Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Where do you stand on the dry, woody/incense frags?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always liked them.

    64 83.12%
  • I never liked them.

    3 3.90%
  • I liked them at one time but not at this point.

    4 5.19%
  • I used to dislike them but now like them.

    6 7.79%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 44 of 44
  1. #31

    Default Re: Is the dry, woody/incense fad over now? POLL.

    I'll be the first to admit that I did not want to spend an hour doing research on a topic that wasn't really relevant, because the idea of a perfume "fad" lasting from ancient Egypt to today's "West" is so ridiculous that I just didn't want to get insulting about it. That said, if you think a claim on wikipedia is wrong, then go ahead and make your argument. Your statement makes it sound like there is more false than true information on it, which is difficult to believe when it comes to this kind of information (historical and not politically relevant today). If you are correct, then the same could likely be said about most history textbooks. In any case, your citation does not make it sound like the modern frags I mentioned anyway. But if the claim was that these kinds of frags are naturally pleasant to most people, the clear facts are indisputably against it. Another thing is certainly true, and that is that your sense of smell is very different from many who consider themselves frag aficionados, because most of the reviews of that Miglin frag (here and elsewhere) talk about it as very strong and anything but "bland."

  2. #32
    N_Tesla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Center of the Universe; California.
    Posts
    4,599
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Is the dry, woody/incense fad over now? POLL.

    Incense is the dark haired lady of mystery who, clad in silk moves effortlessly behind the open door of passion and intrique beguiling your entry with sultry airs of the far east.

  3. #33

    Default Re: Is the dry, woody/incense fad over now? POLL.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I'll be the first to admit that I did not want to spend an hour doing research on a topic that wasn't really relevant, because the idea of a perfume "fad" lasting from ancient Egypt to today's "West" is so ridiculous that I just didn't want to get insulting about it.
    When I originally mentioned ancient Egypt and Nefertum, I was attempting to illustrate a point (and failing miserably by the looks of it). Obviously there is not an unbroken tradition of perfume from ancient Egypt to modern niche houses. I figured that was self-evident. I was simply attempting to point out that people have been drawn to these kinds of smells throughout the ages. There is a primitive zeitgeist that this type of scent seems to tap into. I was responding to your comment "time will tell if they are timeless." People have been burning Frankincense, Myrrh and aromatic woods for centuries. From my point of view that points to some evidence that these sorts of fragrance profiles could easily be considered timeless already. As this fad dies out in the fragrance houses, many will continue to be attracted to these types of scents as they have been for centuries. The niche market didn't create incense and woods. Many people on these boards in fact have been burning frankincense and myrrh on charcoals long before many of these houses were even in business. So, that's my point: Incense is a timeless scent. Dry incense and woods is as timeless as it gets when it comes to perfume. Egypt was just a symbol of how these perfumes "hearken back to something ancient." It appears my symbolism was incoherent.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 16th February 2010 at 09:03 AM.

  4. #34

    Default Re: Is the dry, woody/incense fad over now? POLL.

    It might be over for some of the mainstream frags to cease woody/incense frags...thus There are soo many people and "frags" that are still vigor about Woody/Incense frags...Like me!! Thus I would never say that I'll conclude to this type of scent...Yet I could possibly move on then to recuperate and start from where we left!

    Cheers!

    - Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

    - Anonymous

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

  5. #35

    Default Re: Is the dry, woody/incense fad over now? POLL.

    Haha...Oh and Mrclmind..I got your little Epigram :P
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

    - Anonymous

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

  6. #36

    Default Re: Is the dry, woody/incense fad over now? POLL.

    Back to the present... Hypes are by definition short-lived, no? Incense was once today's aoud, which has replaced it as flavour of the month. I agree with whoever said up there that many of the incense-woody-thingies have proven themselves to be modern classics though; they're just not talked about incessantly as their owners have settled into long-term relationships with them. Me, I still like my Tam Dao & Ouarzazate.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

    Douglas Adams

  7. #37
    Frag Bomb Squadron XIII
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7,808

    Default Re: Is the dry, woody/incense fad over now? POLL.

    I don't really care about fads. As long as a fragrance smells good, of high quality construction and composition, I say "Spray away...!"
    Currently wearing: Sartorial by Penhaligon's

  8. #38

    Default Re: Is the dry, woody/incense fad over now? POLL.

    I think more of the incense frags will survive than the oud ones, from western houses...

  9. #39

    Default Re: Is the dry, woody/incense fad over now? POLL.

    Xxxxxxx
    Last edited by mrclmind; 16th February 2010 at 08:18 AM.

  10. #40

    Default Re: Is the dry, woody/incense fad over now? POLL.

    i guess i dont really get the concept of dryness in scents .. for eg. CDG's Incense Series has this moist/cold accord running thru it in Avignon, Kyoto and Zagorsk. Zagorsk could be the only one which could be termed as close to dry. even with L'Air, i find it's sweetness a bit syrupy to be generalised as dry. also Hinoki, i find it to be juicy at first, thereafter wet.

    to my nose; Ambre Russe by Parfums d'Empire, Padparadscha by Satellite, Querelle by Parfumerie Generale et al are dry, wood; incense based scents. im still not over these kinda scents.. i guess it's here to stay.
    Last edited by jenson; 16th February 2010 at 09:18 AM.

  11. #41

    Default Re: Is the dry, woody/incense fad over now? POLL.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    That said, if you think a claim on wikipedia is wrong, then go ahead and make your argument. Your statement makes it sound like there is more false than true information on it, which is difficult to believe when it comes to this kind of information (historical and not politically relevant today). If you are correct, then the same could likely be said about most history textbooks."
    "If I am correct?" I showed you the incorrect text on wiki, the source that the author(s) of the wiki article link to as a citation for that thext and how the wiki text and the actual article they cite differ (not only differ but are mutually exclusive); in a not so unimportant way. And to jump from a wiki being blatantly wrong on at least one point to claiming that the same can be said about history textbooks is just a very bad inference.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    "In any case, your citation does not make it sound like the modern frags I mentioned anyway."
    I never claimed that the ancient formulas smelled like any modern fragrances; that was a claim that you made in post #9 "Supposedly, the Miglin Pheromone for men frag is the closest thing to an ancient Egyptian frag", and it was that point that I was arguing against.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    " But if the claim was that these kinds of frags are naturally pleasant to most people, the clear facts are indisputably against it."
    No, this was not a claim that I made nor intimated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    "Another thing is certainly true, and that is that your sense of smell is very different from many who consider themselves frag aficionados, because most of the reviews of that Miglin frag (here and elsewhere) talk about it as very strong and anything but "bland."
    A fragrance does not have to be weak to be bland; a strong fragrance can be just as insipid and uninteresting as a weak fragrance. The two terms are NOT mutually exclusive. Futhermore, "bland" is a subjective term; what you or I find bland may not be what another finds bland and vice versa. So to claim that I must have a poor sense of smell (and then imply that what I have to say is of little value) because I do not agree with other basenoter's claims that Miglin Phermone is not bland is just a bad argument (and also a use of an informal fallacy, which just compounds its "badness").
    Last edited by surreality; 16th February 2010 at 07:37 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

  12. #42

    Default Re: Is the dry, woody/incense fad over now? POLL.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Is that fad going to be over anytime soon?
    It's interesting how fads/trends are recycled so quickly in the high speed world we live in now. 25 ago, when I started working in the fashion industry, big shoulder pads, slim skirts, and hard lines were the only look, then Giorgio Armani came along, ripped out the pads and the structure and made everyone look like they were relaxed, confident and androgynous, a true revolution. In the reactionary 90s, the late 50s, feminine stereotypes re-emerged, girlie looks ruled with a vengeance, and reached the ultimate expression of degradation in the personification of Monica Lewinsky. All that behind us, we thought, we arrived in the 2000s and all of a sudden, every trend that ever existed came back simultaneously. Short skirts, long skirts, boob jobs, preppy, lounge music, rock, Mad Men, Oceans Eleven, giant shoulder pads, and on and on. The only common factors were hype and cultural amnesia.
    I think a fad is only as good as the ideas behind it. Aoud is being used in so many different levels of the fragrance ingredient industry, some are smart and some are banal. Forget about trends as they don't exist anymore, there are only two things that create popularity: big budgets and word of mouth. I prefer the word of mouth, viral, no budget approach as it's most often generated by actual human interest.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 16th February 2010 at 06:37 PM.

  13. #43
    Moderator
    Sugandaraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    6,765

    Default Re: Is the dry, woody/incense fad over now? POLL.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    It's interesting how fads/trends are recycled so quickly in the high speed world we live in now. 25 ago, when I started working in the fashion industry, big shoulder pads, slim skirts, and hard lines were the only look, then Giorgio Armani came along, ripped out the pads and the structure and made everyone look like they were relaxed, confident and androgynous, a true revolution. In the reactionary 90s, the late 50s, feminine stereotypes re-emerged, girlie looks ruled with a vengeance, and reached the ultimate expression of degradation in the personification of Monica Lewinsky. All that behind us, we thought, we arrived in the 2000s and all of a sudden, every trend that ever existed came back simultaneously. Short skirts, long skirts, boob jobs, preppy, lounge music, rock, Mad Men, Oceans Eleven, giant shoulder pads, and on and on. The only common factors were hype and cultural amnesia.
    I think a fad is only as good as the ideas behind it. Aoud is being used in so many different levels of the fragrance ingredient industry, some are smart and some are banal. Forget about trends as they don't exist anymore, there are only two things that create popularity: big budgets and word of mouth. I prefer the word of mouth, viral, no budget approach as it's most often generated by actual human interest.
    It's interesting to read this. I think there is definitely a parallel in the music of the past decade. If anyone who misses the music of their youth, they just aren't looking hard enough, as good '60s, '70s, '80s and so forth music is being made now. There's a widespread polystylism if you look beyond the top ten of pop, and even there you see incursions from different styles and past decades.

  14. #44

    Default Re: Is the dry, woody/incense fad over now? POLL.

    I think Timbuktu and Kyoto are timeless masterpieces, and I can't imagine ever tiring of those two. Is it an over-copied genre? Probably.

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for a WOODY Iris
    By mtgprox05 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 26th December 2009, 07:16 PM
  2. ...and MORE bl***y woody amber
    By hirch_duckfinder in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 3rd January 2009, 07:45 PM
  3. Woody Violets
    By Haunani in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 15th December 2008, 08:14 PM
  4. Real Incense vs Burned Incense
    By LuciusVorenus in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 9th August 2008, 02:42 PM
  5. Suggestions for semi-sweet/woody/incense frags
    By sentient in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 19th August 2007, 06:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000