Code of Conduct

Default French pronunciation, great new site

Now I know how to say "Maison Francis Kurkdjian" thanks to Frag Name of the Day at http://fragnameoftheday.blogspot.com/

After I discovered the site I sent in a list of more than 20 names that I wondered about and Bela has recorded some of them already. She welcomes requests and adds new sound files every day. I am using an ordinary PC without any extra-special software and the sound plays fine, not sure how it works on Mac.
    Last edited by furrypine; 11th January 2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: updated url

Default Re: French pronunciation, great new site

I agree that it's a great site and she's doing some of the more tricky names that people mispronounce frequently and that the online speech-generating websites might also mispronounce. (Rochas, Lutens, Mugler, etc)

I go there to replay "Guerlain" as a reminder to myself that the "u" is silent. Somehow I really want to say the u, but i shan't

Thank you for this link, furrypine!
    At long last French perfumes and perfumers perfectly pronounced and in clear sound on my (DOS) machine also!

I'll be back there tomorrow - just for the fun of it, and to remind me of the ending 's' in Fraca(s) and Rochas which I always had the other way around. Also Gian in Franco Ferré came as a total surprise to me (isn't Gian Franco also an Italian name ?)
    Last edited by narcus; 19th February 2010 at 02:24 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Dependent

Works just fine on Mac, thanks for sharing.

so its ''mess'' in Hermes, I always thought it was ''mez'' lol..

You know the thing is, it's a great site, but french is such a hard language. Even when I HEAR how it's supposed to sound, doesn't mean I can repeat it.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback. It really makes it all worthwhile. Please don't hesitate to request names for me to record. And, once you've done so, please be patient: I will post them on a strict first come first served basis. I will also sometimes post names that haven't been requested but that I think should be included so your requests might take a little longer to appear.

I see someone else recorded a number of names last year. I swear I had no idea; I wouldn't want to tread on someone's toes. This has been a little pet project of mine for a very long time (ever since I joined MUA in 2002). I always said I would do it 'one day'. The day has finally come. :-)

What a wonderful thing to do ~ thank you Bela!

Thank you so much, sweetie. :-)

This is fab! I could spend hours just hitting all these play buttons!

Cuir is a surprise to me... pronounced almost "queer". Enlightening!

Bela, I would like to link your site from my perfume blog.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 18th February 2010 at 10:28 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Bela, you are belle!
    wonderful site.

O la la! I KNEW I was pronouncing Guerlain correctly (runs off with netbook to play file for that snotty sales assistant)

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    You know the thing is, it's a great site, but french is such a hard language. Even when I HEAR how it's supposed to sound, doesn't mean I can repeat it.
    You don't say...

I can't even do "Guerlain" the way it is *supposed* to sound.

And thanks Bela, you're very kind to educate.
    Last edited by MFJ; 19th February 2010 at 04:53 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Great! Now we don't have to have long discussions on how to pronounce French. We can just click and listen! A very nice voice and (of course) perfect pronunciation!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 19th February 2010 at 05:54 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by Bela View Post
    I see someone else recorded a number of names last year. I swear I had no idea; I wouldn't want to tread on someone's toes.
    That would be me! And you're certainly not treading on anyone's toes, Bela. My attempt has disappeared into the bowels of Basenotes history, together with all its broken links! You've done a beautiful job and finally we can put to rest all the discussions about french pronunciation. Super! Génial!

OMG...I can't speak with that french accent in a 100 years.......
    On another note did someone check 'Fracas' on the 2nd page........lol

Sorry for the delay, Dimitri. I see you already have. I was going to say I'd be delighted if you linked Frag of the Day to your lovely blog. Thank you for asking. :-)
    Last edited by Bela; 20th February 2010 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    That would be me! And you're certainly not treading on anyone's toes, Bela. My attempt has disappeared into the bowels of Basenotes history, together with all its broken links! You've done a beautiful job and finally we can put to rest all the discussions about french pronunciation. Super! Génial!
    That is very generous of you, Trufflehunter. Thank you very much.

How totally cool is this!?! Very nice. Thank you!!

Give this one a shot....AT&T Labs Natural Voices® Text-to-Speech Demo
    Last edited by Ron199; 20th February 2010 at 12:16 AM.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Hello and welcome Bela! Thank you for your wonderful work.
    Can we please try these:
    -Lubin
    -Idole de Lubin
    Thank you!
    RM

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    Give this one a shot....AT&T Labs Natural Voices® Text-to-Speech Demo
    These kinds of sites are OK for the odd commonly used word, but not for strings of words because they work by sticking isolated, prerecorded syllables together. Therefore you don't get the French 'liaison' that is sometimes needed between two words. You won't find proper names there either: their pronunciation cannot always be predicted, e.g. you might think that the final 'ens' in 'encens' and the one in 'Lutens' would be pronounced in the same way, yet it isn't. An engine can't tell you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Hello and welcome Bela! Thank you for your wonderful work.
    Can we please try these:
    -Lubin
    -Idole de Lubin
    Thank you!
    RM
    Thank you very much, Renaissance_Man.

I will just add Idole de Lubin to my 'To do' list, I think, b/c Lubin is pronounced the same whether on its own or accompanied by other words. :-)

If I may... please use the comments form on the Alphabetical list post on Frag Name of the Day for your requests rather than posting them here. It will save me having to look in two different places for them. TIA :-)

These kinds of sites are OK for the odd commonly used word, but not for strings of words because they work by sticking isolated, prerecorded syllables together. Therefore you don't get the French 'liaison' that is sometimes needed between two words. You won't find proper names there either: their pronunciation cannot always be predicted, e.g. you might think that the final 'ens' in 'encens' and the one in 'Lutens' would be pronounced in the same way, yet it isn't. An engine can't tell you that.
    Exactly! Although French (despite popular belief!) is generally a very well behaved language in terms of its 'rules of pronunciation', like any language, it does have its exceptions. 'encens', as Bela just said, is one common trap (in fact it's two!). Final 's' is a problem: we're taught in French classes at school (I am a french teacher!) that the final 's' is silent. Generally it is, but watch for the exceptions! These text-to-speech engines simply can't cut it and, if you take them as gospel, you'll end up pronouncing certain things completely wrong.

Trust Bela! Do NOT trust the text-to-speech engines!
    Last edited by Trufflehunter; 20th February 2010 at 08:09 PM.

What can I say? I'm very touched. :-)

Bumping this thread to let people know that the Frag Name site has grown considerably in content and I want to make more BN'ers aware of this terrific reference tool.

French is my primary language myself and I admit that its a good site with the right pronunciation. A Good idea!

Superbe travaille Bela.

I don't know if the word Fraiche is in there but it would be a good one to have, its maybe the most butchered word I hear in youtube review's. Im not saying this with any arrogance btw, just thinking that it could help a lot. I admire the effort of trying to pronounce it the right way.
    Last edited by _FP_; 1st May 2010 at 06:37 PM.

just used that link to check a few pronunciations before making a few phone calls to France and to Harrods. Spared me a few awkward moments I would say lol.

Quote Originally Posted by _FP_ View Post
    French is my primary language myself and I admit that its a good site with the right pronunciation. A Good idea!

Superbe travaille Bela.

I don't know if the word Fraiche is in there but it would be a good one to have, its maybe the most butchered word I hear in youtube review's. Im not saying this with any arrogance btw, just thinking that it could help a lot. I admire the effort of trying to pronounce it the right way.
    Sorry, I never got notification re. this post. Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, the word Fraîche is there, under Miscellaneous. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Livingdead View Post
    just used that link to check a few pronunciations before making a few phone calls to France and to Harrods. Spared me a few awkward moments I would say lol.
    Thank you very much indeed. I'm glad you found my site useful. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Now I know how to say "Maison Francis Kurkdjian" thanks to Frag Name of the Day at http://belabela.posterous.com/
    This is a great resource. Bela thank you for your time and work.

It's lovely feedback like yours, hednic, that keeps me going. Thank you! :-)

It's lovely feedback like yours, hednic, that keeps me going. Thank you! :-)
    Bela, I must chime with my thanks as well. French is my second language and I do get stuck here and there. Its certainly helps me a lot. Merci
    What did Obi-Wan say to Luke at the dinnertable?
    Use the fork, Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    Bela, I must chime with my thanks as well. French is my second language and I do get stuck here and there. Its certainly helps me a lot. Merci
    I am overwhelmed. You all made my day! Thank you! :-)

of course not to mention the person who revived this thread *ahem ahem*

lol just joking. that is one awesome site Bela, like I said, was so useful especially before I made the call to Harrods Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Livingdead View Post
    of course not to mention the person who revived this thread *ahem ahem*

lol just joking. that is one awesome site Bela, like I said, was so useful especially before I made the call to Harrods Thanks!!
    Oh, but of course I meant your feedback too, Livingdead. I thanked you personally above for your kind words. I am *very* grateful to you for reviving this thread. You all made my day. :-)

Merci beaucoup for this great resource, Bela! We need to know how to say the names of the perfumes we already own much much more than we need more new bottles. French is my second language and I'm pretty good at most words, but there are exceptions. The difference between Rochas and Fracas was new to me. Madame Rochas is my mother's favorite perfume, and I've been saying it with a silent 's' for all these years!

For those wanting to check the site in question, here's a direct link that doesn't redirect like the one given above:

http://fragnameoftheday.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by professor goggles View Post
    Merci beaucoup for this great resource, Bela! We need to know how to say the names of the perfumes we already own much much more than we need more new bottles. French is my second language and I'm pretty good at most words, but there are exceptions. The difference between Rochas and Fracas was new to me. Madame Rochas is my mother's favorite perfume, and I've been saying it with a silent 's' for all these years!

For those wanting to check the site in question, here's a direct link that doesn't redirect like the one given above:

http://fragnameoftheday.blogspot.com/
    Thank you very much for the vote of confidence. I have a confession to make: I used to pronounce Rochas with a silent 's'; I even posted it like that originally, but a keen-eared listener commented that she'd heard it pronounced differently in a TV ad. I phoned the company in Paris and they confirmed that the 's' had to be sounded. Proper names don't always follow the rules.

Thank you too for posting the correct link. Blogger is easier to use than Posterous.

A gentle bump to make new members aware of Bela's excellent blog.

... I phoned the company in Paris and they confirmed that the 's' had to be sounded. Proper names don't always follow the rules..
    I didn't pronounce the 's' in Lutens until I heard differently in Paris.
    Bonne Continuation !

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    A gentle bump to make new members aware of Bela's excellent blog.
    A wonderful idea furrypine!

And Bela, our pronunciation angel if you check in: Je vous souhaite Bonne année et bonne santé !
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817

AWESOMENESS! I felt like white trash butchering all these French words inside my head, now I can feel **cultured**

Thanks Bela!!!!!!

I'm so sorry for the delay (never got notified there were new posts). Thank you for your kind words and wishes. Hope you all have a fantastically perfumed 2012. :-)

I am bumping this thread (again) to make sure new members discover Bela's wonderful site.

Smile Re: French pronunciation, great new site

Thank you very much indeed. Happy New Year to you and all Basenotes members.

My NY resolution (only one, LOL!) is to keep the site updated more regularly.