Code of Conduct

Default Amouage or Montale in terms of Arabian traditional smell?

Just a few days before i get my amouage samples (jubilation,dia) and my montale perfume (greyland) i wanted to know which of them the community declares the ultimate, in terms of quality and of course smell .

Both houses have great hype behind them.Montale is known as the company of one talented perfumerer that was working for arabian kings and some years ago started his own house.Amouage is known as the house that is owned by the royal family of oman

Where does the hype stop and the truth about the differencies of those lines are unveiled?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Amouage or Montale in terms of Arabian traditional smell?

Generally speaking, neither of these houses produce traditional Arabian perfumes. At least that's the way I perceive them.

While Montale uses many of the same ingredients used in traditional Arabian perfumery, the overall effect seems different to me. In comparison with Arabian perfumes, I find Montales to be thinner, leaner, lighter fragrances than the typically fuller, rounder, heavier, far more resinous fragrances produced by firms such as Qurashi, Ajmal, Yas, and Arabian Oud. To my nose the oud used by Montale doesn't smell much like the oud used in the traditional oil perfumes. I have sampled a number of Montales, and own several of them. They are well made fragrances. I like them, but I much prefer the scents made by the other houses mentioned above. Other Basenoters will have different opinions.

I prefer Amouage to Montale overall, but until some of their recent offerings such as Homage, Lyric, and Epic, their products haven't had much to to do with traditional Arabian perfumery. I love Gold, Sliver, Dia, Jubilation, Ciel, and even the much maligned Arcus, but these seem more European in style than Arabian.

I'm not familiar with Greyland, but if it's the same quality as Dia and Jubilation, you've got some fine scents headed your way! Enjoy them for what they are, but don't confuse them with the traditional Arabian smell. You can get an idea from several of the ones in the Montale Aoud line or you can check out some of the more recent offerings from Amouage that are more traditional in construction. But for more authentic traditional perfumes, look to the Arabian houses listed above.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 13th February 2010 at 04:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Neither of them, actually, can be considered 'traditional' in their approach towards perfumery.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

But i thought that both use ingredients of high quality that traditional arab perfumery has. Both i though are inspired and follow the arab approach towards perfumery

Post Thanks / Like

Why not try some pure oud oil if traditional middle easter scent is what you want?

i do not like aud much,i like spices,tobacco and flowers more

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    But it's really important to you to have a traditional Arabian scent?

Yes

Because the chances for me to get pure and strong oils and smell increase
    I would definetely would not go for a mainstream brand with a supposed to be eastern type of perfume

i made that mistake once with angel men by mugler

Post Thanks / Like

Then why not purchase some real middle eastern perfumes?

Define real

Montale and Amouage seem real to me-But if i get some more <<real>> then yes!

Post Thanks / Like

i.e actual middle eastern attars. They aren't my area of expertise, but there are many on this board who do like them. You may want to start a thread with "real middle eastern scents" or something like that in the title to catch their eye.

Also, you may like some of the scents from Madini.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 13th February 2010 at 03:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind Amouage and Montale are targeted at the western market thus are more in tune to western tastes. They may be "real" in terms of ingredients but not so in formula. I'd wager you won't find (many) native Middle Eastern people wearing these brands.

If you want real ingredients and formulas then attars are what you want, as mrclmind points out.

But aren't attars part of a perfume formula that these niche houses use? aren't attars these essential oils that these houses embrace?

Post Thanks / Like

But aren't attars part of a perfume formula that these niche houses use? aren't attars these essential oils that these houses embrace?
    I am not an expert in Middle Eastern perfume formulas, but I know many on these boards are. I'm sure they will be able to chime in and give you some resources.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a traditional Arabian style scent isn't what you're after. Most of the Arabian masculine fragrances contain primarily oud mixed with amber and/or rose. Some may also contain saffron, jasmine, patchouli, sandalwood, labdanum, or cedar. Most of them aren't heavy on the spices or florals, excepting the ones already mentioned. I'm not sure about the tobacco, but I don't think it is a common ingredient at all.

You might look at the Serge Lutens line, at fragrances such as Arabie or Fumerie Turque. Lutens likes to use dried fruits, spices, tobacco, honey, and florals in his compositions. These might be more of what you are looking for. They aren't traditional Arabian scents but are inspired by the East. Most of them are rich, sweet, and exotic. One of my favorite houses.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 14th February 2010 at 02:38 AM.