Code of Conduct
    Hillaire

Default Scenting Your HomeWith PERFUME : Using Perfumes in an Aromatherapy Diffuser

I recently made a discovery, which I'd like to share with everyone. I thought to try putting some of my perfumes on the little cartridges intended for essential oils, which slide into my electric aromatherapy diffuser ball.

Does anyone else do this???

Well, not only does it effectively, intensely fragrance my whole home (Just a few drops are needed.), I learned that it's a really nice way to examine and analyze scents. Something about the warmth and the ambient aroma sans alcohol, emulates the heart and drydown phases of perfume on skin, and as it's not on my person -- and therefore easy to "lose" -- it has the really more pronounced effect of having another perfumed person in the room. I absolutely LOVE doing this with new samples!

(My office smells like Dia just now, and it's positively elegant!)

The aromatherapy ball I bought (pictured below) is only 12USD, too, so I hope to convince some of you to give this little method a try. It comes with only a few cartridges, but they are just white, sturdy cardboard, so I made lots more by cutting up bristol board to the right size, and it's totally effective.

I find pure perfume works the best (lasts all day and night), and I only need to use four drops from a pipette.

I also now have a whole repertoire of fragrances I think are most well-suited to warm, ambient home-scenting.
    These remind me of like off-the-charts fine candles, the one's I could never buy:

Dia women -- it actually smells like the best possible home fragrance int he universe, now that I think of it!
    Niki de Saint Phalle -- minty, spicy and elegant, it evokes a pristine Parisian hotel in the spring
    Chergui -- doesn't have a better purpose than filling a room... I find it very reassuring, embracing and warming in the winter!
    Jacinthe et Rose -- This is the smell of divine body cream and romantic, strewn-about pink and white flower petals. I find it delightful for my 'spa' evenings.
    Ambre Sultan -- This is not something I ever wear, but in a room it's exotic and inspiring, and reminds of the more curious import shops I loved in my youth. This would be my choice for a party!
    Chanel 19 -- This one imparts elegance and poise to a room; it makes my things/ space feel somehow more refined.
    Cristalle -- This bitter, crisp scent becomes rich and smooth in a diffuser, and it has a really arty and cosmopolitan character.
    Amouage Tribute -- I wish I had more of this one for this purpose; it's everything I could want my room to smell of; it's smoky like a burning fireplace, it's lush, it's foreign, it's glamorous, it's opulent, and for me, it really evokes bold, distant travels made by dashing, chic personages of yore... and two drops last two days!

Last edited by Hillaire; 15th February 2010 at 03:22 AM.

Default Re: Scenting Your HomeWith PERFUME : Using Perfumes in an Aromatherapy Diffuser

What a fantastic idea! I may just give it a try at home (or even in the
    classroom, if I dare!!) I really fancy the idea of a house scented with
    SMN Melograno or A Scent by Isse Miyake.
    Last edited by kewart; 15th February 2010 at 08:36 AM.

Default Re: Scenting Your HomeWith PERFUME : Using Perfumes in an Aromatherapy Diffuser

Hmmm...one scent I'd use is totally relevant and apposite to any household...pardon me...*CHERGUI* Would be soo darn cool!!!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Great idea! I'll try it.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Very nice - and very interesting!

I get what you mean about it being like having another perfumed person in the room - you're getting all sillage. But this "other" person would have a neutral chemistry...right? Have you made any notable observations about differences you perceive from your skin versus this neutral "other person"? Are any notes or accords more or less pronounced? Is the diffuser actually better at evenly diffusing the scent making it somehow easier to pick out individual notes? Or do the results seem to be quite similar either way, and with every fragrance? Are there any fragrances that remain the same while others seem to change dramatically?

You say it makes it easy to examine a scent, but it also seems like the perfect way to actually compare how the scent behaves on your skin as opposed to the ball. Then you can analyze whether it's primarily our individual chemistries that alter a scent, or simply the very personal and distinctly different ways we perceive them (which is sort of the way I've been leaning for a while, although there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that contradicts this.) At any rate, I bet your home smells divine!

Thanks for sharing this - you must report back if/when you make any intriguing discoveries!

This is a great idea! I'm tempted to immediately order one for my house and one for my office. I see that there is a similar product for the car, too:

Now I need to think of the scents that I might want...

Nice, Hillaire! As you say, it looks like a good way to analyze a fragrance as if it were someone else wearing it. There are fragrances I love smelling, but not on my person (e.g., Coco). And I'm sure yours is much nicer than the plug-in thing + oil that I once bought at the grocery store that I soon had to unplug and put away because it felt like having my nostrils cauterized!

I'm assuming you can only apply one scent to one "scent pad", so if I'd like to use one scent per day it will end up costing quite a bit if I have to order refill pads at $3.49 for a 10 pack plus shipping.

Anyone know if you can purchase these "refill pads' cheaply in bulk online? (hopefully with decent shipping costs to Canada)

Basenotes Plus

The original post said "It comes with only a few cartridges, but they are just white, sturdy cardboard, so I made lots more by cutting up bristol board to the right size, and it's totally effective". So if you have access to bristol board (art or office supply store should have it) and a few minutes to cut with scissors or paper cutter- you should have a lifetime supply pretty cheap.

Edited to add- i just saw on an aromatherapy site that they stated uou can "use fold up natural tissue paper and use it in these diffusers as well!"
    Last edited by knit at nite; 15th February 2010 at 07:09 PM.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Very nice - and very interesting!

I get what you mean about it being like having another perfumed person in the room - you're getting all sillage. But this "other" person would have a neutral chemistry...right? Have you made any notable observations about differences you perceive from your skin versus this neutral "other person"? Are any notes or accords more or less pronounced? Is the diffuser actually better at evenly diffusing the scent making it somehow easier to pick out individual notes? Or do the results seem to be quite similar either way, and with every fragrance? Are there any fragrances that remain the same while others seem to change dramatically?

You say it makes it easy to examine a scent, but it also seems like the perfect way to actually compare how the scent behaves on your skin as opposed to the ball. Then you can analyze whether it's primarily our individual chemistries that alter a scent, or simply the very personal and distinctly different ways we perceive them (which is sort of the way I've been leaning for a while, although there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that contradicts this.) At any rate, I bet your home smells divine!

Thanks for sharing this - you must report back if/when you make any intriguing discoveries!
    It's true as you say, it's a very neutral source, which, in terms of strictly working out notes, is advantageous, but as you also point out, scents behave very differently in the "ball" than they do on my person; I still have to give all scents a skin "test drive" regardless. The ball is far more forgiving than picky skin, though, and I see mostly advantages in this. Lots to think about re: my aromatherapy-diffuser, scent-analysis program .

And now I have seen the car version, guess what I am about to buy, in like two minutes? I hope it is not "too much" for that small space; I will have to be really sparing.

Oh, I also store each cartridge in its own mini zipper bag, with a label, so the myriad cartridges won't touch one another, or dry out, or get too 'confusing'. I keep them in my sample organiser.

I think my next mission will be scent ball layering. LOL!

This is utterly fantastic! I am getting sooo tired of burning expensive candles, some cost as much as $60 each! Plus it is always a struggle to find ones that I love. Now I will have more disposable income for more frags, what multipurpose FUN....

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I use my vacuumcleaner as a diffuser. I spray this filter inside the maschine and after cleaning the floors whole apartment smells great.
    http://myfragrantwardrobe.blogmesin.com

Am I missing something or is there no link in this thread to the seller's site or mention as to who the seller is?

Thanky

Quote Originally Posted by FragrantRabbit View Post
    I use my vacuumcleaner as a diffuser. I spray this filter inside the maschine and after cleaning the floors whole apartment smells great.
    Bumping this thread b/c I was searching to see if anyone had posted this fragrant tip.
    A friend of mine does this--she uses inexpensive perfumes that she likes but doesn't wear.
    I spray my vacuum cleaner bags (just before use) with Elizabeth Taylor Gardenia , purchased for under 10 USD.
    You don't have to spray before *each* use--at least no with this particular perfume!
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I can confirm this works with Hugo Boss fragraces, I use it with my Aromax Aromatherapy diffuser, its a pretty fantastic idea and to my surprise its very economical too.

Blog Entries

l never saw this thread before. What a brilliant idea, Hillaire! l love the idea of finding out what a perfume might smell like on someone else, without actually having to spray anyone with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    Bumping this thread b/c I was searching to see if anyone had posted this fragrant tip.
    A friend of mine does this--she uses inexpensive perfumes that she likes but doesn't wear.
    I spray my vacuum cleaner bags (just before use) with Elizabeth Taylor Gardenia , purchased for under 10 USD.
    You don't have to spray before *each* use--at least no with this particular perfume!
    After seeing it suggested on basenotes, l place a cotton wool pad next to the filter in my vacuum cleaner, soaked with a few drops from samples l liked but didn't love. That way l can change the scent at will. And indeed one pad will last for several uses, gently scenting the air each time.

Quote Originally Posted by rosewond View Post
    I can confirm this works with Hugo Boss fragraces, I use it with my Aromax Aromatherapy diffuser, its a pretty fantastic idea and to my surprise its very economical too.

Ooh l do like that one, do they come in different colours?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Yeah its pretty nice Teardrop, I think they came in a few colours actually take a look: http://store.air-aroma.com/aromax

I have a red one, its quite bright so if you want it to be more subtle then I guess maybe silver or something would be better. Im going to experiment with more perfumes on the weekend. Will post if it works well with more than just Hugo Boss.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rosewond View Post
    Yeah its pretty nice Teardrop, I think they came in a few colours actually take a look: http://store.air-aroma.com/aromax

I have a red one, its quite bright so if you want it to be more subtle then I guess maybe silver or something would be better. Im going to experiment with more perfumes on the weekend. Will post if it works well with more than just Hugo Boss.
    Thanks rosewond, l love the purple one, but l'm quite shocked at how expensive these are! l'll need to research other options, l think. l would not expect to pay more than 50 for something like this. (Around $80?) Anyone know of any good ones in this price range?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Teardrop I've had a few other scent diffusers. I can recommend , http://www.synergyessentialoils.com/...utput-diffuser , it worked quite well and comes in the price range you mentioned.

With mine the wood base ended up stained from the oils though and it made a a little too much noise for my liking so I went all out and got the Aromax which has so far been much more durable. Good luck! Let me know if you find any other worthy diffusers!

I almost forgot to mention I scenting a few drops of Lola by Marc Jacbos last night, worked beautifully.

Blog Entries

Thanks again rosewond! The nebulising one looks nice, but a bit fragile. l actually liked Hillaire's idea of scenting the little pads with perfume, rather than being restricted to using essential oils, & so l think a fan-driven diffuser is the way to go, or perhaps one of those plug-in ones. l'm having trouble finding anything as pretty as those Aromax ones though; most of the ones l've found look very cheap & plasticky. Yes l know, l am quite picky, sorry!

Hehe exactly the reason I went with it Hard to find anything that doesnt look tacky / plasticky. Might be worth starting a Thread on it.