Code of Conduct

Default Lesser Known Serge Lutens

We all sing the praises of the major players in the Serge Lutens line, such as Chergui--and rightfully so. But I was wondering if there are any lesser known SL fragranes that don't get a lot of talk here on BN. I understand that SL aren't marketed as masculine or feminine, but I'm really not interested in any scents that tip over the line to the femme side of things.

With that in mind, can you recommend any that are worth trying?
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 19th February 2010 at 03:18 PM.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Dependent

Default Re: Lesser Known Serge Lutens

Not sure which ones you have tried already, but Santal Blanc is a favorite of mine that I suspect is lesser known, purely based on the very few discussions about it on BN. I went through some posts and discussions about it not too long ago, and majority who replied did not really fancy it.

Basenotes Institution

Well not many here discuss Douce Amere, and it's just lovely stuff. I also agree with matthewfoo, regarding the lack of talk about Santal Blanc - but I honestly hated that juice when I tested it.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th February 2010 at 05:17 AM.

I suppose it comes up occasionally but I found Gris Clair to be rather unique and almost impossible to find. I'd love to sample this a bit more or even get a decant but I've never seen it anywhere!
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Mandarine Mandarin is a sleeper in the line, in my opinion. It's like a more sophisticated Fleurs d'Oranger; in fact, it's almost a flanker of that fragrance stylistically, but more complex and "grown up".

Rose de Nuit and La Myrrhe get very little talk here. I think they're both great, but I can see why. Rose de Nuit is a very dark, retro, animalic chypre; La Myrrhe is a very Avante Garde myrrh and aldehyde pairing.

Blog Entries

I personally enjoy Un Bois Sepia. It's the most masculine take on the Feminite du Bois original (though it's still got that FDB cherry/plum patchouli topnote so it's still not that masculine...)
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Bois Oriental is my favorite of the "bois" series, yet I know of only one other fan.

Vetiver Oriental is great. It starts off all Lutensesque, but the vetiver note is fairly raw when it takes over. I didn't want to buy another vetiver perfume, but it was the clear winner when sniffing the bell jars at the boutique.

One more vote for Un Bois Sépia.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Hmmm...Maybe...for me...Serge Noire...new and nicely produced. A bit prominent of desert-like spices, Ie; the notorious cinnamon note! though it's only new and still...to me...feels like a fairly tacit scent

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Fumerie Turque: it has its admirers, I'm one, but it's rarely mentioned here.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 20th February 2010 at 12:38 PM.

I've tested the vast majority of them and my top four are: Gris Clair, MKK, Fumerie Turque, and Ambre Sultan - all of which are discussed a fair amount on here. As far as I can tell, there aren't really any great "sleepers" in this line. I think basenotes has covered Serge Lutens very thoroughly.

Serge Noire got a bit of attention when it first came out, but then it was more or less panned. I tried it and jumped on the bandwagon and panned it too. And to be sure, the first 5 minutes of this scent borders on hideous. But then it develops into a beautiful dark and dry woodsy sent that last for hours. I'm glad I gave it a second try, and now own a bottle.

I think Vetiver Oriental is great, and has a sublime drydown.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Serge Lutens as made a number of scents that have tremendous subtlety created by blending notes that have very similar values of intensity resulting in fragrances that don't shout or make bold statements. These more subtle fragrances have never gotten a lot mention or notice but they are fantastic fragrances anyway. I am sure there are others like these, but these are worth checking out. They all are winners but because they make such a subdued statement they don't ever get strong champions singing their praises like MKK, Chergui or Ambre Sultan do.

Daim Blonde- a very subtle and recessive scent of apricot and suede leather. A very fine fragrance.
    Douce Amere - also very much a pastel tone poem of softness from: wormwood, anise, cinnamon, lily, chocolate ,cedar - all very soft mid tone pleasant notes.
    Santal Blanc - an interplay of spices that will not overpower the softness of sandalwood: fenugreek, black sesame, cumin, sandalwood results in a buttery smoothe spicey sandalwood that I found to be very enjoyable.
    Encens et Lavande - a grey chalky lavender accord mixed with frankincense. One of the all time best lavender fragrances in my opinion. A favorite for me.

all are excellent.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 20th February 2010 at 02:25 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I do tire of Sheldrake's syrupy fruit + woods signature accord sometimes. Perhaps that's why I enjoy these few:-

Douce Amere
    Serge Noire
    5 O'clock Au Gingembre
    Sa Majeste la Rose
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 20th February 2010 at 04:43 PM.

Mandarin Mandarine is a definite must try. I find this to be the perfect scent for the Christmas season; its warm, sweet (but not too sweet) and comforting.
    Last edited by surreality; 21st February 2010 at 12:14 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I agree with the Encens et Lavande and La Myrrhe recs.

I like Rose de Nuit, but I do see it as a very feminine and sexual fragrance. You might like Fleurs de Citronnier (I get more orange blossom than lemon blossom) if you like Fleurs d'Oranger.

Santal de Mysore doesn't seem to get too much talk. I like it a good deal.