Code of Conduct

Default I could use some help from a very refined "nose"

Hi,

I've posted in other sections on the forum about my love of Abercrombie & Fitch's discontinued cologne "Woods."

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120036.html

There are still bottles for sale on Ebay, but they are now approaching $300+ per bottle (which is almost half the cost of a bottle of my other favorite, Number 1). So, I did some research on Google and found a company that works to reproduce discontinued fragrances, and also makes custom-blended perfumes and colognes.

The price was reasonable - $60 for a bottle - and they said they've reproduced Woods before. So, I placed an order, and it arrived a week or so ago.

It definitely isn't Woods. It's reasonably close. If I had to rate it, I'd say it was about a 5 on a scale of 10 in terms of being a duplicate. It's certainly wearable, but not what I was after.

I spoke with a customer service person at the company that made the cologne, and she asked me what I thought it was missing or needed. My biggest issue with it is there is a very distinct "odd" smell when I first spray it - almost "chemically" but not quite. I just can't place this smell, but I think it is overpowering whatever else they might have done to make a good reproduction.

Long story short: I'd like to send samples of this to a few folks who really know their stuff, in the hopes they can give me some advice on what to tell the company needs to be fixed.

As an aside, they sent me a free, smaller bottle of another of their custom colognes as a thank you gift (as I said, these folks are exceedingly pleasant, and I've no issues with them whatsoever) - and the same "chemically" smell is present when I first spray that, as well.

Thanks - I am really, really loving the Basenotes community!

Tom

Blog Entries

Default Re: I could use some help from a very refined "nose"

I've heard of these companies that attempt to match fragrances. The results are never as good as the real thing. Just chalk it up to experience. There may be something out there that you would like even better.

you could try searching around for a few perfumers that actually dwell the boards. i cant exactly remember their name but they are here.

but do try more perfume, like what kumquat said you may find something better.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasFox View Post
    Hi,

I've posted in other sections on the forum about my love of Abercrombie & Fitch's discontinued cologne "Woods."

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120036.html

The price was reasonable - $60 for a bottle - and they said they've reproduced Woods before. So, I placed an order, and it arrived a week or so ago.

It definitely isn't Woods. It's reasonably close. If I had to rate it, I'd say it was about a 5 on a scale of 10 in terms of being a duplicate. It's certainly wearable, but not what I was after.

I spoke with a customer service person at the company that made the cologne, and she asked me what I thought it was missing or needed. My biggest issue with it is there is a very distinct "odd" smell when I first spray it - almost "chemically" but not quite. I just can't place this smell, but I think it is overpowering whatever else they might have done to make a good reproduction.

Thanks - I am really, really loving the Basenotes community!

Tom
    Tom, be VERY wary of these scent-designing companies who purport to make scents that smell like such-and-such. Some actually have FDA action pending citing fraud.

Be sure to try kumquat's suggestion about trying similar scents. If costs are too high for the *real* thing, you can find something similar.
    Last edited by Primrose; 19th February 2010 at 07:37 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.