Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Red face Barbara Bui "Le Parfum".

Am I the only one who thinks this is the fragrance of Angels? I never hear anyone speak of it save me, of course. The vanilla, incense and heliotrope has smitten me big time. I won't tell you how many bottles I have aquired but, it is enough to take me through the year 2035. If the world ends in 2012 I am over invested. (LOL) I amped up the experience tonight with a little Molinard Heliotrope and wow. It is like a 60's out of body experience.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 13th February 2010 at 02:27 AM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Barbara Bui "Le Parfum".

Well my interest is piqued and I will definitely sample this when I get home - it sounds divine !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

It is the gentlest and kindest of perfumes. The olfactory equivalent of a soft, 6-week-old kitten to me. Grey with a pink nose.I smell mostly the softest white musk, and a powdery accord. I've never noticed heliotrope, maybe because I've dabbled with too many of the heavy,sweet, almondy heliotrope bombs (think: Farnesiana). In fact, I never would have associate heliotrope with it--though that may be what gives it the powdery texture. I'll have to sniff again.

In any case, Le Parfum is a study in restraint, and that is what makes it so appealing to me.

I wore it yesterday, and as always with this one I went back and forth on it. Sometimes I find it too powdery as the day goes on. Love the first , muskier minutes, though. It keeps almost landing on my swap list, not b/c I don't like it, but b/c it isn't quite me.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 13th February 2010 at 08:49 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Post Thanks / Like

I recently got it in a problematic swap on MUA... Heavenly... So glad I finally got it.... *must wear it often*

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of my favourite sleep scents. I have to sample it first before wearing it in the day because sometimes I get is too much white musk and heliotrope. Other days I get the incense as well and it is perfection. I bought Sonia Rykiel for Women because it smells very similar but richer and woodier with a touch more incense. I don't love it quite as much as BB though because it doesn't have that ethereal, other wordly character that BB does.

There is a rumour that it is to be re-launched soon and I'm crossing my fingers that it wont be changed.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW - who is Barbara Bui? Clothing designer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

mikeperez23; Yes, Mr. Mike she is a clothing and accessory designer. I think she is French and Vietnamese as I recall. Le Parfum was not supposed to be available in the U.S. but somehow got in. I notice that one perfume seller has a disclaimer that says that it cannot be shipped out of the U.S. Interesting. If and I say If it gets re-released hopefully it will not get reformulated. I have rounded up a number of bottles to store in my underground fragrance shelter so, I am good for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    BTW - who is Barbara Bui? Clothing designer?
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 13th February 2010 at 09:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

N_Tesla,

I love Barbara Bui, too. It's often mentioned over on MUA, that's where I first heard of it.

I never wear skin scents but BB is one of the best.

I've stocked up as well. BB was on sale for crazy low prices about a year ago - I think $20 bucks per bottle on parfum1. I also got the Huile Blanc (White Oil) and I wear that in the winter for dryness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hilaryjane View Post
    This is one of my favourite sleep scents. I have to sample it first before wearing it in the day because sometimes I get is too much white musk and heliotrope. Other days I get the incense as well and it is perfection. I bought Sonia Rykiel for Women because it smells very similar but richer and woodier with a touch more incense. I don't love it quite as much as BB though because it doesn't have that ethereal, other wordly character that BB does.

There is a rumour that it is to be re-launched soon and I'm crossing my fingers that it wont be changed.
    Had to add that I wore ELd'O Charogne last night and although the head and heart notes are very different, the drydown is incredibly similar - strange but true !

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I too find Barbara Bui's Le Parfum to be an excellent sleep fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love it and have a bottle that I reach for often, particularly at night :-)
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Post Thanks / Like

I bought this fragrance blind, due to this thread... and I love it! Soft and natural and smooth, then it very quickly turns to incense on me, which I love -- (well, I wish it would slow down, but quick to drydown is what typically happens on my skin.) I bought mine on ebay for not too much and it's the best bang for the buck of any scent I've purchased to date. Quality stuff and a beautiful bottle as well. Thanks basenotes and n_tesla! (yes, I'm tempted to stock up a bit as well...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am pleased that this thread has heightened awareness of Le Parfum and that some have found it worthy of a place in their wardrobes. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Barbara Bui! This is another favorite of mine and I have recommended it/shared samples with several others who went on to purchase a bottle. Bui is my go-to fragrance when I don't know what else to wear, or when I want to be scented but not be noticed too much for my fragrance. I do hope it comes back in its original formula.

I have just one big bottle but might have to stock up on some more. . . .

Post Thanks / Like

It's one of my favorites for sleeping, but out in the world it doesn't feel like me somehow. No reflection on the scent, though -- it is beautiful. I've also had good luck layering it with other scents.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

PB101; Hi, I wonder what fragrances you layered with Barbara Bui's Le Parfum? Your experiences would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by PB101 View Post
    It's one of my favorites for sleeping, but out in the world it doesn't feel like me somehow. No reflection on the scent, though -- it is beautiful. I've also had good luck layering it with other scents.