Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What are you mostly into?!

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Niche frags!

71 50.35%
  • Designer perfumes!

70 49.65%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Default Designer VS. Niche..!

There is a lot of love towards the niche frags here.
    But I can't be the only one who is more into designer.

Right?!

Eleanore

Default Re: Designer VS. Niche..!

I live in a small town in Ontario, Canada where the department stores don't offer much and have salespeople who don't know what an oriental floral is. So, I have to resort to the internet. I stumbled onto niche perfumes when I discovered aedes.com and luckyscent and started getting samples. I found out that there is a big difference (for me) between niche and mainstream. The niche perfumes are more substantial-more the way a perfume should smell;whereas the mainstream carry no surprises. My favourate houses are Amouage and By kILIAN. I don't think that you can find their quality in the mainstream market.

I have a feeling you're going to get pretty typical answers here, that will fall into one of the following templates:

1) I voted for designer, because I've never tried a niche fragrance, because I'm not loaded. Though it will be disguised better than that.

2) I voted niche, though I'm not a snob, I give everything it's fair shot, but nothing interests me in designer fragrances.

And I will step outside of those two and state, I'm becoming more and more of a niche snob, as the "current" designer market continues to vomit uncontrollably all over itself. Niche does not equal quality, but there's a hell of a larger chance of finding quality in the current niche market than in the current designer market.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Niche frags aren't that avalible here in little Denmark,
    so when I think of niche frags, I think of things like
    YSL's Rive Gauche (not that it's niche) and other oldlady
    scents like that (don't hate) ... no, please, give me some
    mainstream Dior or Givenchy, and I'm happy..!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 18th February 2010 at 10:56 PM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I'm with Eleanore. I didn't care for perfume for nearly 50 years … then I discovered there were good smells that had to come from outside my state.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I will purchase both without any hesitation, but always seem to be more satisfied with my niche purchases for their quality.

It doesn't have to be either/or, at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzley View Post
    It doesn't have to be either/or, at least to me.
    No no, but what do you prefer?
    One has to be more appealing to you,
    than the other..!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 18th February 2010 at 11:06 PM.

I'm a niche whore!

I like the best of both worlds. Both offer me what I need, and neither appeal to me in particular.

... guess I should have added a third option;
    'I like 'em both'! Damn!

Blog Entries

I voted designer....FOR NOW. Get back to me in 3-4 months. I'll give a better answer. Most likely, "I don't care as long as it's worth the money to me and smells great to me and on me only."

Designer

It's not that I dislike niche... It's just that most of the ones I've sampled I would have a hard time finding an occasion to wear them. Most of the niche I like I wouldn't buy because a) I wouldn't get enough use out of it, and b) a lot of the scents smell awesome as a concept, or a work of art, but I wouldn't really want to walk around smelling like that...

Not that the designer market has a lot of things I want either. In 2009, I bought two fragrances released from that year. I can't say I really mind though. It keeps my spending in check...

Both. My collection is pretty much a 50/50 split between designer and niche. Having said that, for ambers and leathers I prefer niche.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I wear both, but if someone said "from now on, you may ONLY wear designer or niche, your choice," niche would win by a mile, as most of my favorite designers are older or discontinued, while the niche market is still making lots of new releases that charm me.

I chose designer since I've tried many more and just feel more comfortable with them. I've tried a lot of niche and though ALL of them were well made, they weren't "accessible" for me. Though the ones that I felt comfortable wearing absolutely blew me away.. so it's either or. I'm not used to them just yet. I've only been into scents for about 7 months so I have a long way to go. The other issue is price. Designer is obviously much cheaper.. but once I get a good paying job, then screw it. I'll be all over niche like a mofo

I have and Love both.....I do not want to become a Niche snob as many have stated in the past.....Niche is not always better.....Designer is not always bad.....I am really into Niche at this point.....but I have my mainstream scents that I will never part with.....Gary

I think I'll sway more to the designer side.

My problem with Niche fragrances is that it's not widely available in public like designer fragrance. I can acess and easily buy a King of the Niche's aka Creed in Harvey Nichols and a couple of other brands i.e. Comme des Garcons, but if I wanted to get my hands on Amouge or Serge Leutens; Harrods is my only option. Secondly I can't really fathom spending £100+ on fragrances when you can get designer fragrances for under half the price equally as good if not better in my opinion. I'll only buy a niche if it's amazing out of this world etc... where the pricetag won't bother me. There's a couple of offerings from Creed which have made me very interested in buying and will probably will end up doing so because they're such good colognes and I'm willing to spend quite a bit if something is really good, but for now I'll be sticking to the world of designer fragances but will possibly be investing in a couple of Creeds soon because they're worth the money.

I voted for designer although I like, purchase and wear both designer and niche. But nearly all my favorite scents are designer or traditional perfume house brands, and I will generally spend money on a discontinued or hard to find designer scent before buying a new niche scent.

Designer for me. I like to smell good, plain and simple. I can do that without a problem shopping designer houses because I am picky. And I don't have enough disposable income right now to get far into niche houses. There are a few niche fragrances that I love, though.

Sur la Plage

Both
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I love niche fragrances from the big houses.

Dependent

What are you mostly into?!

At this point of time, mostly niche and older designers and VERY few current mainstream designers.

MTG said:
    And I will step outside of those two and state, I'm becoming more and more of a niche snob, as the "current" designer market continues to vomit uncontrollably all over itself. Niche does not equal quality, but there's a hell of a larger chance of finding quality in the current niche market than in the current designer market.

^This, this, this. I concur. The probability of me finding a scent that sweeps me, is mountains higher in the niche pool than compared to the saturated world of designers. I can't claim to have tested a whole lot of niche YET, but already they've impressed me well enough and I've bought into quite a number. Current designers, on the other hand, I've tested copious amounts/types and I'd strike lottery if I could even find a really good one in every 50-60 tried. As for older/vintage designers, well they're still quite a breath of fresh air for me, though suspectedly due to lack of variety of structures/resources at the time they were made, many are starting to remind me of one another.
    Last edited by MFJ; 19th February 2010 at 08:03 AM.

I didn't vote because I love many of each. Why choose one over the other?

Are there people in here who in blind test would love a frag and then completely reject it if it was revealed that it was from a niche perfumer? That's ludicrous.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 19th February 2010 at 05:16 AM.

I would be happy wearing nothing but Guerlains and Chanels. Is Guerlain designer or niche? Perfume has always been at the core of their business. Chanel is obviously designer.

Creed has made clothes since the 18th century, so they must be designer like Commes des Garçons, which only started making fragrance in the middle of the 90's.
    Last edited by tott; 19th February 2010 at 04:13 PM.

Dependent

I agree Tott, the categories are made a little ambiguous with some houses, some that you have mentioned. I guess for me, I refer to a niche house/brand as a one that is more experimental and willing to do their own thing.

I voted for niche for pretty similar reason as mstt and MTG, I'm widely oprn for any ggod designer offering and haven't even fullfilled my wish to purchase every degner thats worth the money (to me). But most of the market is just plain boring and utter rubbish.
    I noticed that I even get annoyed by the lack of creativity in some of my favourite designers.
    And then I rewear samples such as Knize 10, mazzolari mazzolari or wear some of my beloved and very first niche bottle, l'air du desert marocain. so yes, IF i HAD some disposable income I admit the reconstruction of my warbdrobe would take on a much higher speed.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I voted for designer although I like, purchase and wear both designer and niche. But nearly all my favorite scents are designer or traditional perfume house brands, and I will generally spend money on a discontinued or hard to find designer scent before buying a new niche scent.
    What he said!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I like both but I prefer mainstream, because its cheaper, easier to get, and IMO most of the designer frags on the market that I enjoy seem more complex than the majority of niche offerings.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Designer fragances

I wanted to vote both really...though I went with niche...considering that I guess if I rummage thorough enough I'd find a scent akin to me!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post

Right?!
    Right!
    Renato

I went designer because I can't see myself spending upwards of $150 to $200 or more on a fragrance. There are tons of designer scents that are great and can be had for $70 at most and usually alot cheaper. To each their own but I like to buy quality at a value.

cudnt vote as i loev both. ho cud i possibly replace Kouros, Kouros Cologne Sport, M7, Polo explorer, Baldessarini concentrate, Sartoriale and many other frags .. niche doesnt guarantee a joyful experience.
    Last edited by jenson; 19th February 2010 at 02:39 PM.

A designer house before it launches a new fragrance they study the market. The chances of us liking it are higher than any other niche
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I think this post by Scentemental might need to be required reading:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/187...%29?highlight=

It's titled, "Designer or Niche: A Reevaluation (very long post)" and I think it sums up my thinking on the matter pretty well.
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

It warms my otherwise cold as ice heart,
    to see, designer frags kicking niche ditto's
    ass..! Hell yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Designer

It's not that I dislike niche... It's just that most of the ones I've sampled I would have a hard time finding an occasion to wear them. Most of the niche I like I wouldn't buy because a) I wouldn't get enough use out of it, and b) a lot of the scents smell awesome as a concept, or a work of art, but I wouldn't really want to walk around smelling like that...

Not that the designer market has a lot of things I want either. In 2009, I bought two fragrances released from that year. I can't say I really mind though. It keeps my spending in check...
    +1 on all accounts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    Designer for me. I like to smell good, plain and simple. I can do that without a problem shopping designer houses because I am picky.
    Same here.

It warms my otherwise cold as ice heart,
    to see, designer frags kicking niche ditto's
    ass..! Hell yeah!
    What niche fragrances have you tried that put you off niche so...?

I'm actually sorry I couldn't vote for both, since both categories have their advantages and disadvantages and I like both in an equal measure

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    What niche fragrances have you tried that put you off niche so...?
    Not a single one I persume,
    (is Guerlain niche?!)
    but, I'm just glad that some
    folks still enjoy designer the
    most.
    I didn't think so, after all the
    love towards niche here on BN.

I'm not by no means 'put off' by
    niche frags - not at all.
    They are just not avalible here!

Not a single one I persume,
    (is Guerlain niche?!)
    but, I'm just glad that some
    folks still enjoy designer the
    most.
    I didn't think so, after all the
    love towards niche here on BN.

I'm not by no means 'put off' by
    niche frags - not at all.
    They are just not avalible here!
    Ah, I was imagining someone sent you a bottle of Secretions Magnifique and told you all niche fragrances smelled like that.

Niche fragrances - or even most designers, for that matter - aren't widely available here, either, I'm sorry to say. What I mostly do is order samples. Many lines will send you samples of their fragrances for quite cheap, and one can sample a large selection from places like The Perfumed Court and members of The Crystal Flacon.

I'm a HUGE Dior addict, but,
    I so wanna be a niche-snob.
    I just haven't got the chance
    ... well, yet!
    I'm not cheap - at all,
    so it's not the price which
    holds me back..!

I must try the sampling trick!

I started to like niche fragrances not a long time ago so I can't say I'm totally into niche frags,maybe 20-30%. Would be good if you add at the poll the option for both.I like both.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciprian View Post
    I started to like niche fragrances not a long time ago so I can't say I'm totally into niche frags,maybe 20-30%. Would be good if you add at the poll the option for both.I like both.
    Yeah, I should have,
    but then again, the
    question is; what are
    you mostly into?!

This is a fool's dichotomy.
    I have Bowling Green.
    I have Windsor.
    The scent is all that counts.

But I can't be the only one who is more into designer...
    There is alot of love towards alot of fragrances. Why would you think there are only a few that prefer designer ?
    Last edited by Surfacing; 19th February 2010 at 05:49 PM.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    There is alot of love towards alot of fragrances. Why would you think there are only a few that prefer designer ?
    I just thought the majority (sp?)
    would be into niche..!

Yeah, I should have,
    but then again, the
    question is; what are
    you mostly into?!
    Well ,then it's the designer (at the moment).

Availability also comes into it, too. Here, Annick Goutal are available at department stores, and are thus not really "niche" in terms of availability, but YSL, while clearly designer, are no-where to be found.

Availability also comes into it, too. Here, Annick Goutal are available at department stores, and are thus not really "niche" in terms of availability, but YSL, while clearly designer, are no-where to be found.
    WOW, unbelievable!
    Here you can fine YSL
    in the bigger grocery stores!

WOW, unbelievable!
    Here you can fine YSL
    in the bigger grocery stores!

Yes. I'm just about the only Basenoter who has never tried Kouros...

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    This is a fool's dichotomy.
    I have Bowling Green.
    I have Windsor.
    The scent is all that counts.
    Thank you. This topic usually leads nowhere.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    A designer house before it launches a new fragrance they study the market. The chances of us liking it are higher than any other niche
    Wrong. Let me give you an example of what a designer does before launching a scent.

" Guys let's launch our very own version of Coca-Cola, but let's call it Pop!"
    " Yea but not everyone love Coca-Cola, how are we possibly going to make a profit, if not everyone likes it"
    " Ok, here's a better idea, let's release bottled water, no one hates water, right?"
    " Perfect! It's fool proof"

And that is how they scan the market, your chances of "liking" it are higher, but your chances of LOVING it, are about 5%.

Edit: This is only the CURRENT market, and not 100% of the time. As much as I dislike A*Men, Thierry Mugler continues to innovate.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 19th February 2010 at 09:20 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Ah, I was imagining someone sent you a bottle of Secretions Magnifique and told you all niche fragrances smelled like that.

Niche fragrances - or even most designers, for that matter - aren't widely available here, either, I'm sorry to say. What I mostly do is order samples. Many lines will send you samples of their fragrances for quite cheap, and one can sample a large selection from places like The Perfumed Court and members of The Crystal Flacon.
    I agree, all this talk about availability confuses me. I have access to exactly 0 niche fragrances, not a single one, even my designer market is pitiful. I buy ONLINE.

I liked designer ( my first scent was YSL Opium ). But when I knew niche. I preferred niche. Just because I wanna smell better

Un profumo affettuoso

Right?!
    Of course, you are not the only one!
    When I started loving perfumes... as a kid - there was no such thing as NICHE or NOT-NICHE.
    There were perfumes like Bandit, Vent Vert, Fidji... - gorgeous fragrances I'd still swim a mile for.
    NICHE was basically invented to emphasize the "exclusiveness" of the product, i.e. perfume- and to make more money.

I will always prefer Y by Yves Saint Laurent, La Nuit by Paco Rabanne or Diorella by DIOR to any of the posh niche-frags available now.

Niche for me..

Wink Re: Designer VS. Niche..!

Designer, but ... I think think the preference might develop in stages. Since jumping into fragrances a year ago, I've bought about 100 bottles. Designers are readily available and relatively cheap, and many get great reviews, even from the niche "snobs." But it's come time to whittle down my collection and buy more smartly. In the near future, I'll probably start sampling niche scents from Perfume Court or Basenoters. Then I'll come back and tell you which is correct.
    Last edited by RJR; 6th March 2010 at 07:40 PM.

1. In my current circumstances purchasing niche is more practical simply for the access (internet) to samples. I will not buy blind.
    2. The market being flooded by designer aquatics and nightclub scents was what kept me out of scent for 25 years.