Code of Conduct

Red face Talk to me about Guerlain's Sous le Vent

I've read the directory reviews for Sous le Vent with much interest.

I have just come to possess an unmarked Guerlain flacon which I suspect may contain this scent, but as I have never smelled it (either vintage or re-issue) I really cant determine whether it is what I suspect it may be.

Can I please hear from those whom have tried SLV - tell me a little about what you smell.

Thanks!

Default Re: Talk to me about Guerlain's Sous le Vent

SLV is a classic chypre with the bergamot, labdanum, oakmoss structure. The top is very bright and citrussy, although if you have a vintage bottle, the top note may be faded (my experience with other vintage frags). The drydown is Guerlinade with moss, sweet resins and some vanilla/tonka, somewhat like Mitsouko but sweeter to my nose. It also reminds me of a less green, more high quality version of O de Lancome.

Thank you Asha... your description sounds pretty much on par with what Im smelling.

If the topnotes have faded a little, then this will explain the lack of sharp citruses here. I get a very lovely almost soapy green vibe though, and some fragrant lavender with a bit of a prickle (carnation?). It tapers off to reveal a gorgeous oakmoss and baked pastry base. Does that sound about right?

Blog Entries

Sous les Vent reminds me of May Wine. Fermented grapes with a hint of cinnamon. There is a sharp green quality as in a good chypre.

WOW! Soapy sharp green describes it to me. Maybe with some dry woody notes. I adore this one, probably one of the world's most beautiful greens in my humble opinion. Love love love!!

And how amazing was Josephine Baker, the inspiration for Sous le Vent

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...fragrance.html

You lucky boy!
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Basenotes Plus

Very lucky fellow!

I've never smelt the vintage but enjoy the reissue.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Basenotes Institution

OMG, I would kill to smell vintage Sous le Vent. But actually I remember reading somewhere that the 'new' juice is pretty good stuff.

I just bought a large decant of this, as I was seriously obsessing about a full bottle and I needed something to curb my cravings.

Dimitri - can I borrow the magic wand that you carry around, whereby you are able to find all of these vintage Guerlains? Pretty please!?

Dmitri, when I read your suggestion of 'carnation' I knew this HAD to be Sous Le Vent! There is indeed a gorgeous clove/carnation note that burns through hard on the heels of the hesperidic opening.

This is a gorgeous, gorgeous scent! A green (possibly) beyond compare. You lucky devil!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I do feel I have found a bit of a gem here! Tomorrow I will send a sample to none other than our very own Monsieur Guerlain for clarification. With us both living in Denmark, I may have a definitive answer as soon as Saturday, otherwise, on Monday.

Mike, I guess I just got lucky this time! I found an unmarked Guerlain "propellor" bottle being sold on ebay with "Buy It Now", and pounced on it. The seller did not mention the name of the scent in the advertisement, and seeing as it was without box or labels, I assumed it was my favourite: Vol de Nuit. Imagine my surprise when on Monday, it arrived with this 'mystery' juice inside.
    The only other perfume bottled in the propellor bottle around the 1950s / 60s was Sous le Vent. I would be delighted if it is indeed SLV. The drydown on this one is simply delicious!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 18th February 2010 at 07:08 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    Dmitri, when I read your suggestion of 'carnation' I knew this HAD to be Sous Le Vent! There is indeed a gorgeous clove/carnation note that burns through hard on the heels of the hesperidic opening...
    I did not know that - probably why I love it so much. I love clove/carnation notes in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    ...Mike, I guess I just got lucky this time! I found an unmarked Guerlain "propellor" bottle being sold on ebay with "Buy It Now", and pounced on it. The seller did not mention the name of the scent in the advertisement, and seeing as it was without box or labels, I assumed it was my favourite: Vol de Nuit. Imagine my surprise when on Monday, it arrived with this 'mystery' juice inside.
    The only other perfume bottled in the propellor bottle around the 1950s / 60s was Sous le Vent. I would be delighted if it is indeed SLV. The drydown on this one is simply delicious!
    Good for you Dimitri. I know what you mean about the drydown. It's one of those fragrances that if I apply it in the morning, and then put on a different scent that afternoon, I still smell the Sous le Vent at the end of the night. Happens all of the time.

In addition, it's not a sad Guerlain - like Philtre d'Amour it's just happy, happy, happy. Even though it features Guerlinade it seems to put a bright spin on that. It makes me smile when I wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    WOW! Soapy sharp green describes it to me. Maybe with some dry woody notes. I adore this one, probably one of the world's most beautiful greens in my humble opinion. Love love love!!

And how amazing was Josephine Baker, the inspiration for Sous le Vent

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...fragrance.html

You lucky boy!
    Oh, my! Sous le Vent is a wonderful scent and a wonderful BNer shared some with me and I vow to track some down one day.

BTW, Josephine Baker epitomised sex appeal in her day and was a real freedom fighter during World War II in the Resistance movement...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Dmitri, have you posted your full review anywhere? I just tried htis a month ago. My review is here on the site, and unfortunately was not very favorable. Actually, this is one of my most unappreciated Guerlain fragrances and I'd advise anyone who was considering a blind buy to think twice.

My sample would have been recent (i.e, not a vintage). I was comparing it to 4 other Guerlain chypres, and comparatively this does not cut the mustard (but it does cut the cheese, so certain chemistries beware)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    OMG, I would kill to smell vintage Sous le Vent. But actually I remember reading somewhere that the 'new' juice is pretty good stuff.

I just bought a large decant of this, as I was seriously obsessing about a full bottle and I needed something to curb my cravings.

Dimitri - can I borrow the magic wand that you carry around, whereby you are able to find all of these vintage Guerlains? Pretty please!?
    I knew you would be excited by this Mike! Imagine! Wow. Maybe Dimitri can send us some of his magic perfume mojo

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    Dmitri, when I read your suggestion of 'carnation' I knew this HAD to be Sous Le Vent! There is indeed a gorgeous clove/carnation note that burns through hard on the heels of the hesperidic opening.

This is a gorgeous, gorgeous scent! A green (possibly) beyond compare
    . You lucky devil!
    My partner in "Green"! I totally agree with your description. Sigh.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Quote Originally Posted by BayKAT View Post
    Dmitri, have you posted your full review anywhere? I just tried htis a month ago. My review is here on the site, and unfortunately was not very favorable. Actually, this is one of my most unappreciated Guerlain fragrances and I'd advise anyone who was considering a blind buy to think twice.

My sample would have been recent (i.e, not a vintage). I was comparing it to 4 other Guerlain chypres, and comparatively this does not cut the mustard (but it does cut the cheese, so certain chemistries beware)
    Hi BayKat,

No, as Im still determining whether this is in fact SLV I haven't reviewed it per se. I will be sent a vial of the modern reformulation to compare back to back before I can confirm if this is in fact the perfume in question. Then I'll review it on my blog.

Basenotes Member

Hey Folks, I just had to add my 2 cents. Sous Le Vent has become one of my most favorite fragrances of all time. I tried it first at my local Saks, and they decanted a good size tester for me to take home. It is long lasting, great sillage, and the oak moss comes through for me. Green, a wonderful spiciness to it, hints at a Derby quality. I had to have more. The 125 ml bottle is pricey at $315, but I just ordered a 500 ml white bee bottle from the Guerlain Boutique at The Palazzo in Las Vegas. Jorganne, Chuck, Claire are all wonderful to work with. Free shipping and no tax......

Quote Originally Posted by WillBell View Post
    Hey Folks, I just had to add my 2 cents. Sous Le Vent has become one of my most favorite fragrances of all time. I tried it first at my local Saks, and they decanted a good size tester for me to take home. It is long lasting, great sillage, and the oak moss comes through for me. Green, a wonderful spiciness to it, hints at a Derby quality. I had to have more. The 125 ml bottle is pricey at $315, but I just ordered a 500 ml white bee bottle from the Guerlain Boutique at The Palazzo in Las Vegas. Jorganne, Chuck, Claire are all wonderful to work with. Free shipping and no tax......
    Not bad. I will have to give them a call since i'm almost out of my precious Sous Le Vent.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme