Code of Conduct

Wink Millésime Imperial vs. Bois Du Portugal

I want to buy either one of these. BN members, help me choose one. It's the last fragrance I buy until September (a promise to self).

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by trapper; 20th February 2010 at 12:12 PM.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Default Re: Millésime Imperial vs. Bois Du Portugal

I'd go with BDP for Longevity, As well as that awesome drydown!

MI is more versatile in terms of where and when you can wear it. But BdP is far better, IMO. The rich, smokey, spicy depth. . . wonderful stuff. Problem is, BdP is more of a cold weather fragrance. A bit too heavy for warm weather wear. Still -- I'd spring for BdP. You'll love it.

They are both so different your best bet is to sample them both. The price is steep to make a blind buy. If I had to choose one I would go for MI as its more versatile.

I'd seriously consider trying a sample of each of them first, given the price involved.

In my opinion, BdP is one of the greats, whereas I don't see the appeal of MI at all. In fact I'm not a great fan of the Creed acquatics in general.

To me, it's clearly BDP, but not because I don't like MI,but just because I think that BDP is hard to be surpassed either by other Creed frags or by frags by any other house.

Sampled these two just the other day, especially after the raves on basenotes.

Found the drydown of BDP old-fartish and boring. Napoleon is supposed to have used 120 bottles within 3 months, the SA said (because he didn't get a bath when he was fighting on the battlefields). So unless you are as old as good old Nappy would be now, I would recommend you a bottle of Knize Ten instead. It's a much more interesting scent.

And MI didn't impress me either - for the money it costs.

But I don't understand the hype about Creed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis View Post

Found the drydown of BDP old-fartish and boring. Napoleon is supposed to have used 120 bottles within 3 months, the SA said (because he didn't get a bath when he was fighting on the battlefields). So unless you are as old as good old Nappy would be now, I would recommend you a bottle of Knize Ten instead. It's a much more interesting scent.

Did you ask the SA if Napoleon traveled a hundred and eighty years into the future to buy BdP? Or did he stop and fight a few wars while he was here?

For the money, I wouldn't blind buy any Creed, but suggesting Knize Ten over the two he wants is just madness, especially as a blind buy for a beginner! That stuff is knock your socks off powerful and how do you think BdP is old-fartish and Knize Ten is not?
    Last edited by PorkFat; 20th February 2010 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    MI is more versatile in terms of where and when you can wear it. But BdP is far better, IMO. The rich, smokey, spicy depth. . . wonderful stuff. Problem is, BdP is more of a cold weather fragrance. A bit too heavy for warm weather wear. Still -- I'd spring for BdP. You'll love it.
    Well put.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Maybe good size reputible sourced decants of both? Hmmm? Then you can have the best of both worlds for a few bucks more per unit volume.
    Last edited by kbe; 20th February 2010 at 04:16 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Don't know how big a bottle you were planning to get, but I'd get the smallest bottle of BdP, and a one ounce of MI.

They both have their merits. Maybe you're much more disciplined than many of us. I'd never make it to September with just one of them if I really liked both.

Would agree with other posters that BdP is better cold weather; MI is better warm weather.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 20th February 2010 at 05:40 PM.

If you can only get one, maybe get MI first since we are heading into spring soon in the northern hemisphere. Then, you can get BdP when we head back into autumn.

The fragrance in question used by Napoleon was a cologne which Roger & Gallet have replicated. I have a bottle and, whilst it smells great and fresh, doesn't last long so I can quite see why he would use so much.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Napoleon used Bois du Portugal? That is certainly one of the more creative sales stories I have heard in a while.

Given the potential outlay, I would suggest you get samples of both, and give each a full wearing.

I would say Bois Du Portugal.

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    Did you ask the SA if Napoleon traveled a hundred and eighty years into the future to buy BdP? Or did he stop and fight a few wars while he was here?

For the money, I wouldn't blind buy any Creed, but suggesting Knize Ten over the two he wants is just madness, especially as a blind buy for a beginner! That stuff is knock your socks off powerful and how do you think BdP is old-fartish and Knize Ten is not?
    I was only quoting the SA in question, for your amusement. Who ever believes what they keep telling you? I'll never stop wondering about the fairytales SAs have in store when trying to sell their expensive stuff. The Brothers Grimm are nothing in comparison, and Rapunzel lives just next door.

I do not think Knize is more powerful than BDP (it isn't on me, anyway). Old-fartish it is too, surely, but as an old fart it smells way better than BDP - in my opinion.
    Last edited by Luis; 20th February 2010 at 08:38 PM.

I was only quoting the SA in question, for your amusement. Who ever believes what they keep telling you? I'll never stop wondering about the fairytales SAs have in store when trying to sell their expensive stuff. The Brothers Grimm are nothing in comparison, and Rapunzel lives just next door.
    It would have been funny to catch them in lie and make them choke a little!

I do not think Knize is more powerful than BDP (it isn't on me, anyway). Old-fartish it is too, surely, but as an old fart it smells way better than BDP - in my opinion.
    Ah, well at least you admit they both are old-fart smells! haha - I did find Knize a bit overboard in strength and the fact that I just didn't care for it. It's also hard to find in the US. But I was just warning against buying blind which you should not do, especially if you have to save money for it! I still feel BdP is the safer bet.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 20th February 2010 at 09:50 PM.

Knize is worth a try if you want to smell like the cupboard where you keep the shoe polish and brushes.

Bdp.

Millesime Imperial for me all the way.....Gary

As mentioned, BDP works best in cooler weather; MI in warmer weather. BDP is absolutely amazing, a classic smelling spicy lavender scent. It would go perfectly with a crisp white dress shirt and cufflinks. You will smell it 12 hours later. Very, very long lasting. It is not a T-shirt and sandals fragrance.

MI is a beautiful champagne meets melon scent and dries down to the modern Creed Ambergris standard. It is more youthful, less serious. You'll be able to wear MI to more places, more occasions.

BDP is powerful stuff - a 1oz (30ml) bottle will last you a long, long time. I couldn't imagine ever using more than 1-2 sprays. BDP might require more than 1 wearing to "get it". MI will immediately please you.

BDP Visually Represented

Millesime Imperial
    Last edited by adonis; 21st February 2010 at 04:40 AM.

I don't like the strong lavender in BdP, and there are other similar frags that are really cheap: Jovan Sex Appeal for Men, Mustang by Dorall, Escada Homme, etc., depending upon which notes appeal to you the most. I did like MI, mostly due to the ambergris in the base, but not enough to buy a bottle.

You're gonna hate yourself if you buy BdP expecting to get the same mileage out of it over summer as you would MI.

Don't buy shit blind.

I don't BUY them BLIND, I like them both in the same manner (it's like choosing between two lovers), I just wanted to see your opinions
    Last edited by trapper; 21st February 2010 at 07:48 AM.

Anyone experienced longevity problems with Millesime Imperial ?

I don't know if I'd call it problems, but it fades a bit too quickly for my taste. It is a somewhat lighter scent and I have that issue with a lot of frags, especially lighter ones. That's why you should sample both if longevity is an issue for you.

Last time I wore it, it hung in better than usual. It is not a powerful fragrance imo. But it is very good and and a nice take on the lighter scents from the 90s.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 21st February 2010 at 04:57 PM.

BdP is so amazing. I'm just a t-shirt and jeans type of guy, and I wear BdP all the time in non formal settings.

BdP all the way. Its one of the best Creeds IMO.
    MI smells like generic drug store crap compared to BdP!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    As mentioned, BDP works best in cooler weather; MI in warmer weather. BDP is absolutely amazing, a classic smelling spicy lavender scent. It would go perfectly with a crisp white dress shirt and cufflinks. You will smell it 12 hours later. Very, very long lasting. It is not a T-shirt and sandals fragrance.

MI is a beautiful champagne meets melon scent and dries down to the modern Creed Ambergris standard. It is more youthful, less serious. You'll be able to wear MI to more places, more occasions.

BDP is powerful stuff - a 1oz (30ml) bottle will last you a long, long time. I couldn't imagine ever using more than 1-2 sprays. BDP might require more than 1 wearing to "get it". MI will immediately please you.

BDP Visually Represented

Millesime Imperial
    Hahahaha. Wow, I'm very impressed. I agree 100%
    It's that simple, just watch the pics and choose.
    Me, myself and I need both. Not number one and two in my collection, but very, very close behind.
    But then again MI ever was my number one. I don't have that kind of Top 10 in my head right now, but the thing is MI is no winter fragrance. If you ask me in summertime again, I'm probably there again and put MI to it's place. The cream of the crop, isn't that term right? How does it feel? Hah? Love you!
    dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

What about Green Irish Tweed ?

Banned
    Blog Entries

MI, all the way. But BDP isn't bad.

- - - Updated - - -

MI, all the way. But BDP isn't bad.

I thought BdP was overrated. Don't get me wrong, its quality juice but I found it very limiting and at times suffocating. MI was something I thought could be worn anywhere.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 25th February 2013 at 02:21 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    BdP all the way. Its one of the best Creeds IMO.
    MI smells like generic drug store crap compared to BdP!
    ^^^ like the man says! ^^^
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Have them both, I would say MI

-MI has the better opening and Bdp has the better drydown.
    -MI is softer and unisex, Bdp is not
    -MI is a conversation piece and a unique object of fascination, not so much with Bdp
    -MI is slightly risky by receiving a bad batch, not so with Bdp

Considering these two scents are so different, and I cannot imagine why anyone would ever blind buy at this price point, I'd say just try them and pick one.

Personally, the answer is simple: I think MI is (at its best) the best-smelling cologne in the world, and I think BdP (which smells the same in each batch) smells just plain bad. Not a difficult choice.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Get both:
    Purchase Millesime imperial now
    And purchase BDP in September.

MI would be my choice. It was the one that got me started with Creed. I got a sample of BdP and a few others at the same time. Still have that BdP sample and revisit it from time to time but have never been inspired to spend for a bottle, even when I had a source for cheap but genuine Creeds a few years ago.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Bois du Portugal.

It may be an old fart smell, but I'll take that any day over the watered down inoffensive new fart smells on the market.

Basenotes Junkie

Original post is 3 years old. Hope he's made his mind up by now.

The OP is surely very grateful for your solving his 2010 dilemma
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I've noticed this a lot recently, who keeps dragging up these years old threads?
    Is there something wrong with the site again?