Code of Conduct

Default My L' Instant de Guerlain EDP smells different...

A few months ago I bought a decant of L' Instant EDP from The Perfumed Court. It was robust with anise. I was crazy about it. But I recently got a new, full bottle and it smells very different. It is weaker and smells much more of hibiscus (I think) than anise. Anyone know why? Has anyone else experienced something similar?
    Time to musk up.

Default Re: My L' Instant de Guerlain EDP smells different...

Maybe you got a reformulated bottle and the decant was juice from a old version as houses do tweak their products from time to time. Or you got a decant of the EDT by mistake as it is more citrus and full of anise on the opening.

Perhaps you can return the bottle to the place where you bought it if you are unhappy with it.

I'm positive I got the EDP. I could probably return it but buying another one else where wouldn't guarantee I would get something that smells different. That's why I'm trying to find out if anyone else has had a similar experience recently. I don't want to shaft the seller by jumping to conclusions. Reformulations aside, stories of batch inconsistencies has kept me from purchasing Creeds, despite the fact I've enjoyed small decants.

Where did you pick it up from, if you don't mind me asking?

Are you sure you got the EdP. The two are fairly similar in scent. The EdP is dark brown around the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    Where did you pick it up from, if you don't mind me asking?
    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Are you sure you got the EdP. The two are fairly similar in scent. The EdP is dark brown around the edges.
    I got it from beauty-enhancement. As I said already, I'm sure I got the EDP.
    Time to musk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekisen View Post
    I got it from beauty-enhancement. As I said already, I'm sure I got the EDP.
    I am not sure what would account for the difference as I had the same buy method as you - first from the perfumed court to sample, then from ebay, and then backup bottles from different sites, all of which smell the same.

Star anise is listed as a major note in both Edt and Edp, and if you go on fragrantica the anise in the edt actually has a higher value attributed than the Edp, so my only guess is that maybe the perfumed court accidentally gave you the edt and you actually like that better.

Either that or you got a fake because I really don't think this fragrance was reformulated in the short time it was available.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Blog Entries

Do you still have some of your decant? Unless you're doing a side-by-side comparison, I think it's hazardous to make a judgment as to fakery. L'Instant EDP is a complex scent, and such scents are easily perceived differently as a function of time. That is, in fact, one of the things I enjoy about it. It smells different every few months when I wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    I am not sure what would account for the difference as I had the same buy method as you - first from the perfumed court to sample, then from ebay, and then backup bottles from different sites, all of which smell the same.

Star anise is listed as a major note in both Edt and Edp, and if you go on fragrantica the anise in the edt actually has a higher value attributed than the Edp, so my only guess is that maybe the perfumed court accidentally gave you the edt and you actually like that better.

Either that or you got a fake because I really don't think this fragrance was reformulated in the short time it was available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Do you still have some of your decant? Unless you're doing a side-by-side comparison, I think it's hazardous to make a judgment as to fakery. L'Instant EDP is a complex scent, and such scents are easily perceived differently as a function of time. That is, in fact, one of the things I enjoy about it. It smells different every few months when I wear it.
    Huh... Interesting I never thought about it that way--that the perfumed court actually gave me the EDT version... It was indeed very strong anise with much louder projection. And yes I did side by side comparisons. My recent purchase has a very similar dry down that's definitely quieter.
    Time to musk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekisen View Post
    Huh... Interesting I never thought about it that way--that the perfumed court actually gave me the EDT version... It was indeed very strong anise with much louder projection. And yes I did side by side comparisons. My recent purchase has a very similar dry down that's definitely quieter.

I find the projection is much stronger with the EDP. The EDT always smelled very weak to me. So I don't think TPC gave you the wrong juice.

This use to happen a lot to me when I got new bottles....for some reason they always seemed really weak at first or like maybe they were too old or damaged. I've tried to figure out what it is and think it has something to do with olfactory fatigue and letting the fragrance breathe. So, I recommend you give it a rest for a day or two, and when you return do a light application (2 sprays) on the chest and let it settle in. You might find that it has completely changed (as far as how you perceive it) and indeed is the stuff you originally loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Interesting, thank you.

I tested l'Instant Extreme in a shop yesterday. I asked the SA if I can test it on my skin (testers are behind the counter) and she gave me 3 sprays on my arm from a big distance. At least 30cm. I got the citrus kick of the opening but it faded quickly into cocoa goodness. I decided to not wait any longer for the drydown and bought it on the spot.

When I got home I decided to spray it on a card. Guess what, it was different...
    The citrus opening persisted for a much longer time and there were more flowers.
    And less cocoa. Reformulation hysteria was kicking in again. The fragrance I bought before l'Instant Extreme is Dior Homme Intense. I don't think I need to explain the reformulation hysteria around DHI since that is covered nicely on this forum.

To make things worse after the "card experience", I saw this topic.
    I decided to not go berzerk and to wait for the skin test. So today I gave myself a full application. Guess what... it is still different from the experience in the shop. It is better compared to the card, since I am getting more cocoa and the citrus and flowers are more into balance with the cocoa.

The weird thing is, that after 7 (!) hours, I get the exact same experience as in the shop. That means a big load of cocoa. So what takes 3 minutes in the shop, takes 7 hours at home. I can only conclude that the way you apply this fragrance is very important. I am now going to experiment with different application methods and the next time I will spray it from a bigger distance. I think the OP should do the same, certainly since his first experience is with a decant. The spray mechanisms are different and that clearly affects this fragrance. At least, I hope this is the case.

There is a chance that this one got reformulated.
    We will only know for sure if someone who bought it when it came out, goes to a shop to compare it. Anyway, if it is reformulated, I am still happy with it.

What I find remarkable about l'Instant Extreme is how thick and viscous it is.
    Does it have a lot of oil (which would be logic for an EDP), or did they use a thickening agent to fool us, I don't know. What I do know is that this stuff doesn't smell synthetic at all. Maybe this is the reason that it performs so differently because of small factors?

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I find the projection is much stronger with the EDP. The EDT always smelled very weak to me. So I don't think TPC gave you the wrong juice.

This use to happen a lot to me when I got new bottles....for some reason they always seemed really weak at first or like maybe they were too old or damaged. I've tried to figure out what it is and think it has something to do with olfactory fatigue and letting the fragrance breathe. So, I recommend you give it a rest for a day or two, and when you return do a light application (2 sprays) on the chest and let it settle in. You might find that it has completely changed (as far as how you perceive it) and indeed is the stuff you originally loved.
    I tried that and although it made it better by increasing my olfactory sensitivity, it doesn't explain why in a side-by-side comparison, that the decant was so much more potent. And still, instead of strong anise I'm getting floral.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Interesting, thank you.

I tested l'Instant Extreme in a shop yesterday. I asked the SA if I can test it on my skin (testers are behind the counter) and she gave me 3 sprays on my arm from a big distance. At least 30cm. I got the citrus kick of the opening but it faded quickly into cocoa goodness. I decided to not wait any longer for the drydown and bought it on the spot.

When I got home I decided to spray it on a card. Guess what, it was different...
    The citrus opening persisted for a much longer time and there were more flowers.
    And less cocoa. Reformulation hysteria was kicking in again. The fragrance I bought before l'Instant Extreme is Dior Homme Intense. I don't think I need to explain the reformulation hysteria around DHI since that is covered nicely on this forum.

To make things worse after the "card experience", I saw this topic.
    I decided to not go berzerk and to wait for the skin test. So today I gave myself a full application. Guess what... it is still different from the experience in the shop. It is better compared to the card, since I am getting more cocoa and the citrus and flowers are more into balance with the cocoa.

The weird thing is, that after 7 (!) hours, I get the exact same experience as in the shop. That means a big load of cocoa. So what takes 3 minutes in the shop, takes 7 hours at home. I can only conclude that the way you apply this fragrance is very important. I am now going to experiment with different application methods and the next time I will spray it from a bigger distance. I think the OP should do the same, certainly since his first experience is with a decant. The spray mechanisms are different and that clearly affects this fragrance. At least, I hope this is the case.

There is a chance that this one got reformulated.
    We will only know for sure if someone who bought it when it came out, goes to a shop to compare it. Anyway, if it is reformulated, I am still happy with it.

What I find remarkable about l'Instant Extreme is how thick and viscous it is.
    Does it have a lot of oil (which would be logic for an EDP), or did they use a thickening agent to fool us, I don't know. What I do know is that this stuff doesn't smell synthetic at all. Maybe this is the reason that it performs so differently because of small factors?
    I will try spraying at different distances and see what happens. I get the feeling it will go through the top notes even faster when sprayed from a distance. Perhaps the variability of some frags does depend on how natural the ingredients are... Someone earlier said that their new bottles often seem weak at first. I've also read there are people who swear their Creeds become more robust over time. I would like more input from people who've tried it lately.
    Time to musk up.

I have decants of each and the smell of the two is pretty similar. Besides the subtle differences in smell the best way to tell the difference is longevity, the edp lasts much longer.

I own the EDT and have tested the EDP . I did not like both to be honest .

- The cocoa in the EDP was very subtle, never too strong .
    - I think the citrus opening is lame and unnecessary ( in other words = pointless ). I would rather have an floral opening instead of the citrus.

Not for me, both .
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

the sprayer is different it sprays more/less and thats the difference
    i had quite similar prob. with encre noire while my decant was strong the juice in botte was weaker
    spray closer from ur bottle

or as posted TPC might send you EDT
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzˇw

Back with a little more feedback. I'm growing accustomed to having little anise but I certainly do miss it. I don't think it's the sprayer as a few have mentioned because this isn't my first time going from decant to full bottle purchase. They are have been quite similar in the past. Even though L'Instant EDP doesn't project that loudly, it lasts for ages!

Blog Entries

It's got to be a fake.