Code of Conduct

Default I want to like C&S Cuba

I have tried Cuba a few times from a vial and the fecal note was well, vile. Do you think if I sprayed this on with an atomizer the fecal note would come across differently? I so want to like this.

Default Re: I want to like C&S Cuba

This will come across stronger from the spray than a few dabs from a small vial. The problem with iffy notes is the association you have with that particular note. You have to re wire your brain so to speak so your association for that note is changed and you can only do that by trying to understand the scent.

With Cuba its all about the creators take on his trip to Cuba and putting that into a fragrance. So we get rum, sugarcane, tobacco and musk. When I bought the full bottle of this I also bought a Montecristo cigar and smoked it after I sprayed on the cologne. And the fecal note smells exactly like the tobacco from a Cuban cigar. So for me when I get that note I no longer think it as a fecal note but a Cuban tobacco note. It all depends if you can get a understanding of it to change your perception, sometimes you can others times you just cannot take that leap.
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 12th February 2010 at 11:55 PM.

The fecal note will still be present, but it's really only there for the first few minutes, so it shouldn't be much of a problem...

At the present, C & S, as a house, is hugely over-hyped and its fragrances average at best, and I'm including the much-vaunted No.88 (in its current formulation). I'm sure I'll catch all kinds of flack for saying so, but I've just not been terribly impressed. Every one of their fragrances gets waaaay too much love here, the exception being their Neroli, which does not get enough. People need to stop trying to 'get' Cuba. It's just not very good. Nice toilets, mediocre scents.

Neroli is my favorite from C&S

wrong thread
    Last edited by Carlos; 13th February 2010 at 01:35 AM.

Fwiw...what is called "fecal" on this board is called "barnyard" on cigar boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Partagas View Post
    Fwiw...what is called "fecal" on this board is called "barnyard" on cigar boards.
    I like this. Barnyard certainly is a much more complex description. Fecal is so off-putting.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th February 2010 at 02:14 AM.

Hmmm, I see....If it proves languid and un-important of time constraints then don't worry about it, there's plenty of time in this world...Explore other frags then come back to this one...*This was the same with me and Bal A Versailles...Once I studied and understood it...I fell in Love...there is this sublime mossy not about it!!"

Good Luck!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

The fecal/barnyard note is what makes it a success. It wouldn't be the same without it.
    -

If you're one that notices the fecal note in Cuba, there's no getting around it. I wanted to like it as well and found myself scrubbing it off anytime I thought I try it again.

keep trying when you wear it in a full application you'll see how the mint works to . . . make the funky bit ok...

I am not sure I would spend too much time trying to "get" a fragrance. There comes a point where you just have to accept that it doesn't work for you.

i dont think Cuba is all about its top notes. for me, it's the mids to base accords. it's simply mesmerising and not one bit off-putting.

Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe View Post
    I am not sure I would spend too much time trying to "get" a fragrance. There comes a point where you just have to accept that it doesn't work for you.
    Exactly. Why do people try to "get" any fragrance. Either you like it or you don't. I personally like a lot of what this house makes, especially 88 and Cuba. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

Neal, if its just not there its just not there.
    I wanted to like Cuba too, but I found it extremely difficult to wear and ultimately I gave away my full bottle.
    Square peg, round hole...

Barnyard? If you want barnyard, go with Parfum d'Habit and smell it close to your skin. Now that is barnyard.

Cuba is more of a fecal smell without the rest of the barnyard smells coming in.

However, I am wearing a sample of Cuba today and I like it, but not enough to buy a bottle.

PM me anyone if they have a half bottle or so of Cuba they'd like to sell

I'm wearing it today. Wonderfully complex fragrance. Tried it, loved it, bought a full bottle. Will buy another when this one's gone. If you don't "get it" then move on to something else.
    ~Mark~

NO! NO! NO! I am going to 'get' it.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    NO! NO! NO! I am going to 'get' it.
    First accept that Barnyard is GOOOOD *deep thundery voice*

I loved C&S Cuba right from its launch. Thinking (with my nose) back, it was the fecal accord that gave Cuba the "character" i thought it had. Definitely getting another on my next visit to London.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Any frag that contains a strong note or accord that the wearer really does not like or "get" then, perhaps seven to nine times out of ten, no matter how much they persist, the wearer will never like or "get" it in anything. Pretty much every single BNer has one of those notes or accords - for me it's that cloying, stale, powdery sweetness apparent in about 70% of traditional old English frags and most amber scents. For some it's the "fecal" note in most C&S frags. For others it's aldehydes. For some it's ozonics.

I love Cuba and 88 and I don't smell a fecal note in either of them.