Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: best oud = agarwood scents ???

From this day forward, I will recommend Ajmal's Lujain to anyone looking for an introduction to oud, especially the stinky kind.
    I don't know if there is real oil inside or not (they claim it's real, cultivated) but I don't care. It smells very good, and it's very affordable.

Green, tart, hay and fecal.
    45 bucks for 25ml edp

any other suggestions?
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

The smell of oud varies and can be very harsh, and sometimes not so much so. I've tried many from Montale's Aoud line and a few other ouds from other houses. As far as Montale goes, I really enjoy White Aoud (saffron/oud) and Black Aoud (roses/oud). I recently tried Royal Oud by Creed which was also very pleasant. I think it is just a matter of getting your hands on some samples and giving them a test run.
    Currently wearing: White Aoud by Montale

First of all with respect commarades oud is nearly vanishing by masssive poching untill the aragrwood specie has been included in Cites appendix.
    Second,oud oil can be distilled from infected part of the tree which occurs by the time.
    Thirdly,Agarwood trees are being infected synthetically to produce more fragrant material.
    What we may have as ouds todays are as follows:
    1/Oud oils made from low quality agarwoods .They are on sale as true agarwood oils however they are not because the oil being distilled is not mainly from infected part.
    2/Synthetic oud oils which are Agarwood bases meant to reconstitute Agarwood scent.They are made generally from Aroma chemicals.
    3/Agarwood reconstitutions The most famous of them are Givaudin's Black agar and Fermenich oud Blend
    Widely used by french Perfume houses to make their floral orientals or so called ouds destned to the western markets.
    4/ Arcadi boix Camps agarwood oils which better then the two latters .He spent around 30 years on research of agarwood captive moleculesto end up reconstituing many oud oils by almost 95 percent.
    5/True artisanal oud oil ,which is found in small batches or amounts made by a very few local distillators and adventurous entrepreneus like ensaroud.It is costful however it merits for its originality.

M7 aphrodisiatic compain and and weird brief "Torrid,male,and extremly sexy"made Note that is quality is known by connesseurs only and the are
    Jacques Cavallier and Alberto Morillas, use Karanal boosted by mandarine with bitter and sweet facettes of myrrhe ,a cherry twist which remind me of le Boxeuses of the dreamer Serge Lutens. A a fumugating caramal note évoquing the fume of oud with hints of castoréum and indole to round it well .
    An impolite marketing compain.
    A well recieved perfume.
    an untrue oud by the end.
    French perfumery .

Quote Originally Posted by Mohamed1988 View Post
    First of all with respect commarades oud is nearly vanishing by masssive poching untill the aragrwood specie has been included in Cites appendix.
    Second,oud oil can be distilled from infected part of the tree which occurs by the time.
    Thirdly,Agarwood trees are being infected synthetically to produce more fragrant material.
    1/Oud oils made from low quality agarwoods .They are on sale as true agarwood oils however they are not because the oil being distilled is not mainly from infected part.
    2/Synthetic oud oils which are Agarwood bases meant to reconstitute Agarwood scent.They are made generally from Aroma chemicals.
    3/Agarwood reconstitutions The most famous of them are Givaudin's Black agar and Fermenich oud Blend
    Widely used by french Perfume houses to make their floral orientals or so called ouds destned to the western markets.
    4/ Arcadi boix Camps agarwood oils which better then the two latters .He spent around 30 years on research of agarwood captive moleculesto end up reconstituing many oud oils by almost 95 percent.
    5/True artisanal oud oil ,which is found in small batches or amounts made by a very few local distillators and adventurous entrepreneus like ensaroud.It is costful however it merits for its originality.

M7 aphrodisiatic compain and and weird brief "Torrid,male,and extremly sexy"made Note that is quality is known by connesseurs only and the are
    Jacques Cavallier and Alberto Morillas, use Karanal boosted by mandarine with bitter and sweet facettes of myrrhe ,a cherry twist which remind me of le Boxeuses of the dreamer Serge Lutens. A a fumugating caramal note évoquing the fume of oud with hints of castoréum and indole to round it well .
    A well recieved perfume.
    French perfumery .
    Very interesting and helpful post Mohamed. Thank you!

I'm not very much into oud (to be honest, I find it a difficult note to appreciate), but among the things I do have, I'd probalby say TDC Oud Shamash or the obvious Montale Black Aoud. On a sidenote, I've noticed that my GF, who is not into fragrances at all, enjoys the smell of oud on me more than I enjoy wearing it (she loves both of the above)...

Oud Wood, hands down!

TDC OUD Shamash or Montale black oud all these ouds meant to reintroduce the west to the mystic oud oils However in fact they were destined to the middle eastern markets where oud is deeply rooted in perfuming traditions.
    Few where the perfumery houses which used real agarwood oil in their so called oud verisons and one of the latters TDC OUD Shamash which used a low quality Oud butter from Laos costing more than 14000 Euros per Kilo and sold by biolandes france company .
    I have tried the Laos oud butter once and it was absolutely stinky and I am sure that it is in very low quantity in OUD Shamash for three reasons:
    1/Cost reduction purpose.
    2/Risk of corrupting the blind,and for this reason it was over layed by spices,rose ,nagramotha(cypriol),vanilla,Toulou Balsam,and ambry notes.
    3/TDC's engagement for quality ingredients which I do respect.
    OUD butters are always different than oud oils and oud oils are also different in qualties.Even oud oils from different places ,Combodian,Laos,Assam, differ in nuances.
    True oud oils ar genuine and very smooth in scent they cannot be hated even if one does not like woody scents,and as for Bertrand Duchafour made an acceptable woody oriental but the name of the creation is a bit weird . Shamash god of the sun by Akkadians in mesopotamia.
    If it was named OUD Laos it was to be better recieved.

Creative directors are sometimes weird.

For ajmal they have a luxury range which I did not tested however I doubt all the rest of their ranges will include Givaudin's Fermenich'sand symrise's oudy bases as Ajmal admitted.
    We need to know that oud oil is e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e and quantities are not so important.
    An honest oud introduction is a bit expensive ut it merits if one have extra and extra monies.
    https://ensaroud.com/product/ultimate-oud-sampler/189
    The only OUD oils I trust to buy although they are very expensive.
    This man is doing a good job and he is among the last oud connesseurs.

Red face Re: best oud = agarwood scents ???

It all depends on the type of make and agarwood. Sometimes its incomparable as different agarwood lovers prefer different scent. But grading AAA or +++ are more expensive and deep smell.

XXV For sure....
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerboy View Post
    Oud Wood, hands down!
    While this is fantastic scent, the Oud is in the background...not prominent like GPH, XXV, or some of the Montales.
    Last edited by psyside; 28th January 2016 at 02:43 AM.
    1. Dior - Homme/Intense (vintage)

Creed - Aventus

Amouage - Jubilation XXV

Amouage - Reflection Man

Dior - Feve Delicious

Hermes - Terre d'Hermes

Parfums De Marly - Herod

Tom Ford - Oud Wood

Serge Lutens - Chergui

10. Lalique - Encre Noire Extreme

Life's too short for average fragrances.
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

While uncertain as to how good it is-not just in terms of the pleasantness it has, but the sheer quality of its ingredients and manufacturing, enjoying LM Black Oud quite a bit lately

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I currently enjoy The Night by Frederic Malle
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Oud Wood +1, Aoud Rose, Jubilation XXV, Mona di Orio Oud.

I have some original oud from Assam ( CO2 extract). Concentrated-The opening notes are very sweet, woody, and when diluted with jojoba oil and some fraction of sandalwood oil the opening notes are very fecal and a bit overwhelming. It looks like this needs very diluted portions to kick the first smell woody with a hint of smoke- off. I am still working to formulate a right proportion of the ingredients.

Another observation: Adding a little bit Haitian vetiver changed its performance. In other words, vetiver took over the main notes- woody and earthy a bit dirty too if I dare to mention this.

I know that the OP must have had their experience of oud a while ago, however; I still wanted to provide some feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohamed1988 View Post

A well recieved perfume.
    French perfumery .
    Interesting, Thanks. Karanal is powerful stuff.

This new House of Oud....Crop 2016, is really growing on me!

Just a youtube clip how agarwood is artificially "made": Pretty S/M stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHoMaKPTsaE

Agar Aura samples 5 pure oud oils (Al Syed Ceylon No1, King Koh Kong, Mahabali, Lao Chen Xiang, Kehebatan) and 3 oud Mukhallats (Kinam attar, Neriko Attar, Intiqa'ie) arrived.
    Olfactory insanity.
    Artisanally distilled oud blend (mixture, mukhallat) samples.

I whiffed the scents for hours after their arrival.... I can confirm that the Ajmal Mukhallat Dahn Al Oudh Moattaq contains real oud. But these little vials were much more concentrated and diverse each. The pure oud oils come from different provenances (Sri Lanka, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, India) and their scent universes are clearly distinguishable, multi layered and they bring the scent universe to a whole new level. Really.
    Below are the 5 pure oud oil samples

No "stinking grade" agarwood mimicking aromachemicals here.

In my opinion these unique distillations are not consumables but collectibles.

https://www.asiaplantationcapital.com/products/agarwood
    " The latest records from CITES indicate that recorded global trade in oud oil in 2012 was 4,870 litres, a 1,512% increase in volume from 2004."

Plantation oud oils will be there, since the global market grows for them, not only for fragrance but also therapeutical values in medicine. Wild oud, and especially oil distilled from wild oud chips will vanish quickly with the exponential population explosion and deforestation.
    Last edited by HTom; 14th July 2017 at 10:27 AM. Reason: OK

Finally, the Thai Ouds samples from Rising Phoenix arrived too.

1. Wild Thai Suede Agarwood
    2. Thai Snga Makham - 120 Year Old Thai Malaccensis Oud Oil
    3. Thai Pa Pa Kea - 190 Year Old Thai Crassna Oud Oil
    4. JK De Lapp was kind enough to insert one more pure oud oil, it is called Thai Leather.

As Mr. De Lapp explained, it is never the oud oil itself that is 30, 50, 80, 100, 120, 150 or 190 years old, but it indicates the age of the wild Aquilaria or Gyrinops tree cut in the jungle, from which the oud (=noble rotten wound tissue, pumped full with resins and oils by the harmed tree for years or decades) was removed and then distilled.

So I decided to present them together with my Agar Aura oud mixtures/blends and pure oud oil samples to the sellers in the Budapest niche fragrance shops where I purchased my favorite "oud" fragrances, neroli.hu and Madison.hu.

I wanted to show them how those essential oil smell like, and also was curious about their reactions which fragrances they would name as the closest to what they have seen.

At neroli.hu where they carry more oriental perfumes such as Ajmal and the French-Arabian Amouage, the reaction to the Thai ouds of Rising Phoenix was that they are all wearable and that the Mukhallat Dahn Al Oudh Moattaq in the 18 ml crystal bottle from Ajmal comes closest to the vibe of the real oud oils. The attars of Agar Aura were also quite popular both the sales lady and gentleman were liking the chocolate-y boozey aromas.

At Le Parfum, Mr. Zólyomi, the owner, who is a perfumer himself, was just having a consulting session with a client, presenting her several perfumes, so it was not the proper time for me to interrupt.

At Madison, where the Head of Communication was present at the store, he also liked the idea, to test oud mixtures (mukhallats) and pure oud oils, he knew about the oud documentary of Al Jazeera, https://interactive.aljazeera.com/aj...ven-watch.html and was kind enough to share with me the photos he made of the samples in the store. He told they carry the fragrances with ouds but with the perfume houses being more European, like Boadicea the Victorious, Clive Christian, Roja Dove, Frédéric Malle they follow more the European school and keep the oud more tamed, closer to the Western taste. In his opinion, the closest to those pure ouds was Frédéric Malle the Night.

Anyhow at both places they confirmed, that it was the first time ever, a client has brought them pure oud oils for sniffing and comparison purposes, at Madison he elaborated that their clients are anyhow just after "oud", style, phantasy, impression, image, accord, whatever you name it on the intellectual realm, they never go into this depth and want to know this exactly.

Since Agar Aura, and Rising Phoenix as artisanal distillers offer their oud oils in the 2,5-3 ml range, the samples come in 0,15-0,3 ml, it is easy to do the maths, how genuine Dehn al Oudh distilled from wild trees can not be found in any commercial Parfum, EDP, EDT since its very limited supply would not match the demand of 50-100 ml bottles produced by the thousands daily. See example of Amouage, a niche perfume house that produces 2500-3000 bottles/day which capacity can go up to 10.000/day if needed. Source:https://banizeus.wordpress.com/2013/...asure-amouage/

Genuine Oud perfumes come from plantation oud I guess, mixed and covered with other more accessible ingredients.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HTom; 23rd July 2017 at 07:46 PM. Reason: OK

...why going back to 2010 while there is a more recent thread on this subject...? http://www.basenotes.net/threads/439...st-oud-for-men
    Currently wearing: Individuel by Montblanc

Yes!

Does anyone know this fragrance? It's my favorite in oud style.

Last edited by Paradeiserl; 14th July 2017 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradeiserl View Post
    Does anyone know this fragrance? It's my favorite in oud style.

No familiar with it but you've gotten me interested. I've had good success with other Pal Zilieri fragrances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Burn chips as reference.
    Oud oils vary. and have layers of Flavour ethereal
    Oud based Attars offer intrigue.
    Oud perfumes that I enjoy.
    Diptyque Oud Palao which uses Laotian Oud and a Synthetic to produce something similar to a Stinky oil or attar softened with a gentle rose.
    Ex Idolo Thirty Three which uses a mild oud to what isessentially a Rose perfume.
    Leather Oud which uses Synthetic enhancer and mimics a Stinky oud oil.
    Oud Isaphan which is a slightly more refined Oud Palao.

Another set that use the finer ethereal elements of oud to produce elegant fragrance.
    Fragrance du Bois Sahraa Oud
    MFK Oud Series
    TDC Oud Shamash
    Heeley Agarwood
    Dusita Oud Infini
    Last edited by purecaramel; 14th July 2017 at 04:43 PM.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Alexandria II by Xerjoff
    and
    Songe d'un Bois d'Ete by Guerlain
    are my favourites. I also love:
    Royal Oud by Creed
    and
    Dark Aoud by Montale
    “You must have a perfume. A perfume is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?” Oscar Wilde

Aramani Royal Oud is good

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

On my journey with oud, I have come a long way, and the favorites that I currently hold would have, and did repulse me when I was first heavily exploring Oud. I post this in hopes that it might provide a guidepost for those interested in exploring oud.
    This is what I might say:

The first best place to start might be Versace Oud Noir: before you get judgemental on a designer such as Versace doing Oud: hear me out.
    VON is a slightly lighter version of Tom Ford's Oud Wood, which makes it a little easier to endure if Oud is foreign to you.

It's a very woody fragrance, which hides most of the more challenging aspects of Oud behind spicy woods, which make it easy to begin abstracting the element that is Oud in a safe place, where you might to be enjoying some of the essential qualities found therein.

From here, you can move on to the Tom Ford if you'd like, which essentially is a slightly heavier version with his signature creamy basenotes that might make it a tad fuller, but probably won't give you any great new insights.

From here, it is perhaps best to try the more sweetened and westernized ouds: M7 and MFK Oud are the best to try here: M7 first, for it is a lot less oudy, and a lot more in tune with the amber and citrus-y notes, which give it a candied quality that only is rivaled by the Kurkdjian creation, which is far more Oud-centric, and less syrupy, but also uses Safron and Elemi to make the sweet qualities more spicy, and a little closer leaning to an Eastern creation overall. Ultimately the oud is more classically structured here as well, which makes it the more complex as far as the oud is concerned.
    From here the next two steps in the easier aspects of oud might be the smokey/rubbery accords associated therein, as well as the refined ouds that are oft paired with Rose.

As far as the smokey ouds go, we might as well return to Tom Ford in speaking to his work: London, which maintains a rubbery oud paired with incense, cumin, birch tar, and a slew of other spices. This one is worth exploring, for it starts to give you a hint as far as the animalic qualities that oud will take on in some works we are to explore later, which is primarily thanks to its rubbery quality working hand in hand with the cumin. This one is considered by many too smokey to wear, so it is perhaps worth using a sample at home when you are alone by yourself if you feel uncomfortable working with such a beast.

The other smokey oud, that is more difficult to wear is that of MFK's Oud Cashmere Wood, which utilizes benzoin and labdanum to create a creamy, smokey, and slightly sweet base to settle the rubbery accord of the oud in, and it ultimately comes off a lot more dry than in previous works explored: bringing to mind images of saunas in a rich Eastern town, or teas left to burn with dark spices creating thick, pungent smoke. This one is quite nuclear and hard to work with if unprepared to do a great deal of work to find the beauty.
    Rose and oud is a classic combination which takes more digestible forms such as Kilian's Rose Oud which is subdued oud with luscious rose that creates a very regal entry into the genre. Here I am partial to the more oud-centric Oud Ispahan from Dior, which uses minimal labdanum, sandalwood and patchouli in the base to create a very 'dior' creamy quality that remains minimal so as to focus on the oud and rose.

As for the Eastern entries into this genre (of which they are the kings) both the Royal Blend by Abdul Samad Al Qurashi and the Ajmal creation Dahn Oudh Al Shams. Both of these are more intensive ouds, which can begin to create animalic qualities, but ultimately generate qualities which speak to the notions of regal, sensual, power and elegance. This is perhaps more true of the ASAQ, which is one of the pinnacles of Eastern ouds that I have experienced, and honestly for me is a safe blind buy once determining oud is something you enjoy. The Ajmal is likewise incredible quality, but less complex and elegant, and perhaps more directly focused on oud as the primary ingredient, and one which gets more animalic in its composition.

Now from here, you have two avenues that might prove useful into exploring the more volatile elements of Oud: Blue Cheese, or Barnyard.
    For me, the blue cheese element is easier to withstand, but proves less enjoyable once fully understanding it: Faqat lil Rijal by Rasasi is a nice, cheaper entry point here. The oud is roughly paired with leather, but the creaminess of the patchouli, and the spices like rice, saffron, and geranium tone it down a little, and really give a nice experience overall, once the blue cheese is able to be overcome.

The next step in the blue cheese category is Indonesian Oud by Ermenegildo Zegna: This is a lot more simple and straightforward: Oud, rose, amber, patchouli: we all know how this goes. The blue cheese element is still here, but it has been refined a great deal more, and offers the blue cheese aspect of the oud with that more resonant with the Oud in the Tom Ford found prior. Ultimately this is the best 'cheesy' oud I have found so far, and enjoyed it quite a bit, but ultimately found that this element of oud was not well with me.

Lastly, we come to the animalic quality of oud, which can more often than not be read as, for lack of a better word, 'horse manure' wherein the oud smells fecal, more often than not when paired with a leather of sorts, which causes the quality to reflect the textures of leather while retaining a fecal element, and ultimately is why the term 'barnyard' gets thrown around a lot when it comes to these creations: leather and poo.

The easier to get along with of the two I have decided to speak on is shockingly from the house of Guerlain, where we find the masterwork "Songe d'un Bois d'Ete." Now a lot of folks suggest that there is no oud in this fragrance at all, in fact it isn't listed in the official list from the house - but even if that is the case, this work exemplifies a lot of the qualities associated with the more challenging and fecal oud we will approach in just a minute, and as such it's worth exploring. Now this work is one which speaks greatly to leather, and indeed the leather is complex and challenging with Jasmine, Patchouli, Saffron, and Myrrh there to spice things up quite a bit - the work is smokey, and 'oudy' to my nose. The notes don't speak to a cumin note, although I think it is very obviously there, shouting at the forefront, which is obviously very tough for most folks to deal with, and with the smokey and animalic qualities of the oud and leather underneath, this is a lot to take in. It can be described as BO-ish, slightly barnyard, sweaty, and sexual. This is the reason that the animalic qualities are more easily taken in here, for not only are all the other notes there to keep it in balance, (pardon my crassness) but the sexual nature makes it more 'ass'ish during the course of sexual contact, than it is directly poop-ish. The patchouli and Jasmine add a creamy quality underneath, and the myrrh adds a dry, smokey, and ever so slightly sweet quality that simply help to balance out the animalic oud.

Finally Dior's Leather Oud takes its place in the spotlight, as there are a great deal of folks calling for it at this point in the journey, claiming it as king. The leather here is the raw and mangled leather of Killian's Royal Leather minus the smooth and smokey qualities, and they are paired with an Oud that, while maintaining a regal quality, is as animalic as any oud we have smelled thus far. The Oud is slightly honeyed, and met with a charred quality ever so slightly present from the woods that are underneath. There is a quality which evokes civet here, and a muskiness that combine to make this fecal quality more in line with a barnyard than that of the Guerlain, and this quality takes itself to great lengths staying with the entire lifespan of the fragrance, changing only ever so slightly throughout the work itself, but remaining dry, woody, and leathery all throughout while retaining a somewhat waxy quality throughout its lifespan.

Lastly, there is Oudh Infini by Parfums Dusita which combines the cheese quality with that animalic edge to bring the most difficult to bear oud I have yet to smell, but ultimately choosing to remain in the classical structure alongside rose, which is plentiful in its attempt to tone down, or at least add some other place for the nose to wander, in contrast from that violent and audacious leathery, animalic oud. The blue cheese quality smells as if it has both at the same time dried out for thousands of years, while at the same time being taken straight from the animal itself to be cured! There is benzoin and vanilla hiding in the very bottom of this fragrance, but beyond the civet and the oud, of course it is hard to see much of anything, other than the incredibly rich rose, which I wouldn't blame anyone for looking past, if they have yet to uncover an oud this bizarre (which, of course they haven't.)
    Last edited by Shadowartisttxl; 18th July 2017 at 05:51 PM.