Code of Conduct

Default What's like Chanel pour Monsieur (non-concentree) - but lasts longer?

Love the Chanel PM smell, but do not love how shy and retiring it is after even half an hour. Is there anything else that smells similar like this classic old-school Chypre that actually lasts longer?

That is, a perfume that you'd refer to as "If this perfume were a men's suit, this would be a fine Brioni/Canali suit."

Note: I also have and like Mitsouko EDP.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Default Re: What's like Chanel pour Monsieur (non-concentree) - but lasts longer?

Tiffany & Co. Tiffany for Men
    Guerlain Habit Rouge

I'm sure there is some other stuff, but IMO Tiff's is very close and is a spectacular fragrance. It goes for ludicrous prices on ebay, but it's very reasonable at Tiffany's stores and on their website.

Default Re: What's like Chanel pour Monsieur (non-concentree) - but lasts longer?

I woudn't go near calling it a direct replacement, but Aramis Devin sorta has the feel of Chanel PM having an early summer frolic in the meadows.
    It's EDC conentration though so longevity may vary, but it is cheaper and more accessible...pros, cons, pros, cons etc.

I don't see it but Turnin advocates Caron's Third Man as a substitute.

Sur la Plage

Tiffany for Men
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Ungaro II has a similar rose-floral opening and pretty good lasting power

I agree that Tiffany is very close, albeit a bit more oriental and a bit less chypre... Excellent choice.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 14th February 2010 at 09:32 PM.

.Tiffany For Men.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Tiffany for Men is extremely similar to Chanel pour Monsieur.
    I just find TfM a tad less lemony than CpM

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Ungaro II
    Another vote for this.

Guerlain Sous le Vent

I thought Tiffany for Men was VERY similar to CpM Concentree, but nothing like the non-concentree. I think looking for a longer lasting CpM may well be a lost cause.
    All just my opinion, of course!

M
    Last edited by Matthew; 15th February 2010 at 12:03 PM.

Well it appears Tiffany for Men is the winner by popular BN vote. Thanks for all your help gentlemen (and one lady too).
    - Pierre Bourdon

YSL Pour Homme. dont let the color of the juice fool you

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    YSL Pour Homme. dont let the color of the juice fool you
    If only I can find that one. Can only find YSL L'Homme lately, which I know is different that YSL pH.
    - Pierre Bourdon

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I thought Tiffany for Men was VERY similar to CpM Concentree, but nothing like the non-concentree....
    It is. Same perfumer as well.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I agree with the others, definitely Tiffany for Men, it's what Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree should have been. I have all three and to my mind TfM is my preferred option.

The other fragrance I'm surprised nobody has mentioned is Tom Ford for men, the original version of which is very very close to Chanel Pour Monsieur.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Basenotes Institution

I agree with Asha. Sous le Vent by Guerlain has excellent longevity, although it is pricier and more difficult to source. Another you should also try is Numero Uno by Carthusia.

Neither tha 3rd Man or Habit Rouge have the same deep spicy-citrus chypre feel - Tiffany for Men comes close.
    -

If you don't own Tiffany for men
    you need to
    period
    Last edited by Hasupk@gmail.com; 18th February 2010 at 02:13 AM.
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Turns out I have the answer all along to my own question all in my fridge.... how to create a longer-lasting CpM:

Ingredients:
    - 50 ml bottle of Chanel pM
    - 75 ml bottle of Mitsouko EDP
    - A decant spray bottle.

Mix 10 parts of Mitsouko EDP to 6 parts of Chanel pM. Mix thoroughly.

Result:
    You will have something that is CpM up top that is slightly aldehydic, lasts longer, with a deeper chypre drydown. Depite being in the minority in the mixture above, the CpM top and heart notes will overpower the Mitsu that you may not smell that there's much Mitsu in it at all.
    ===========
    Tiffany for Men: After my second wearing of Tiffany for Men, I knew exactly what it is: It is "CpM top with a powdery Le Male drydown".
    - Pierre Bourdon

Huh...sounds interesting! Have you given it a full wearing yet?

O would suggest Dunhill for Men (1934). It is in a similar class not perhaps the exact same scent though. Every Basenoter owes to himself or herself to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Huh...sounds interesting! Have you given it a full wearing yet?
    Yup, today I did. Might try to make a different mixture ratio though next time once my 4 ml sample vial is empty.

What I got today upon full wearing was something that is described above. But what was unexpected was the mossy Mitsu drydown became much more prominent at the basenotes stage compared to if I were wearing the Mitsu alone.
    - Pierre Bourdon

delete - doubleposted by accident
    Last edited by GourmandHomme; 25th February 2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: delete - doubleposted by accident
    - Pierre Bourdon

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I agree with Asha. Sous le Vent by Guerlain has excellent longevity, although it is pricier and more difficult to source. Another you should also try is Numero Uno by Carthusia.
    Numero Uno is an excellent basic Chypre; maybe not a CPM smell alike, but very, very good.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 25th February 2010 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    O would suggest Dunhill for Men (1934). It is in a similar class not perhaps the exact same scent though. Every Basenoter owes to himself or herself to try it.
    Different families of scent, but I agree Dunhill for Men is an excellent Fougere.