Code of Conduct

Thread: Ô de Lancôme

Default Ô de Lancôme

I was out to lunch today with mom and decided to stop by local perfume counters. By the time we reached the Lancôme counter I was already wearing three fragrances, but my mother had skin to spare ( why does that sound more grotesque than it should? ), and she liked Ô on the tester strip. The SA, keenly aware that my mother was on a collision course with a high-quality fragrance, was attempting to steer her well away and towards the fruity-florals, but my mother thankfully ignored her.

The top notes got my attention for sure. A really BIG blast of galbanum and bergamot. Despite heading towards more hesperidic territory in the heart ( my mother commented that it smelled like lemon ), the base was the most interesting part to my nose: a big, dark moss note. The development to that point was quite fast, about forty minutes at most by my estimation, but the lasting power has proved excellent on her skin, which if you knew her, is astonishing ( hers is the skin chemistry that makes all but super-tanker orientals vanish in minutes ).

In some ways, my mother has a bit of a tragic relationship with green florals and classic green fragrances in general: she seems to really like galbanum, but not oakmoss-heavy drydowns. For the most part, they just lead to disappointment in the drydown for her, and Ô de Lancôme was no exception. No. 19 smells of stale lettuce to her, and this, apparently, smells like Hai Karate. Never having smelled that I can't comment, but in the fairness of presenting all opinions, the comparison was not meant as a compliment. It may, however, explain this to me: the drydown smells like a Big Green '80s Juice pour Homme, and it's a drydown I just love. While Ô isn't a powerscent, its drydown is very much aligned with that style and notes, at least to my nose.

In many reviews I've seen, Ô de Lancôme is placed as a citrus cologne, a genre I don't warm to at all. Instead, I've found to be an intensely green chypre with a sparkling and slightly bitter hesperidic accord running through the top and heart. I'm shocked it doesn't have more fans here. If Ô de Lancôme was released today, it would likely be a mens' fragrance. But that's extremely hypothetical, given that something like Ô de Lancôme wouldn't be released today at all..

Default Re: Ô de Lancôme

O de Lancome is a really good scent, and smells like it is suitable for either men or women. I always thought of it as a greener and longer lasting Eau Sauvage. Another scent it reminds me of a lot is Givenchy III. I'll bet that if Lancome re-named it, more guys would wear it.

I like this, too, and wear it, especially during warm weather. I agree that it presents no problems for men who wish to wear it. Like you, I consider it a green chypre scent, not a citrus. Unfortunately it is underestimated and nearly forgotten in today's sea of fragrances.

Galamb, I wore O de Lancome many years ago, and I always considered it an eau fraiche-type of scent because of the citrus. If memory serves, a frosted bottle with a clear cap and a very clean scent. It can still be bought at Lancome counters now, and that's nice to hear!

I guess you *are* right that this would be a unisex these days, but I have always enjoyed citrus eau scents. (I seem to recall wearing the very green Tendre Poison Dior around the same time...)

Have you tried Etiquette Bleue by D'Orsay? OK--I know the advertising hype about the Comte d'Orsay supposedly being a parfumeur and making this scent for his English ladylove. A romantic faux marketing legend that even went so far as to have the Comte illustrated *making perfume." If memory serves, it is a very unusual scent, not for everyone, with strong hesperidic notes. In all likelihood, this came out after the founding of Parfums D'Orsay in 1908 as one of its first offerings.

Etiquette Bleue IS marketed as a unisex, BTW.

Here is the entry into the BN archives:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120594.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 18th February 2010 at 02:55 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I think the Ô (eau) of Ô de Lancôme is meant in a tongue-in-cheek way, since its clearly not an eau at all but a green chypre. Like you, I think it may work best as a masculine. For my taste, Givenchy III is a more feminine green chypre. Ô Ôui is more the citrus people expect from Ô de Lancôme.

I like this also.....My 29 year old Son snatched mine and He will not give it back.....His Wife likes it also.....and She is difficult to please.....Gary

Glad to see other fans! I may have to stop by tomorrow and give it a test on my own skin.

I like O de Lancome very much also--I think it deserved more than 3 stars in the guide. The drydown reminds me of Guerlain Sous le Vent--slightly sweet mossy liqueur. If I spray heavily in the morning, it lasts most of the day on my skin.

GB, I wonder if your mom would like the new A Scent by Issey Miyake? The top notes are refreshing and green with lots of galbanum, but the base is clean white florals and musk.

I love the green top notes but the dry down reminded me of something dusty and dated.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Blog Entries

The first time I tried this I was amazed at the beautiful mossy drydown. I sprayed a bit on at the counter. As I was driving home I kept noticing a beautiful scent wafting. It is largely ignored here as you've noticed. I had to look for it. They started keeping it under the counter soon after I tried it when I went back to buy a box. IMO, it's the best thing Lancome does.

I don't care for the Ô, but love the Ô Oui - on girls.

Just to add to the complexity of the issue... there is also Ô Pour Homme For Men . It is a discontinued scent, see my BN review for more detail. I have a cute little 7 ml mini. It is a nice light chypre.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Basenotes Institution

I must re-try this one today .....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

This is a fragrance that I have yet to try but, I will. Really, I have been thinking of this one expecially as a summer scent, just haven't gotten around to it. I may have a sample of this somewhere. Time to look through my samples. BTW Lancome does make one other fragrance that I like and use; that fragrance is Cuir de Lancome.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    This is a fragrance that I have yet to try but, I will. Really, I have been thinking of this one expecially as a summer scent, just haven't gotten around to it. I may have a sample of this somewhere. Time to look through my samples. BTW Lancome does make one other fragrance that I like and use; that fragrance is Cuir de Lancome.
    Maybe you should try out Eau Sauvage by Dior too D !
    I nearly bought O de Lancome a couple of years back but my mother persuaded me not to...........
    I really must look more closely at the drydown when I re test !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 20th June 2010 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    ... I'll bet that if Lancome re-named it, more guys would wear it.
    Have you seen the original pakage? Judging from the fact that the box was mostly brownish, you could not tell at all it was a unisex fragrance, rather masculine.

I will provide a picture of it in case I find it.
    Last edited by Pollux; 21st June 2010 at 01:48 AM.

O Pour Homme discontinued for some time now as mentioned above is way better. Glad I still have one large bottle of this in my collection.

There used to be a Ô de Homme Lancome is this still made?

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    There used to be a Ô de Homme Lancome is this still made?
    No, It has been discontinued. Down here it is not that difficult to find, I guess it was not a hit.

BTW, you want them green, 1990's style? This is the greener thing around, excellent sillage, great longevity, but, unfo, not my cup of tea.
    Last edited by Pollux; 21st June 2010 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Typos

Basenotes Institution

Re tested O today - it 's excellent - very citrus ,aromatic ,green . I still prefer Eau Sauvage and Sous Le Vent though.