Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default YSL have castrated M7 with Oud Absolu

I was in John Lewis in Oxford Street yesterday and I noticed YSL's new batch of "classics" which they have repackaged.

The first thing I noticed was how they have reformulated many of the classic fragrances.

For a start the original YSL pour Homme (the lemony one) has been completely amped up. Not so much in the lemon department but across the board with much stronger heart and basenotes, this one actually lasts more than an hour. Having said that, it's much more redolent of Chanel Pour Monsieur now.

What shocked me was what they have done to M7. Now I did have M7 for a while but couldn't live through the dense cough mixture phase.

I thought I'd refresh my memory of the fragrance to see if my opinions have changed any.

Well I won't know with this new version. What used to be a dense, dark, sometimes poisonous fragrance to the nose is now a far lighter take on it, it's been completely emasculated. It's lighter, less oud-y and the longevity is shocking compared to the original.

I didn't particularly like the original, but that's just like saying you don't particularly like a tiger that is trying to chew your leg off, but it doesn't mean you want the tiger to have it's own legs cut off.

It makes me nostalgic for the original and am thinking of buying a bottle just so I can remember what this innovative if not always palatable original smelt like.

If they are going to "re-release" things, then they should at least not bugger around with the smell!
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: YSL have castrated M7 with Oud Absolu

Too bad... I still think the original M7 was brilliant and it is one I wear with some regularity. I am glad I have a bottle from 2001 and a back up bottle from 2002. Sad that the new version is a shadow of its former self. Maybe someday they will release the original version again calling it "Classic" or something and charge twice as much.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see that much difference between the original and the reform. Outside of the bombastic cherry cough syrup opening of the original, the reform is pretty much 95% of the original.

Edit: I thought you were talking about the original vs the reformulation of M7. Yeah the Absolu version has different notes so I imagine it would be different.
    Last edited by silentrich; 7th December 2011 at 08:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Original M7 had an strong opening IMO compared to the first reformulation. Both were equal regarding to longevity though.
    This re-reformulation as 'Le collection' in 80 ml size instead 100 ml but at the same price, offers a poor opening and a watered down juice. So ... I have got a pair of backups for the rest of my life. M7 has died out.

M7 'la collection' is not M7, it is something that remotely reminds what M7 used to be.
    You pay what you used to pay for 100 ml of a Masterpiece and now you get 80 ml of... what?

Good job, L'Oreal!!!!

OFFTOPIC
    I am an YVRESSE user also 'reformulated' in this 'Collection' and I cried when I tested this one.

Hmm. I really enjoy the opening of M7. In fact I think that is my favorite part. Like the rest of the fragrance too, but remember liking that first 30 minutes very much.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post

What shocked me was what they have done to M7. Now I did have M7 for a while but couldn't live through the dense cough mixture phase.

Well I won't know with this new version. What used to be a dense, dark, sometimes poisonous fragrance to the nose is now a far lighter take on it, it's been completely emasculated. It's lighter, less oud-y and the longevity is shocking compared to the original.

If they are going to "re-release" things, then they should at least not bugger around with the smell!
    I disagree.

To my nose the re-release is the same as the recent (last 24 months or so) reformulation - same drydown without the big cherry blast of an opening

Quote Originally Posted by Lorna_May View Post
    Original M7 had an strong opening IMO compared to the first reformulation. Both were equal regarding to longevity though.
    This re-reformulation as 'Le collection' in 80 ml size instead 100 ml but at the same price, offers a poor opening and a watered down juice. So ... I have got a pair of backups for the rest of my life. M7 has died out.

M7 'la collection' is not M7, it is something that remotely reminds what M7 used to be.
    You pay what you used to pay for 100 ml of a Masterpiece and now you get 80 ml of... what?

Good job, L'Oreal!!!!

OFFTOPIC
    I am an YVRESSE user also 'reformulated' in this 'Collection' and I cried when I tested this one.
    I think you share my thoughts almost exactly. This isn't M7 it's a chimera.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

This doesn't surprise me. I will try it if I ever see it, but won't be rushing to do so.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I thought I'd refresh my memory of the fragrance to see if my opinions have changed any.

I didn't particularly like the original, but that's just like saying you don't particularly like a tiger that is trying to chew your leg off, but it doesn't mean you want the tiger to have it's own legs cut off.
    That's unfortunate for sure. In that case I'm glad I own the original.

Post Thanks / Like

So you don't want to pay more for 80ml of a watered down version of this classic?

Well, email YSL about that and they'll tell you this is "evolution". Their fragrances ara adapting to their costumers tastes and trendy way of life.

I've already got over it. I'll enjoy my bottle of M7 and when it's over i'll pass on and i'll get another frag I like. There are many. YSL won't get me worried or something, I won't support price increases these hard times...
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Im glad I got a bottle of the original formulation.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTheBeginner View Post
    I disagree.

To my nose the re-release is the same as the recent (last 24 months or so) reformulation - same drydown without the big cherry blast of an opening
    + 1

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I thought they'd have the balls to make it stronger and show all those niche wusses what a real synthetic oud smells like. Too bad, perfumery seems to be entropically approaching water.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    ...perfumery seems to be entropically approaching water.
    Homeopatic perfumery?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Man, I thought they'd have the balls to make it stronger and show all those niche wusses what a real synthetic oud smells like. Too bad, perfumery seems to be entropically approaching water.
    I too hoped for an amped up M7 on steroids - oh well more mediocrity......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Homeopatic perfumery?
    LOL! My thoughts exactly!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The OP makes many salient points. I bought M7 in the original because it was brilliant, off-balance, transformational, - all those rock-my-world things. I did not wear it often, but wanted it as a reference point for what fragrance can be. I knew this was going to happen, I just knew it! L'Oreal's standard of survival for a product is to dumb it down until it's "acceptable".

Btw, I did loooove the French version of M7's original ad campaign! The uncut version, need I say more.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

So, it sounds like even if I hated M7 the original (which I do) I wouldn't like the new one?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone else smell a similarity between M7 and Nasomatto's Pardon?

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

I sniffed the new one on a recent trip to Paris and thought it smelled very nice. If the original didn't exist, this would be a solid release.

I picked up a couple of bottles of the vintage after that and I'm glad I did so. Cheaper and better. It's pretty misleading to put "absolu" in the name of the new version.

Post Thanks / Like

v1 is great, v2 is tamed, v3 is even crappier.
    did a v1 versus v3 in a store last week. the SA (who at first said they were the same) couldn't believe the difference.
    too bad they didn't have a full bottle of v1 anymore. just the tester was left.
    >> minus a lot for YSL...

i'll just burn though my v2 bottle and won't get another one i guess.
    enough other good stuff out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cylob View Post
    v1 is great, v2 is tamed, v3 is even crappier.
    if you say that about v3 , consequently you assume v2 is crap?
    Last edited by blackened; 10th December 2011 at 07:53 PM.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    if yoy say that about v3 , consequently you assume v2 is crap?
    v2 is not crap, but it's not as strong as v1. I had been testing v1 and really loved it.
    But the v2 I have now, just isn't as potent as v1 was.
    I had been reading they're almost the same, but to my nose v2 smells watered down.
    Still a great fragrance though... Can't say the same of v3, which is a shame.

Post Thanks / Like

v2 watered down?
    v2 is great and strong enough IMO. (and That is something on which many friends of mine (and owners of v2) agree.

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Post Thanks / Like

Compared to the v1 I've tested it really feels like it, yeah.
    Maybe I've been unlucky with a batch that's less potent.
    I'll try and get my hands on an original bottle later on.
    And will test v2 again in a store to see if there's any difference.
    But I'll stay away from v3, that's for sure!

Post Thanks / Like

How can I know , when trying to but M7 @store , if the bottle is V1 V2 or v3 ?

Post Thanks / Like

@ace11

V1: red on each side of the bottle (no transparent sides)
    V2: red on only one side of the bottle (all other sides are transparent)
    V3: square bottle with Oud Absolu label

=V1

=V2

=V3

Post Thanks / Like

@Cylob

Thank you !!

Post Thanks / Like

"Dense, dark, and sometimes poisonous" is a great way to describe the vintage formula of M7, which actually does contain real mandrake root extract.

I actually like the vintage and the reformulation, but am scared to try this "M7 Oud Absolu", as I trust your scathing critique of it is true.

Post Thanks / Like

today I had a full wearing with the new M7 Oud absolu and I didn´t find significant differences with respect to the first reformulation. The smell is very similar if not identical, If you want : a little bit more restrained , but the differences were very insignificant.
    The new rive gauche on paper also smell very similar to older formulations.

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Post Thanks / Like

How this version projects comparing the 1st formulation?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how projects the 1st formulation but this new version projects very well , you can feel it perfectly and last for hours.
    I sprayed at 15:00 h. , now It´s 20:00 and I can still feel it perfectly.

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I hate to hear that this has been reformulated and not in a good way!!!
    Gary

Moschus

The first formulation was amazing, the lucky perfumista who is still on the V1 M7 in the amber bottle, will be agree with me. Morillas and Cavallier have joined together to create this wonderful fragrance in 2002 and today it seeks to replace with the bad reformulation M7-Oud Absolu, an M7 in which the OUD notes is perhaps less intense than before of which lack the complexity of mysterious notes indicated the first formulation as the mandrake root, originally indicated by the YSL's site. I came across many perfumes complicated, and I must admit that this is one of the most enigmatic and perhaps the most mysterious of all. I mean even known chemical, but I identify something I'm missing a lot, in the M7 vintage V1. The V2 was certainly a bad dilution and OUD absolu v3 can be said to be better than V2. But as V1 there is none. Try to buy the vintage version, if possible to find...
    Last edited by Moschus; 13th December 2011 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    "Dense, dark, and sometimes poisonous" is a great way to describe the vintage formula of M7, which actually does contain real mandrake root extract.

I actually like the vintage and the reformulation, but am scared to try this "M7 Oud Absolu", as I trust your scathing critique of it is true.
    Dullah, you know me well enough to know I don't write this kind of stuff lightly. Oud Absolu is an insult to the original - granted an orginal I didn't particularly like, but it's honestly a shocking insult to what at the time was a groundbreaking fragrance.

I compared v2 to v3: v3 smells better, has better longevity and is not as sweet as v2.
    Perfect for me.

The year is 2007, somewhere in France at L'Oreal's YSL Bootlegging Shack:

Junior: Hey, Pa'! We's got no mo' of those red bottles for our "improved" (wink, wink) M7 juice!

Pa: Ain't that a darn shame! Whe's got t'find sum'thing else, ain'it?

Junior: Wait a minute, aunt Luise just disposed a whole bunch of her Miracle Cough Syrup, and them bottles look just the same, except for that darn colour!

Pa: I'll be damned, this boy 'z got some wits in'him, afterall! As for the colour well just stick sum'thing red inside the bottle, them suckers won't know a thing!

Junior: And as for the cough syrup smell, well, them folks who used it said it smelled jus'like that after all!

Everyone: EEEEH AAW!

Pa: An' wait, if them folks don'like it we'll just stick that stuff on cubes like the ones we keep our fishing maggots in!!! Eeeh, Aaaaw!!!

7ScentsofHell gets the 'funniest post of the morning' award.

Quote Originally Posted by Merely View Post
    7ScentsofHell gets the 'funniest post of the morning' award.
    Thanks a lot, glad you enjoyed it!
    Sad i was one of those who "bought un' o those cough-syrup-with-moonshine-bottled-in-sum'thing-with-a-red-sticker" but i didnt fell for those "darn cubes"... One mistake was enough!

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it today. There is nothing M7, Oud or Absolu about this fragrance. What a disaster.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

After now owning and wearing all 3 versions....I like them all.

v1- the strongest, but not by as much as the sensationalists say. Very dark and "rooty", also the most bitter, most "cough syrupy", and "most poisonous" of the 3, for sure.

v2 - everything in V1 except the deep, dank, moist, rooty/earthy aspect, and a bit less cough syrup. Smells cleaner and sweeter due to the lack of this particular dark, bitter, poisonous note. The benzoin comes thru more in the drydown. the most "stick incense" of the lot.

Absolu - the most "Niche"/"Comme Des Garcons smelling", most woody and least "cough syrupy" of the 3.....perhaps the weakest, but they're all very close in strength and longevity.

And let's not forget that M7 Fresh is actually a really unique, strong fresh scent in it's own right.

Basenotes Junkie Profumo Saggio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading this thread almost made me de-activate my account. I've read a lot of the Creed bashing threads, many of the "this fragrance isn't what it used to be" threads and the like, but damn, you are (almost) all so full of yourselves and your oh so unassailable opinions of all that is M7. You know what, if you don't like it, don't buy it. I'm not a fan of what regulation or corporate buy-out has done to some of my favorite fragrances, but I do not take these as a personal attack on my right to own a fragrance as I wish it would always exist. Change is a bitch to some, a mistress to others, which it is to you depends on your ability to let go your death grip on the past.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Post Thanks / Like

After now owning and wearing all 3 versions....I like them all.

v1- the strongest, but not by as much as the sensationalists say. Very dark and "rooty", also the most bitter, most "cough syrupy", and "most poisonous" of the 3, for sure.

v2 - everything in V1 except the deep, dank, moist, rooty/earthy aspect, and a bit less cough syrup. Smells cleaner and sweeter due to the lack of this particular dark, bitter, poisonous note. The benzoin comes thru more in the drydown. the most "stick incense" of the lot.

Absolu - the most "Niche"/"Comme Des Garcons smelling", most woody and least "cough syrupy" of the 3.....perhaps the weakest, but they're all very close in strength and longevity.

And let's not forget that M7 Fresh is actually a really unique, strong fresh scent in it's own right.

fabulous explanation!!

PS. I subscribe it word for word

I dont think these 2 fragrances must be compared with each other as the notes are totally different.As this new fragrance carries the name M7 people are getting emotional and have started making comparisons with vintage M7. M7 has always been associated with strong oud smell. I guess the company YSL should rather change the name of new
    fragrance(that doesnt include M7) which is much more appropriate.

Post Thanks / Like

I have all 3 versions of M7 and I like all 3 versions. The vintage and first reform smell very similar. Oud Absolu is a more modern, gentlemanly version of M7. It's not medicinal in the opening, nor is is as loud. Whereas the vintage is He-Man in leopard print tights, Oud Absolu is Don Draper in a grey business suit...maybe not as wild, but certainly classier. It dries down very similarly to the vintage.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Post Thanks / Like

I have the original (all brown) version, which I love. But I really like the modern one too (I haven't tried the one in between). When I first sampled the new one I couldn't tell much difference from an in-store spraying, but checking it again I find it a bit drier and a bit woodier than the original. V1 is still the best, but I could happily use Oud Absolute too.
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've only tried the new one, i loved it, and don't feel like i am missing out by not having tried the original and unassailably wonderful M7. What you never had, you don't miss.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I completely disagree with the OP on this.

First off, it's not a reformulation, but a flanker. Just because the original didn't sell well enough to merit current production does not make Oud Absolu a reformulation. OA has different accords and is different conceptually.

Secondly, I subjectively prefer OA to M7. M7 has a huge, very sweet amber accord. It smells good in the beginning when mixed with the bitter mandrake and top accords. But during the drydown, there's a phase when it's almost all vanilla. Cloying to me. OA stays dry and woody in the drydown and I like that a lot better.

Post Thanks / Like

Wore this today. Lasted around 8 hours on my skin with low to moderate projection. Anyone else getting a morning breath vibe from its opening-middle stages?

I've just found what looks like the Vintage for sale in the UK

http://www.perfume4u.co.uk/acatalog/...aurent_M7.html

Get it while you can

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    today I had a full wearing with the new M7 Oud absolu and I didn´t find significant differences with respect to the first reformulation. The smell is very similar if not identical, If you want : a little bit more restrained , but the differences were very insignificant.
    The new rive gauche on paper also smell very similar to older formulations.
    +1 I would go further and state that M7 Oud Absolu smells almost exactly like the original. Rive Gauche is identical. It's all a big marketing con.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    +1 I would go further and state that M7 Oud Absolu smells almost exactly like the original.
    I think you are flat-out wrong. If you don't believe me, spray each arm with each. They start out similar. Six hours later, smell again. One is dry, resinous and woody (OA) and the other is very sweet, rich, and thick (original). Very, very different in the base accord.

Don't judge a book by its cover, and don't judge a perfume by its top notes.

Post Thanks / Like

Oud Absolu is a diluted version of the original formulation of M7. It's not even close when compared to the original's strength, smoothness, development, and longevity.

Went through two or three bottles of the original stuff. Smooth and sexy shit.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like

I like it. Not as much as vintage, but I like it. It boils down to I paid $57 for OA, Vintage now costs $139 locally.

Post Thanks / Like

$100+ for a 100 ml vintage M7 is worth it, IMO. It's better than most, if not all, of the recent niche oud releases.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnnycoombes View Post
    I've just found what looks like the Vintage for sale in the UK

http://www.perfume4u.co.uk/acatalog/...aurent_M7.html

Get it while you can
    It's a trap. First of all: Only 80ml? WTF. Secondly, that is a stock picture of the vintage style bottle, so it doesn't necessarily mean it's the real deal. Third: 80ml???
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    It's a trap. First of all: Only 80ml? WTF. Secondly, that is a stock picture of the vintage style bottle, so it doesn't necessarily mean it's the real deal. Third: 80ml???
    Agree. Surely they're actually selling OA if 80ml is listed. Sellers use outdated photos a lot, and not always completely by accident. I bet if you wrote them an email they'd correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    I think you are flat-out wrong. If you don't believe me, spray each arm with each. They start out similar. Six hours later, smell again. One is dry, resinous and woody (OA) and the other is very sweet, rich, and thick (original). Very, very different in the base accord.

Don't judge a book by its cover, and don't judge a perfume by its top notes.
    Top notes - six hours? That's practically the whole fragrance isn't it?

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Top notes - six hours? That's practically the whole fragrance isn't it?
    1) These last 12+ hours for me, so that's about the halfway point
    2) They are different the whole way through because the basenotes differ and are detectable from the start. Because you claimed not to be able to detect the difference, I mentioned the point in time where their differences are most obvious.
    3) The top notes between M7 and M7OA are the most similar, then they begin diverging from there. The first six hours include all the top and heart notes of course.