Code of Conduct

Default Dior Homme Intense - what a buy!

I recently got into fragrances and prior to that I was using cheap fragrances (just for the sake of it). I made a topic here and asked people on their opinion of 'nights out fragrance', etc. I got samples of many famous fragrances and tried many more in the stores. So as my 'good' fragrance purchase I ended up buying La Nuit de L'homme - I didn't like it that much at first and after some time of using it I didn't fall in love with it either. It's not bad but certainly not something I love.

That being said many people had suggested Dior Homme Intense for such purposes and I, out of curiosity, went to the store and gave it a sniff. "Terrible scent", - I said to myself. Old lady's lipstick, powdery and really not something I'd like to wear. Some time passed by though and I for some reason wanted to give it another try. Probably because of the hype around it or perhaps the great looking bottle. I think it's indeed very classy and the bottle means a lot to me. For instance - I would never consider buying something like La Male just because I find the bottle ugly. So... this time I sniffed DHI - it was again just lipstick but after the scent settled down it was a bit more pleasant and not so much lipstick. I again didn't fall in love with but I had that feeling that I should buy it and I did.

Now I've had it for about a week and... I'm in love with it! Now I think the scent, once the initial blast of lipstick fades out, is very warm and pleasant and I'm happy to smell it all the time. I've always had problems with longevity and projection on my skin - fragrances rarely stick around for long. For example if I get 3 sprays from La Nuit De L'Homme after 2 hours I wouldn't be able to smell it from myself and I don't know if it's an olfactory fatigue or just the scent goes very close to the skin after that time. With DHI on the other hand... with 2 light sprays I can sense the fragrance on myself even after 6 hours which is huge for me. After that it stays close to the skin for like... forever? So with La Nuit after about 2 hours I'm not sure if I still smell of it while with DHI even after 5-6 hour I'm 100% sure I smell of it and that people around me should be able to notice it.

As for compliments - I haven't got any but I really haven't been in a situation that it would've been appropriate for someone to compliment my fragrance yet. And given that I love the scent very much I just want other people to smell it and hopefully like it and a compliment from someone (preferably a woman) will mean a lot as an approval of my choice and will make me love DHI even more so... I'm looking forward to this moment!

Scent - as I said after the initial blast of lipstick(which is not that bad but still..) I love the scent - it's very pleasant, very strong yet inoffensive. Smells great on clothes as well and probably lasts forever on them. Definitely an evening fragrance for me but I find myself wearing it lightly during the day as well - just can't get enough of it yet.

Being feminine - it's a masculine fragrance to me but definitely close to the feminine side of masculinity. Which is not a bad thing IMO. I'm straight but I'm not the macho looking type of a man - I have a lighter skin, blue eyes, light beard, etc, so... people wouldn't expect me to smell like petrol. Thus DHI will fit great with official/semi-official clothes and manly presence but again not macho manly but more of a playful and still confident manly presence.

In conclusion - It's a great fragrance. With great longevity. Not sure about its projection yet. Since I bought it I just don't find myself using my La Nuit De L'Homme anymore and I have a 100ml bottle of it which makes me regret buying it...It's definitely not the cheapest fragrance out there so I hope I stop using it all the time. Although I see myself buying a new bottle once I run out of this one.

Sorry for the wall of text but I'm excited about this fragrance and in my circles nobody is that much into fragrances and if I start speaking for fragrances people around me would usually get bored so I wanted to share my excitement with people that would appreciate it and hopefully find it helpful.

Default Re: Dior Homme Intense - what a buy!

It's a great scent and sure to become a classic. It's not something I wear a lot as I much prefer the original Dior Homme but it's extremely popular here and for good reason. Glad you enjoy it.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

I love the opening, so special. Maybe because my grandmas are simple women so I don't get the association.
    And then comes the beautiful drydown after 1-2hours. Impossibru to hate.
    I think Dior Homme is more sophisticated than DHI. I have no problem wearing DHI at daytime.

One of my the most wanted and favorite fragrance all the time. It never failed me and very pleasant vibes of classic perfume. Any day, any time and any where. An all rounder for me with best longevity. Thumbs up for DHI.

Thanks for the extensive description, revealing many of the subtleties and nuances of a complex designer fragrance on its way to become a contemporary classic and deservedly so, considering its so far consistent, rewarding quality
    Currently wearing: 1881 Amber by Cerruti

Dior Homme Intense is a great scent IMO and just takes a little time getting used to. You found that out and now you enjoy it like so many others.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

One of my top 5.
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

Quote Originally Posted by xypoon View Post
    I recently got into fragrances and prior to that I was using cheap fragrances (just for the sake of it). I made a topic here and asked people on their opinion of 'nights out fragrance', etc. I got samples of many famous fragrances and tried many more in the stores. So as my 'good' fragrance purchase I ended up buying La Nuit de L'homme - I didn't like it that much at first and after some time of using it I didn't fall in love with it either. It's not bad but certainly not something I love.

That being said many people had suggested Dior Homme Intense for such purposes and I, out of curiosity, went to the store and gave it a sniff. "Terrible scent", - I said to myself. Old lady's lipstick, powdery and really not something I'd like to wear. Some time passed by though and I for some reason wanted to give it another try. Probably because of the hype around it or perhaps the great looking bottle. I think it's indeed very classy and the bottle means a lot to me. For instance - I would never consider buying something like La Male just because I find the bottle ugly. So... this time I sniffed DHI - it was again just lipstick but after the scent settled down it was a bit more pleasant and not so much lipstick. I again didn't fall in love with but I had that feeling that I should buy it and I did.

Now I've had it for about a week and... I'm in love with it! Now I think the scent, once the initial blast of lipstick fades out, is very warm and pleasant and I'm happy to smell it all the time. I've always had problems with longevity and projection on my skin - fragrances rarely stick around for long. For example if I get 3 sprays from La Nuit De L'Homme after 2 hours I wouldn't be able to smell it from myself and I don't know if it's an olfactory fatigue or just the scent goes very close to the skin after that time. With DHI on the other hand... with 2 light sprays I can sense the fragrance on myself even after 6 hours which is huge for me. After that it stays close to the skin for like... forever? So with La Nuit after about 2 hours I'm not sure if I still smell of it while with DHI even after 5-6 hour I'm 100% sure I smell of it and that people around me should be able to notice it.

As for compliments - I haven't got any but I really haven't been in a situation that it would've been appropriate for someone to compliment my fragrance yet. And given that I love the scent very much I just want other people to smell it and hopefully like it and a compliment from someone (preferably a woman) will mean a lot as an approval of my choice and will make me love DHI even more so... I'm looking forward to this moment!

Scent - as I said after the initial blast of lipstick(which is not that bad but still..) I love the scent - it's very pleasant, very strong yet inoffensive. Smells great on clothes as well and probably lasts forever on them. Definitely an evening fragrance for me but I find myself wearing it lightly during the day as well - just can't get enough of it yet.

Being feminine - it's a masculine fragrance to me but definitely close to the feminine side of masculinity. Which is not a bad thing IMO. I'm straight but I'm not the macho looking type of a man - I have a lighter skin, blue eyes, light beard, etc, so... people wouldn't expect me to smell like petrol. Thus DHI will fit great with official/semi-official clothes and manly presence but again not macho manly but more of a playful and still confident manly presence.

In conclusion - It's a great fragrance. With great longevity. Not sure about its projection yet. Since I bought it I just don't find myself using my La Nuit De L'Homme anymore and I have a 100ml bottle of it which makes me regret buying it...It's definitely not the cheapest fragrance out there so I hope I stop using it all the time. Although I see myself buying a new bottle once I run out of this one.

Sorry for the wall of text but I'm excited about this fragrance and in my circles nobody is that much into fragrances and if I start speaking for fragrances people around me would usually get bored so I wanted to share my excitement with people that would appreciate it and hopefully find it helpful.

Made for great reading- love such stories. Especially when DHI is a darling of mine! Now all you need to do is sell off that bottle of La Nuit. :P

It's great that DHI matches your personality, I think it is important when wearing a fragrance outside the house.
    "just a smile would lighten everything"
    https://soundcloud.com/freewheelingvagabond/tracks

I have an "unexperienced" nose, that was how i got to underestimate and even at a point regret buying DHI. But later on 3 months after i knew how to use it, i knew it wasnt to be used anythime, or any weather. It is a beautiful scent. If you dont find DHI interesting, just give it sometime, then come back to it.
    “You are never fully dressed without a perfume!”

Masterpiece. So is DH

Great post! Really enjoyed reading your thoughts.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I love all three of Dior Homme Intense, La Nuit de L'Homme, and Dior Homme.

Longevity with La Nuit is on par with Dior Homme Intense for me, maybe even better.

Dior Homme I don't own because I prefer the Intense version, and I can only handle so many bottles.
    Top Ten
    1. Chanel Platinum Egoiste, 1993
    2. Dior Homme Intense, 2007
    3. Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche, 2008
    4. Dior Fahrenheit, 1988
    5. Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme, 2012
    6. Chanel Coromandel, 2007
    7. Chanel Allure Homme, 1999
    8. Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de l'Homme, 2009
    9. Chanel Allure Homme Sport, 2004
    10. Chanel Antaeus, 1981

Far too feminine for me, I always prefer to reach out for my bottle of dior homme sport.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

whatever you do DO NOT BUY the june 2012 batch.

Lol so specific. What's wrong with that one?