Code of Conduct

Default Could this be a fake angel?

I recently purchased a refillable EDP Angel from fragrancenet.com
    For a variety of reasons, I have a feeling it is a fake.

The box was somewhat thin, not the thick, sturdy kind high-end perfumes usually come in. After a while, I noticed the perfume doesn't last much at all. Granted, I am one of those people with body chemistry that seems to eat any perfume alive in just a few minutes, but still - Angel is supposed to be a very strong, long-lasting perfume. Also, the top of the bottle is a little shaky, loose.

The other day I was in Nordstroms and looked at their Angel bottle. It had Thierry Mugler written on the top, mine doesn't have that signature. The Nordstroms bottle was a tester - but I don't see why regular bottles for sale would not have the same signature as a tester. And yes, their top was not loose, shaky like mine is.

Finally, I asked the sales lady to give me a sample of Angel to compare it at home with what I have, as I suspect a fake. She did - and I proceeded to do the test at home.

At first, they basically smell alike, but I don't really have a good nose to detect very specific notes in perfumes or slight differences between them. After a while though, there seems to be a difference in intensity/lasting power between the sample from Nordstroms and the one I purchased. The one from Nordstroms seems to last longer, it does not disappear as fast. But then again, I have moments when I think it might be all in my head, now that I am so suspicious.

Based on these symptomps, what is your opinion? Did I get a fake?

Thank you so much.

Default Re: Could this be a fake angel?

Could you post a pic? That would help the people here... Many of them know their stuff...

I don't think major online e-tailers will risk selling fakes, but the fakes are getting very good out there. I even bought a scent at a drugstore in the U.S. (chemists) and found half the bottom tag was cut off. Ditto for an item on Amazon.com

Your producy may have been old stock. Who knows?

Perhaps they were grey market items?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thanks so much, I will come back with pictures.

What is the "gray market"?
    Last edited by syracusa; 17th February 2010 at 11:02 PM.

Gray market goods are halfway between the black market of illegal items and the 'white' market of regulated trade; a legal gray area. Gray market goods are items intended for sale for a certain market (and conform with that market's regulations) that have been diverted to a different point of sale. Distributors will buy a license from a parent company giving them the rights to sell the product in a certain market or country, sometimes for less than the usual production cost. Dishonest distributors can then turn around and sell their products in other markets that will pay more for the goods, even though the goods may not be of the same quality or nature as the similarly named product legally sold in that region.

As a consumer, stuff initially intended for different market doesn't sound so "dangerious" for me, should they still be real, shouldn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by j_mysscent View Post
    As a consumer, stuff initially intended for different market doesn't sound so "dangerious" for me, should they still be real, shouldn't they?
    Yes they are real.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by j_mysscent View Post
    It depends. I'd very much doubt your gray market fragrance is going to give you dioxin poisoning but who knows? I'd assume gray market goods are pretty close to their regular counterparts but you might be buying a watered down version.

I purchased Angel perfume from an ebay seller. The product was visibly a fake, to anyone already familiar with the legitimate product. It also smelled different.

I took photos and submitted everything to ebay's complaint department. I have little confidence, however, that anything will be done to stop it. In fact, I am convinced they could care less - especially since my phone call was routed to India or some other third-world country. One thing is for certain - I'll never again buy anything from ebay.

Here's the photos which show a LEGITIMATE product and the COUNTERFEIT fake I received in the mail:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9070936...in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9070936...in/photostream

Buying from a reputable e-tailer is different from eBay. With eBay, it's always "buyer beware."

I am sorry for your misfortune, but thank you for warning others.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I have bought mine from The perfume warehouse, lasts only 4-5 hours then airs out, No compliments as of yet . Seral code scratched off/[IMG]C:\Users\Quazi\Desktop\2012-04-26 19.42.01.jpg[/IMG]

I can't answer the question of whether or not it's real but I can relate this story to you and hope it helps.
    I am a huge Urban Decay cosmetics fan. I bought a U.D. product from an ebay seller and knew immediately that it was counterfeit. The tube looked almost identical but the lettering was a little bit off and the product consistency was completely wrong. I bought the same product directly from U.D and there was absolutely no question of the ebay productbeing real at all. It simply wasn't.
    I contacted e-bay. They spoke to the seller who agreed to refund my money once the product was returned to them. I sent the product out only to have it returned to me because the seller gave me a fake address. I contacted ebay again, they refunded me the money.
    After I left negative feedback for the ebay seller, the seller sent me a couple of nasty emails. They even said, "U.D. knows my name very well since every time I place an order with them, U.D. calls me to ask why I'm ordering so much. You can sue me but you'll lose. I'm not bluffing LOL".
    ~sigh~
    So I took pictures of both of the tubes of primer potion and emailed them to U.D. along with what the seller said. U.D.'s customer service responded in a couple of hours confirming that the product was counterfeit and they then contacted ebay to have their products removed from that seller's store.
    The store is now shutdown.
    My advice would be to take pictures of what you suspect to be fake (including the box if you still have it). Contact a customer service rep at Thierry Mugler and ask if they can tell you.