Code of Conduct

Thread: Diptyque

Default Diptyque

From the Diptyque line which one is the most interesting /strange/weir/ different ? ( if any )
    thanks!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Diptyque

Vinaigre de Toilette and L' Autre

L'Autre in terms of fragrance, but I think Essence Of John Galliano is probably the weirdest Diptyque scent on the market. It's really great, a cacophony of birch bonfire and incense. Unfortunately it's a limited edition, though. I guess there was only so much juice they could squeeze out of one man...

Philosykos - Who would have thought that figs in a scent could be done so well.

Tam Dao - Nice cedar sandalwood scent that makes DIY work most enjoyable.lol

My experience is that the Diptyque scents are wonderful but have no lasting power. I do like L'Ombre Dans l'Eau.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Philosykos - Who would have thought that figs in a scent could be done so well.
    Tam Dao - Nice cedar sandalwood scent that makes DIY work most enjoyable.lol
    I think these two get the most chatter/coverage. Maybe not their "weirdest" since Fig and Sandlewood are both pretty common notes (see the fig thread), but they're probably two of the better ones from the line IMO.
    Jack, if you don't like the price, there are some cheaper "substitutes" like Marc Jacobs for men (more like wet leaves and no creamyness. MJ is like a cold wet rainy day and Philosykos is like a hot sunny one, in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    My experience is that the Diptyque scents are wonderful but have no lasting power. I do like L'Ombre Dans l'Eau.
    I tried this as a body wash. Nice stuff. I recall thinking of white grapes or grape juice in there for some reason.
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 17th February 2010 at 07:15 PM.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I think a lot of these push the envelope. L'Autre is intensely spicy (as in cumin). Oyedo is sort of like tangy-grape candy.

The easiest to wear for me is Tam Dao.

I love Eau Lente, but I wouldn't call it weird.

Philosykos is rather strange to me, despite it being one of the more popular selections from Diptyque...wet, chopped banana leaves with coconut and fig accents.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I am also a fan of Eau Lente.

I have every fragrance put out by Diptyque in my collection and for me Tam Dao and Eau Lente stand out.

Diptyque is one of my favorite houses. I own many of them and have tried nearly all of them. While Tam Dao, Philosykos, Eau Lente, L'Ombre dans L'Eau, Oyedo and others are interesting fragrances, they aren't that strange or different. But all are definitely worth a try!

For interesting/strange/weird/different I would strengthen the above recommendations of L'Autre and John Galliano. I am not familiar with the Vinaigre de Toilette mentioned by Mike, but it sure sounds intriguing. I would also add the original L'Eau Diptyque to the list. It's one of my favorites of the Diptyque line, a clove dominated potpourri bomb which is certainly different than many contemporary fragrances.

noggs

I love this house's products. I own most of the edts. They last shower-to-shower on me, and I suspect would last 36 hours on me if that came to be. I'd like to give a run down on them here, but I think they're wonderful, so I'll say that and leave it at that.

Another weird one that hasn't been mentioned is Ofresia. Amazing stuff. You don't forget it after you smell it.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    That was certainly the problem with my two favorites among the many Diptyques I've sampled: Virgilio and L'Eau Trois. Both are very unusual and wonderful, the former herbal and green, the latter with a wonderful raw (not burning) myrrh note. If only either of these lasted more than an hour or two on me, I'd have sprung for a full bottle! And now they're discontinued, no?

Thumbs up Re: Diptyque

Another one for the magnificent EAU LENTE. I also like very much L'EAU DE NEROLI, L'EAU DES HESPERIDES, L'EAU DE TAROCO, L'OMBRE DANS L'EAU, EAU DE LIERRE, OYEDO....
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Another weird one that hasn't been mentioned is Ofresia. Amazing stuff. You don't forget it after you smell it.
    I do.
    I recall trying Ofrésia up to three times, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was like.

I don't think Diptyque has any out-and-out "weird" scents; just pleasantly uncommon ones. I own big jugs of Tam Dao and Philosykos, decants of Oyédo and Eau Lente and I wouldn't mind owning some L'Eau de Néroli, Essence of John Galliano, Opôné or L'Eau Trois.
    From that list, Oyédo is perhaps the weirdest: smells like sucking on an orange-flavoured hard candy while simultaneously chewing on a sprig of thyme. Whether that sounds pleasant, I'll leave up to you.

Isn't their John Galliano offering a room spray? I've always loved the candle.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    It can be used as a room spray or personal spray - similar to Jo Malone's Living Colognes.

I have a bottle and really like it.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 18th February 2010 at 01:43 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Yes, it is. I wish it wasn't though - it's something I'd spray on skin, for sure, if I wasn't worried about why it wasn't released as a body fragrance. On paper it actually had a distinct development ( incense and smoke to a musky base, not just top notes ).

I wonder if it's safe to wear, or alternatively, spray on clothes. ( Other members feel free to chime in if you have an answer! )

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Yes, it is. I wish it wasn't though - it's something I'd spray on skin, for sure, if I wasn't worried about why it wasn't released as a body fragrance. On paper it actually had a distinct development ( incense and smoke to a musky base, not just top notes ).

I wonder if it's safe to wear, or alternatively, spray on clothes. ( Other members feel free to chime in if you have an answer! )
    It is safe to wear.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Maybe it contains a little too much moss or birch tar for an EdT formulation to comply with European regulations personal fragrance/perfume? There's likely to be some difference between spraying a room with good ventilation and spraying yourself.