Code of Conduct

Default Sub $75 niche scents

I recently became intrigued by some niche scents I sampled like Back to Black, Havana Vanille, Vanille Intense, Le Labo Vetiver 46 and Le Labo Rose 31 and I have decided to add 5 niche scents to my collection. I have done a lil research and came up with some names that I will sample:

Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche
    Annick Goutal Musc Nomade
    Parfums de Nicolai New York
    Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense (Already pulled the trigger for this one)
    Parfums de Nicolai Vetyver
    Parfums de Nicolai Balle de Match
    Etat Libre d'Orange Jasmin et Cigarettes
    Etat Libre d'Orange Noel au Balcon
    Etat Libre d'Orange Vierges et Toreros

I am going to sample all of the ones listed but I would like to get your opinions on my list and more choices based on your experiences. Obviously, I am a frugal buyer and I would like to stick to my price point ($75)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sub $75 niche scents

I'm fairly sure you can sample all of them for quite a bit less than $75 via Luckyscent, it should run right around $30 shipped. Buying a full bottle for less than $75 would be a bit more challenging.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

PDN New York. it's class apart.

I've been really enjoying Neil Morris' Gandhara lately, but it's absolutely a try-before-you-buy.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    I'm fairly sure you can sample all of them for quite a bit less than $75 via Luckyscent, it should run right around $30 shipped. Buying a full bottle for less than $75 would be a bit more challenging.
    All the fragrance I listed can be found for $75 and below for 30ml to 100ml full bottle price. Just wondering if I can get more at the same price point.

Imperial Opoponax is a wonderful and very affordable fragrance that seems to fly under the radar...

Of the scents in your list, I've only sampled Jasmin et Cigarettes and it's a lot nicer that I expected. Jasmine with a touch of tobacco. It won't replace Samsara in my wardrobe though.

You can get the 50ml bottles of all three AdP scents (Colonia, Assoluta, Intenza) for around that price...

LOL! The ELdO scents retail in the U.S. for the tellling (wink, wink) price of $69...

No doubt underscored by the address: 69, rue des Archives...

The 50 ml sizes of Parfums d'Empire usu. sell for $75.

I recommend Jasmin et Cigarette.
    Last edited by Primrose; 20th February 2010 at 04:07 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Imperial Opoponax is a wonderful and very affordable fragrance that seems to fly under the radar...
    +1 Excellent rec, tott. FBW imo.

Another under-the-radar line is Sonoma Scent Studio (yeah, here I go again). EDP strength, 34ml for $52-55. Some rather fabulous options:
    Tabac Aurea
    Ambre Noir
    Champagne de Bois
    Winter Woods
    Fireside Intense
    Jour Ensoleille

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    +1 Excellent rec, tott. FBW imo.

Another under-the-radar line is Sonoma Scent Studio (yeah, here I go again). EDP strength, 34ml for $52-55. Some rather fabulous options:
    Tabac Aurea
    Ambre Noir
    Champagne de Bois
    Winter Woods
    Fireside Intense
    Jour Ensoleille
    I ordered a sample of Tabac Aurea since I am exploring tobacco scents and this was highly endorsed!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I ordered a sample of Tabac Aurea since I am exploring tobacco scents and this was highly endorsed!
    You won't be disappointed, I promise you.

I love Ambre Fetiche. I started with a sample then bought 2 of the 1/2 ounce bottles and after a few wears bought the full 100ml bottle. Wonderful incense opening. But try before you buy.

I try to stay below a certain price point, too. But sometimes you just gotta say WTF and pry the old wallet open a bit further.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Toad View Post

I try to stay below a certain price point, too. But sometimes you just gotta say WTF and pry the old wallet open a bit further.
    I know I know but let me try and get all the options below $75 (What is basenotes for?). I am seriously considering saying WTF and purchase Le Labo Rose 31. I have smelled nothing close to it.

I keep hearing good things about Smell Bent, whose perfume oils sell for $20/8ml....but I haven't sampled them myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Granola View Post
    I know I know but let me try and get all the options below $75 (What is basenotes for?). I am seriously considering saying WTF and purchase Le Labo Rose 31. I have smelled nothing close to it.
    More power to you, brother. Most of my frags are under $75 and there are a lot of them in the 20-30 dollar range that I really like.

Hells ya! Glad to see some support for Imperial Opoponax! It's a bargain!

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    I keep hearing good things about Smell Bent, whose perfume oils sell for $20/8ml....but I haven't sampled them myself.
    That's what I came in to recommend and I have tried a bunch and will try more. $15 for 5 samples I think. The fun, playful side of niche. Some very impressive scents.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Of the scents in your list, I've only sampled Jasmin et Cigarettes and it's a lot nicer that I expected. Jasmine with a touch of tobacco. It won't replace Samsara in my wardrobe though.
    I think that Les Nereides and Reminiscence are two companies that release top notch affordable unconventional fragrances. They are to be highly trusted and supported. Imperial Opoponax, Fleur Poudree de Musc, Noir by Reminiscence, Patchouli pour Homme are the ones I have tried and have been left speechless

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    PDN New York. it's class apart.
    Amen brother amen.

I wore this last week for the first time in ages and thought "Jeez, why haven't I worn this in a while, it's fantastic"
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Ava Luxe produces some very nice fragrance for much less than $75. I'd recommend Ambra Tibet, Film Noir, and Incense Noir.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I'd try Fat Electrician to go along with the other ELDOs. Candied vetiver!!!
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    To be sure I ordered the sample of Fat Electrician twice. Don't get any vertiver. And I had them all from Givenchy over Guerlian to Malle. Unfortunally FE is under suspect to contain some serious dose of Iso E Super. I had a hard time to srub it off.

Jasmin Et Cigarettes is quite hollow. The Jasim is as cheap as could be. The opener is a pungent industrial solvent, acetone may be. Tobacco comes in, but then I was already bored.

By now I think ELDO is more or less about an attitude. I really like it more for the way it is, than for what it is. I will give it a third try later on. I could imagine to replace FE by Givenchy's Vetiver and JEC by Tommy Girl. I mean, if Your fragrance should not speak for itself but should represent Your very choice as Your own stylist. The Givenchy (utterly clean, near to unreal, sad due to that) and Tommy's Girl (imagine, on a man, asked for what it is, 100% synthetic) would reflect an understanding of be business, would be playfull with expectations! Niche always is a bit of bying an attitude. The right choice of a non niche fragrance could show that one has an attitude himself.

Have Fun!

Almost anything by Taylor's of Old Bond Street and by Geo F. Trumper can be found under 75 $

Also, you should try to see if La Martina Hombre is available under 75 $, since it's worth every dime

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    Tried it. Not sold on it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Granola View Post
    All the fragrance I listed can be found for $75 and below for 30ml to 100ml full bottle price. Just wondering if I can get more at the same price point.
    I misunderstood, my apologies. Just so you know, The Perfumed Court has a special deal on Rose 31, 15mL for $39 or 30mL for $59. you can also get 8ml for $19.99.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Almost anything by Taylor's of Old Bond Street and by Geo F. Trumper can be found under 75 $

Also, you should try to see if La Martina Hombre is available under 75 $, since it's worth every dime
    D.R. Harris is also an option of EDTs. They have an anthentic Royal Warrant, too.