Code of Conduct

Thread: Peony???

Cool Peony???

I absolutely love the smell of Peonys.

I already own the really old Pleasures flanker "Peony Garden" and Guerlains Idylle. Do you have any suggestions, what else I should sample?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Magoylyn
    Last edited by Magoylyn; 16th February 2010 at 05:04 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Peony???

Interesting question! I typed Peony onto the perfume directory's perfume name field and came up with this (I have not smelled any of these) :
    http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...&submit=search

If you type peony into the fragrance notes field, it gives you 4 pages of perfumes that have peony listed as a note.

No doubt people will come along with their personal recommendations.

Thanx, 30 Roses! I didn┤t think of using the database... )

Magoylyn, where do you live? If in Europe, Zara stores do a great Peony Perfumed Water. It is dirt cheap, but actually manufactured by Spanish giants Puig, and smells a lot more expensive. Well worth sniffing.

I think Annick Goutal's Quel Amour is also a lovely peony scent.

Aqua Allegoria Pivoine Magnifica by Guerlain is very pretty, IMO.

Oh goodness, I have been on the lookout for a peony fragrance for a BN friend for 3, no 4 (!) years and we still have not found what we are looking for.

The closest to nature, the truest peony is Ava Luxe Peony, I am not sure about its the availability where you are or on Etsy. It starts intoxicatingly floral with acidic pink peony undertones and then goes too powdery on me (no, I am not against powder in my fragrances, but here I feel it is slightly out of context). Serena, if you are reading this and planning to reformulate this, please make it a tad sweeter, would you?

Another contender would be Histoiries de Parfums Vert Peony which I have also tried and find acceptable but not very true to the real flower. Available through many etailers, one of them is Beauty Cafe.

BTW, this BN friend likes Yves Rocher Pour Desir de Peony that I have had a chance to try just recently -- a far cry from Yves Rocher discontinued Peony scent that I used to buy back in the early 90s.

Noa has a white peony note, I believe, although it is certainly not a soliflore!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Demeter offers a peony that's gotten good reviews.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

YSL 'Elle' has peony listed and then there is always Stella McCartney 'Stella In Two - Peony'.

This sounds like a job for Annick Goutal. AG really needs to make a Peony Soliflore! If anyone can do it, AG can ;-)

The closest I've come to real peony is Histoires de Parfums Verte Pivoine.

People say Bond No. 9 Chelsea Flowers has a lot of peony but I don't really get it myself.

But I haven't actually smelled true peony in fragrance before so perhaps I don't know what I'm looking for (I tried the Ava Luxe Peony and thought it was dreadful. Probably can't find it now anyway).

Thank you so much for all your suggestions!!!! A lot to sample !

I┤m not only looking for Soliflore Peonys but perfumes with nice peony accords like the above mentioned Idylle and Garden of Pleasures. I also love the peony heart of Ineke┤s Chemical Bonding and I┤m considering to get it this spring... )

Mago

There was a scent called "Pivoine" by Yves Rocher in the 80ies... in a white opaque bottle. It was the best Peony i remember...
    Guerlain's Pivoine Magnifica is not bad at all but fleeting, (new) ChloÚ features a nice Peony note, too. Idylle features a Peony note, that is correct, but it's not a "Peony-scent" per se.
    Other that contain it in a more or less dose: Pleasures, Chinatown, Truth, Marine Groove.
    What about Angel Pivoine for a patch-peony? :-)
    Last edited by lillie; 17th February 2010 at 12:38 PM.
    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
    Edgar Allan Poe

http://perfumum.blogspot.com/

Parfums de Nicola´ Rose Pivoine is nice but smells quite differently on different people so do sample it first. And, as lillie mentioned, Bond No 9 Chinatown contains peony ~ and is probably the most interesting fragrance I've tried that uses it.

Becker BE has quite a bit of it but it is hard to recommend BE. I enjoyed it at first but after using one spray too many on one occasion, I haven't wanted to wear it since.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 17th February 2010 at 03:37 PM.
    "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." -Benjamin Franklin

Calvin Klein Eternity Moment has peony in the heart, and Acqua di Gio has a peony top note.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVogue View Post
    I am a white flower junkie looking for a peony fix today and I was going to try this one but it got such a send up from LT (ôlike chewing tin foil while staring at a welding arc.ö)

I smelled the new Chloe (someone threw in a mini of that with another order)
    and liked it...Any peony insights today???

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

How about Ellen Tracy Ellen tracy or the first Curve by Liz Claibourne?

Have you checked L'Occitane yet? They had Paeonia (EDT) last year--a greenish, pink peony scent. A few weeks ago, I noticed Peony EDP at one of their stores. I thought it was pleasant.

Blog Entries

Those both sound promising! Thank you !!! This flower is so wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVogue View Post
    +1 for Pivoine Magnifica

Also, try Stella-In-Two by Stella McCartney. You can buy the separate solid amber scent to blend the scents, but the EDT will stand on its own.

+1 Two scents of peony, one EDT and one EDP, by L'Occitane. Very green and fresh.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    ...I was going to try this one but it got such a send up from LT (“like chewing tin foil while staring at a welding arc.”)...
    Love the metaphor, and he's probably right. Most of the Aqua Allegorias were/are pretty pointless.

Dia for Men is easy for a woman and full of peonyishness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post

Also, try Stella-In-Two by Stella McCartney. You can buy the separate solid amber scent to blend the scents, but the EDT will stand on its own.

+1 Two scents of peony, one EDT and one EDP, by L'Occitane. Very green and fresh.
    The reviews of the Stella look promising, with comparisons to my beloved NR for her! Off to find a way of smelling it...thank you!

Glad I saw this thread. I've been noticing that peony is one of my favorite scents in both Lancome O d'azur and Versace Bright Crystal. I will try some of these perfumes on this thread. You might try those two.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Peony???

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    +1 for Pivoine Magnifica

I bought the Stella peony scent unsniffed - based on the recs here- and it is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much for pointing me in the direction of my vegan-designer idol! Miss Stella M. , love the peony scent! Light and lovely and fresh...perfect!
    Maybe I'll search the l'occitane next!