Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    Default Interesting BN Statistics

    This isn't likely the spot that this belongs in, but I'm not really sure where it belongs. There's a really cool site, Alexa.com, that offers some really interesting info about basically every website in existence. Here is some stuff that I found particularly interesting about our very own BN.

    1) Basenotes is ranked as the 39,012 most visited website in the world and 18,453 in the US. That's significant in that I was originally looking at the websites of large companies that advertised a lot in the Superbowl to see if they received a large bump in traffic either during or after the Superbowl, and giants such as doritos.com and budlight.com don't even rank in the top 100,000.

    2) Believe it or not, F********a, or the site that must not be named, at 25,058, is higher than BN, but at 20,001 in the US, is lower than BN. Don't really know what that says, other than BN clearly has a firmer hold on the US market, maybe because that other place allows reviews in other languages?

    3) The highest traffic rank over the last 2 years, appears to have been around June 2009.

    4) Here is the list of top searches, on search engines that eventually led people to Basenotes

    (In order)
    Basenotes
    fragrance reviews
    base notes
    green irish tweed
    armani black code
    armani code review
    gucci pour homme
    drakkar noir (lol)
    l'heure bleue (really?)
    bvlgari pour homme

    Way down on the list is Knize Ten


    5) Apparently, compared to the rest of the internet, women are "greatly over-represented" and men are "greatly under-represented"

    Just some interesting tidbits for you guys.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 12th February 2010 at 09:18 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  2. #2
    bluesoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Land of green chile, Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    1,821
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Interesting BN Statistics

    To address the 2nd point, Alexa is open to manipulation much like Google or any other search engine is. To think they're exceeding BN in terms of raw volume of hits is doubtful to say the least.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Interesting BN Statistics

    What is the site that must not be named? Is it a rival to Basenotes lol?

    Anyways... those are great stats you've researched and presented; I'm not surprised though the Doritos and Budlight websites not being hit regulary... why would anyone go on either website, the products are in shops for people to buy and see no-one will be visiting their website unless they're doing promotionals etc...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Interesting BN Statistics

    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    This isn't likely the spot that this belongs in, but I'm not really sure where it belongs. There's a really cool site, Alexa.com, that offers some really interesting info about basically every website in existence. Here is some stuff that I found particularly interesting about our very own BN.



    5) Apparently, compared to the rest of the internet, women are "greatly over-represented" and men are "greatly under-represented"
    This was all interesting to read, but item 5) is certainly not correct. If anything, the opposite is true.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Interesting BN Statistics

    Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    This was all interesting to read, but item 5) is certainly not correct. If anything, the opposite is true.
    That's why I put it there. The only thing that I can think of to justify it is, that apparently the majority of people that spend lots of time online are men, and thus the high relative concentration of women here, would likely skew those numbers. I'm not quite sure what to make of it, but I thought it was interesting.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  6. #6
    bluesoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Land of green chile, Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    1,821
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Interesting BN Statistics

    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    That's why I put it there. The only thing that I can think of to justify it is, that apparently the majority of people that spend lots of time online are men, and thus the high relative concentration of women here, would likely skew those numbers. I'm not quite sure what to make of it, but I thought it was interesting.
    You're exactly right, and the reason that they call the women's population greatly over-represented, as it's in relation to the average.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Interesting BN Statistics

    Great reading, keep the statistical analysis coming!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Interesting BN Statistics

    Thanks for posting this mtgprox05. Interesting for sure, although I do not buy into point #5 like Scentsitivity either. I also don't believe that "...the majority of people that spend lots of time online are men..." , but thats just my opinion.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

    Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

    More HERE
    Please PM me !

  9. #9

    Default Re: Interesting BN Statistics

    Thank you, mtgprox !

    Am I totally dumb, or why do I not get this paragraph at all:
    < 5 ) Apparently, compared to the rest of the internet, women are "greatly over-represented" and men are "greatly under-represented" > The other way around it would make sense to me: BN, the fragrance board for men.
    I also think this is the most significant difference and makes it attractive for more men to join.
    Last edited by narcus; 13th February 2010 at 07:47 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Interesting BN Statistics

    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post

    drakkar noir (lol)


    Just some interesting tidbits for you guys.
    Thanks, that was interesting indeed.

    From memory, it was a search for that very scent that got me here many years ago.

    Any idea how a contempories of Basenotes, Perfume of Life and to a lesser extent OsMoz, are faring?

    I don't go to Fragrantica all that often, but I particularly like the manufacturer's/marketer's descriptions they have there. They give one an idea of what the intention behind the scent was, and can increase enthusiasm to test and evaluate. And the reviews there, in my opinion, are more the reviews of mainstream users rather than of the reviews here - which are often from the "if it's not niche it's rubbish/ synthetics are awful/it has to be a work of art/ there are no gender differences" points of view, which may limit their usefulness to many.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 13th February 2010 at 04:24 AM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Interesting BN Statistics

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Thanks, that was interesting indeed.

    From memory, it was a search for that very scent that got me here many years ago.

    Any idea how a contempories of Basenotes, Perfume of Life and to a lesser extent OsMoz, are faring?

    I don't go to Fragrantica all that often, but I particularly like the manufacturer's/marketer's descriptions they have there. They give one an idea of what the intention behind the scent was, and can increase enthusiasm to test and evaluate. And the reviews there, in my opinion, are more the reviews of mainstream users rather than of the reviews here - which are often from the "if it's not niche it's rubbish/ synthetics are awful/it has to be a work of art/ there are no gender differences" points of view, which may limit their usefulness to many.
    Renato
    Ooooff. Renato, truly, my friendship and high regard for you only grows, but I disagree with the import of what you say here.

    Chacun a son gout, and two or more groups of people develop differently through natural causes in their conversations in their groups, so it would be natural that places attract different attentions, so you're right, different tastes at different gatherings of folks. However, reviewers here and there express themselves as they wish and with the force that they believe their thoughts/experiences merit, and there is no shame and should be no regret by any any reviewers here. I think no one who's left the results of hitting their keyboard keys to leave something here should second guess themselves and wonder if doing so makes them elitist, a snob, or any other word suggesting such.

    The site and forum can handle your opinion in this matter, naturally, and but the import of such a post and what I can only read as a challenge to the utility of reviews here, I sure disagree with you.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Interesting BN Statistics

    Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    ...The site and forum can handle your opinion in this matter, naturally, and but the import of such a post and what I can only read as a challenge to the utility of reviews here, I sure disagree with you.
    --Chris
    I didn't read Renato's post the way it is being interpreted here. I also would not be worried for BN on the basis of the figures posted, or their interpretation. 'The Best' and the 'most popular' usually exclude each other.
    I know that old habits die hard, but I wonder who you are speaking for when you say "the forum can handle your opinion in this matter", DustB?
    Last edited by narcus; 13th February 2010 at 06:42 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Interesting BN Statistics

    Just the daily fix I needed to satisfy my foibles!! Thanx Mtgprox05!

    Take care all!!

    - Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

    - Anonymous

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

  14. #14
    DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

    kbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Big Blue Marble
    Posts
    18,007
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Interesting BN Statistics

    Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    You're exactly right, and the reason that they call the women's population greatly over-represented, as it's in relation to the average..... Alexa is open to manipulation much like Google or any other search engine is. To think they're exceeding BN in terms of raw volume of hits is doubtful to say the least.
    So I wonder if the same set of statistical grouping puts Makeup Alley listed as over-represented by women~

    And isn't Google result placement determined by number of hits rather than by negotiation? If so how would it be manipulated other than by massive amounts of forced or contrived hits?
    Last edited by kbe; 13th February 2010 at 01:53 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

  15. #15

    Default Re: Interesting BN Statistics

    Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    So I wonder if the same set of statistical grouping puts Makeup Alley listed as over-represented by women~
    In fact it does.

    http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/makeupalley.com

    The skew there is even larger than here at BN.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  16. #16

    Default Re: Interesting BN Statistics

    Thanks for sharing, these statistics show, among other info, also the increasingly growing cultural significance of the Basenotes phenomenon

  17. #17
    bluesoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Land of green chile, Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    1,821
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Interesting BN Statistics

    Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    So I wonder if the same set of statistical grouping puts Makeup Alley listed as over-represented by women~

    And isn't Google result placement determined by number of hits rather than by negotiation? If so how would it be manipulated other than by massive amounts of forced or contrived hits?
    It's neither, it's a proprietary method that involves incoming links from other websites, frequency of content updates, and other metrics that we're not privy to. There's a cottage industry devoted to it, however, and for the right price you can have a website that's on page one of any search term your heart desires.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Interesting BN Statistics

    Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Ooooff. Renato, truly, my friendship and high regard for you only grows, but I disagree with the import of what you say here.

    Chacun a son gout, and two or more groups of people develop differently through natural causes in their conversations in their groups, so it would be natural that places attract different attentions, so you're right, different tastes at different gatherings of folks. However, reviewers here and there express themselves as they wish and with the force that they believe their thoughts/experiences merit, and there is no shame and should be no regret by any any reviewers here. I think no one who's left the results of hitting their keyboard keys to leave something here should second guess themselves and wonder if doing so makes them elitist, a snob, or any other word suggesting such.

    The site and forum can handle your opinion in this matter, naturally, and but the import of such a post and what I can only read as a challenge to the utility of reviews here, I sure disagree with you.
    --Chris
    Hi Chris,
    I pointed out the two major differences I perceive between Basenotes and Fragantica. I recollect citing the one about the manufacturer's blurb being handy when Grant posted a thread relating to Fragrantica. At the time, Fragrantica didn't have many reviews. Since then, the reviews have grown there, and I've posted here my perception of another difference between the two sites.

    The reviews there seem to be made by people who in general are more comfortable with the concept of masculine and feminine mainstream designer scents, while over here, reviews are made by some people equally comfortable with the concept, and by people who don't accept the concept, and by people who accept the concept exists but are quite hostile towards anything that comes from it. I think the utility of Fragrantica reviews to the latter will be next to useless, while the utility of the Basenotes reviews to the former will not be as good as it could be for them - because the underlying premise behind each individual review is often not apparent.

    Lots of people here hate synthetics, or like to view the wearing of scents as a purely personal experience. So when one of them writes a review blasting a loud synthetic scent, without stating where he or she is coming from, well it just isn't too useful to people who like loud scents with nice sharp synthetic notes.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 13th February 2010 at 05:00 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. SOTD statistics
    By The_love in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 3rd January 2006, 10:56 PM
  2. Statistics time again...
    By tigrushka in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2nd October 2005, 07:03 AM
  3. SOTD statistics
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •