Code of Conduct

Default best/most interesting classic fragrance for everyday/office wear?

Hi there, everyone. I've always been a bit hesitant about the classic fragrances; it's probably an unreasonable fear of smelling "generic," or smelling like somebody's dad (or granddad). However, I am getting more curious to try something *old* in my everyday/office rotations, especially if it's a little bit unique. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: best/most interesting classic fragrance for everyday/office wear?

Aramis
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Last edited by petruccijc; 12th February 2010 at 09:56 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Puig - Quorum (1982)
    YSL - Pour Homme (1971)

+1 Guerlain Vetiver
    +1 YSL Pour Homme
    Versace L'Homme
    YSL Jazz
    Pino Silvestre

Caron Third man

You need to try Azzaro pour Homme and Rive Gauche pour Homme.

Vintage Tabarome if you're having a big presentation, dress up day. Habit Rouge for dressy. Guerlain Heritage for dressy to nice casual. BdP if it's cold outside. Cartier Pasha - works just about any time.

+1 FOR jAZZ and Azzaro ph
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Hermes D'Orange Vert
    Dior Eau Savage

akdeluxe

No one has mentioned Polo yet. A great classic, and just fine if used in moderation.

Hmmm, For me it's definitely Rive Gauche, Appreciated by all my colleagues! That was a main influence for me to wear this, Mutual love for the scent is good! A fine modern classic, sharp, green and very sensual!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

I wear the following to work regularly:
    Bois du Portugal
    Tabarome
    PdN New York
    Heritage
    Tiffany for Men
    JHL

and I'd second the recommendation for Caron 3rd Man, and give a nod to Gucci Envy.

All are great in the workplace setting.

I second Eau Sauvage and Rive Gauche and would also add the simple, understated yet elegant frag Chanel pour Monsieur

Azzaro pour Homme

Bois du Portugal
    Tabarome

For a power feel I like Bois du Portugal; Royal English Leather, VC&A PH. These may smell like dad or grandad, but they're damn good anyway.

Good general office scent is indeed Rive Gauche PH which is to me a sort of odd hybird in a way. Though released in 2003, it seems like it could have been developed in the 60s, 70s or 80s. Very clever, this one.

This week I wore to work (office= suit,dress shirt and tie) :
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Bois Du Portugal
    Ralph Lauren Chaps
    Zino
    M7

I felt like a million bucks every day...
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

+1 to basically everything listed

I'll add Eau d'Hermes

Basenotes Plus

Armani Eau PH.
    Versace L'Homme.
    Azzaro PH.
    Creed BDP.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 13th February 2010 at 09:31 PM.

Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel - The top notes are a little harsh, but it settles down into a powdery scent that my wife likes a lot.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Here are two suggestions from Givenchy:

Givenchy
    Gentleman
    (1974)
    Paul Léger
    Leather-Citrus Chypre
    ------------------
    Top Notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Rose, Honey, Tarragon, Cinnamon
    Middle Notes: Patchouli, Jasmine, Cedar, Orris Root
    Base Notes: Amber, Civet, Russian Leather, Moss, Musk, Vetiver
    ------------------

and

Givenchy
    Monsieur de Givenchy
    (1959)
    Roure
    Oriental Eau de Cologne
    ------------------
    Top Notes: Lemon, Carnation, Cinnamon, Black Pepper
    Middles Notes: Lavender, Verbena
    Base Notes: Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Musk
    ------------------
    Last edited by JaimeB; 13th February 2010 at 10:28 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

+1 on the Monsieur de Givenchy. 51 years old and still an archetype of understated elegance, in the office and abroad.

It'll never smell "generic," or smelling like somebody's dad (or granddad). This classic will not let you down.

Monsieur Balmain
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Aramis is what you might be looking for... certainly not genric and has a very 'classy' smell about it. Another fragrance I suggest is Polo Green... likewise with Aramis; it's unique and gives that 'classy' smell, not the older gentlemen type of smell. Those are probably my best suggestions from my wardrobe though, I'm sure they're other great ones out there too.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

No such thing as the best IMO but these few everyday scents would take some beating:-

Burberry for Men
    Bulgari pour Homme
    Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur
    Eau de Rochas pour Homme

Also +1 on Armani Eau Pour Homme and Givenchy Gentleman.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 14th February 2010 at 08:05 PM.

I would go with Tabac Original EDC. It was a consistent winner for me for over 2 decades. If you have never tried it, give it a go!

+1 Givenchy Gentleman
    +1 Azzaro PH
    +1 Guerlain Vertiver
    +1 Rive Gauche
    +1 Eau Savauge
    +1 Chanel Pour Monsieur

Guerlain Heritage
    Chanel Egoiste

the catch is: my colleagues do not seem to smell anything

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

The only frag in my collection that i wouldn't wear to the office is Amouage Gold Men - for obvious reasons!

Any other frag is okay, if applied reasonably.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

+1 Guerlain Vetiver
    +1 Puig Quorum

I would say there is no better the Chanel Pour Monsieur Concetree

+ Aramis 900
    + Rive Gouche

Tuscany by Aramis.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Blog Entries

Classic Office Wear: Monsieur de Givenchy
    Christian Dior's Eau Sauvage

Modern Day Office Wear: L'Instant Homme
    Deauville by Michel Germain

PdN New York
    plain wonderful!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

+1 Givenchy Gentleman
    +1 Guerlain Vetiver
    +1 Dior Eau Savauge
    +1 YSL Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoiled View Post
    Hi there, everyone. I've always been a bit hesitant about the classic fragrances; it's probably an unreasonable fear of smelling "generic," or smelling like somebody's dad (or granddad).
    Why not smell as Your grannies granny? Nobody will ever figure out what it is. I tried and it was fun: Floramye, released 1905, female. Depends on the education of Your office mates. Mine are scientists, knowing more or less incidentally what aldehydes are. I made a major deal while wearing darn cheap but 'generic' Yardleys English Lavender to complement a white shirt.

If Your comrades are open minded as You Yourself, don't hesitate. It's like wearing a fancy tie in a casual environment. It reflects on expectations, thus an open mind is a prerequisite. As with any true style.

I'll say Equipage, for one that is easy to obtain and not too expensive.

In addition to the many excellent suggestions above:
    Habit Rouge
    Jicky
    Dunhill for Men
    Caron PuH
    Eau d'Hermes
    Knize Ten

I like Aramis its unique ,classy, and if applied sparingly ....I've had two compliments by women and no complaints by guys.

Im the first to recommend Drakkar Noir????

Prada's Infusion d'Homme is a great office fragrance which in wearing would be pretty hard to offend anyone unless clean happens to offend someone.

Also, Tom Ford for Men is fantastic in an office setting. You even get to enjoy a very light tobacco scent for yourself while wearing it. Its subtle. Very nice