Code of Conduct

Default Knize 10 pronunciation: German or Austrian basenoter help?

I note in U.S. we tend to pronounce Knize like "Nize," but something tells me that's incorrect.

What is proper pronunciation in German? (Though I believe it's a Czech name, no?)

Default Re: Knize 10 pronunciation: German or Austrian basenoter help?

I heard that it's hungarian. Kneege maybe? Like cheese, but Kneege. I think "g" is better than "z", because "z" turns to "s" and it's not Kneese.
    But I could be wrong of course ....
    Last edited by dr.creed; 13th February 2010 at 06:22 PM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

There was quite a lengthy thread regarding this at the end of 2008. The link is below.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/218...=knize+pronoun

It's Czech and would properly be pronounced roughly like knee with the k NOT silent plus the French "je" (i.e. I) - that particular sound does not exist in English, but you may know it from Jacques Guerlain, Angelina Jolie etc. I heard onve that Knize themselves also accept the Anglicized version (after all it was marketed internationally as "The Knize Ten")
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

We have looked into that before. I wouldn't worry and just continue pronouncing it the English way. That's how Knize Tailors wanted their customers to pronounce it . Reason: At the time, English cloths and tailoring dominated the fashion for Gentlemen on the continent, also in Vienna and Berlin. (French was a bit out for better menswear, not for couture, though.) Ten is just a number, but the label spells that out in English (not in German, Hungarian, or a third language in the old Habsburg Reich). Little detail which everybody ignores nowadays: the correct fragrance name is not Knize 10 but "The Knize Ten", complete:

" The Gentleman's Toilet Water
    The
    Knize Ten "

By the way, The Knize Ten was then an exclusive for the customers of the house, not a widely distributed cologne for men.

(If you want to search back a year or two, you'll come across at least one thread where this has been discussed last; edit: and Inselaffe already posted link#1 which includes also include one more link: see post #3, Thank you !)

edit:
    mere coincidence, the_good-life. I took longer to edit. Czech of course it is!
    Last edited by narcus; 13th February 2010 at 07:47 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Thanks Narcus. Interesting and enlightening. Sounds quite accurate.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a project for http://belabela.posterous.com/
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Sounds like a project for http://belabela.posterous.com/
    I just love the angry parisian comments under the names..... Or do I....

k nee sheh That is the pronunciation that was used by the company when I contacted them. They pronounce it the Czech way, not the German way.

When I was in Vienna the people there pronounced it: k-NEE-zheh.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    When I was in Vienna the people there pronounced it: k-NEE-zheh.
    Being a Knize fan and quite familiar with Vienna, I recall having heard on multiple occasions exactly the same pronunciation

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    We have looked into that before. I wouldn't worry and just continue pronouncing it the English way. That's how Knize Tailors wanted their customers to pronounce it . Reason: At the time, English cloths and tailoring dominated the fashion for Gentlemen on the continent, also in Vienna and Berlin. (French was a bit out for better menswear, not for couture, though.) Ten is just a number, but the label spells that out in English (not in German, Hungarian, or a third language in the old Habsburg Reich). Little detail which everybody ignores nowadays: the correct fragrance name is not Knize 10 but "The Knize Ten", complete:

" The Gentleman's Toilet Water
    The
    Knize Ten "

By the way, The Knize Ten was then an exclusive for the customers of the house, not a widely distributed cologne for men.

(If you want to search back a year or two, you'll come across at least one thread where this has been discussed last; edit: and Inselaffe already posted link#1 which includes also include one more link: see post #3, Thank you !)

edit:
    mere coincidence, the_good-life. I took longer to edit. Czech of course it is!
    It is still produced by a small german company in very limited quantities. Talk about exclusivity!

The last time I checked, Luckyscent is on backorder since last year. Other websites that list it are also out of stock.

Luckily, I managed to find a seller from Australia on eBay offering 5 and 10ml decants. Guess that will have to do until the backorder comes through.

I live in Vienna and have been at the Knize store several times -- they also have some nice clothes and shoes, it's worth a visit. In my experience the name is pronounced K-nee-je (the "je" similar to the one in "jerk").
    Something that struck is they have a big range of bottle sizes -- 15, 30, 50, 75, 100, 125ml, and even bigger, if I'm not mistaken.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Just go to the google translate,
    they have a listen function:

Kneezah [With a K like in kill]

http://translate.google.dk/#cs|da|knize

you can only pronounce it correctly if you heard a born Czech to speak it out. Or a Slovak, eventually (I am a born Slovak :-))
    so . ....

KNEEEEZHE provided that "n" is very soft, like "nj" or how it could be heard in Eastern European countries. The end "e" is also open.