Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: About very expensive fragrances. Placebo effect.

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    That is interesting- I may also be guilty of that too i.e "gee, this smells pretty terrific, and it's only 17.99- whereas, if the same bottle had been 179.99, I might have said " it's nice but for that price, it should wow me."

So the blind testing idea is probably a really good idea for someone like me. Good suggestion.
    I feel like if the houses are going to try and tell me that 50mL of similar ingredients composed in a different way with maybe some other high quality ingredients is worth $200 more of my money that the smell should be transcendent!!! And sometimes it is, since I myself have bought Amouage products... Personally I agree with what you're saying, it should be a buffer for what is worth buying.
    Last edited by justaguy; 20th February 2010 at 03:39 AM.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

It's not just about the frag. It's about the presentation. And I love quality of presentation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    The more expensive it is the harder I judge it.
    I think there is something to the theory, and like justaguy, I'm sure I do this too. I've posted this a couple times already in other threads, but I did the Cool Water/GIT side-by-side test recently. GIT was a little nicer than Cool Water, but they were so similar (at least for the first few hours) that IMO GIT is not worth $100+ more. Similarly, Himalaya and Paco XS are very much alike as well, and I actually prefer XS.

Placebos are always more expensive than actual pleasures, just ask Mercedes Benz.

xxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by mrclmind; 20th February 2010 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Placebos are always more expensive than actual pleasures, just ask Mercedes Benz.
    I bought my mercedes because I liked the car and found it pleasurable to drive, NOT because of the price.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

This placebo effect does exists but I doubt if it affects everyone the same way. For example, a consumer may rationalize purchases which are deemed 'expensive' or 'indulgent', placing emphasis on quality and prestige over scent artistry/aesthetics, pretty much the same way a woman might talk about a pricey Louis Vuitton handbag she just bought.

While I accept the merits of a blind test, I have yet to encounter an instance when a $200-a-bottle juice actually loses out to a juice costing $25/bottle in terms of sheer quality, other factors remaining comparable. But to actually convince yourself that the more expensive frag is 8x better than the other is another matter altogether. Example: 1725 by Histoires de Parfums vs Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge. Similar smelling at first impression but the former is more complex, lasts longer and has better a quality drydown. But is 1725 10x better even if the price is 10x as much? Not likely as the relationship between price and quality is never linear.

To counter possible placebo effect, I find sampling from similar looking vials factor out the effect of impressive packaging or pricing on perceptions.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 20th February 2010 at 03:55 PM.
    Currently wearing: Sartorial by Penhaligon's

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

This is an interesting NPR audio download concerning the psychology of pricing:

http://www.scpr.org/programs/airtalk...hy-of-pricing/
    "Are you a god?"
    "No"
    "Are you a wizard?"
    "No"
    "Are you a man?"
    "No"
    "Then what are you?"
    "I am awake.."

I think this applies to frags to a degree. But the nature of scent is very different than cars or designer purses, especially for Basenoters. For most people who've been in here for 2-3 months, our relationship with scent changes and our understanding of this industry morphs. Most everyone in here has experienced trying a very pricey frag and deciding they didn't like, or didn't like it enough to buy it. Likewise, most in here have some inexpensive scents they like as much any high priced offering.

When I first started, I was smitten with Amouage, but in the end, only Dia Man made the cut.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 20th February 2010 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sean-dt View Post
    I think I'll buy some Coty Musk Cologne and put it in a fancy bottle and sell it for 400 euro per ounce. Wealth and power shall be mine!!!
    There's actually nothing stopping you from doing this =) or stopping Creed etc. from doing this. In fact, you could make the argument that Creed essentially does do this Green Irish Tweed which is one of their most popular products. The only major change is the astronomical price difference and a few dollars more on the ingredients. That seems like excellent proof that money can be the most seductive perfume ingredient.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    But there seems to be an ever-growing anti-snob snobbery sentiment flooding these boards as of late.
    ¡El perfumistas unido, jamás será vencido! =D

I disagree that all high priced niche fragrances are obviously better than some of the more obvious designer fragrances. There are plenty of designer fragrances which smell as though they are made with quality ingredients - take Ungaro III as an example, which smells more delightfully opulent than many niche fragrances.

Some niche fragrances warrant the difference in price I grant you, but by no means all of them.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I disagree that all high priced niche fragrances are obviously better than some of the more obvious designer fragrances. There are plenty of designer fragrances which smell as though they are made with quality ingredients - take Ungaro III as an example, which smells more delightfully opulent than many niche fragrances.

Some niche fragrances warrant the difference in price I grant you, but by no means all of them.
    I would consider Ungaro fragrances more niche than most niche fragrances. You can't find that stuff anywhere in the US. When I consider designer, I'm talking your Ed Hardy, Versace, Armani, etc. stuff.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

More $$$ definitely means nothing in terms of quality. One of my favorite scents is the Australian brand of wool wash detergent "Softly" in the pink bottle which I would put against any niche florals any day. And I know at $6.99 a liter of detergent the formula cannot be that expensive and is probably all-synthetic. Still, I want to meet whoever formulated that scent and shake their hands vigorously and ask if they can formulate that in an EDP.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Like in all other areas - wine, food, tailoring - the placebo effect regarding perfume diminishes the more you learn about the subject matter by study and experience. Knowledge really IS power.
    You can make a decent perfume from cheap materials, and you can fail to make a good perfume from expensie materials. But a truly great perfume requires the best materials, time, and a talented nose. But even that need not be as expensive as many high end niches are though, and it's generally the small independent perfumers who are proving this these days.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 22nd February 2010 at 08:54 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.