Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default On complements...

Where are they??? Not that I am worried about it, but how can people honestly make a list of the "most complemented" fragrances. It is sooo rare that someone even makes a comment to me about smelling at all! Are some just more prone to complements in different areas of the world?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: On complements...

Any time I've gotten compliments, I wasn't out looking for them. Just happened to be in a situation where I was in close proximity to someone and they caught a whiff of whatever I was wearing at the time.

Doesn't happen every time.
    ~Mark~

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I'm not looking for them either. I just don't get how people can say ____ and ____ are the best for getting complements.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are really friendly with people, you'll get a lot of honest feedback. For example, if everyone likes you they won't be as scared to tell you that you smell bad. Conversely, if you smell good they will be more than happy to tell you. Usually, compliments come from family, friends, and women you're courting.

Some people I know smell great, but their personality smells terrible - so they never get compliments at work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kxe003 View Post
    Yes, I'm not looking for them either. I just don't get how people can say ____ and ____ are the best for getting complements.
    Most likely from their personal experiences. For me, the one I've received the most compliments for (when I've got them) has been Green Irish Tweed. Yes, I've received them on others that I have but that one, along with Dior's Bois D'Argent have been the two that garnered the most for me personally.
    Last edited by markb; 18th February 2010 at 04:31 PM.
    ~Mark~

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing worse than a smelly personality.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kxe003 View Post
    Take a handsome guy as a control. Women are into him even if all he wears is unscented Mitchum roll-on deodorant. Now imagine that guy has a bunch of nice fragrances. You can get a good idea for which ones get complimented the most in general by looking at which ones get him the most compliments.

I get the most compliments on Opium pour Homme, Rive Gauche, Fleur du Male and John Varvatos

My YouTube buddy tswetcoff made a relevant video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_pFrKaadmM

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you're shy and you don't talk to anyone. You're never getting compliments. I'll tell you that much. I'm not too outgoing, so I don't get compliments that often. I don't expect any. I did when I first started getting into fragrances, but it's pointless. So if I do get them, which is rare, it's a pleasant surprise. I've probably gotten a 3-4 comments ranging from "You smell good!" (Allure Blanche), "What are you wearing?" (Mugler Cologne, Bulgari Aqua), to "Is someone wearing cologne? That shit's hella strong dude." (Geir Ness)
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 18th February 2010 at 04:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've just recently gotten into the frag world and let me tell ya, when the gal at the UPS store asked me what I was wearing (Green Irish Tweed) and told me how "fresh" and "clean" it smelled, man, my day was made. That was cool, but like y'all have expressed, the fragrance is more for the wearer than anyone else. Cheers, fellas...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    If you're shy and you don't talk to anyone. You're never getting compliments. I'll tell you that much. I'm not too outgoing, so I don't get compliments that often. I don't expect any. I did when I first started getting into fragrances, but it's pointless. So if I do get them, which is rare, it's a pleasant surprise. I've probably gotten a 3-4 comments ranging from "You smell good!" (Allure Blanche), "What are you wearing?" (Mugler Cologne, Bulgari Aqua), to "Is someone wearing cologne? That shit's hella strong dude." (Geir Ness)

I agree with this. Also, just to add, I don't think it ( compliments) is something that happens as often as we think it does.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Post Thanks / Like

Just because you didn't get compliments, doens't mean people didn't notice. Many people just are too shy themselfs to say it directly, but in the back of their head they know that you smelled good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Young Dro View Post
    Just because you didn't get compliments, doens't mean people didn't notice. Many people just are too shy themselfs to say it directly, but in the back of their head they know that you smelled good.
    That's true. Also, it isn't always appropriate to compliment.
    Last edited by Spray; 18th February 2010 at 05:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I did not get a compliment from my boss until maybe 6 months after working there
    here it is "whatever it is that you wear, it smells divine, don't stop wearing"
    whats the problem? I don't know what he is talking about as I wear a different scent almost every time I go to work
    but I have a feeling it was PdN New York
    Last edited by Hasupk@gmail.com; 18th February 2010 at 05:59 PM.
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I was only ever really complimented regularly when I wore L'eau d'Issey as my signature back in '94 to '95. It was like an Axe commercial. Nothing much before or after that.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    I was only ever really complimented regularly when I wore L'eau d'Issey as my signature back in '94 to '95. It was like an Axe commercial. Nothing much before or after that.
    What would Richard Pryor say in this situation?

MOTHERF***ER IS YOU CRAZY?!

I hate Paul Smith Story, but if girls acted like in the Axe commercials I would use it as soap, deodorant, and mouthwash!
    Last edited by Spray; 18th February 2010 at 06:08 PM.

The most genuine compliment for me came many years ago. A man actually followed me and asked which scent I was wearing. (I think it was YSL Paris...) It was not a "come on" line, as he was earnest and genuine and wanted to buy some for his wife. I told him, and he heartily thanked me and walked away.

A few years back, I wore Estee Lauder Pleasures Intense into my husband's work office and one of his co-workers was so impressed that he remarked about it several times to the point where my husband was actually amused.

As a rule, most people do not wear fragrance, and the non-fragrance set of the population only wear it for special occasions. I spray the stuff as part of my morning toilette.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

On New Year's Eve I went to the liquor store to get a bottle of wine. I had just showered and put on some TDH. When I went up to pay the two girls working the register looked at each other, then looked at me and both said "Gee, someone smells great!". I looked around and nobody else was there, then it dawned on me they were talking about me. I just smiled and said "Thanks!" Only other time I got a compliment was when I sat down at a co-worker's desk to show her something on her PC and she leaned over the top of me to look. She smiled and said "Nice scent." It was Brooks Brothers Black Fleece, not a sillage monster by any stretch so the only reason she picked up on it was her proximity to me. That's it, two strangers and one co-worker. I doubt too many people in my neck of the woods have ever smelled 10 percent of what gets discussed on this forum.
    Last edited by lee4411; 18th February 2010 at 07:36 PM.
    Trying to make the world a better place, one sniff at a time

Post Thanks / Like

My two most recent compliments were when I was walking past someone on the way to work. One was a young man who, when I passed him said, " Love your cologne, man!" Another was a woman who said, "very nice cologne"! The first compliment was for Yatagan, the second for L' air du desert Marocain. Patchouli Patch and Mugler Cologne almost always garner comments as well.

I think women tend to give out compliments on the fragrances you wear. Guys tend to steer clear of the topic; unless it is about what their women are wearing.........

Post Thanks / Like

My most recent one was after testing a Creed scent in NYC--I had one spray of Royal English Leather on my hand but it must have been throwing off a lot of sillage because in the next store I went into I walked past a salesman who said how great it smelled and asked what it is. I told him and moved on to look at something at the back ot the store. I must not have spoken clearly enough because on my way out, I overheard him tell an associate "who would have thought that English Leather smelled that good? I'll have to go to Duane Reade after work....." I SHOULD have stopped and set him straight but, oh, well, I just helped English Leather sell another bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    My most recent one was after testing a Creed scent in NYC--I had one spray of Royal English Leather on my hand but it must have been throwing off a lot of sillage because in the next store I went into I walked past a salesman who said how great it smelled and asked what it is. I told him and moved on to look at something at the back ot the store. I must not have spoken clearly enough because on my way out, I overheard him tell an associate "who would have thought that English Leather smelled that good? I'll have to go to Duane Reade after work....." I SHOULD have stopped and set him straight but, oh, well, I just helped English Leather sell another bottle.
    lol. That guy must hate you now!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    "whatever it is that you wear, it smells divine, don't stop wearing"
    whats the problem? I don't know what he is talking about as I wear a different scent almost every time I go to work
    AAAhahahaha, love that!

lol! One thing I learned regarding compliments is that people may notice, but not necessarily comment. I know that for a fact after being told by a coworker that she and some other female coworkers were talking, and when my name came up, someone mentioned that I always smell good, and a few others cosigned her. Thing is, none of them ever said anything directly to me. One of them, on a few occassions, has gotten in very close proximity to me where the situation didn't really call for it. One coworker last week got quite close as well, and I entertained the idea that she probably just wanted to get a closer whiff of my fragrance. Wishful thinking and paranoid a bit? Maybe? But I'd like to think otherwise...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    One coworker last week got quite close as well, and I entertained the idea that she probably just wanted to get a closer whiff of my fragrance. Wishful thinking and paranoid a bit? Maybe? But I'd like to think otherwise...
    I think these women are using your fragrance as an excuse to get really close to you

Post Thanks / Like

Compliments are the elusive prize...that's why our main stickied thread is dedicated to compliments from women.

They happen on occasion for sure, but I think most people (at least in US) are a little too daunted to comment. If it's a woman, she may like your scent but not be into you. If she says something nice she might fear you'll interpret it wrong way. If it's a man, he may be concerned you'll read that the wrong way.

Frags are kind of oddly personal-- but then again if they're aggressive scents that project, they're really kind like a piece of you intruding into other people's world.

On occasion my boss comments, but I generally interpret his neutral inquiries to be the nicest way he can manage to say he really hates the scent. The main frag reviews I get are from a girlfriend who hates just about everything I have except Issey. But oddly, she commented positively on Kouros and Rose 31. Take that Kouros haters.

Much as Larwiz observed, I do think most people we spend anytime around are very aware we smell pretty good. I get concerned with the wide array of scents I wear, it may baffle some people. "He smelled really good yesterday...what's that crap he's wearing today?!"
    Last edited by StylinLA; 19th February 2010 at 04:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I must not have spoken clearly enough because on my way out, I overheard him tell an associate "who would have thought that English Leather smelled that good? I'll have to go to Duane Reade after work....." I SHOULD have stopped and set him straight but, oh, well, I just helped English Leather sell another bottle.
    Call me twisted, but I love it when that happens. We're all so into our world of frags, that's the kind of mistake we would never make. I'm sure you spoke very clearly. His mind listened for what was familiar, heard only "English Leather" and dropped the "Royal" part.

I really like that he likely went to Duane Reade for some Dana English Leather, and soon after was wondering why it doesn't work on him the way it does on you. At least he's only out $20 or so.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 19th February 2010 at 04:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I get complimented several times a week on my scents by strangers and acquaintances. Part of it is how you carry yourself though. When I'm in a good mood, I find myself being complimented far more often.
    I refuse to sink.

Post Thanks / Like

I use fragrance every day.
    There hasn't been a single day in 2010 when I did not wear cologne. Realy !
    I used 6 sprays some days, but my colognes are realy strong.
    Strangely, I am not complimented every day. The first day, through I got alot of compliments. People were turning their heads, and complete strangers complimented.

They're all married, so I kinda doubt that. But I appreciate your vote of confidence...
    Last edited by Larwiz; 19th February 2010 at 06:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I work with in relatively close quarters with different (fairly extroverted) people almost every time I work, and I rotate my wardrobe frequently, so I get a fair amount of compliments on what I'm wearing. I think a lot of it depends on just how things combine: where you are, what you're wearing, what type of people you happen to be around and how close you are to them for an extended period of time, etc. - sort of the luck of the draw, if you will. In most casual settings outside of work, I seldom ever have anyone comment on what I wear. In most cases I would think that one would have to wear fragrance every day for decades in order to come up with a quantifiable time-series analysis of compliments.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL. That IS one funny story. Have you been back to this store?

Seriously, when someone compliments on the cologne I'm wearing it does kind of feel that person has made my day.

But yeah, mainly the compliments come from the ladies... only a few guys ever ask what I'm wearing etc... Most guys won't compliment saying "that's nice" even if they do like the smell of your fragrance because they might think they're giving out the wrong impression that they're gay or whatever. I do get compliments off guys but they're normally quite close friends or from my family... but you shouldn't worry, some people might be too shy because they might not know you enough but it doesn't mean to say they don't like what you're wearing. If you want to impress the ladies I find A*Men and 1 Million are the biggest compliment getters from my personal experience.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Complements about what I wear are rare as hen's teeth. However, I just sniffing constantly reminds me just how great I smell..
    Last edited by kbe; 19th February 2010 at 01:18 PM.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    LOL. That IS one funny story. Have you been back to this store?
    Not yet, but when I do, I will be wearing REL!