there or what they see advertised. They seem to prefer the scent du jour on themselves and other young men.

Most young people are fashion sheep (OK, I am a fashion maverick, always have been) and will wear what everyone else is wearing, and this includes scent. They are also label mongers to the extreme.

I say again that I am overgeneralising, as some young people *do* strike out for the off-the-beaten-path clothing and scents, but for the most part, they follow the mob.

And thank you for the compliment, Galamb_Borong, in tipping your hat to female Basenoters. Consider yourself virtually hugged!

I *do* believe that most non-perfume men wear what their women buy them...like ties.

QUOTE]

What she said.

...but girls don't even know what fragrances are out there. Would you really expect a girl or anyone else to say something different? No.

Lol.....You spend a fortune on the most exotic, niche scents that are highly praised that have a history and created by the most respected individuals. And what do chicks digg, Aqua Di Gio.lol

At times, it smells like spice cookies that just came out of the oven. I'd recommend a blind buy on this one, especially since you live in a country without an Abercrombie store. It'll be easy to sell if you don't like it (once you get chased down the street by crazed 20 year old women, you'll want to own a swimming pool of Fierce). Take advantage of this rare (in Serbia) fragrance. It's very strong, you only need 1 spray.

Thank you, I believe I might like that very much so! I'd probably be the only person wearing it in this part of Europe
    Precisely why you should buy a bottle! Just don't tell anyone what it is. Make it your own special scent for as long as possible.
    Last edited by adonis; 13th February 2010 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Lol.....You spend a fortune on the most exotic, niche scents that are highly praised that have a history and created by the most respected individuals. And what do chicks digg, Aqua Di Gio.lol
    Yes, this is irony. Today's news insert had some scent strips for men: Armani Code and Acqua de Gio. Boring, boring, boring.
    Last edited by Primrose; 13th February 2010 at 04:12 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I discovered in shock and horror that I neither use, nor wear any of the frags on that list. So, even bigger loads of "undateability" for now
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 13th February 2010 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    At times, it smells like spice cookies that just came out of the oven. I'd recommend a blind buy on this one, especially since you live in a country without an Abercrombie store. It'll be easy to sell if you don't like it (once you get chased down the street by crazed 20 year old women, you'll want to own a swimming pool of Fierce). Take advantage of this rare (in Serbia) fragrance. It's very strong, you only need 1 spray.

Precisely why you should buy a bottle! Just don't tell anyone what it is. Make it your own special scent for as long as possible.
    Tnx on this advice, I think I'll give it a shot pretty soon!

Hmm...These Fragrances have all hit the mainstream record so I guess that of all the women you asked they'd probably just note something that was just a tidbit off the their tounge...though some of those scents in that list are good! It's just that none of them even mentioned Guerlain... Ahh well.

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Hell, I'm just impressed that LoneWolf knows so many girls! Assuming one vote per girl, that's 95 girls, not counting niche.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    You know what would be an interesting follow-up. Gather a BN-selected list of fragrances, and do a blind sniff! THEN see what they prefer.
    Not going to work IMO. The focus would be too much on the top notes...

Btw, nice work, LoneWolf. But I'm interested to know what influence a woman's perfume buying decision, esp. when they are not as well exposed as Basenoters to perfumery. I recall when I was in my late teens to early 20s, girls around my age tend to buy stuff based on what their friends approve/recommend.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Oops. Forgot to multi-quote...

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Hell, I'm just impressed that LoneWolf knows so many girls! Assuming one vote per girl, that's 95 girls, not counting niche.
    Not that difficult if you use social networking sites like Facebook.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 13th February 2010 at 03:45 PM.

Great poll LoneWolf!

Glad to see one of my scents in the list besides Fierce. I don't know exactly the situation at the States , but knowing the marketing behind A&F and the age zone (18-25), I think it is reasonable for Fierce to win the gold medal.

Zgb (nice wardrobe), if you can get it in a good price, I'd said yes go for it. Fierce has a very pleasant scent, and it is not common outside US.

It would be nice to have a similar poll, asking ladies between 30 and 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Haha I was kind of a player and got in touch with a lot of girls and their friends, friends of friends and so on.

I actually didn't use Facebook, I meet a lot of girls too with what I do so I often got their opinions.
    Last edited by MrFragranceReview; 13th February 2010 at 06:39 PM.

1. Shoes
    2. Handbags
    3. Money
    4. ???
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    1. Shoes
    2. Handbags
    3. Money
    4. ???
    4. Gossiping on cell phones
    5. Standing slightly pigeon-toed.
    6. ???

This thread inspired me to do my own mini-mini poll.

My sisters (both over 60): Le No. 3 de Caron
    My nieces (both over 35): Verace l'homme
    My girlfriend (over 40): Kouros
    My 7 year old great- niece: Chanel pour Monsieur Concentree

These are the women who matter the most to me. I'm happy. Life is good.
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 13th February 2010 at 11:07 PM.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

thanks for the list.

this will remind me what NOT to wear.. last thing i want is a woman smelling me and reminding herself of her ex boyfriends.
    if i conversate with a woman, i might ask whats your fav colognes.. whatever they say, i dont wear it.
    scents spark memories, past memories.. im trying to make NEW ones, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Torx View Post
    thanks for the list.

this will remind me what NOT to wear.. last thing i want is a woman smelling me and reminding herself of her ex boyfriends.
    if i conversate with a woman, i might ask whats your fav colognes.. whatever they say, i dont wear it.
    Very good point!

La Nuit de l'Homme. Never had better responses than when I wear that stuff around. Mainly college age girls.
    Last edited by throwaway_gull; 14th February 2010 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Torx View Post
    thanks for the list.

Excellent observation. We make associations with situations.

I actually like Calvin Klein Eternity--a very white floral scent--but don't wear it because one of my DH's girlfriends wore it long ago. When I came across some essential scent oil he bought in the Middle East for his ex-wife (hidden deep in some medicine cabinet), without sniffing it, I poured it down the sink drain...it was a catharsis for him as he watched me do it...
    Last edited by Primrose; 14th February 2010 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    When I came across some essential scent oil he bought in the Middle East for his ex-wife (hidden deep in some medicine cabinet), without sniffing it, I poured it down the sink drain...it was a catharsis for him as he watched me do it...
    Damn straight, Primrose. Out out out with the old! That stuff wasn't even worth smelling. Those smells and the times for them are over and belong with all the bacteria in the disposal.

Great scene. Pour pour pour, I say.

Quote Originally Posted by dustb View Post
    damn straight, primrose. Out out out with the old! That stuff wasn't even worth smelling. Those smells and the times for them are over and belong with all the bacteria in the disposal.

Great scene. Pour pour pour, i say.
    ROTFL!
    Last edited by Primrose; 14th February 2010 at 01:16 AM.

If most ladies really knew quality male fragrances, they wouldn't have to chase down basenoters on the street and ask "WHAT ARE YOU WEARING?! I WANT MY MAN TO SMELL LIKE THAT!"
    Lol! Good point!!!
    To all: I've never tried Fierce, but between today and tommorow I will see to it that I get my nose on the fragrance and see what it's all about.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Where is Curve and Chrome?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    So true. So true. When I first sprayed Aqua di Gio, I could absolutely see why most people (and especially women) would like it. It's clean and dirty and warm and musky all at the same time! Yes it's totally synthetic. But most people have only smelled a handful of fragrances in their lives so to them it smells great! They just know it.