Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Why are so many new members fascinated by Creed?

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Because Creed only uses 100% natural ingredients!
    "Vetiver (Creed)* Not Vetiver $$$"
    [from Perfumes The A-Z Guide]
    Last edited by narcus; 1st March 2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: orthography
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    "Vetiver (Creed)* Not Vetiver $$$"
    [from Perfunes The A-Z Guide]
    But it's 100% natural not-vetiver!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Well, whatever the reason it couldn't possibly be because they make some really outstanding fragrances, that would be too obvious.

Nor the fact that we keep talking about them.

Then comes the traumatic experience--a rite of passage, really---when one is no longer a newbie and realizes that they've lied when they said that, to take one example, Fleurissimo was created for Grace Kelly-- I have it on good authority it was really for Norma Desmond

At which point the absurdity of creating a fragrance for The Pope drives hordes into the arms of atheism, or worse.
    A belief their molecules are evil and they lie not only in marketing but in the very essence of their construction!
    Their EDP is not a Millesime, or if it is it was invented by Axe, or whomever.

We talk about this incessantly as well

There's also a resentment towards the price, which can only be partially assuaged by entertaining the rumor that Creed has a salt water lake inhabited by whales from which they harvest their vomit (ambergris) guarded by mutant large civet felines.

Yes, Creeds are rather pricey. Are they worth it?

We talk about this incessantly as well

Again, the answer cannot be that they are, if you like their scent. As that too would be too obvious.

Perhaps the reason newbies are fascinated is that we talk--

Naw, that's too far-fetched.

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 21st February 2010 at 09:33 PM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    +1. Perfect. I sampled several in my newbie days, liked Himalaya for about five minutes but lost interest in the drydown. Rarefied niche prices for Axe quality* and duration.

*some smell good and will get you compliments from girls
    This thread hasn't interested me in the least, I'm WAY past my Creed phase. But THIS, I have to take exception to. I've said it more times than I care to admit on these boards, and I guess I need to say it again. I could care less what your opinion on their fragrances, their history, their royal claims, their packaging, their pricing, etc. are. There is one thing, that is in no way debatable, their fragrances of are NOTICEABLE quality. The instant I smelled my very first Creed, Millesime Imperial (which might I add, is not in the top pantheon of Creed creations), I was blown away by just how much better the quality was compared to every single designer scent I had ever smelled. It was obvious, and I think what many people confuse with quality is the actual scent. If your basing your opinions off the Millesime line, the smell isn't going to be outrageously unique, they are meant to sell. But if you pay attention just how buttery smooth, and natural Millesime Imperial or Green Irish Tweed are in comparison to their shrill and chemical cousins in the designer market, there should be no argument. I'm not a Creed apologist, and I'm actually tired of sticking up for them, but IMO it's plain ignorance to claim them of anything but high quality.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    "After being educated"...?

Everyone can't be intellectual and moody and seek out the obscure. Some people just want to have fun and be glitzy and sexy and that's fine.

There's nothing wrong with loving Versace's design or thinking that 1 Million is a great fragrance. It's just a matter of taste and who you aspire to be, sort of. It may not be you, and it may not be me, but we all deserve to be treated with respect and to not be patronized because we don't live up to some arbitrary standard.
    That's why I said, in the end some people still prefer their Creeds etc. They seem to be the first niche or highend that people discover, and have most mainstream appeal. I didn't mean there's something inherently wrong with them. Hell I just bought some Acqua di Gio after owning all sorts of niche, obscure, etc. colognes.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    TThere is one thing, that is in no way debatable, their fragrances of are NOTICEABLE quality.
    No - literally.

I'm tired of the Creed battles on this forum but I have to chip in with my bit on this.

The uniqueness of even the most uninspiring Creed offerings is undeniable. Creed is a "safe" niche brand, with less abstract / esoteric offerings. Of all my niche frags it's the Creeds that are complimented most regurarly. I suspect that's because they've a lower entry barrier as far as appreciation goes.

If one has a gripe with the price, longevity, ambergris drydown or whatever else it may be, that's fine. Perfume appreciation is purely subjective. Claiming that Creed is low quality is the same as claiming that they are the best quality; nearly impossible for us enthusiasts to prove.
    Last edited by jathanas; 22nd February 2010 at 02:09 AM.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    But it's 100% natural not-vetiver!
    +1.

To answer the question, Oliver Creed looks good in a suit, maybe?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976