Code of Conduct

Default Bobby Jones replacement

Greeting everyone as this is my first post. It's been a weird road to how I arrived at this website. I've never considered myself an expert at perfume and cologne, but I do like a good cologne when the occasion arises. Once upon a time when I was searching for a good cologne I came across Bobby Jones. It wasn't overbearing, and to me, it was an original scent. As I didn't know anyone that wore anything like it. The response when I wore it was so overwhelming that my search was declared over. It was me and Bobby Jones till death do us part. I'm sure a lot of guys say this, but women LOVE this stuff. Everyone from my mom, to well off women at formal events, to women I pick up in dingy bars LOVE it.
    So last year I found out the original Bobby Jones has been discontinued. I was lucky enough to pick up a couple flasks for cheap on Ebay, but I realize at some point I will run out. I've gone to a few high end department stores looking for a replacement. For the most part, the scents that were similar just smelled cheap and generic. Certainly not noticeable or original. The girl at the counter talked me into Jaipur by Boucheron, which I don't regret, but I still want something similar to Bobby Jones.
    For what it's worth, I also picked up Endymion by Penhaligon's, which I prefer to the Jaipur. So, I ask, what scent, which is still in production close to Bobby Jones?

Default Re: Bobby Jones replacement

Welcome to basenotes!

I've never smelled Bobby Jones but I see that it's still being sold on the official Bobby Jones website: http://www.bobbyjonesshop.com/websit...S25W66HC500439

I also used the Michael Edwards fragrance-finder at Sephora.com. For men who like Bobby Jones, he recommends Kenneth Cole, Black For Him, Calvin Klein, Eternity for Men and Davidoff Cool Water.
    http://www.sephora.com/browse/me/rec...esults.jhtml.4

Also, you may want to check the reviews for Bobby Jones in the Basenotes Directory. Several reviewers compare it to other scents:
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120218.html
    Last edited by socalwoman; 14th February 2010 at 08:42 PM.
    "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." -Benjamin Franklin

On another site, some said it smelled like Swiss Army Altitude for men. I have no idea if that is accurate, but it's something to consider, since there are stores that have testers of SAA.

The cologne at the Bobby Jones website is a newer fragrance which is suppose to be different from the original that came in the green leather wrapped flask.
    I'm trying to stay away from products like Cool Water because I know it's a commonly used cologne. Call me finicky, but I revel in individuality. I don't like wearing something that is the "trend" or something that is widely used. I love it when a woman says, "You smell good. What is that?"

Welcome to Basenotes, westpac690!

Another Michael Edwards' Recommender, not affiliated with any retailer, suggests:

ANNAYAKÉ POUR LUI by Annayaké
    MONTANA GREEN by Montana
    CARRÉ D'AS by Parfums de Nicolaď
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

As the link in socialwoman's post above shows, One Basenotes reviewer states it 'smells just like Jaguar Performance'.
    Last edited by kbe; 15th February 2010 at 01:01 AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

After doing a little research, I was thinking the following might be suitable:

1. Acqua di Parma Assoluta
    2. Chanel Allure Homme Sport
    3. Clinique Happy
    4. Musgo Real Aqua De Colonia No. 1

I've looked at some of the colognes recommended by other sites, and after looking at the list of ingredients, I don't see see how they could be similliar, or there is just too much going on in the bottle. I don't want the ingredient list to be a paragraph long.