Code of Conduct

Default Best place to buy Acqua Di Parma in States

Hi,

Acqua Di Parma seems a bit of an odd ball to get in the states. Where's the best place / price to buy it (I'm in NYC). I could be looking in all the wrong places or it is just more expensive than I remember.

Also what is the difference between Acqua di Parma Colonia and Assoluta? I smelt the original but want ot make sure I get the right product.

Default Re: Best place to buy Acqua Di Parma in States

It is expensive. Neiman Marcus has it near me (Boston) - but in NYC I'm pretty sure Saks has it? Bigelow had a pretty good selection of it as well, but I haven't been in the store downtown in years - not since they were taken over by Bath and Bodyworks.

The "regular" and the "assoluta" varieties are similar to each other; the assoluta being amped up a bit in every aspect (as I remember; I don't wear it). "Intensa" is something else altogether. Prudence dictates sampling first, but I don't think anyone can go wrong with the "regular" Colonia.

Neimans has the whole line... for best price... no clue? sorry.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

They come up occasionally on Ebay, but I'd say avoid this route for AdP. I've seen them occasionally at some of the online discounters (do a search for the big list or PM me if you can't find it and I'll send you a list).

The regular AdP is different to the Absoluta and Intensa. Use the Directory button at the top and read reviews about them and of course just go hit a higher end dept. store (Saks? Neiman's should have) and smell them yourself. You can also order samples to try (not free of course) from places like The Perfumed Court.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I've never seen a price variation of ADP, even online. You can get it at Saks or Neiman, possibly Fred Segal (that's where I've bought them).
    Last edited by adonis; 18th February 2010 at 08:00 PM.

Blog Entries

At least in SF, Bloomingdales carries the whole line, too. So do Saks & Neimans, which means Bergdorf Goodman probably has it.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I prefer to buy my AdP at Bloomingdale's just because their fragrance set-up is much more user-friendly than Sak's or Neiman Marcus.
    I refuse to sink.

I found, fell in love, and had a torrid affair with Acqua di Parma at an expensive ski resort in Colorado. Staying there on business, lots of dress-up required, and I realized I left all fragrance at home. The situation was too nice and dressy to pull my usual "forgot to pack fragrance" trick, which is to buy a magazine with lots of scent strip samples and wear them instead. [Really, not a bad trick, especially if you're on a tight budget - though you have to get used to the idea that it's highly likely you'll end up smelling like "this year's molecule" from one of the big fragrance industrial manufacturers.] So I went to the very cool, very old-money, dripping with class boutique in the chi chi resort, and said, "I want a fragrance that's classic, something that makes me smell like a stuffy old man." The knowledgable sales associate recommended Acqua di Parma. From here to eternity I will always remember the rarified atmosphere of that dreamy resort, the beautiful Colorado weather, the "I'm in a chic Hitchcock movie" feel of it all, and Acqua di Parma -- the scent always brings it back.

So yes, buy it in a place like that. Ha. And if you aren't finding yourself conveniently in that situation, try a good department store. In any case, try to save your initial impressions for wear in a similarly memorable time and place. Old-school luxury goes very well with this classic scent. It's so beautiful. . . hard to forget. . .
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 20th February 2010 at 12:54 AM.

If the price of AdP is off-putting, Scentsitivity replied to my thread about a less expensive doppleganger, which is Roger & Gallet Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille EDC. It is really quite similar.

“Government big enough to supply
    everything you need is big enough
    to take everything you have.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Nordstroms has it too.

I've seen it at Barney's aswell

Oh yes, R&G Extra Vielle is very similar in feel. The scent is quite different, but the effect is very much the elegant, old-school attitude. Highly recommended to any and all.

I used to purchase mine at C.O. Bigelow but they are no longer in my city.....I will have to purchase mine from neimans in the future or Bergdorf Goodmans.
    Gary

Barneys, Saks (I think) and Bergdorfs carry it.

I bought my Colonia from Beauty Encounter. Their price is probably the lowest and they have good stock and service. They offer coupons for signing up to their newsletter.