Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default best oud = agarwood scents ???

Now that I know that oud = agarwood, I would like to smell that magic ingredient.

Could you please recommend me some good oud scents?

Thanks!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Default Re: best oud = agarwood scents ???

The easiest to access will be YSL's M7.

Also:
    Oud Wood - Tom Ford
    Aoud Homme - M Micallef
    Montale Ouds (haven't smelt those though)
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Just about every niche house has come out with an oud-centric scent (or twenty) in the last few years. L'Artisan's recent release has been getting a fair amount of attention. Montale has a whole Oud line with Black Aoud (dark roses and oud) being among the most popular and well received.

YSL M7 may have been the first western designer scent to use oud and it's great, but can come off as both medicinal and sweet. Habit Rouge edp formulation has an additional oud note in the base that's woodier.

Then there's real agarwood oil which is extremely expensive and precious. Notes range from medicinal, to sweet wood, to barnyard fecal and everywhere in-between. Very strong and longlasting.
    Last edited by Antaeusintheair; 13th February 2010 at 11:10 AM.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

My favorite use of oud in a modern fragrance right now is Habit Rouge EDP. Pure Oud oil is quite wonderful too, if you want to pay the price for it.

I would highly recommend the following site to you,

www.agaraura.com

This is what PURE OUD OIL is suppossed to smell like! Buying Oud is never cheap to begin with so you must be willing to spend in order to gain an education as to what pure Oud oil is suppossed to smell like.

Be very careful though ... once you go Arabian, you can't ever go back.

That site also sells samples so I would advise you to buy as many samples as you can and see which Oud oil you like best. Every Oud oil smells different to one another. Every region's Oud is different to anothers.

Hope that helps!

You may also want to purchase a bit of aloeswood and burn it. That's the most ancient form of enjoying this scent, not the oil. It's an intensely beautiful incense (albeit an acquired taste).

While not unpleasant to many people, commercial Western spray fragrances from Tom Ford, Le Labo, By Killian and Montale have none or very little actual oud and don't come anywhere near the depth, complexity and sheer emotional effect real ouds possess. These scents can be interesting but they are just two-dimensional black-and-white low-resolution print outs of stunningly beautiful 3-dimensional object of dazzlying colours. Another comparison that comes to mind is that commercial "oud" spray fragrances to real oud are what Juicy Fruit chewing gum is to real tropical fruit

I would try and sample some of the real stuff from highly reputable sellers like Oriscent, Agar Aura, Abdul Samad Al Qurashi etc.

Contrary to the popular belief (usually shared by those who tried Montale's "aouds") agarwood doesn't smell "medicinal" or "bandaid-like", there is a lot different types of scent profiles in ouds from different regions and a lot of variations within each general type. The barnyard ouds are generally liked in the Middle East, particularly in the Gulf states and not so much by the typical "Westerners", i.e. the liking for the barnyardy ouds is an acquired taste. Other, more "universally appealing" for the lack of a better word, oud scent profiles do much better with the Western audiences - Indonesian/Borneo which are generally very woody and diffusive in an almost menthol/camphor way (Oriscent's Borneos), Cambodian non-barnyard sweet ouds which can be deep and intoxicating (Oudimentary's KSSS, Agaraura's Ateeq, ASAQ's Thaqeel) and some unconventional Indian of the highest quality that lack the barnyard but still have the depth and complexity of the genre (Agaraura's Indian Spice, ASAQ Kalakassi).

If the above sounds way too complicated (it is!) and you absolutely have to go with the Western "oud" fragrances, then By Killian's Pure Oud is probably the one that's arguably least off-the-mark, it might actually have a bit of the real stuff in there, but overall it's not even a pale shadow of what the real good-quality oud smells like.

I agree with you that the best way to understand oud is to smell it directly, however there ARE some varieties of pure oud oil that have the smell that many people associate with "medicinal" at least as part of their development. Within the ouds there is such a huge variety, much more variety IMO than rose oils and absolutes have. Also, it is not fair to compare pure oud with a composition that has an oud note in it. The best of those compositions are not trying to give the wearer the same experience as pure oud, they are trying to use oud within a larger fragrance profile. It is like comparing apples to flax seed as far as I'm concerned. There are several fragrances which use oud as a note that I think are quite brilliant, and very different than a pure oud oil.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 13th February 2010 at 03:18 PM.

In my opinion, all these perfume houses fail when they incorporate Oud in their fragrances. Every single one of them, By Killian, Le Lebo 27, Tom Ford Oud Wood, etc ...

Oud in my opinion is best left to the Middle Eastern perfume houses, if we are referring to blends, sprays, etc.

All the western/european houses just can't get it right. It's like I create something and then someone else comes along and trys to copy it. FAIL!

Well then you won't be buying any of those I guess. There are a few that I like from Montale and Guerlain. They are very "European" and for you they are failures. I enjoy them.

I do agree with you though that for the pure oud experience, you need to buy a Middle Easter scent, or better yet the pure oil.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 13th February 2010 at 03:39 PM.

I've been using perfume for about 50 years - and did not know anything about oud...

So I'm delighted to learn something new here. Thanks very much all of you who have contributed to enlighten me. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    You may also want to purchase a bit of aloeswood and burn it. That's the most ancient form of enjoying this scent, not the oil. It's an intensely beautiful incense (albeit an acquired taste).
    Yup that's right.

AgarAura also sells the chips as well, (click on chips)

www.agaraura.com/

Montale would be the only exception. I consider Montale's perfumes to be more of a Middle Eastern scent profile. Considering the fact that Pierre Montale went over to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to create fragrances for kings and upon his arrival back to France, he opened the Montale perfume house.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luis View Post
    I've been using perfume for about 50 years.....

Whooooa!!! I really look forward to your insights on scents you have used over the years.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by acer3 View Post
    Montale would be the only exception. I consider Montale's perfumes to be more of a Middle Eastern scent profile. Considering the fact that Pierre Montale went over to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to create fragrances for kings and upon his arrival back to France, he opened the Montale perfume house.
    Seems like we are on the same page with Montale then. Do you not like the oud note in Habit Rouge EDP?

Haven't tried it yet mate Have you tried the 1965? Is it nice?

Ohh and by the way, people referring to M7 as the ultimate Oud fragrance - I was like lol! You got to be kidding me!

M7 is obviously not the ultimate oud scent, but it is the most accessible one. Haven't tried the 1965.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    While not unpleasant to many people, commercial Western spray fragrances from Tom Ford, Le Labo, By Killian and Montale have none or very little actual oud and don't come anywhere near the depth, complexity and sheer emotional effect real ouds possess. These scents can be interesting but they are just two-dimensional black-and-white low-resolution print outs of stunningly beautiful 3-dimensional object of dazzlying colours. Another comparison that comes to mind is that commercial "oud" spray fragrances to real oud are what Juicy Fruit chewing gum is to real tropical fruit
    The truth, and nice work on the chewing gum to real fruit analogy.

I do however enjoy Montale's Original Oud, which to me is a better and more butch version of Killian's Pure Oud (Original Oud came before Pure Oud). I like wearing original Oud when i'm in an easygoing mood and don't want to fish out my real oud oils.

I therefore recommend Montale's Original Oud to the topic creator.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

..there ARE some varieties of pure oud oil that have the smell that many people associate with "medicinal" at least as part of their development. Within the ouds there is such a huge variety...
    The pure oud oils I've smelled so far had scent profiles that could be described as, for example, woody/smoky, woody/floral, woody/spicy, turpy, camphory, banyard-y, animalic, or the cheap/adulterated stuff can have chemical or leathery smell. I've yet to smell pure oud oil that I would characterize as medicinal and/or bandaid like which is the *oud* note I smell in Montales. I've nothing against these or any other western 'oud' perfumes, some of them I like a lot ( Black oud, Kilian's Pure Oud), although I don't perceive them as 'oud scents' any more. Imho, they mostly give a totally wrong impression of what real agarwood oil smells like. Hence could you please be more specific as to which variety of agarwood oil you're referring to? Thanks!

Luis - if you're looking for a good scent that features real oud note as part of the mixture I recommend getting samples of oil blends sold by companies like Agarscents bazaar (e.g. Prince Bandar), Agaraura (Areej Malaki), Arabian Oud (King Fahed, Ameera) or Ajmal (e.g. Mukhallat Dehn al Oud Moattaq). If you're after quality oud scents, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    The pure oud oils I've smelled so far had scent profiles that could be described as, for example, woody/smoky, woody/floral, woody/spicy, turpy, camphory, banyard-y, animalic, or the cheap/adulterated stuff can have chemical or leathery smell. I've yet to smell pure oud oil that I would characterize as medicinal and/or bandaid like which is the *oud* note I smell in Montales. I've nothing against these or any other western 'oud' perfumes, some of them I like a lot ( Black oud, Kilian's Pure Oud), although I don't perceive them as 'oud scents' any more. Imho, they mostly give a totally wrong impression of what real agarwood oil smells like. Hence could you please be more specific as to which variety of agarwood oil you're referring to? Thanks!

Luis - if you're looking for a good scent that features real oud note as part of the mixture I recommend getting samples of oil blends sold by companies like Agarscents bazaar (e.g. Prince Bandar), Agaraura (Areej Malaki), Arabian Oud (King Fahed, Ameera) or Ajmal (e.g. Mukhallat Dehn al Oud Moattaq). If you're after quality oud scents, that is.
    Some of the indian varieties have a bit of that medicinal smell IMO.

I don't think I've smelt any Indian Oud oil which has a medicinal note in it? Perhaps that's just me ...

phibess-have you smelled Ajmals dehn al oudh shams special edition? it has a pretty good indian oudh note.....but its just a note that dosent evolve like a real oil...still smells pretty good when wearing an indian oud.

just like phibess and Acer and Igor all said....There really is no oudh note in a montale.....dont get me wrong montale makes some pretty good eastern style perfumes...that some give a feel of a real eastern mukhallat.....but I have no idea why they call them aouds. If there is any oud in them theres no trace by nose.

If you want to try an excellent oud oil....agaraura.com is the best place and quality for the price....and one of the only places you can buy single samples....i suggest the cambodhi ateeq and indian spice to start out with....they are both excellent quality ouds.

its starting to aggrivate me that people think theres oud in perfumes like L'artisan. ect ect

think about it....le labo montale l'artisan by kilian all of those western perfumes that say they are ouds...all smell different! like how do you know whats the oud note in them? real oud oils if you have a cambodi oil you know its cambodi not indian. montale has a medicine note...l'artisans smells like powder....le labo smells like merlot wine......royal oud montale smells like a band aid...which one is the oud note? and what region oud is it? bandaid land?

once you get to know real agarwood/oud then you will realize that Montale is an attempt...and a pretty successful attempt...of making western perfume with an eastern twist to it......then once you can accept that...you will realize that all the other companies are trying to copy montales fragrances and success. They arent even being really that creative...I think they all are trying to make some kind of version of black aoud...and all have the name oud in it! ....of course there are some exceptions....like le labo oud27 is some sort of royal oud rip off....but think of all the mediciny rose scents there are by so many different companies! m micallaf bond no 9! ect ect ect ect. all of them arent copying oud...they are all copying montales sucess....and lets face it...the east meets west in perfumes is hot right now! the eastern companies like Ajmal Abdul samad al quarishi and arabian oud are doing the opposite in the eastern part of the world....they are taking classic eastern oils with rose oud saffron amber and making sprays out of them and giving them a western feel! to understand this you have to get into eastern perfumes.....and do your self a favor try a real oud oil....you will love its many faces.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Quote Originally Posted by acer3 View Post
    I don't think I've smelt any Indian Oud oil which has a medicinal note in it? Perhaps that's just me ...
    All oud oils are very complex, so what one person is interpreting as a particular note, you may be experiencing very differently.

We never used to call it "oud" it was always called "lignaloes" and the variety we always used in perfumes was from India. These days western perfumery has access to much more in terms of agarwood oils as well as synthetic aroma chemicals that have oud properties that weren't available to most perfumers (in America at least) a few decades ago.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 13th February 2010 at 08:13 PM.

xxxxxxx
    Last edited by mrclmind; 13th February 2010 at 08:12 PM.

All oud oils are very complex, so what one person is interpreting as a particular note, you may be experiencing very differently.

We never used to call it "oud" it was always called "lignaloes" and the variety we always used in perfumes was from India. These days western perfumery has access to much more in terms of agarwood oils as well as synthetic aroma chemicals that have oud properties that weren't available to most perfumers (in America at least) a few decades ago.

you obviously never smelled indian oud. there is no medicine note in any indian oud period....i dont care how anyone percieves it. now if you said it smells like diarea....I would go along with that way before I accepted mediciny in an indian oil as a note. I would even accept throw up, shit, hay, camel dung, but not mediciny anywhere in its composition. unless it was some kind of distillation gone terribly wrong......I smelled a borneo oil where the distiller messed up and it has a gasoline note in it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!

I lol'd when I read this,

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    and what region oud is it? bandaid land?
    Hehehe

Lol Dred, relax mate

The only medicinal note I've smelt would be with an Amber oil. It kinda smells like Dettol and I do like it Do you also relise how vague 'medicinal' is? What medicinal note are you referring to? Their are over hundreds of medicinal notes, please be a bit more specific.

That's like me saying, "Well you know it kinda smells like perfume, you know?"

You see how I'm playing it vague here? How many different perfumes exist? Do you see my point here?

what you dont know the perfumy note? after all this time? lol
    I have an oud that smells perfumy! lol from ming
    yeah I have Ajmal pure amber and it smells really mediciny! I wish I had an oud I could wear with it! but none are mediciny!

my stuff for sale!

Mrcl, I think it's a vocabulary barrier that you are experiencing here. For lack of a better word, you referred to it as 'medicinal'. It isn't easy describing the many facets of Oud.

lol I've just been bombarded with 4 consecutive PM's ... I wonder who they are from *casts a suspicious eye at Dred* hehehe

Regarding the topic, we hereby declare that the bestest Oud in the whole entire world is M7. It is the bestest Oud in the world!