Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why are so many new members fascinated by Creed?

I ask this out of genuine curiosity. This is not an attempt to fan the flames of Creed bashing or of Creed adulation. So please try to answer my question sincerely without resorting to rancor or to ecstasy.

I've been on the board for three years now and I've continually seen new members come along who always seem to ask specifically about Creed, especially in terms of being a niche house.

Why does this one house fascinate new members so much? Why do so many new members seem fixated on Creed and not any of the other niche houses? Why not Malle or Lutens or L'Artisan or MPG or PG or Diptyque or Villoresi or Profumum or any of the others? Sure, those houses have their partisans among newbies, but not like Creed. How does Creed get into the minds of many of our new members and become more important to them than other houses?

Is it word of mouth? Is it advertising? Is it reputation or legend? What distinguishes Creed from other worthy niche houses in their minds? What does the trick?

I'm curious as to why this one house seems to have this effect on so many newbies and new participants on this board. I'm hoping to get some responses from relatively new members who have expressed interest in Creed products.

Thanks!

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 17th February 2010 at 03:33 PM.

Dependent

Default Re: Why are so many new members fascinated by Creed?

That is a good question. I do not see more Creed discussions than compared to other houses. I figure maybe it is the easier availability of Creed? More widespread marketing? I do see Creed at some discounters as well. I remember as a very green newbie I saw much more Creed mentions in threads, posts and discussions than now. I do recall Creed being introduced to me as my first niche house. I don't know for sure since Creed here in Singapore is not any more or less available than say Lutens, L'Artisan, TDC, but I do get a sense that Creed is a more mainstream niche house. Compared to PG which I can only find online, as with MPG and many others, Creed just seems easier to source for and sample in person, at malls or shops. I guess I can only speak for a very small segment (or alone) since I'm in Singapore, and majority of members are in North America, EU. Just my 2 cents. I do own and love quite a number of their products...
    Last edited by MFJ; 17th February 2010 at 03:47 PM.

This is going back to around 2006/2007, but when I first came to basenotes, I knew nothing about niche houses. Somehow, somewhere, I heard about Creed and it was my first exposure to "fragrance that you couldn't buy at a Macy's". (Well, actually Hermes was, but that's another story). So Creed was intriguing to me a bit of a mystery.

With time it became less of a mystery and I became much more aware of other houses, largely due to basenotes.

I can't speak for others, but I suspect that my experience is similar to a lot of people that come here.

I'm curious about this too. Personally, I sampled a few Creeds that seemed likely to win me over when I was new to this, but none of them really "stuck". Me and that house have never gotten along.

It may be different in other parts of the world, but here the Creed name has no presence and no meaning to ordinary fragrance users, so I do wonder where new members get their curiosity about this house in particular ( given the huge quantity of niche houses at the moment ).

I think Creed has the most established name among niche houses, and they have a strong distribution network. Looking back on my pre BN days, Creed was one line I was quite familiar with through conventional cologne counter shopping. Fabricated or not, many of the SAs I dealt with fully pushed the Creed mystique aggressively (the history, the "all natural" ingredients, the celebrity aura).
    I don't know that they do enough advertising to make an impact, but maybe.

Plus price. Though there are many pricier offerings, the Creeds were the first male frags I ran across that represented such a leap in price from more standard designer offerings. Shallow though it may be, when you've been used to paying $60 or much less for a frag and run into something that costs double, it gets your attention.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 17th February 2010 at 04:03 PM.

Great Marketing.
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

I think Creed appeals to newbies for the following reasons:

1. They presents themselves as the Cadillac of fragrances.
    2. They go easy on the gender role/designation challenge, unlike houses such as Lutens and L'Artisan.
    3. Their offerings are readily available online, discounted, sometimes quite heavily. Unlike Lutens, L'Artisan, Malle, etc.
    4. Their most famous creation, Green Irish Tweed, smells like one of the most successful, mainstream masculine creations of all time: Cool Water.

In other words, non-threatening luxury for the masses. But, it's also a real guy thing, I don't believe women are as seduced by Creed as men are. Perhaps Annick Goutal is the feminine counter point to Creed?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 17th February 2010 at 04:51 PM.

The interest in Creed probably feeds itself. It gets a lot of chatter, therefore it develops a kind of mystique...why is everyone chattering about Creed?? Therefore, there is more chatter. Therefore the chatter continues.

For instance, some newbie is going to see this thread and wonder, consciously or not, what it is about Creed that merits a thread solely about why members ask about it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Plus price. Though there are many pricier offerings, the Creeds were the first male frags I ran across that represented such a leap in price from more standard designer offerings. Shallow though it may be, when you've been used to paying $60 or much less for a frag and run into something that costs double, it gets your attention.
    Also agree with this. Due to Creed's popularity and availableness compared to other niche houses, there's a good chance Creed will be the first knowledge a newbie will have of the very existence if expensive niche perfume (this was the case for me). I think this tacitly makes Creed the benchmark, standard niche house in many minds, rightly or not.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 17th February 2010 at 04:00 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I think it's because Creed is the first accessible 'niche' house that comes our way. They're, for the most part, well made fragrances that boast quality ingredients.
    Although 'niche', their blends don't leap into the abyss of utter obscurity. They stick to a lot of the comfortable framework of designer and 'classic' scents -not to mention we can find them in some upper end department stores rather than exclusive niche stores that may seem daunting at first.
    And yeah, their marketing...that enchants for the first five minutes before becoming laughable.
    I remember about five years ago many of us Basenoters went bonkers over Creed before moving on to bigger and better things.
    I still think Creed is a great house -maybe not the best, but Creeds actually make up a greater portion of my own wardrobe.

Creed was my introduction to niche scents and brought me to basenotes when I was searching for other creeds apart from GIT. For me they are accessible to buy in stores and stood out from the designer scents. First impressions count and when I went into the department store they stood out all on display in their alcoves with a light shining down upon them. And a lot of them are so easy to like especially when you have only experienced Aqua Di Gi and Le Male and other designer scents as your benchmark.

Is Creed considered niche? They have been around since 1760. Plus, Walgreens and Costco sell Creed! I am always kind of confused about what is and is not considered "niche".
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Its easier to pronounce then some of the other foreign niche scents. Its easier to walk in and ask an SA for Creed then it is for "the Serge guy"

I never knew when I just started out that there were fragrances even more expensive than designer frags at the mall. Creed was the first niche line I noticed in the classier department stores in town. But it was the price that was a real eye opener as the average Creed retails at double and sometimes triple the price of an average designer frag (which is already expensive for the average guy). After my exposure to Creed I started to notice other niche houses like L'Artisan and A.Goutal. I've always considered Creed as the beginner's niche frag in BN.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC View Post
    Its easier to pronounce then some of the other foreign niche scents.
    You're right, if someone is intimidated by a name they often avoid the product.

Creed is like marijuana. It is the gateway drug to more hardcore niche houses.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I will borrow from my own experience to try and answer the OP's question.

One thing new members learn very early on BaseNotes is that there is a larger and more esoteric world outside of department store/mall designer offerings. One of the first "niche" brands people hear or read about is Creed. Creeds are also easily accessible to the new-comers once they are convinced the frags are worth their high prices. Consequently, it becomes the most sought-after entry-point into the world of niche. Hence the discussion. Again, this is just from my perspective alone.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I can only speak from personal experience. I had first heard about Creed through a magazine article (maybe Playboy) that dealt with "timeless fashion for men" and featured a write up on Cary Grant. The article went on to mention that GIT was his favorite fragrance and listed the Creed weblink. Out of curiosity I check it out. Hell, if Cary Grant wore it, it's probably something worth looking into, right? I checked out the website but was initially turned off by the prices.

Later, as my interest in fragrances grew, I found my way here and one of the first things I checked out was the Basenotes Awards page. What I noticed very quickly was that GIT ranked in the top 3 for several years running. So, with THAT kind of endorsement, how can a newbie NOT be curious about both this fragrance in particular and the house in general? I eventually got a bottle and have not regretted it. It's a wonderful fragrance and I get a lot compliments on it.
    Last edited by markb; 17th February 2010 at 04:22 PM.
    ~Mark~

Quote Originally Posted by Furriner View Post
    Is Creed considered niche? They have been around since 1760. Plus, Walgreens and Costco sell Creed! I am always kind of confused about what is and is not considered "niche".
    I don't think being "niche" is predicated upon where they're sold, it's because they don't make anything else but toiletries. They're not like, say, D&G who also make clothing.

To be honest, the reason i was so attracted to creeds initially was purely due to the fact that they were one of few lines available at Saks, which is the nicest dept store in town. This glamourized them to a point that i had to try them, along with bond no. 9's. Once i had tried them i was really drawn to their stringer and more natural smell. Soon after i came to basenotes and slowly but surely started testing other niche products.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    You're right, if someone is intimidated by a name they often avoid the product.
    I still don't know how to say Thierry Mugler, and A*Men was a big success ( though not with me, it's true... )

Creed is a "gateway drug" into niche perfumery. It's a little more available than other niche brands and they make enough variety to have something for everyone. It was my first fascinating foray into niche back in the late 90's I discovered a progression of Creed's . . . Orange Spice > Zeste Mandarin Pamplemouse > Chevrefueille Original > Erolfa > Silver Mountain Water > Millissime Imperiale > Bois du Portugal ---- then off to CdG and other more interesting things.

I simply think that many members recognize or have heard that this company produces fragrances of quality. Also, perhaps their better marketing and distribution have facilitated the fascination.

I'm very new to the fragrance world and only just discovered BN last week. I definitely fall into the category of the new guy that thinks Creed is the end-all when it comes to quality fragrances. I'm not sure why. I got my first Creed samples right around Christmas (it was MI) and the quality and complexity of it was just other-worldly to me. I never knew a fragrance could be so mesmerizing. I was hooked. So, since then I've acquired 4 bottles (RW, GIT, MI, & SMW). I just love 'em. I'll admit paying such a hefty price for a fragrance makes me feel pretty special - like I'm some hot sh*t or something. I don't know. Foolish, I guess, but the stuff just puts a pep in my step all throughout the day. I've been reading a lot about frags the last few weeks and have been trying to round-out my wardrobe (as far as having something for each kind of fragrance). The only one I don't have yet is a gourmand. I was told to get Body Kouros. Hopefully, as I continue down the road of fragrance knowledge I will become more educated (and sophisticated) regarding other "niche" houses. I guess, in summary, I agree with the earlier post that said Creed is the newbies idea of the "Cadillac" of fragrances. I'm in love with the stuff and am just going to enjoy it until I tire of it. It's great stuff and I can't believe I didn't discover it until I was 32 years old. Pathetic. Anyway, thanks too all of you who are continuing the educate me with your posts and opinions. Merci boucoup...

Maybe I can explain it from someone who was a newbie in 2008 and was enamored by Creed talk. I never knew anything about colognes/scents except that I wore what I liked. I knew nothing of Creed or niche lines. I only knew department store Armani, etc. I thought a Versace like Dreamer or my fave, Burberry London was top shelf in the scent world. Not saying it isn't, just that was my perspective. In 2008 I started google searching for top men's fragrances and found an article that mentioned Creeds, etc. I had no clue what it was. It mentioned this website as a good reference tool and here I am. When you know nothing about something and then you realize there is a massive world that you don't know about it is like a treasure chest. I still am not a fan of alot of niche but I've, as many on here have seen in my thread reviews, gone of niche benders where I've samples a ton. Whole new world. That is Creed to newbies.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 17th February 2010 at 05:17 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I think that the fact that they are an English house with a French veneer gives them a sense of accessiblity to the timid newbie American who may be intimidated by a house that is far removed from anglo culture. I know that for a long time I had been intimidated by multi-syllable named French houses.

Default What's a Creed?

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    This is what got my attention when I first became interested in fragrances. It is more main stream than other niches as well ( or has that appearance). I remember looking at several of the bigger retailers on EBAY and sorted items by price. Creed was top of the list. I thought "Well if it is that expensive, it must be good." Little did I know what expensive or good was. I have learned a little bit since then and know if I want good, I reach for the Axe Body Spray!

Quote Originally Posted by sirsmellzalot View Post
    Foolish, I guess, but the stuff just puts a pep in my step all throughout the day.
    In the end, that is what important- not the price or quality but how you feel. And don't listen to anyone that tells you differently.

Basenotes Plus

Two words: COOL WATER.

Seriously. Almost everyone's heard of Cool Water. And as soon as they hear it is more of a rip off from Creed's Green Irish Tweed, they'd be interested to know more about Creed. That's my half-baked theory anyway... heh.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 17th February 2010 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wooznib View Post
    Great Marketing.
    +1 Simply put.

Nothing has changed much since 2002 when I was a newbie. I found the old yahoo group while looking for Drakkar Dynamik, but quickly found people discussing L'Artisan and Creed. Creed was amongst the very first samples I ever ordered, and I've owned, and still have, numerous offerings from them. In that regard, they're just "topical". People are inquisitive for benchmarks, and whether one likes them or not, they certainly provide that. You can take the likes of Tom Ford Private blends and see that a 8.4oz flacon costs over $100 more than the same sized Creed... But what Tom Ford can't say is that he's been in the business since the 1700's.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Having good availability,to a wide sample of their line, through upscale stores has to be a plus for name recognition. But also, unlike Guerlain, Caron, and Chanel, Creed isn't widely known for feminine clothing, perfume, or toiletries.

The small percent of customers who do need and want something more quirky, individual, luxurious, or edgy can move on without denting either Creed's bottom line or their prestige.

The Creed name maintains a certain mystique from the days when it was a rather exotic brand, but now they are now widely available, so anyone who wants something off the beaten track will most probably bump into Creed very early in their hunt. Where I live there are at least five shops that stock Creed, although there was only one ten years ago. It's now easier to get the big Creeds than some of the Guerlains or Chanels, but the name of the house still has an air of mystery.

Great points everyone.

I find Creed works its way into mainstream media more than other niche or high end designers. I believe they've been in Mens Heath and other similar magazines.

Also, it's helpful that most retailers carry a fairly extensive collection of Creed scents. Guerlain, in contrast, has a huge library but very few can be found at most retailers. Most Saks I've been to have 30+ Creeds but only 4 or 5 Guerlains, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC View Post
    Its easier to pronounce then some of the other foreign niche scents. Its easier to walk in and ask an SA for Creed then it is for "the Serge guy"
    Please read this article about marketing the "historical" aspects of a fragrance house:

http://perfumedpolitics.blogspot.com...-pasts-of.html

Then read Luca Turin for the House of Rance, and also see "The Perfume Handbook" for the House of D'Orsay.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Please read this article about marketing the "historical" aspects of a fragrance house:

http://perfumedpolitics.blogspot.com...-pasts-of.html

Then read Luca Turin for the House of Rance, and also see "The Perfume Handbook" for the House of D'Orsay.
    Great article, thank you for sharing!
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    +1 Simply put.
    As new to the business just as a client Creed stood out several times. Creed seems to bear high reputation among the trained noses. But my built-in BS detector shrilled the alarm.

Creed serves the naive conception of the novice. Precious, raw, natural materials, obscure recipes, enlightened wizards, supernal sensible noses sniffing any obstacle. The result of such has to be unequaled in excellence - and You can buy it, thus participate in the row. It's a rip off, isn't it? But well performed, if not an art in it's own ... .

I think its just that they are so readily available
    I remember when I was really into fragrances my first niche house was also creed, only because it was so easy to obtain online
    their prices made me believe that they were the best, but obviously now after a long tread on the path of fragrances, I do not find it completely true

there you have it!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    there you have it!
    "When not creating new artistry in scent, Mr. CREED is an avid outdoorsman, and his love of nature influences his craft. Yachting and the equestrian art of dressage are among his athletic passions." (Creed)

"When not working alongside his father, Erwin CREED is an avid skier, boxer and race car driver whose love of the outdoors and adventure influences his art of scent.

Born in France and raised in France and Switzerland, he has traveled to more than 35 countries for CREED."(Creed)

unbelievable ... mortifying

Quote Originally Posted by merry.waters View Post
    "When not creating new artistry in scent, Mr. CREED is an avid outdoorsman, and his love of nature influences his craft. Yachting and the equestrian art of dressage are among his athletic passions." (Creed)

"When not working alongside his father, Erwin CREED is an avid skier, boxer and race car driver whose love of the outdoors and adventure influences his art of scent.

Born in France and raised in France and Switzerland, he has traveled to more than 35 countries for CREED."(Creed)

unbelievable ... mortifying
    He's also been to the moon, and discovered the Creed family's earliest offering, a bottle of Green Irish Tweed found in Nefertiti's tomb, while working as a Crypto-Egyptologist for the MIB.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 17th February 2010 at 08:46 PM.

I was more "seduced" into this "hobby" by the notion that really cheap frags could be very good, not that there was some sort of magic smell maker out there, so Creed never made sense to me. I eventually acquired several samples, but I was not impressed by them. The only one I really liked was the new Tabarome, but only for the first hour or so, then it became boring. The only "niche" I have at least one bottle of and wear regularly is Messe de Minuit by Etro.

When I first joined Basenotes some people spoke of Creed as if it was the god of all fragrances so a new member can perceive it as such. I have yet to try a Creed.

You know I would not be surprised if Creeds next marketing campaign stated they have obtained a holy warrant from the Pope to sell the fragrance range in the Vatican and that the Pope got approval from God The Father, God The Son And The Holy Ghost. lol
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 17th February 2010 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    This is going back to around 2006/2007, but when I first came to basenotes, I knew nothing about niche houses. Somehow, somewhere, I heard about Creed and it was my first exposure to "fragrance that you couldn't buy at a Macy's". (Well, actually Hermes was, but that's another story). So Creed was intriguing to me a bit of a mystery.

With time it became less of a mystery and I became much more aware of other houses, largely due to basenotes.

I can't speak for others, but I suspect that my experience is similar to a lot of people that come here.
    The same for me, but now Creed is on the bottom of my list.

Creed was the only niche house that I knew of pretty much when I first got into this game 15 years or so ago, so yeah - marketing, wide distribution, readily available (for a niche) etc etc. I think it's also partly to do with how confident/egotistical Creed are as a company - we all know how much importance the house of Creed weighs on every new and retro (re) release, like it's the greatest scent since...well, the last one. Someone with better knowledge of niches than me may correct me, but I can't think of another niche company which rolls out the red carpet to the same degree that Creed does with its own products. Annoying to some, perhaps, but that's how Creed are as popular as they are and can still turn over a tasty profit with prices most people baulk at.

Reputation, and the constant referral in posts, particularly mentioned in threads that involve, favorite scents, most popular, and most compliments from which fragrance?

Pretty simple.

Having experienced Creed, the scents a good, some amazing, however the price is quite high, and for me the scents simply don't last.

Rather curiosity than fascination.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I have a few theories

The sheer number of new threads that pop up about the house (good or bad)
    Marketing
    Easier accessibility than other "niche" brands. (aka Gateway into Niche)
    Some of the most popular frags (on BN), period.

= A lot of hype, interest, curiosity, however you want to spell it. But it works, And Creed seems to be flourishing.

I've never been that enchanted by Creed, I've always preferred Penhaligon's.

To be honest, it's easy to get too anal about these things. Whatever it takes to lead people into the world of niche is no bad thing. Having said that, I enjoy exploring niche, have a fairly large collection across the board, but now, having smelled some very expensive niche fragrances and bought a fair few, now like being surprised by fragrances I didn't think I'd really like, as I did today with DKNY Delicious Red for men, which smells way more expensive than it should and has some lovely rich accords, plenty of projection and longevity. There is a delicious thrill (no pun intended) in finding something which is unexpectedly good.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Only reason I tried Creed was due to the constant positive reviews on this site. Since I am new to fragrances I decided to try several Creed samples to find which one I liked, only to come to the conclusion that I don't like any Creed fragrances. The main reason I don't like Creed is I find the Millesime base used in many of the modern Creeds bothersome to my nose, and the older fragrances scents are not my cup of tea.
    Last edited by CharlesB; 18th February 2010 at 03:27 AM. Reason: clearifiying.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I still don't know how to say Thierry Mugler, and A*Men was a big success ( though not with me, it's true... )
    Teary MOOglare is I think a rough guide.

I do agree with the post in here that the name CREED is easy to say for anyone and that doesn't hurt. Etat Libre d'Orange, L'Air du Desert Morocain, L'Artisan push the limits for the "French language challenged" among us.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 17th February 2010 at 11:28 PM.

Creed was predominently a clothier until the late 20th century. Then they went into marketing overdrive in order to imply that their core business has been fragrance all the time, which it hasn't. In fact, an historian and several other knowledgable fragrance enthusiasts have not seen any evidence whatsoever that they made fragrances before the 70's. Luca Turin made his opinion of their claimed history clear in his and Sachez's "Perfumes The Guide" and has not been sued.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Black View Post
    Reputation, and the constant referral in posts, particularly mentioned in threads that involve, favorite scents, most popular, and most compliments from which fragrance?

Pretty simple.

Having experienced Creed, the scents a good, some amazing, however the price is quite high, and for me the scents simply don't last.
    Ditto here. If I pay premium for a scent, I am expecting good longevity and sillage. (Black Orchid comes to mind, and also Back to Black.) I was also disappointed with Annick Goutal's Duel. A very pleasant green tea and leather scent, but no longevity and very little sillage.
    Last edited by Primrose; 18th February 2010 at 12:06 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I think that newbies to the board are fascinated by Creed because there are people like 50 Cent that have mentioned the brand in interviews. People want to smell like their pop culture icons.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I remember reading an interview with Olivier Creed several years ago where he said the he didn't use synthetic ingredients, and wouldn't know how to use them. So I suppose he was actually admitting that someone else has considerable input into "his" fragrances It would be nice if they put a few more preservatives in the bottle though. I had one bottle of GIT and one of Mill Imp go off after a few years.

Even if Creed like to lie through their teeth about their perfumes and their heritage, I don't think they would generate so much interest if their perfumes weren't capable of living up to the hype. If the myth were true it wouldn't make the perfumes smell any nicer. Even though I don't wear Creeds anymore, I don't think I was being conned when I used to buy them. I was never looking for some kind of upmarket celebuscent, so it doesn't bother me if Humphrey Bogart actually wore a particular fragrance or not -I figure I know more about perfume than he did anyhow

Still, I would resent paying over the odds if I expected a certain ingredient got a cheap imitation.

I agree with the comment about the Basenotes awards and GIT showing up multiple years. When I first arrived here the first samples I ordered were TDH and GIT. I then spent more time researching Hermes and Creed based on those samples, both of which I liked and ordered bottles shortly thereafter. I still consider myself a newbie but I've learned a lot since joining, and Creed was a stepping stone into more niche houses as well as lesser known scents.
    Trying to make the world a better place, one sniff at a time

I'll try in a ranked list of reasons why someone who never wore a CREED scent before would be so eager to try them prior to other niche houses:

1. Frequent recommendations of CREED scents from veteran members with excellent taste.
    2. Strong Brand Identity and overall aesthetic appeal
    3. The range of Creed being so wide across many fragrance types and families
    4. The frequent mentions of just how natural smelling and high quality many Creed scents are.
    5. Greater availability and ease of sampling when compared to other high end niche

One could make these claims/etc for another house, but the claim wouldn't hold up as well, because the scents themselves, from the older private collection, to the newer releases, are often the best of their type. I have yet to find a house which has as many great scents, in as many families, as Creed has. Even the scents I don't like or would never wear, I have respect for. It's imo the greatest house for male fragrances.

Because whether you like it or not they create some damn good frags and as of late have been the most consistent of the big name houses.
    -

Simple, clean, not over the top or trying to hard, GIT is basenotes top female compliment getter, a nice break away from complex edgy weird niche scents, casual, versatile, common bloke would probably like it (if you wear for others), work-safe, not a whole lot of synthetics used, some of them make excellent spring/summer scents, Erwin Creed is cute, Madonna to the Pope wears it, etc....

So many new members are fascinated with Creed simply because Kenneth Cole is utterly unfascinating in every aspect and regard .
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

I tend to run away from things that say "I'm Pop Culture" ... for some reason Creed is this. Perhaps it's because as nsamadi said, "Erwin Creed is cute, Madonna to the Pope wears it, etc..."