Code of Conduct

Smile To spray or not to spray for work

Hello All

I'm a newcomer here, so apologies if I'm asking an obvious question!

I'm in my 30's, I've been wearing fragrance all my life, mainly Chanel (my favourites are Cuir de Russie, no. 22, Coco and no.5) but I've recently been told by a colour/image consultant that it's not right to wear perfume before 6pm. Help! Do I heed or ignore her advice? Surely it depends on the frangrance? Are any of the above suitable for the office, interviews or business meetings?

Any advice will be gratefully received!

NitaD

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: To spray or not to spray for work

To me, that's nonsense... Wear what you like when you like but, if in doubt, wear it lightly for work, meetings or interviews...

Welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Huh? I never heard of such a perfume etiquette... I think we've all heard that heavy orientals are for evening and light citruses for day, but no fragrance before 6 pm...? Nonsense. Wear what you like in amounts that suit the occassion.

CdR and No 22 are the most elegant and suitable for business IMO.
    Last edited by tott; 18th February 2010 at 03:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

For interviews, I wouldn't wear fragrance because you never know what scent associations an interviewer may have with your fragrance. For work though I think it's fine as long as it's not overpowering. If in doubt about how strong your fragrance is, ask a family member or friend for their opinion. Unless someone in your office is sensitive to fragrance and asks you not to wear any, I don't think a little bit hurts. I think people in the medical professions may not normally wear much if any fragrance because you don't know the sensitivities of the patients you will be dealing with throughout the day. Other than that, I can't really think of a reason not to wear it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ignore her advice. Do not wear perfume before 6pm? How preposterous!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I couldn't LIVE without perfume before 6 pm!!! lol!!! Complete nonsense!!

Thank you all, so far. I guess I really needed assurance that she was talking nonsense, so I'm relieved! If anyone has alternative suggestions to Chanel CdR and/or 22, again I'd be very grateful. I've only fairly recently embarked on quality fragrances and I've just stuck with my trusty Chanels so far.

Thanks again!

NitaD

In a word: nonsense.

Use your good judgment, of course, but to make a blanket statement not to wear any fragrance before 6pm? Nonsense.

Chanel have some great fragrances. Have you tried any of the Les Exclusifs? Something like 28 la Pausa is very light and unobtrusive, perfect for the work place.

Post Thanks / Like

All nonsense. Any of your Chanels would be appropriate for work, applied lightly.

One of my happiest medical encounters occurred many years ago when I took my then-young daughter to the emergency pediatrician covering for her regular doctor. He was wearing Antaeus, and I had trouble focussing on his recommendations because me mind was filling with more lascivious thoughts! My daughter recovered!

I wear perfume everyday and in a job with constant contact with the public. No one has ever complained (and I sometimes get compliments) except in one instance where a woman (with whom I shared an office) was allergic to ONE particular perfume. All my others never bothered her, so I just left off wearing that one at work.

Perfume only after 6 p.m.? What etiquette guide did they find that one in? And on which planet? LOL!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baldufita View Post
    To me, that's nonsense... Wear what you like when you like but, if in doubt, wear it lightly for work, meetings or interviews...

Welcome!
    +1.

Ridiculous. As long as you apply lightly, you're fine.

Fourth verse, same as the first: Wear whatever you want, just less of it, especially if it's one of your "signature" scents whose strength/sillage you may have gradually stopped noticing. Fragrance makes my work day that much more pleasant and colorful.
    Last edited by subhuman85; 19th February 2010 at 02:48 AM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    Hopefully you did not have to pay for this "advice"
    At work- all things in moderation - but no scent before 6 pm as a dictum is preposterous.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't take Spray with me to work. He starts too many threads.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolute nonsense. not spraying before 6 pm ! *LOL* Just use a lighter spray for work . Really ! huff!
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 19th February 2010 at 03:31 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Toad View Post
    I wouldn't take Spray with me to work. He starts too many threads.
    omg- too funny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Let your heart dictate your actions.

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    Welcome!
    Hopefully you did not have to pay for this "advice"
    No perfume before 6 PM? Silliest thing I've ever heard. As everyone else says, wear what you want, when you want to, just in moderation.

Post Thanks / Like

No perfume before 6 PM makes sense -if you are working the night shift

Post Thanks / Like

Darling, you wear Cuir de Russie and No.22: you obviously have MUCH better taste than this silly woman who claimed to advise you. Welcome to Basenotes. Wearing those, you sound like our kind of person.

And a fragrance specifically for work(though frankly I can't imagine anything better than Cuir de Russie, no matter what your career)? Stroll around the other lovely things Chanel makes. No 19 is brisk and efficient. their Eau de Cologne is a masterpiece and then there are Les Exclusifs. Such fun to be had!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: To spray or not to spray for work

Just IGNORE !!!!
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Just curious, what's the consultant like? Male/female? Age? Conservative/Flamboyant?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Allow me to echo everyone else's sentiment......ridiculous!!! Wear what you want when you want
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Quote Originally Posted by NitaD View Post
    Hello All

I'm in my 30's, I've been wearing fragrance all my life, mainly Chanel (my favourites are Cuir de Russie, no. 22, Coco and no.5) but I've recently been told by a colour/image consultant that it's not right to wear perfume before 6pm. Help! Do I heed or ignore her advice? Surely it depends on the frangrance? Are any of the above suitable for the office, interviews or business meetings?

NitaD

What?? not wearing perfume before 6pm? That's nonsense. I mean, there's nothing wrong in making yourself smell good.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Spray away!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Un profumo affettuoso

Wearing perfume is part of our personal freedom - and "rules" about not wearing any should be ignored.
    Tomorrow they'll tell you that your lipstick is the wrong colour and your food was too spicy...

Post Thanks / Like

Take no notice of what anyone else tells you and go with your feelings. If you want to spray then feel free
    There would be far less perfume sold, if we all couldn't use them until after 6pm - If that's her answer about perfume, I wouldn't like to hear her answer about the right image or colour for you lol

No alcohol before 10am!
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    No alcohol before 10am!
    AH HA! The advisor must have thought she was going to DRINK the fumes, in which case the advice ALMOST makes sense
    Last edited by knit at nite; 19th February 2010 at 08:21 PM.

Eva Pasco

As long as you haven't offended anyone with an overpowering fragrance, ignore the directive.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

That consultant is using the guidelines last published in the 1950's or so. The one that also states "No white after Labor Day" or "Shoes and bag must match."

I would have a hard time trusting any of her advice. Use common sense when it come to scents. There are frags that are appropriate for every occasion, even ones that happen before 6:00 PM.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Post Thanks / Like

I *wish* my coworkers smelled of Cuir de Russie, No 22, or No 5.
    “Auntie Mame [is] a froth of whipped cream and champagne and daydreams and Nuit de Noël perfume. She's not mortal at all.”- Patrick Dennis

Un profumo affettuoso

Quote Originally Posted by moongrrl View Post
    I *wish* my coworkers smelled of Cuir de Russie, No 22, or No 5.
    So do I!!!
    Most of them can't do better than Escada Tutti Fruttti Holiday or Jette Joop...

Eleanore

I wear whatever I want(within the bounds of good taste)--no Georgio of Beverly Hills before 6 p.m. That would wake up the dead.
    But seriously-I think that it's a personal decision-Unless there's a rule banning perfume in your workplace. If there is-then wear a skin scent--the new Balenciaga is lovely and perfect for such an situation.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never heard this before in my life

Quote Originally Posted by NitaD View Post
    Hello All

NitaD
    I would ignore that "rule" as it sounds horribly contrived.

BUT... I would be prudent about the amount of scent you wear to interviews or business meetings. Otherwise, wear what you like, unless your workplace has a no-scent policy. (I've found it keeps the "undesirable elements" away to wear scent. LOL)
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What type of foolishness.......

I love it when people taking dressing up doll babies to a whole different level and turn it into a career of getting on somebody last nerve with the foolishness they come up with....smh. I bought my perfume and you best believe I'm wearing it any time I damn well please. I wear perfume for "ME". Please wear your perfume whenever you want.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

When I'm working or dinning in public I try to use a skin scent. When I go to a cocktail party I break out my sillage monsters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You should fire her. If she's true, then no one's gonna buy all the summer flankers. In fact, fragrance companies wouldn't bother coming out with them.
    Visit my blog at http://thescenter.blogspot.com

I agree... fire the colour/image consultant. But heed Ruggles' advice.
    Last edited by actiasluna; 26th February 2010 at 05:17 AM.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Of course, I'll spray for work. I spray so I can smell good all the time. There's no point of making the workplace a place of exemption.

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    That consultant is using the guidelines last published in the 1950's or so. The one that also states "No white after Labor Day" or "Shoes and bag must match."
    But I don't think even really, really old-fashioned etiquette would state that rule - the woman whose shoes and bag match and who wouldn't be caught dead in white at the wrong time, even the woman who puts on little white gloves to leave the house, would, I think, be wearing perfume in the daytime.

I would be more likely to assume that it's an overreaction to modern scent phobia.

Edited to add: It occurs to me that the most prominent advocate of traditional etiquette of our time is Miss Manners, so I went Googling. And in the context of perfume in a car pool, she stated "Unlike gum-snapping, perfume is not itself an etiquette violation, however much it may bother some people."

(She went on to note that etiquette violation or not, the carpoolers can of course make a rule banning perfume.)
    Last edited by ChickenFreak; 26th February 2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Adding Miss Manners.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Consultants should be listened to only when they say things we didn't previously know, and when they talk about what we KNOW they know about. No perfume before 6pm???!!! Introduce the consultant to BaseNotes.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

Balderdash! Spray HER!

Reine

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

That's just silly. Spray lightly for work, but spray on!
    That is, unless Demeter comes up with a scent called "Garlic".
    Last edited by Madame du Barry; 3rd March 2010 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Consultants should be listened to only when they say things we didn't previously know, and when they talk about what we KNOW they know about. No perfume before 6pm???!!! Introduce the consultant to BaseNotes.
    right! bring the consultants here and let them smell the fragrances. Let's see if they still don't want to spray.. hahaha.. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    right! bring the consultants here and let them smell the fragrances. Let's see if they still don't want to spray.. hahaha.. LOL