Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Do you avoid using some of your fragrances during certain seasons?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

42 66.67%
  • No

21 33.33%

Arrow Do the seasons control your fragrance selection?

I wear Opium in the summer!
    Last edited by Spray; 15th February 2010 at 04:34 PM.

Default Re: Do the seasons control your fragrance selection?

There is only one season over here..hot and humid all year round. So anything goes for me.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    There is only one season over here..hot and humid all year round. So anything goes for me.
    I would melt over there!

I voted no, because I live in So. Cal where we don't get freezing temps... however my EDC collection I usually do save for the very hot summer months... so I guess my answer is yes and no.

Some fragrances are better for certain weather conditions. I'm already getting ready for the warmer weather by recently buying the following:

Azzaro Now
    Chic for Men
    L'eau Par Kenzo Eau Indigo Homme
    Kenzo pour Homme Fresh

I also just ordered Body Kouros so I hope I can get some use out of it before the really hot weather hits.
    Last edited by Ronin; 15th February 2010 at 05:12 PM.

I voted "no" also. I think I manage to enjoy all my scents regardless of the weather. Of course some work well in complimentary climates, but I don't let it prevent me from enjoying them.

We have much less of a summer/winter change than some climates, about 5C-10C in winter and 18C-22C in summer, but I only tend to enjoy my greens and lighter florals in the warm season ( citrus and aquatics are never on the table for me ). I wear orientals any time of year, though.

winter , summer there is a huge difrence in my selection ...

No.

I generally see fragrances as 'day' and night' fragrances. I guess my day fragrances are more summery, and my night fragrances more wintery... but I wear them depending on the occasion not the season.
    Last edited by RDFCHarry; 15th February 2010 at 05:23 PM.

Yes, absolutely. For 9 out of 12 months of the year the average daytime temperature here is at least exceeding 80 degrees F. Anything under 70 degrees is an excuse to bust out some of my fall/winter scents, and my heavy-hitters will come out under 60 degrees. My wardrobe is excessively tilted towards fresh scents because of this - I really, really have to like a heavy scent (or get a really good deal on it!) to add it to my wardrobe. Light ones will be added with little digression though.
    I refuse to sink.

I found it interesting that when I was in Florida last summer, everything smelled better to me, even heavy orientals. I still don't like Black Orchid half as much here and now as I did there and then, in 30C+ and humid weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I found it interesting that when I was in Florida last summer, everything smelled better to me, even heavy orientals. I still don't like Black Orchid half as much here and now as I did there and then, in 30C+ and humid weather.
    The thing about hot weather is that the top notes seem to sparkle for a lot longer. For example, when I wear Monsieur Balmain in the winter, it quickly becomes a sandalwood scent instead of a lemony scent. If I exhale on my wrist and then sniff it, I'll be able to smell the lemony top again, even if it's hours and hours after application. Hot weather is great for top notes!

Sur la Plage

I live in Florida, but when I go to work or most other places it is in a "temperature controlled" environment (i.e. they have air conditioning). So I wear whatever I want. It could be a heavy oriental, it could be something citrusy - depends on my mood. I may choose to wear something lighter only if I am going to be outside in hot weather for some extended period of time - like a barbeque at someone's house, a sporting event, etc.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I wear all kinds of scents any season, but I tend to pick more green/floral ones when it's not winter, so my answer is "yes".

Basenotes Plus

Not in the least. I just tend to apply lighter/heavier as appropriate. Anything goes anytime.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 15th February 2010 at 05:48 PM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    Same here. Dry around the year-end.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Blog Entries

"Control" is too strong a word. The seasons definitely influence my choices in the case of some fragrances. In spring/summer I favor my citruses, lighter soliflores, fig; fall/winter sees me wearing more of the richer, woodsy, jasmine-y, berry, amber notes. But these are not absolutely relegated to their preferred seasons.

I voted "no" although I used to be very strict about my "seasons." I've realized that I can have a different experience with an oriental in warm weather and greens, citurs, and vetivers are interesting in other temperatures also. I'm still selective about this but not nearly as strict as I used to be. It's mostly mood and occasion and then the temperature.
    However, certain combinations just don't work for me. For example, Villoresi's Vetiver was too muddy smelling when I tried it in rainy weather. I enjoy more of a dry earthy effect from it so I like to wear it in warmer, drier weather.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I live in Florida, but when I go to work or most other places it is in a "temperature controlled" environment (i.e. they have air conditioning). So I wear whatever I want. It could be a heavy oriental, it could be something citrusy - depends on my mood. I may choose to wear something lighter only if I am going to be outside in hot weather for some extended period of time - like a barbeque at someone's house, a sporting event, etc.
    I look forward to this day - but as a college student and employee at a grocery store, I spend a good amount of time outside. When I get that office job indoors I'll be able to wear anything.
    I refuse to sink.

For the most part. Chance and Tabac Blond bloom on me in the heat, so I save those for spring and summer. Chanel 22 is a little strong in the heat, a little too tenacious and powdery. I'm looking forward to marinating in Bal a Versailles this summer, though.

Fracas, which I bought for summer, actually diminishes in the heat and is a much nicer cool weather scent. My gourmands are strictly cool weather, and my florals, with the exception of 22 and Fracas, are strictly warm weather. I'll probably play around with this more in the coming years.

Seasons have no effect on my choice of scent.

Yes, no, maybeso. I wear all of my scents all the time, but some things perform better, and I prefer them more, in winter months or summer months.

Well, I used to, in my younger years, when I was very careful about summer/winter and causal/formal boundaries, yet I voted for now, because lately I found a delight in wearing even some of my heaviest frags in summer and my lightest frags in winter.

I try to avoid citrus/aquatics in snowy weather like we're having now, but that's just a personal preference.

I wear whatever I crave, irrespective of whether it's officially appropriate for the current season. However, the seasons control my cravings with puppet strings, so, in the end, yes.

In Croatia winters can get to minus 15 C and summer to +35 Celsius, so my answer is yeah.

Not really. There are some fragrances that I prefer to wear in cooler weather, Zagorsk smells much more crisp and "alive" at 10F than it does at 80F, and there are others that I prefer to wear in the heat (Red Vetyver, Harissa) but I often wear my "winter frags" in summer and my "summer frags" in winter.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Absolutely 100% not. Yes the weather can affect my cravings, but I wear all my fragrances year round.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Yes.....I have my summer scents and my winter scents.....I'm so ready for warmer weather.....I can't wait.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by RDFCHarry View Post
    I wear them depending on the occasion not the season.
    This is pretty close to my strategy.

Yes.

Somehow one spritz of Antaeus, Eau d'Hermes or MKK in the desert heat is one too many.

However it is unquestionably everyone's constitutional right to overspray heavy powerhouse oriental frags, if he so wishes.

Hm . . .I feel a conspiracy theory evolving:

Perhaps that's why they invented A*Men?

Keep Cool,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 16th February 2010 at 07:25 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Definitely! In Putrid conditions...IE; 35+ Celsius, Some Musks and Incense frags can bee too gosh darn over-bearing! Though anything under...consider me sold!!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket