Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 56 of 56
  1. #31

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    I wore this yesterday. Two full sprays (one to neck; one to chest) lasted ALL DAY on me. I applied at 8:00 AM and I could still smell it at 9:30 PM last night. Great sillage and staying power. It's an energetic scent for me, especially in Winter.

    The most powerful Creed I've every smelled. Very pleasant, modern and upbeat.

    Could I live with just Creeds in my 'drobe? Easily, especially now that Aventus is on the scene.

  2. #32

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I wore this yesterday. Two full sprays (one to neck; one to chest) lasted ALL DAY on me. I applied at 8:00 AM and I could still smell it at 9:30 PM last night. Great sillage and staying power. It's an energetic scent for me, especially in Winter.

    Could I live with just Creeds in my 'drobe? Easily, especially now that Aventus is on the scene.
    "I'm sick of these types at the moment." OK, I see the 'moment one year ago ' has changed

  3. #33

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    "I'm sick of these types at the moment." OK, I see the 'moment one year ago ' has changed
    I reserve the right to be as fickle as a fourteen-year-old girl! LOL!!

  4. #34

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I reserve the right to be as fickle as a fourteen-year-old girl! LOL!!
    Right granted

    I'm even more fickle... A week ago I thought I would buy BdP, but I'm fed up with it totally. I don't like it now at all, somehow that world - along with PdN New York- is not mine, at all.

  5. #35
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    11,765

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    I have both. Yes Joop and Original Santal are similar, though Joop is the sharper and more potent - you'd never confuse them in a side by side comparison.

    But from memory, I think Original Santal is more similar to some of the Joop summer flankers like Beach Clubbing and Summer Temptation, both of which are softer versions of Joop Homme. It's not similar to other summer flankers such as Hot Contact or Electric Heat though.
    Regards,
    Renato

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    629

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    I am not a fan of OS. Tried it in a dept store several years ago....bit meh IMO. Tried again recently as a free sample with a Creed purchase - one of the most nauseating fragrances I have tried. Is there much batch variation known here?

  7. #37

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    Recently got a sample of this from nordstroms. It smelt fantastic on paper. When I tried it a few days later I was utterly repulsed by how it smelt on my skin. I waited about an hour or two for it to get better and eventually gave up on it. I couldn't take it anymore and had to scrub my hand. Unfortunately it didn't come off all the way and I kept getting whiffs of it. Waste of money IMO.

  8. #38

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    I have tried it, and it`s quality-stuff indeed. I like it, but it`s too sweet for me to wear. I`m surprised this candy-sweet scent is marketed for men..

  9. #39

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    It's a million dollar version of Joop. Extremely classy, sophisicated, and has powerful sillage and staying power. I do get lots of favorable comments when I wear OS. Highly recommend it....

  10. #40

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    Every time I smell this from my sample, There is something there I like very much. -But also elements that I`m not sure aboute. Maby it`s the "candy" sweetness? It`s very modern, and definitively a "head-turn" fragrance. If a woman smell this on a man, I think she will eat him up! ;-)

  11. #41
    volley2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Posts
    5,351

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    Original Santal reminds me of Joop Homme that's why I did but this frag.

  12. #42

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    I really do like it! Not something I could wear everyday, but really nice. Typically when I go to the Creed counter they end up spraying this one for the lady friend.

    I am currently contemplating between this and Individual by Mont Blanc.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel! Edit: 2015... I've given up and given in
    Want to buy or swap: A*men Ultra Zest, Bentley Intense, Mont Blanc Legend Intense, Paco Rabanne Invictus,

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    363
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    It is just about the only Creed that I would ever want an FB of. I think I said in another thread that it is a lot like Versace's The Dreamer. Better, maybe.

  14. #44
    Basenotes Member wilburntv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    Yea it definitely reminds you of joop! An ex gf gave me joop years ago, but it was waaay to strong and overpowering for my liking. This is more refined and classier. I thoroughly enjoy this 1, not an everyday scent but it is a go to when going out to luncheons and the like
    Midnight in Paris 5 STARS
    Pure Malt 5 STARS
    Rose 31 5 STARS

  15. #45
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    346

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    Original Santal = Mont Blanc Individuel.

    Save yourself the money

  16. #46
    Dependent fragranceman88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dundee, Scotland
    Posts
    2,157

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    I can't comment on the Koop comparison as I haven't smelt it but...OS smells awesome. I own nothing like it and frankly I think I will always have a bottle

  17. #47

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    What do you guys think of this one? I have read that it`s very similar to Joop Homme? Is that true?
    Guys, get You some original sandalwood oil instead. I think of genuine santalum album from East India.

    I can't imagine any perfumer to replace the aroma of that with a better concoction. As to smooth out some tart middle note I use real orris butter in pretty small doses (money wise) and some fancy lavender / leaf alcohol on top to gather interest and hide the solvents a bit.

    Notice, it's utterly genuine non synthetic East Indian sandalwood and costs me in perfume concentration about 30$ per 100ml. It lasts all day and night long and smells marvelous.

    If You dare to compare, why bother with cheap substitutes if You can have the original real thing instead? Gucci vs. Chanel vs. Creed vs Joop, c'mon ...

  18. #48
    Dependent LloydLlewellyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    1,693

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    I find it boring, and I am a fan of gourmands! This one smells synthetic and dull IMO.

  19. #49

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,420

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    I love Org. Santal & it's in my top 3 favorite Creeds (along with Virgin Island Water & Aventus). It's a wonderful cold weather fragrance & I especially enjoy the fruity/herbal top phase of this one. (juniper berry, coriander, & orange blossom).

    Also, as someone else pointed out, if you like OS, be sure & check out Mont Blanc Individuel. It's very similar, but holds onto more of that fruity herbal feel in the drydown instead of going to tonka & vanilla like Org. Santal (this tonka/vanilla can kinda make Org. Santal's later stages a bit "lipsticky" smelling as it blends with the fruity topnotes).
    Currently wearing: AB Spirit Silver by Lomani

  20. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Guys, get You some original sandalwood oil instead. I think of genuine santalum album from East India.

    I can't imagine any perfumer to replace the aroma of that with a better concoction. As to smooth out some tart middle note I use real orris butter in pretty small doses (money wise) and some fancy lavender / leaf alcohol on top to gather interest and hide the solvents a bit.

    Notice, it's utterly genuine non synthetic East Indian sandalwood and costs me in perfume concentration about 30$ per 100ml. It lasts all day and night long and smells marvelous.

    If You dare to compare, why bother with cheap substitutes if You can have the original real thing instead? Gucci vs. Chanel vs. Creed vs Joop, c'mon ...
    A valid comparison question.

    To me, perfumery is an art, and the extent to which I trust my own skills is all I have to hold up against those of guys like Bourdon, Creed, etc. No offense WildThingy, but I trust their skill a little more than yours and mine - those who feel they are able to concoct better things in the comfort of their own homes are faced with one question: why aren't they working for a perfume company? Not to say that what you've described doesn't smell good - I'm sure it does. But would I pay top dollar for it? If so, why would I bother making it myself? And if I could make it myself, why bother with any perfume at all?

    To the OP - thank you for starting this thread. I've read it, and as a big fan of Joop! Homme, I'm inclined to give OS a try. One of a few masculine Creeds I haven't encountered yet.

  21. #51

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    A valid comparison question. ... able to concoct better things ... But would I pay top dollar for it? ... if I could make it myself, why bother with any perfume at all?
    The starting point of my observations is the name 'ORIGINAL Santa' which induces the expectation this fragrance was true to its eponymous ingredient.

    A very good sandalwood, a genuine and pure one is available for about 30$ per 5ml. To have it in bearable concentration this would give 100ml of a hefty spray - let it just warm up a little ... .

    Could You tell why the industry, Creed in this case needs to replace such a cheap material? They would have 400% profit with every bottle! Why is it that they expect You to pay them a 4000% profit? And most of the expenses on their side are done to confuse customers about the 'original' in their santal!

    Sorry guys, I didn't want to spoil You conversation. But to discuss the best sandalwood smell would start smelling the real stuff. Then it depends on taste whether or not You go back to the so called 'original' thing.

  22. #52
    bokaba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    3,317

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    Very similar to Joop and not good quality at all especially at the cost. From Creed I'd go for Bois de Santal or even Santal Imperiale. If BdS is unattainable, I would give Lorenzo Villoresi Sandalo a try--it is truly the best extant sandalwood fragrance.

  23. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    The starting point of my observations is the name 'ORIGINAL Santa' which induces the expectation this fragrance was true to its eponymous ingredient.

    A very good sandalwood, a genuine and pure one is available for about 30$ per 5ml. To have it in bearable concentration this would give 100ml of a hefty spray - let it just warm up a little ... .

    Could You tell why the industry, Creed in this case needs to replace such a cheap material? They would have 400% profit with every bottle! Why is it that they expect You to pay them a 4000% profit? And most of the expenses on their side are done to confuse customers about the 'original' in their santal!

    Sorry guys, I didn't want to spoil You conversation. But to discuss the best sandalwood smell would start smelling the real stuff. Then it depends on taste whether or not You go back to the so called 'original' thing.
    Original Santal is "original" precisely because the sandalwood note is mixed within a specific composition that isn't identically duplicated elsewhere. Hence the term "perfumery" applies.

    Not buying that true Mysore sandalwood is that cheap, either. High quality sandalwood is getting very hard to source. Synthetics last longer and the best synthetics smell very much the same.

    Just putting sandalwood oil on your skin is a good idea if you love the scent of sandalwood, but it isn't perfumery. There's no art involved there.

  24. #54

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    Original Santal is "original" precisely because the sandalwood note is mixed within a specific composition that isn't identically duplicated elsewhere.
    ...
    Just putting sandalwood oil on your skin is a good idea if you love the scent of sandalwood, but it isn't perfumery. There's no art involved there.
    From this I get the 'original' is not meant to be true to the genuine stuff but first of all to itself whatever it is. That's a connotation I didn't get, thank You. In roman languages such a use of 'original' would be read as ironic. Example given, a misfit person, a sidewalk sleeper could be 'original'.

    Language besides, real mysore is unaivalable - could be. But there are other sources for really good sandalwood.

    Yes, its not perfumery to just use that. But from what I heard both, Joop and Creed are badly gone wrong attempts to be perfumery. Even here on basenotes with lots of Creed devotees particularly 'Original Santa', whatever that means, is far more than less considered dispensable. That said, a non-perfumery alternative may yield some reasoning.

    Eventually I don't think that Creed is replaceable for cheap - Green Irish Tweed <=> Cool Water. Creed is about having really spent that money. Exactly that gives rise to self confidence, and I bet that's all about it.

    Have fun, guys!

  25. #55

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    In roman languages such a use of 'original' would be read as ironic.
    Here is the translation:

    He / she / (it?) is a one-off.

    A one-of-its-kind said with a twinkling eye. And such 'original santal' seems to be - in case You forget about it resembling Joop.

  26. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Creed Original Santal

    Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    From this I get the 'original' is not meant to be true to the genuine stuff but first of all to itself whatever it is. That's a connotation I didn't get, thank You. In roman languages such a use of 'original' would be read as ironic. Example given, a misfit person, a sidewalk sleeper could be 'original'.

    Language besides, real mysore is unaivalable - could be. But there are other sources for really good sandalwood.

    Yes, its not perfumery to just use that. But from what I heard both, Joop and Creed are badly gone wrong attempts to be perfumery. Even here on basenotes with lots of Creed devotees particularly 'Original Santa', whatever that means, is far more than less considered dispensable. That said, a non-perfumery alternative may yield some reasoning.

    Eventually I don't think that Creed is replaceable for cheap - Green Irish Tweed <=> Cool Water. Creed is about having really spent that money. Exactly that gives rise to self confidence, and I bet that's all about it.

    Have fun, guys!

    They're definitely polarizing scents, although I wouldn't classify them as "badly gone wrong attempts at perfumery." One is an international best-seller for over two decades, and the other is popular enough for its niche manufacturer to keep it in production for seven years.

    Interesting take on the concept of "original," though, I didn't realize there were different language connotations there.

Similar Threads

  1. Original Santal by Creed
    By donna255 in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23rd August 2005, 09:47 AM
  2. Creed Original Santal
    By Dennis in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th August 2005, 11:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000