Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What do you think of Chanel's Platinum Egoiste?

Heard good things on some youtube videos about this stuff. What is the verdict on this here on the forums?

Default Re: What do you think of Chanel's Platinum Egoiste?

Bought it a few years ago, and it's the only one I still wear. Lasts forever on me, classy, IMO.

I gotta tell ya I like it. Starts with a floral blast, strong, but not over powering.As it moves into the heart the mid notes are bright, and crisp, and clearly defined.Drydown is a woody experience. Nothing over the top, just a simple woody drydown with a hint of Vetiver. Nothing earth shaking here just a simple scent that just plain smells good.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Sur la Plage

Meh. It is OK, but nothing worth owning IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It smells great, but its pretty brash and cocky. It took me a while to get used to it. Its like Cool Water with a soapy woody twist and a bung load of aldehydes.

Smells exactly like gilette shaving cream
    Check out my YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JRWRlTER

Hate it with a passion. It has a weird bitter/synthetic-smelling "woody" note that I've smelled in a few others and simply can't stand.

It's too similar to Eternity for Men and XS pour Homme. I prefer XS pH.

Have it and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by edelzwicker View Post
    It smells great, but its pretty brash and cocky. It took me a while to get used to it. Its like Cool Water with a soapy woody twist and a bung load of aldehydes.
    You know, that's a really good description of it. It is kind of brash, but what separates it from the Cool Waters and Polo Sports of its time is the unusual interplay between the smoked mirrors and the barber's shaving soap; gives it a little extra class and swagger at the same time. It's one of those scents that would be "loud" by nature, not by application. It's almost a bit anachronistic to wear this right now-- I think in terms of "fashion waves" most of the other scents that came out at the same time this one did and were superpopular (Polo Sport, CK Escape for Men, Hugo for Men) are out of style for the moment-- but somehow Egoiste Platinum escaped being ubiquitous (at least in the USA) after the time of its release--and as such, it doesn't seem so familiar as to breed contempt.

I think it's great!

Last edited by Indie_Guy; 20th February 2010 at 01:01 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    It's too similar to Eternity for Men and XS pour Homme. I prefer XS pH.
    XS? As in Paco Rab. XS? hmm That one smells fruity all the way (strawberries on me).

Platinum to me is metallic/fresh/musky. Hard for me to describe, best just try it on your skin.

This is my favorite Chanel.....Just a fantastic fragrance.....Gary

Fine stuff, but no big deal.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I think it is wonderful stuff. It is really well made, high quality, and oozes class.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Platinum Egoiste to me is a workhorse fresh frag in the same vein of Chrome because of it's very good longevity and sillage.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    XS? As in Paco Rab. XS? hmm That one smells fruity all the way (strawberries on me).

Platinum to me is metallic/fresh/musky. Hard for me to describe, best just try it on your skin.
    Yes, Paco Rabanne XS pour Homme. I think you confuse it with Paco Rabanne Black XS pour Homme which is sweet and fruity. I do have XS pH and PE, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    Yes, Paco Rabanne XS pour Homme. I think you confuse it with Paco Rabanne Black XS pour Homme which is sweet and fruity. I do have XS pH and PE, BTW.
    Ah that is it. I apologize. I just remember testing an "XS" last weekend (first time in years I've been cologne testing), and it was fruity. It was Black XS, thanks for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I think it is wonderful stuff. It is really well made, high quality, and oozes class.
    Agreed

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

High quality ingredients used for a rather generic kind of frag, from what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Hate it with a passion. It has a weird bitter/synthetic-smelling "woody" note that I've smelled in a few others and simply can't stand.
    Ditto.

Being one who fell in love with the original (and The One and Only) ╔go´ste at first sniff, who wore it as a signature for years and even got married wearing it I can't understand why they gave this monstrosity its name.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŘber muss man schreiben."

PE may be a well made fragrance but i find it extremely boring.
    Last edited by jss; 20th February 2010 at 07:44 AM.

One of the many that can easily earn compliment from both genders. It's in my Top 20.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I remember reading the reviews in the directory before buying this one. There where a few references to new money, young Hollywood party trash or whatnot. I can see these points of view because, you're dead on, it's classy but loud by nature. It puts across a vibe that is like HEY LOOK AT ME I HAVE REFINED TASTE AND MONEY!!! There isn't really anything understated about it. At first I was a little put off by by that fact, but know I wear it all the time because it just smells good. Not very work friendly IMO.

Edit: Sorry this was meant as a reply to Indie_Guy in Post #10
    Last edited by edelzwicker; 20th February 2010 at 06:35 AM.

I've always enjoyed wearing PE and don't understand why it divides people into camps who love the original Egoiste but hate PE. I have both and love both, but wear PE more often as I think it's probably the more versatile fragrance of the two.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I think it's very well made, although it's a type of fragrance I don't wear. I've been looking for something more modern for a change, and this could be it.

Easy, call em on the phone and platinum Chanel cologne and I stay, dressed, to impress Spark these bitches interest Sex is all I expect-Notorious BIG

I guess PE is friendly with the pimp-ass Gees

First time I smelled it I loved it, alongside Aqua di Gio. Now after smelling sophisticated fragrances like Chergui and Bond no 9's it's very bland and linear and uninviting. But clubby.

Once again, you have my permission to read my review.
    And there were wiser reviewers

What more can I say?
    Invite me to the wedding.

Let us hope that if the groom wears Platinum Egoiste, the bride wears Pink Sugar

That would be a match made in Disco Heaven

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 20th February 2010 at 09:50 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I find it screechy and one-dimensional. I'm not sure I'd want to be in the same airspace with a person wearing Platinum Egoiste. Having said that, it probably can smell ok given the right skin chemistry AND if not overapplied.

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    One of the many that can easily earn compliment from both genders. It's in my Top 20.
    Totally agree with you

I don't know. But on me the dry down of Platinum Egoiste smells EXACTLY like Curve for men (the original). Anybody spots the similarity?

Very little. I would never buy it. (I say this even though Chanel is my favorite house.)

I feel that Herrera for Men does it a lot better then Platinum Egoiste.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    I don't know. But on me the dry down of Platinum Egoiste smells EXACTLY like Curve for men (the original). Anybody spots the similarity?
    Not to me. My father had Curve for a long time, a long time and so did my brother. Never does it smell like PE to my nose. Different league, imo.

I wouldn't buy it at half the price.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

One of my all time favorite. I will be lost without PE.

this scent will make you smell like a guy at is an asshole to women, the player type thats the vibe i get from it anyway.

Smells like Abercrombie+Fitch done with better materials. Not in a negative way, but I still hate it.
    >_>
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

my thoughts on Platinum Egoiste . . .

1. people, calm the f down - yeah it's nothing like Egoiste at all, but it was released in the early 90's, you've almost had 20 years to get over your frustrations - and it's obvious Platinum is a gem all its own. i feel like there isn't as much hate there between Gucci Ph and it PH2 brother, and it's only been maybe 3-4 years for them.

2. i don't know what it is, but Platinum Egoiste, even though i smelled its 'brothers' like Herrera, Eternity - Egoiste has still managed to kill the both of them with its longevity and sophistication - ok, the sophistication is totally due to Chanel's marketing/distribution practices probably, but i was at an Ulta today smelling Herrera and Eternity on sample strips and its almost like those houses have completely relegated them to dust collecting standbys that hold the foundation of there fragrance family. i imagine when they first came out, they weren't as weak/synthetic smelling as they are now. that being said, every bottle of PE that i have bought has the incredible/loud strength every Chanel men's frag has had pre-2004.

3. PE can still be relevant and classy nowadays - just limit yourself to 2 sprays on bare skin under a shirt and you'll be fine - seriously all you need. more than that then you become "that cologne guy"

4. PE does get old. i had a bottle from '04 to '07 that definitely was all the synthetic PE top notes once we approached '07. i bought a recent bottle in '09 and the stuff is just lush, really, compared to my old bottle. that being said, when you buy a fresh bottle, this stuff is so full bodied and noisy (again why i say only wear 2 sprays on bare skin under a shirt). sometimes 1 spray is enough . . . keep in mind this is a guy that sprays like 5 sprays of Christian Lacroix Tumulte everywhere (which for me has been one of the quietest frags i've worn).

don't buy into the hate on PE too much. its a great anytime, anywhere scent (of course that def is qualified by the amount you put on) but i have never ever had a bad response this gem. its def a basenotes 'all purpose classic'
    Last edited by sbbbjm; 21st February 2010 at 07:03 AM.

Sorry to say...though Chanel is the superior here.....Egoiste proves vitiated by the will of the Strong Beeswax absolute and jets of florals...

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

nvm
    Last edited by dreamer81; 12th November 2010 at 05:35 PM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Being an original ╦go´ste addict,
    I very much dislike this one.
    Too manly ... too butch!

But then again, I'm not at all
    into fresh frags.
    Well, besides Dior's Dune PH.

Great scent!
    Makes you feel like a Million Bucks.
    I truly enjoy wearing this to the office.
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

PE is one of those frags that sometimes I love, and sometimes I hate. I can't really explain why though.

Love it. All time favorite scent.

It's obviously very high quality. But despite testing it numerous times, I just never could warm to it.
    Other similar style scents of the time, like Eternity, I like much more.

Renato

It`s sophisticated indeed, but there is that metallic-note in there that almost make me sick..

It is nice to wear once and awhile, but not an everyday fragrance.

Smells refined, confident, and somewhat young at the same time.

I LIke this one, it's a fine frag

Quote Originally Posted by thierry mugler View Post
    Smells exactly like gilette shaving cream
    True, I initially thought that PE smelled mediocre, but over time I came to like it.
    There is nothing wrong with smelling like gilette shaving cream all day.

Its nice, but generic.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and ConcentrÚ d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like it, but I don't think I could ever love it.

I keep trying to like it, but every time I sample it I end up scrubbing it off after about an hour. Just not my thing.

I don't fall into the Egoiste vs PE camp, I like both. PE is a great, long lasting fragrance and better than their latest creation.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

If I could only have one fragrance, that would be it. Very versatile, very classy type scent.

There's a brand of men's cosmetics called Nickel. Platinum Egoiste smells exactly like the the fragrance in these products. If you love Platinum then I would suggest you seek these out. I'm not sure if Chanel do a full bath line for Platinum but I think Nickel might be a little less expensive though not by much.

http://www.nickelspalondon.co.uk/Home/Default.aspx

Personally, I'd go for the original Egoiste every time.

I love it. One of my favourites, for sure. It just oozes class and masculinity without being too brash. I'll always have it in my collection.

Love it. As others have said it is pure class. Can be worn with a suit, at a romantic setting or casually. Great stuff.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan