Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Dior Homme Cologne: All Season? Possible Blind Buy

Sorry, it's another "should I buy this?" thread, but I'm looking for opinions and insight instead of a yes or no answer, however. I'm just fishing for more information that I've already gathered from the reviews and searches. I've worn the original Dior Homme a couple years back and thought it was a nice fragrance. Kinda girly, but the dry down was warm, ambery, inviting, and sweet. Pretty sure this is a fall and winter scent with an occasional spring evening or a cooler spring day. Definitely not something I'd wear in the middle of July or August. I was wondering if Dior Homme Cologne would be a good compromise to be worn all season and still not get drowned out by winter colds. I was also reading reviews on Guerlain "Cologne du 68" as a contender and read comparisons to Dior Homme Cologne (for whatever reason).

To my understanding, the "make up bag" florals are toned down in the "Cologne" version with added citrus top notes. Some reviews say other than that, it's relatively the same, but a bit tamer. Also, this only comes in a 4.2 oz bottle, which makes it easier to locate in the slews of information on the original and Sport. I've worn Sport and I really detest this stuff. It smelled too much in the vein of L'eau d'Issey, which gave me headaches. Heavy florals with nose piercing citrus wasn't a fun time for me with Dior Homme Sport. For further clarification, I linked the photo of the bottle I'm talking about and also, FYI, this isn't an "Eau du Cologne" formulation, it's still an "Eau du Toilette". Unfortunately, there's no way at all for me to give this a test run before spending money on it, but I want some assessments and a few reference points to mull this over. I'll take the opinions posted in this thread and think it over with what I know about the notes in the Dior Homme lineup. The only thing I can do now is revisit the original Dior Homme and if I liked it as much as I did back then, I can bite the bullet and hope for the best if I do end up with a bottle of DH Cologne. Any thoughts on this being a good all arounder?

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne: All Season? Possible Blind Buy

Well, I for one find the cologne to be sweeter than the EdT.
    I started with the cologne, but have later changed to the EdT.

I think both the EdT and cologne is an all aorund scent,
    which can be woren at most occations all year. 24/7.

I absolutely love Dior Homme.
    Have you tryed the Intense?
    A different scent alltogether, but pure Jesus Juice!

I've mentioned many times that I really love the Cologne version of Dior Homme. The differences seem very subtle, but when I wear it, the contrast seems greater. It does lose a little of the feminine quality and it's a bit cooler and more transparent. More refreshed smelling. Good all year round. Go for it.

Blog Entries

I heard Dior Homme Intense is crossing into the gourmand category with the added cocoa edge to it. I'll probably try it out much later this year when it gets cold again in California. Right now, we're about a month or two away from warm weather again. LOL.

Dior Homme Cologne is my #1. I find it less sweet than the original, basically what you said, with more citrus in the top. It's still noticeably Dior Homme, unlike Dior Homme Sport. But IMO, it's how the original should smell, and yes it works wonderfully in most weather.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

id rather get L'Instant EdT for all season

I find the iris a bit more prominent in the Cologne version, with a citrus-y soap lingering in the background. Its also less 'gourmand' than the orignal, still very sweet but without as much cocoa powder in the background. It seems the leathers slightly more prominent in the drydown too. If you enjoy the original you'll like it, they are different but not THAT different. I actually find more sillage and longevity from the Cologne version... Weird.
    Last edited by Anthony87; 15th February 2010 at 03:04 AM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Blog Entries

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Young Dro View Post
    id rather get L'Instant EdT for all season
    Man, I just wore L'Instant for the first time tonight from a decant and I'm still wearing it right now. Something about it is giving me a headache. I'm not a fan of it so far, but I'm not giving up on it based on one wearing. =/

I think I read in an interview of Bertrand Duchaufour (Timbuktu, etc.) that he wished he had composed Dior Homme. That was endorsment enough for me. I bought it blind and never regretted doing so. It's a scent I wear often, any season, any time of day or night. Go for it--I don't think you'll be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    I think I read in an interview of Bertrand Duchaufour (Timbuktu, etc.) that he wished he had composed Dior Homme. That was endorsment enough for me. I bought it blind and never regretted doing so. It's a scent I wear often, any season, any time of day or night. Go for it--I don't think you'll be sorry.
    Dior Homme (EDT) or Dior Homme Cologne???

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    Thanks for the feedback so far, guys!

Man, I just wore L'Instant for the first time tonight from a decant and I'm still wearing it right now. Something about it is giving me a headache. I'm not a fan of it so far, but I'm not giving up on it based on one wearing. =/
    ahhh...too bad, maybe you should try the EdP

Great choice if you buy this one , I love it , my first choice in my favourite colection Dior Homme , most versatile , allround fragrance , I would not think a minut about this one ... LOVE IT . Yes Intense is a bit gourmand , to sweet sometimes , only for cold days but this one , oh this one is pure perfection....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Young Dro View Post
    ahhh...too bad, maybe you should try the EdP
    Man, I don't think getting a stronger EdP would help. I have no problems with longevity or strength of this. It's just what's in it that's not playing nice with my skin at all.

Oh no problem homie, go with Dior then, also a good choice

In my opinion, Dior Homme Cologne is truly suitable for all seasons.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 15th February 2010 at 09:51 PM.

I don't remember him mentioning EDT, EDC, or EDP. The interview was about him and perfumes he created. The question was asked by the interviewer to name the one perfume he wished he had composed instead of someone else, Olivier Polge. He then went on to say why he thought Dior Homme is such a great perfume.
    I just went and looked at my bottle to be sure and I have the EDT.

I don't remember him mentioning EDT, EDC, or EDP. The interview was about him and perfumes he created. The question was asked by the interviewer to name the one perfume he wished he had composed instead of someone else, Olivier Polge. He then went on to say why he thought Dior Homme is such a great perfume.
    Ok, thanks for the clarification. Greetings

PawelL

Intense is a tad sweeter than the original; both are exquisite.

Basenotes Institution

I really want a bottle of the Cologne, one of these days.

Blog Entries

Dior Homme Cologne is an EdT (this was an easy mix up due to the word "Cologne"), just remixed fresher of the original, but it's not diluted.

Question, if I absolutely hated Dior Homme Sport. Would Dior Homme Cologne share any similarities that would make this a bad idea? Dior Homme Sport just had this headache inducing combination of florals and citrus that made me dislike L'eau d'Issey (it's almost as if they both almost smell the same).

Quote Originally Posted by Igorbg View Post
    Great choice if you buy this one , I love it
    Agree....and me too.

Sur la Plage

Get it! I love it!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Alright guys, I'll test out Dior Homme this weekend and see how I feel about it. So far, I like all the iris based colognes I've worn, I liked (Versace The Dreamer, Prada Infusion d'Homme, Dior Homme). So iris notes are on my "favorite notes" list. The only thing I could recall from wearing Dior Homme 2 years ago came from my spreadsheet of everything I've worn and owned. The notes I put down was "warm amber, wears kind of light." Then again, at the time, I had dryer skin and I wasn't aware of how much my skin ate up fragrances and didn't take olfactory fatigue into account. As I learned with The Dreamer and YSL L'Homme, something I thought was amazing 2-years ago has a good chance of not being so amazing to me now. Too bad the original Dior Homme is the only and best way to semi-blind buy Dior Homme Cologne since I can't get a decant of it for the life of me. =/
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 16th February 2010 at 06:34 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    Question, if I absolutely hated Dior Homme Sport. Would Dior Homme Cologne share any similarities that would make this a bad idea? Dior Homme Sport just had this headache inducing combination of florals and citrus that made me dislike L'eau d'Issey (it's almost as if they both almost smell the same).
    Not alike, IMO. Dior Homme Cologne features none of those atypical 'fresh' notes. It is (to use on of Indie_guy's words) 'transparent' which can feel sort of freshening. But it is nothing like the banal/boring/been-there-smelled that Dior Homme Sport.

Have you tried Kenzo Power? If your expecting a revelation with Dior Homme Cologne you probably won't get it, its pretty similar to the original asides from the differences in my above post. Its a shame your in the US, I'd have no problems sending a sample across Aus
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Have you tried Kenzo Power? If your expecting a revelation with Dior Homme Cologne you probably won't get it, its pretty similar to the original asides from the differences in my above post. Its a shame your in the US, I'd have no problems sending a sample across Aus
    Good point. The best reference point would be Kenzo Power.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Basenotes Institution

I don't think you can go wrong with Dior Homme Cologne -it's a good choice.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    LOL, I'm across the Pacific Ocean in California, would that help any? Anyway, I have worn Kenzo Power and I actually considered a bottle of it sometime last fall. To me it's a fresh, lightly spicy, and warming floral almost in the same vein as Geir Ness.

Dior Homme Cologne was my SOTD today. I like it far better than the original Dior Homme EDT. Though the differences seem subtle, the Dior Homme Cologne has a slightly fizzy, sparkling intro that's very nice. Where the EDT gets a bit bogged down with the almost carrot-like aspects of the iris, the Cologne stays clear and fresh. I don't dislike the EDT, but I feel like the Cologne is what the EDT should have been from the beginning-- it's like they got it 95% right and released it to the public--and THEN after some time, the perfumer got all his ducks in a row and really hit upon the right balance of everything. It's like they're so similar, almost identical, but the Cologne is one I reach for often and the EDT I rarely feel like wearing.

Blog Entries

I'd totally love to try it out, but out of 16 fragrances I'm going to throw into my bracketed tournament to determine the next bottle. It's the only thing I have no way of getting a sample of unless I buy a full bottle (thus defeating the purpose of trying out the other 15 fragrances). So I'm substituting the regular Dior Homme in it's place (where it'll face off against Dirty English in the 1st round).
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 17th February 2010 at 08:48 AM.

Since Rawk Lee has already stated how its pretty much virtually impossible to test Dior Homme Cologne in the US, where did you all purchase this (those of you in the US)? Amazon? I'm not sure if scentiments has it... Of course, I'd much rather be able to test it before buying, so if anyone residing in the US does have any idea where I could test this out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Did you ever end up buying it blind, Rawk Lee? What are your thoughts? Cuz I'm in the same boat now...

And I swear I saw this bottle somewhere ONCE...it was when I didn't appreciate Dior Homme at all, so I passed it by. Now its too late...lol. C'est la vie