Code of Conduct

Default Trying out Crown Park Royal

Hi Folks-

I'm sort of a history buff, and have enjoyed reading about Crown Perfumery. I was a little sad that I couldn't experience any of their products.

So, I did an EBay search, thinking someone, somewhere, probably had them lusted. Sure enough, I found a few different Crown products, checked out the sellers, and bought a few. The first to arrive was Crown Park Royal!

I've read on Basenotes about some counterfeit sellers, but this one, so far, appears legitimate.

Here's a photo of the bottle, after I opened the cellophane:

I'll post it tomorrow as my SoTD and let you all know how it turns out.

Very excited!!

Tom
    Last edited by ThomasFox; 18th February 2010 at 08:12 PM.

Default Re: Trying out Crown Park Royal

Crown Park Royal is a nice, almost unisex spice/floral scent that is no longer manufactured by Crown Perfumery. This looks like one of the last ones, as many of the old scents/formulae are now made by Anglia Perfumery and have a plain bottle. The bottle designs are now in the hands of ultra-luxe perfume maker Clive Christian. I have heard it classified as an oriental/chypre.

You must also try Sandringham as one of the masculines by Crown. I think the scent is more floral with a beautiful muguet middle note.

Both of these scents have an "Old World" feel to them and exude gentlemanliness, a quality hard to fine these days.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

You can rest assured it's real, no one will go to the trouble of forging such exotica, that do not fetch high prices. Looking forward to your thoughts on this one. I didn't like it myself, Crowns are mostly heaven or hell for me. Marquis and Sandringham (which I've become allergic too) are equally problematic. On the other hand, I love Spiced Limes, Town & Country, Fougere and Quinine. If you dig the old English style, you should also check out Geo. F. Trumper, D.R. Harris and, to an extent, Penhaligon's - oh, and definitely Anglia Perfumery, which has reissued a number of English classics from Crown and other firms.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 18th February 2010 at 07:37 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I look forward to your comments, you might also post them here as things can get lost in the SOTD shuffle. I have this and have posted a BN review. I'm interested to see if you have the same version (and assessment) as I do. I'll have to check, but the box and bottle are (I think) the same as yours.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I look forward to your comments, you might also post them here as things can get lost in the SOTD shuffle. I have this and have posted a BN review. I'm interested to see if you have the same version (and assessment) as I do. I'll have to check, but the box and bottle are (I think) the same as yours.
    OdyM, I have this same box--hunter green for men's scents with the cylindrical bottle. The women's have "primrose" coloured boxes and the bottle design is now used for Clive Christian scents. The address shows Burlington Arcade in London and they are not there anymore.

The Arcade is still an interesting place to re-live luxury shopping at the beginning of the 19th century! A place for the top-hatted man of fashion to visit his glove-maker, perfumer or corsetier! (Penhaligon's have a shop there.)

http://www.burlington-arcade.co.uk/
    Last edited by Primrose; 18th February 2010 at 08:05 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

What a coincidence you you suggested Sandringham!! That's one of the others that I ordered. I also have Crown Imperial on the way.

I did check out Anglia and ordered five samples from them - spiced limes was one of them.

Today's SoTD is Eau de Cartier, but did spray a little bit of Park Royal on the back of my hand. I immediately thought of Safari by Ralph Lauren.

I'll post tomorrow and let you know how things turn out.

(Loving Basenotes, btw!)

This is proving to be an interesting thread. The sharp eye of Primose alerted me to something I had missed. I checked my collection, all the bottles are like what ThomasFox has posted, and so too the dark green box. All the addresses are Burlington Arcade, except for Buckingham which has subtly different features, notably a different address (35 Park Street). So I feel confident that I have old-school Crowns in each case, rather than the Anglia versions. Alas, if I could only find Marquis, the holy grail of Crown scents!
    BTW -- agree that Burlington Arcade in London is an amazing place. I'm glad to hear more about its history. The Penhaligons there is very nice.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasFox View Post
    What a coincidence you you suggested Sandringham!! That's one of the others that I ordered. I also have Crown Imperial on the way.

I did check out Anglia and ordered five samples from them - spiced limes was one of them.

Today's SoTD is Eau de Cartier, but did spray a little bit of Park Royal on the back of my hand. I immediately thought of Safari by Ralph Lauren.

I'll post tomorrow and let you know how things turn out.

(Loving Basenotes, btw!)
    Welcome, ThomasFox! You will find we are a fun bunch with a common insanity for fragrance.

OdysseusM is an expert on Crown Perfumery scents and was able to steer me into some scents when I began exploring this line about a year ago. The sad thing about this line is that they are no more.

I thought this interesting: "Originally, there were 47 leaseholders, six of whom were ‘industrious females’ but, in accordance with the rules of the day, even the male milliners and corsetières were addressed as ‘Madame’. Many of the tenants and their families lived under very cramped conditions above and below their shops, sharing the space with their stock." (BTW, a man who makes corsets is a corsetier...not corsetiere."

My fav is Sandringham. Please share your impressions here...
    Last edited by Primrose; 19th February 2010 at 03:06 AM.

I'm not the moderator of the group, but I do extend an invitation to one and all to view and join the Crown social group here at Basenotes. There is further discussion of the scents there.
    http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=47
    odysseusm