Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question The One or Alternative?

After trying several fragrances at my last excursion to the mall, I am strongly considering picking up a bottle of The One(man) by Dolce and Gabanna. I never actually tried it on, but it was my favorite on the scent strip. I'm trying to cut down on fragrance purchases and read in some of the reviews that there are silage / longevity issues with it. Any thoughts would be welcome as are any alternative recomendations. Thanks.

Default Re: The One or Alternative?

- smells different on skin (more fruity?) compared to paper strip, try it on skin before you buy
    - sillage: not a sillage monster, but not a skin scent either. i actually like that as i often come into close proximity to other people.
    - it's one of my favorites, but i don't like the weak longevity on my skin. staying power is better on paper/clothes.

Post Thanks / Like

Handsome Toad.....you might want to give Silver Shadow by Davidoff a try. I have worn both (I own Silver Shadow) and I noticed some similarities (all things are subjective as always, however). I get very good longevity from Silver Shadow, and although I suspect that the sillage is not outstanding, I believe it was designed that way. Silver Shadow may be a viable alternative for you. Give it a test!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Try it on your skin and go from there. If you still love it, get it and wear it.
    But if you're looking for alternatives at similar price range, you could try these:-

Dolce & Gabana pour Homme - classy, much better overall performer
    Juicy Couture's Dirty English - sharper with cedar, a little boozy
    London for Men by Burberry - smoky woods with a little port note

Btw try buy it off a Basenoter.. I'm sure you can get it for less.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Try it on your skin and go from there. If you still love it, get it and wear it.
    But if you're looking for alternatives at similar price range, you could try these:-

Dolce & Gabana pour Homme - classy, much better overall performer
    Juicy Couture's Dirty English - sharper with cedar, a little boozy
    London for Men by Burberry - smoky woods with a little port note

Btw try buy it off a Basenoter.. I'm sure you can get it for less.
    I have the Dirty English already and also own Jaipur Homme (which I read is similar to the London.) I also just ordered Bogart Pour Homme (instead of The Dreamer) and Antonio (as in Banderas) today. I'll check the for sale threads and see if I can find a bottle before I buy it elsewhere, but think you're probably right about giving it a wear first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Toad View Post
    I...also own Jaipur Homme (which I read is similar to the London.)
    They are classified together in the same fragrance family, Woody Oriental - Crisp, but London has a boozy aspect that Jaipur Homme does not. They are different enough that I suggest that you at least try London for Men on your skin.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I must say it's a fine aesthetic..extremely formal and suave...If that's what you're looking for...then by all means..it's ya main man! It's not extremely evocative per se..but instead is widely appreciated by the plebeian census!

Enjoy it!

I give it a 4.3/5

Appropriate and Very Tolerable!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Post Thanks / Like

I tested Fleur du Male and The One on different wrists on the same day. They both have sexy orange blossom. I chose the more gay Fleur du Male because it was straight up and down orange blossom. The One is definitely very nice and manly.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    I tested Fleur du Male and The One on different wrists on the same day. They both have sexy orange blossom. I chose the more gay Fleur du Male because it was straight up and down orange blossom. The One is definitely very nice and manly.
    i find the one very similar to GPH, only that the one has a sweet note thats absent from GPH. I tried both on same wrist. I know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you enjoy The One then get it! I really like it as well.

Hi guys!

First post, finally...

I also like The One, but it always leaves me wanting more. So Iīve been looking for a similar but stronger alternative as well.

More experienced noses suggested

Michael Kors
    Baldessarini Ambre
    Versace Blue Jeans.

I havenīt tried one of those yet though. But if The One is exactly what youīre looking for, then go for it and try spraying liberally- hair, clothes, everything...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    They are classified together in the same fragrance family, Woody Oriental - Crisp, but London has a boozy aspect that Jaipur Homme does not. They are different enough that I suggest that you at least try London for Men on your skin.
    I like booze. I (as well as the SA) really enjoyed the boozy opening of Havana (which I wore at last mall excusion) but the strong tobacco note became too much for me to handle. Does the London's tobacco come on as strong or is it more subtle?

Get it and apply liberally! It's a bit weak but it's my favorite D&G followed by D&G pour Homme. Sadly those are the only two still in production that are worth anything though.

I sampled London only once and to me the tobacco didnīt stand out. Canīt comment on Havana. If you like booze you should also try Le Dandy by DīOrsay. Too much booze for me, unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, come on, admit it- you secretly like the bottle! At night when you are all alone in your bed smelling all orange blossomy, you caress the bottle while making a soft coo-ing sound until you fall asleep.

(Sorry friend, I couldn't resist)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, come on, admit it- you secretly like the bottle! At night when you are all alone in your bed smelling all orange blossomy, you caress the bottle while making a soft coo-ing sound until you fall asleep.

(Sorry friend, I couldn't resist)
    The only bottle I bring to bed with me is Rochas Man. It would be better if it vibrated and came in a 6.8 oz.

Last edited by Spray; 19th February 2010 at 05:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The only bottle I bring to bed with me is Rochas Man. It would be better if it vibrated.

You win. I can't even think of anything to say that wouldn't get me in trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, come on, admit it- you secretly like the bottle!
    lol

Actually, I think Fleur du Male is my coolest bottle and The Dreamer is in second place. I love statues and busts in museums.

Last edited by Spray; 19th February 2010 at 05:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For me London's tobacco isn't very pronounced. I get more wine and spice than anything.. it's been awhile since I wore it though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    For me London's tobacco isn't very pronounced. I get more wine and spice than anything.. it's been awhile since I wore it though.
    I'll have to reserve a wrist for it next fragrance sampling (along with The One).

Post Thanks / Like

lol

Actually, I think Fleur du Male is my coolest bottle and The Dreamer is in second place. I love statues and busts in museums.

I love Busts, too but they dont have to be in a museum. The beaches here in SoCal are a good place to view them.

I really like The Dreamer bottle too, but you talked me into buying the Bogart instead. Some friend you are.

SoCal... then sillage is probably not a problem at all. The One loves warm weather. Iīve worn it a lot on warm summer nights last year and it projected just right. Longevity isnīt that bad either.

London on the other hand is more a winter-scent, I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I sampled The One once, but it wasn't really to my liking. So I can't give you much advice on it. Though, Tommy Bahama may be something you'd enjoy. Give it a test if you haven't already.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like The Dreamer bottle too, but you talked me into buying the Bogart instead. Some friend you are.
    I have Bogart also

I like it better than The Dreamer, but the Bogart bottle is boring.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought The One. Will probably buy Burberry London before the weekend is over. I have no self control. Well, at least I will smell good!

lol

i think thierry mugler's website allows you to tatoo your name on the ass of the flacon...

i guess you could paint fleur du male's flacon with some acrylic paint for some extra detail. remember to use pink for the nipples

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
    i think thierry mugler's website allows you to tatoo your name on the ass of the flacon...

i guess you could paint fleur du male's flacon with some acrylic paint for some extra detail. remember to use pink for the nipples
    I love the all-white bottle, it reminds me of a marble statue. I think the only guys afraid to own a bottle like this are guys who...
    Last edited by Spray; 20th February 2010 at 04:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought The One. Will probably buy Burberry London before the weekend is over. I have no self control. Well, at least I will smell good!
    I think you should buy something for Spring instead of Winter-friendly London. M7 Fresh, maybe.
    Last edited by Spray; 20th February 2010 at 04:14 AM.

After trying several fragrances at my last excursion to the mall, I am strongly considering picking up a bottle of The One(man) by Dolce and Gabanna. Thanks.
    I agree with everything that Spray says, it's odd, but he's really there for you.

I love the all-white bottle, it reminds me of a marble statue. I think the only guys afraid to own a bottle like this are guys who...
    i have no love for le juice. but the bottle has an ass. AN ASS!

i kinda find it somewhat similar to kouros.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I agree with everything that Spray says, it's odd, but he's really there for you.
    Yes... he's there for me... as an agent of the fragrance companies, I'm wise to him (He must be getting paid by the post!) And I blame him for "making me" purchase fragrances. If you are ever in New York, keep an eye out for him- I found his picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes... he's there for me... as an agent of the fragrance companies, I'm wise to him (He must be getting paid by the post!) And I blame him for "making me" purchase fragrances. If you are ever in New York, keep an eye out for him- I found his picture.

lol That guy is like 3 times my age. Nice taste in clothes and women, though!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll bet he wore Versace Bright Crystal that night.

Last edited by Spray; 20th February 2010 at 05:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

lol That guy is like 3 times my age. Nice taste in clothes and women, though!
    I SOOOOOO wish I could pull off that look. Women want him, men want to be him.
    Last edited by Handsome Toad; 20th February 2010 at 05:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I SOOOOOO wish I could pull off that look. Women want him, men want to be him.
    You're a handsome toad, why would you want to be a bloated Howard Stern?

Last edited by Spray; 20th February 2010 at 05:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You're a handsome toad, why would you want to be a bloated Howard Stern?

Because Women want him and Men want to be him.

Post Thanks / Like

Because Women want him and Men want to be him.
    Don't worry, The One is in the mail. I'm sure you'll have all the chubsters and butter faces sitting on your face in no time.
    Last edited by Spray; 20th February 2010 at 05:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm reminded of this guy:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I'm reminded of this guy:

My brothers would have told me "you can't sing for shit" long before I put Simon's name on my hat! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry, The One is in the mail. I'm sure you'll have all the chubsters and butter faces sitting on your face in no time.
    LOL, Hells Yeah, I look forward to it! Just remember the "chubsters and butterfaces" (as you so kindly put it) need some of the "Sweet Lovin'" too! I won't say any more on this subject as I don't want to bring down the ire of the Moderators upon myself.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, Hells Yeah, I look forward to it! Just remember the "chubsters and butterfaces" (as you so kindly put it) need some of the "Sweet Lovin'" too! I won't say any more on this subject as I don't want to bring down the ire of the Moderators upon myself.
    lol
    The mods here are super cool. Just don't necro post, abuse other members, or say anything too crazy and they'll leave you be.

lol
    The mods here are super cool. Just don't necro post, abuse other members, or say anything too crazy and they'll leave you be.
    well worst comes to worst you will encounter hostile BN members. no biggie :P

I loved the original The One for women - well, it smelled great on women anyway. I remember hoping that they would produce a similarly great frag for men. I don't think they did. To me it smells like a poor man's Le Dandy by Parfums D'Orsay.

I think it has longevity issues and the sillage is poor.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I really enjoy The One. It is the only fragrance I owned 'pre-basenotes' that I have kept - the rest didn't cut the mustard when I discovered gems from here.

The One was probably the first fragrance I loved... it was before I was that interested in fragrance, I was just killing time and smelling random fragrances in a shop. I was not impressed at all until I reached the One, and wow, I thought, 'I must have this!'