Code of Conduct

Default Blind bought Kouros ! And I love it .

As the title says I blind bought Kouros after reading reviews here on Basenotes . First time when I tried it I wasn't impressed of it , actually I was quite disappointed , the smell was offending me . Second time it got better but I was still a bit sad about blind buying this . I didn't gave up and tried it several times and after 4-5 wearings I understood Kouros ; what a great fragrance - very clean , yet a bit dirty , creamy , kind of sweet . I find it a easy-to-wear fragrance , not offending at all , as I said it's very clean and that's why I'm wearing this to college . It's winter now but I still love this , even in the cold weather and I can't wait to wear Kouros in the summer .

A lot of people here on BN are saying that Kouros smells dirty , unclean like a public bathroom , urinal cake bla bla bla . Well , I think they should try this again and again and again because this fragrance needs time to be appreciated .

I have two questions for you guys : 1.) What's up with the sillage ? After about 6 hours I can barely smell Kouros on me - probably it's my nose getting turned off in the first hours by the powerful sillage . Do you think others can still smell it or do you received any compliments after more than 6 hours ?
    2.) Do you have any other recommendations ( non-niche fragrances ) for me if I like Kouros , Givenchy Gentleman , M7 - I like manlier scents the most , the heavy ones . Should I try Gucci Envy or YSL Rive Gauche ; what do you think ? Any recommendations ?

Thank you !

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Blind bought Kouros ! And I love it .

Welcome to BaseNotes, Alain27.

1) Believe me, the sillage of Kouros is still there, even 6 hours after. It may be subdued to you, but others can still smell it, less than subtly.

2) It would be easier to recommend scents to you if one knows your own definition of "manlier". However, you could go to the Directory and do a search of male frags released say from 1970 upwards. That will take you though the power-scents era in which Kouros and Givenchy Gentleman belong. There is quite a lot of choice.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Kouros is king. Check this out...

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/224...t=#post1504967
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Don't worry about the sillage because it is definitely still there and noticeable. For me the sillage just after the 1-2 hour mark is perfect for me. If the Kouros sillage were to be the same from start to finish I'll be scared to wear it

Givenchy Gentleman would be a good bet if u like Kouros.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Oh..yess!! do try Rive Gauche PH, it's amazing!!! Also, Yes, Kouros does last a good 12 hours on me, once that initial dry-down begins I get a woody/soapy musk that emanates profusely!! it's wonderfully clean in my opinion, only conveys dirty notes for the first hour or so!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Blog Entries

I blind-bought Kouros as well, way back into my exploration of fragrance, and it worked out pretty well. If you like it I'd recommend Zino Davidoff and Quorum by Puig.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

I love Kouros as well - some call it the white devil I too was repulsed the first time I smelled it. It was much different on my skin. I only use one spray to the chest - even 2 sprays can be a bit much.
    I find some similarity to Paco Rabanne pour homme - it was quite sharp the first time I smelled it. On the skin it mellows into something wonderful. One spray for that one too.
    I had Rive Gauche, but couldn't get into it. I really like Brut and Pinaud, but there is something too bitter in the RG for me.
    BTW - all three I mentioned are fougeres - I found out after much sniffin, blind buys and wearings that I really favor fougeres (at this point anyway).

enjoy!

Edit: I also really like Santos too - which has been credited as a fougere. For Santos, 1-2 sprays. Really like that one - wear it a lot to work.
    Last edited by marcuccio88; 13th February 2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: omission - lidentified as edit in post

Quote Originally Posted by Alain27 View Post
    It's winter now but I still love this , even in the cold weather and I can't wait to wear Kouros in the summer .
    I think it's heaps better in summer than in winter. For me, it's just too fresh for winter.
    Renato

I'm very impressed with Rive Gauche PH. I have a collection with some pretty pricey stuff, and it is a constant in my rotation. Can't believe what a magnificent scent that is and so reasonably priced to boot.

Between RGPH and Kouros, I'm amazed at the longevity of YSL. None of the other designer frags come close to their longevity (and quality) on me.

Kouros is amazing. I did a 180 on it. I think there is a tendency by many of us when starting out to make snap judgements on frags based on in store card spray opening notes. I walked away from Kouros horrified at first due that harsh opening.

One thing that impresses me about Kouros is how so many people seem to want to like it, often sampling it multiple times in an effort to "get it". Love it or hate it, simply the commitment people make to try and understand Kouros is a testament to this brilliant scent.

I didn't need any convincing because Kouros was love at first sniff for me 16 years ago.

If you like Kouros, then you almost certainly will like other macho man brews like Quorum and Lapidus Pour Homme. They are very easily available and inexpensive.

Great news about your Kouros purchase. Now pound your chest and do the Tarzan yell!

You might also like Yatagan/Caron and Esencia de Loewe.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

I recently blind bought Kouros and I had the exact same list of reactions/questions. I'm proud to wear such a ballsy frag now.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Great Choice, Good for you

Dependent

I think you deserve some credit for deciding to give a fragrance some time before totally banishing it.

Regarding sillage, my bet is that it is still lingering even after 6 hours in, but your best confirmation will come from those around you, so do ask them as well!

I agree with the Yatagan suggestion.

Not very similar, but you may like to sample Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui... I offloaded mine recently because it just didn't work well with me after a number of wears.

1.) I asked a friend if she can smell something on me , after 8 hours , and her answer was "no" . Now I'm kind of dissapointed about the longevity and sillage of Kouros . I'll try using some moisturising cream , as spraying more Kouros is not a solution .

2.) Thank you guys for the recommendations . I'll see what I can sample .

Kouros is a sillage/longevity monster

I was repulsed when I first tried Kouros. I tried it a few times and now I love it. I just read the negative comments in the review section and now I am overly conscious about wearing it when I go out as I might offend people. The smell has been referred to as cat pee in a bottle to semen to the vilest of all scents.

Should I never wear this if I take the bus, train or plane?

Quote Originally Posted by cannotavoidtrite View Post
    I was repulsed when I first tried Kouros. I tried it a few times and now I love it. I just read the negative comments in the review section and now I am overly conscious about wearing it when I go out as I might offend people. The smell has been referred to as cat pee in a bottle to semen to the vilest of all scents.

Should I never wear this if I take the bus, train or plane?
    Personally I would think twice about wearing Kouros when taking the bus, train or plane. However I think it could work but you will need to let Kouros settle down for an hour or 2 before heading out. Then it should be fine, unless u go overboard with the no. sprays LOL.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

I like it a lot, and once it's settled in it's not so horrible really. But it is very strong and like many potent scents, Angel for example, I wouldn't want to wear it when people are "trapped" with me.

I tend to think most of grousing over Kouros really involves it's strong, civet laden open. I think many people spray some on a card, smell the civet, declare it to smell like cat pee or urinal cakes, and never try it again.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 26th February 2010 at 06:25 PM.

Congratulations on your fine choice.