Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Creed Original Santal

What do you guys think of this one? I have read that it`s very similar to Joop Homme? Is that true?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Creed Original Santal

I love it. Passionately.
    Yes, it is quite similar to Joop but softer, far more refined and no where near as tenacious. Fruit, cinnamon and sandalwood with just the right amount of sweetness. I also find it quite similar to Dunhill Desire Red. Projection and staying power are just right when applied lightly.

Original Santal smells to me like a better crafted quality version of Joop. When I look at the price of the Creed compared to Joop Pour Homme my hand would never reach my wallet. Amouage's Reflection also smells like a lighter soapy version of these two as well.

I don't own Joop, but I do have Original Santal and I think it's fantastic.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't like it. I think it is too sweet.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

It is OK. I had it for a while, but then grew tired of it - so sold it off.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

IMO Creed Original Santal is to Joop as Green Irish Tweed is to Cool Water. I can see why people would say they are similar, but I don't really see a great comparison.

I personally love Original Santal. Good longevity and sillage too.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it and thought it was okay. Not something I'd want to invest in a full bottle of though.
    ~Mark~

Post Thanks / Like

I think JOOP and OS are dead ringers. I have owned both numerous times. I'm sick of these types at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Sampled it, not impressed. Not worth buying a bottle.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I hate Joop, but love Original Santal. I don't really see the similarity apart from fleetingly. Joop is clumsy and over-blown whereas OS is well crafted with clearly better ingredients.

Original Santal is not too sweet to me, but then I don't mind sweet fragrances. The sillage and longevity are excellent too.

It's the only Creed I've ever really liked enough to go bottle-worthy with - and that's from someone who is not a huge Creed fan.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Post Thanks / Like

To me, it's a lot sweeter than Joop. Smells to me like a cheap, synthetic sandalwood aromachemical mixed with Dentyne Cinnamon Gum. It's awful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    To me, it's a lot sweeter than Joop. Smells to me like a cheap, synthetic sandalwood aromachemical mixed with Dentyne Cinnamon Gum. It's awful stuff.
    Lol - I guess in two posts we have pretty much polarised opinion!
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Post Thanks / Like

It's opening notes are surprisingly similar. Shocked me. "THIS IS A CREED?!?!?"

But if you like a scent like that, you should at least sample it. It is liked by more than a few people. Too sweet and "JOOP-IE" for my tastes. I would agree with all previous posts that say it is higher quality/better executed than JOOP!

Post Thanks / Like

I also find it surprising that this was a creed.
    Yes, there is some redeeming thing in Joop's drydown besides the megadose of Coumarin(tonka), but Creed could have subdued this much more and included a large helping of actual sandalwood oil, and it might have some win to it. But as it is currently formulated, it is by far my least favorite unisex/masculine Creed.

Post Thanks / Like

This is by far the worst Creed that I have tried/owned. Unfortunately it has the best longevity amongst all the Creeds. What a shame.

Post Thanks / Like

If I reveal that this was also "composed" by Pierre Bourdon, will many opinions here flip-flop/change ?
    Last edited by zztopp; 18th February 2010 at 02:58 AM.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    If I reveal that this was also "composed" by Pierre Bourdon, will many opinions here flip-flop/change ?
    Not me. I can respect his talent and body of work, but not everyone hits it out of the park every trip to the plate. Just can't hang with this one.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 18th February 2010 at 03:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I love both Green Irish Tweed and Kouros, but if you told me P. Bourdon also created Original Santal, I'd still hate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    What do you guys think of this one? I have read that it`s very similar to Joop Homme? Is that true?
    It is Joop Homme IMO.

Not into Joop, yes into OS. In moderation only, though, and I wear it mostly at home. It's a bit on the sweet side for public wearing, unless you actually want to shock total strangers with your candy-sweet smell. Unlike other Creeds for sure. A little goes a long way. You can buy just the small travel size and have a supply for many years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Not into Joop, yes into OS. In moderation only, though, and I wear it mostly at home. It's a bit on the sweet side for public wearing, unless you actually want to shock total strangers with your candy-sweet smell. Unlike other Creeds for sure. A little goes a long way. You can buy just the small travel size and have a supply for many years.
    I`ll drop this one.. No doupt!

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll drop this one.. No doupt!
    It's your call Oslo...JOOP has it's fans and this is a better version of it. It's not a "bad" scent, just unexpected for many of us who like a lot of Creeds and don't care for JOOP.

Why... was it mentioned in the new " Michael Edwards Fragrances Of The World" edition?
    Last edited by eric; 18th February 2010 at 08:01 PM.

Being something of a contrary person, I just like OS. I get a lot of compliments from women when I wear it. You can tell it's been put together by a perfumer who understands blending and balance by the way it evolves.

I actually think it's very very good. But then I am just judging the fragrance on its own merits and not on some perceived reverie of the house that put it out.

Post Thanks / Like

My opinion won't change but I'm curious as hell. So was it?
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

First time tried it on tuesday. Not an everyday scent, and I guess it can be overwhelming if not applied lightly. Nevertheless, I owned and used up a big bottle of Joop way back before Christ, I know what I say - OS is a way better scent, not the same league. Sophisticated and classy, a great scent.

Original Santal share similarities with Montblanc Individuel?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Original Santal share similarities with Montblanc Individuel?
    In a sense - yes. Among the reviews you can find a comment on that, as I remember. But Individuel is way too synthetic, so I can find no real comparison between OS and that one.

I'm not sure if I use the correct word, but I guess Individuel is boozy, from the beginning for a good dose of time. Both being rather sweet and spicy, I didn't find this boozy-ness in OS at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I wore this yesterday. Two full sprays (one to neck; one to chest) lasted ALL DAY on me. I applied at 8:00 AM and I could still smell it at 9:30 PM last night. Great sillage and staying power. It's an energetic scent for me, especially in Winter.

The most powerful Creed I've every smelled. Very pleasant, modern and upbeat.

Could I live with just Creeds in my 'drobe? Easily, especially now that Aventus is on the scene.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I wore this yesterday. Two full sprays (one to neck; one to chest) lasted ALL DAY on me. I applied at 8:00 AM and I could still smell it at 9:30 PM last night. Great sillage and staying power. It's an energetic scent for me, especially in Winter.

Could I live with just Creeds in my 'drobe? Easily, especially now that Aventus is on the scene.
    "I'm sick of these types at the moment." OK, I see the 'moment one year ago ' has changed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    "I'm sick of these types at the moment." OK, I see the 'moment one year ago ' has changed
    I reserve the right to be as fickle as a fourteen-year-old girl! LOL!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I reserve the right to be as fickle as a fourteen-year-old girl! LOL!!
    Right granted

I'm even more fickle... A week ago I thought I would buy BdP, but I'm fed up with it totally. I don't like it now at all, somehow that world - along with PdN New York- is not mine, at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I have both. Yes Joop and Original Santal are similar, though Joop is the sharper and more potent - you'd never confuse them in a side by side comparison.

But from memory, I think Original Santal is more similar to some of the Joop summer flankers like Beach Clubbing and Summer Temptation, both of which are softer versions of Joop Homme. It's not similar to other summer flankers such as Hot Contact or Electric Heat though.
    Regards,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a fan of OS. Tried it in a dept store several years ago....bit meh IMO. Tried again recently as a free sample with a Creed purchase - one of the most nauseating fragrances I have tried. Is there much batch variation known here?

Recently got a sample of this from nordstroms. It smelt fantastic on paper. When I tried it a few days later I was utterly repulsed by how it smelt on my skin. I waited about an hour or two for it to get better and eventually gave up on it. I couldn't take it anymore and had to scrub my hand. Unfortunately it didn't come off all the way and I kept getting whiffs of it. Waste of money IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried it, and it`s quality-stuff indeed. I like it, but it`s too sweet for me to wear. I`m surprised this candy-sweet scent is marketed for men..

It's a million dollar version of Joop. Extremely classy, sophisicated, and has powerful sillage and staying power. I do get lots of favorable comments when I wear OS. Highly recommend it....

Post Thanks / Like

Every time I smell this from my sample, There is something there I like very much. -But also elements that I`m not sure aboute. Maby it`s the "candy" sweetness? It`s very modern, and definitively a "head-turn" fragrance. If a woman smell this on a man, I think she will eat him up! ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Original Santal reminds me of Joop Homme that's why I did but this frag.

I really do like it! Not something I could wear everyday, but really nice. Typically when I go to the Creed counter they end up spraying this one for the lady friend.

I am currently contemplating between this and Individual by Mont Blanc.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is just about the only Creed that I would ever want an FB of. I think I said in another thread that it is a lot like Versace's The Dreamer. Better, maybe.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea it definitely reminds you of joop! An ex gf gave me joop years ago, but it was waaay to strong and overpowering for my liking. This is more refined and classier. I thoroughly enjoy this 1, not an everyday scent but it is a go to when going out to luncheons and the like
    Midnight in Paris 5 STARS
    Pure Malt 5 STARS
    Rose 31 5 STARS

Post Thanks / Like

Original Santal = Mont Blanc Individuel.

Save yourself the money

Post Thanks / Like

I can't comment on the Koop comparison as I haven't smelt it but...OS smells awesome. I own nothing like it and frankly I think I will always have a bottle

Guys, get You some original sandalwood oil instead. I think of genuine santalum album from East India.

I can't imagine any perfumer to replace the aroma of that with a better concoction. As to smooth out some tart middle note I use real orris butter in pretty small doses (money wise) and some fancy lavender / leaf alcohol on top to gather interest and hide the solvents a bit.

Notice, it's utterly genuine non synthetic East Indian sandalwood and costs me in perfume concentration about 30$ per 100ml. It lasts all day and night long and smells marvelous.

If You dare to compare, why bother with cheap substitutes if You can have the original real thing instead? Gucci vs. Chanel vs. Creed vs Joop, c'mon ...

Post Thanks / Like

I find it boring, and I am a fan of gourmands! This one smells synthetic and dull IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Org. Santal & it's in my top 3 favorite Creeds (along with Virgin Island Water & Aventus). It's a wonderful cold weather fragrance & I especially enjoy the fruity/herbal top phase of this one. (juniper berry, coriander, & orange blossom).

Also, as someone else pointed out, if you like OS, be sure & check out Mont Blanc Individuel. It's very similar, but holds onto more of that fruity herbal feel in the drydown instead of going to tonka & vanilla like Org. Santal (this tonka/vanilla can kinda make Org. Santal's later stages a bit "lipsticky" smelling as it blends with the fruity topnotes).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Guys, get You some original sandalwood oil instead. I think of genuine santalum album from East India.

I can't imagine any perfumer to replace the aroma of that with a better concoction. As to smooth out some tart middle note I use real orris butter in pretty small doses (money wise) and some fancy lavender / leaf alcohol on top to gather interest and hide the solvents a bit.

Notice, it's utterly genuine non synthetic East Indian sandalwood and costs me in perfume concentration about 30$ per 100ml. It lasts all day and night long and smells marvelous.

If You dare to compare, why bother with cheap substitutes if You can have the original real thing instead? Gucci vs. Chanel vs. Creed vs Joop, c'mon ...
    A valid comparison question.

To me, perfumery is an art, and the extent to which I trust my own skills is all I have to hold up against those of guys like Bourdon, Creed, etc. No offense WildThingy, but I trust their skill a little more than yours and mine - those who feel they are able to concoct better things in the comfort of their own homes are faced with one question: why aren't they working for a perfume company? Not to say that what you've described doesn't smell good - I'm sure it does. But would I pay top dollar for it? If so, why would I bother making it myself? And if I could make it myself, why bother with any perfume at all?

To the OP - thank you for starting this thread. I've read it, and as a big fan of Joop! Homme, I'm inclined to give OS a try. One of a few masculine Creeds I haven't encountered yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    A valid comparison question. ... able to concoct better things ... But would I pay top dollar for it? ... if I could make it myself, why bother with any perfume at all?
    The starting point of my observations is the name 'ORIGINAL Santa' which induces the expectation this fragrance was true to its eponymous ingredient.

A very good sandalwood, a genuine and pure one is available for about 30$ per 5ml. To have it in bearable concentration this would give 100ml of a hefty spray - let it just warm up a little ... .

Could You tell why the industry, Creed in this case needs to replace such a cheap material? They would have 400% profit with every bottle! Why is it that they expect You to pay them a 4000% profit? And most of the expenses on their side are done to confuse customers about the 'original' in their santal!

Sorry guys, I didn't want to spoil You conversation. But to discuss the best sandalwood smell would start smelling the real stuff. Then it depends on taste whether or not You go back to the so called 'original' thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Very similar to Joop and not good quality at all especially at the cost. From Creed I'd go for Bois de Santal or even Santal Imperiale. If BdS is unattainable, I would give Lorenzo Villoresi Sandalo a try--it is truly the best extant sandalwood fragrance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The starting point of my observations is the name 'ORIGINAL Santa' which induces the expectation this fragrance was true to its eponymous ingredient.

A very good sandalwood, a genuine and pure one is available for about 30$ per 5ml. To have it in bearable concentration this would give 100ml of a hefty spray - let it just warm up a little ... .

Could You tell why the industry, Creed in this case needs to replace such a cheap material? They would have 400% profit with every bottle! Why is it that they expect You to pay them a 4000% profit? And most of the expenses on their side are done to confuse customers about the 'original' in their santal!

Sorry guys, I didn't want to spoil You conversation. But to discuss the best sandalwood smell would start smelling the real stuff. Then it depends on taste whether or not You go back to the so called 'original' thing.
    Original Santal is "original" precisely because the sandalwood note is mixed within a specific composition that isn't identically duplicated elsewhere. Hence the term "perfumery" applies.

Not buying that true Mysore sandalwood is that cheap, either. High quality sandalwood is getting very hard to source. Synthetics last longer and the best synthetics smell very much the same.

Just putting sandalwood oil on your skin is a good idea if you love the scent of sandalwood, but it isn't perfumery. There's no art involved there.

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    Original Santal is "original" precisely because the sandalwood note is mixed within a specific composition that isn't identically duplicated elsewhere.
    Just putting sandalwood oil on your skin is a good idea if you love the scent of sandalwood, but it isn't perfumery. There's no art involved there.
    From this I get the 'original' is not meant to be true to the genuine stuff but first of all to itself whatever it is. That's a connotation I didn't get, thank You. In roman languages such a use of 'original' would be read as ironic. Example given, a misfit person, a sidewalk sleeper could be 'original'.

Language besides, real mysore is unaivalable - could be. But there are other sources for really good sandalwood.

Yes, its not perfumery to just use that. But from what I heard both, Joop and Creed are badly gone wrong attempts to be perfumery. Even here on basenotes with lots of Creed devotees particularly 'Original Santa', whatever that means, is far more than less considered dispensable. That said, a non-perfumery alternative may yield some reasoning.

Eventually I don't think that Creed is replaceable for cheap - Green Irish Tweed <=> Cool Water. Creed is about having really spent that money. Exactly that gives rise to self confidence, and I bet that's all about it.

Have fun, guys!

In roman languages such a use of 'original' would be read as ironic.
    Here is the translation:

He / she / (it?) is a one-off.

A one-of-its-kind said with a twinkling eye. And such 'original santal' seems to be - in case You forget about it resembling Joop.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

From this I get the 'original' is not meant to be true to the genuine stuff but first of all to itself whatever it is. That's a connotation I didn't get, thank You. In roman languages such a use of 'original' would be read as ironic. Example given, a misfit person, a sidewalk sleeper could be 'original'.

Language besides, real mysore is unaivalable - could be. But there are other sources for really good sandalwood.

Yes, its not perfumery to just use that. But from what I heard both, Joop and Creed are badly gone wrong attempts to be perfumery. Even here on basenotes with lots of Creed devotees particularly 'Original Santa', whatever that means, is far more than less considered dispensable. That said, a non-perfumery alternative may yield some reasoning.

Eventually I don't think that Creed is replaceable for cheap - Green Irish Tweed <=> Cool Water. Creed is about having really spent that money. Exactly that gives rise to self confidence, and I bet that's all about it.

Have fun, guys!

They're definitely polarizing scents, although I wouldn't classify them as "badly gone wrong attempts at perfumery." One is an international best-seller for over two decades, and the other is popular enough for its niche manufacturer to keep it in production for seven years.

Interesting take on the concept of "original," though, I didn't realize there were different language connotations there.