Code of Conduct

Default The seven days of five star fragrances

It's Feb., and I hate Feb. The holidays are over, the weather is unpredictable and I can't be outside as much as I would like. So, I am playing games with my fragrances Join me if you will. Get those fragrances that you love most and WEAR them!

Starting tomorrow, I want to wear only my 5 star frags for a whole week - the ones that I have rated as true love to me. Some have been worn regularly, others need to be dusted off. These will mostly be my winter wonders that should get much more use than they do.

My line up for SotD will be:
    Sunday: EL Knowing - she is big and bold, and never really gets worn because of that. This is her day.
    Monday: Chanel Coromandel. I wear this often, and there is a good reason for that.
    Tuesday: Shiseido Feminite du Bois. Good enough for a backup bottle, yet rarely worn.
    Wed: Teo Cabanel Alahine. A new to me beauty.
    Thur: SL Douce Amere. Soon to be less available in the states, and I have started to sweat about this one. Love.
    Fri: Hermes Hiris. Dissed by so many, but I find it a beauty with surprises.
    Sat: SL Chergui. Why have I not worn this but once so far this year?

I apply frag. twice a day, so some of these may get double duty, while other 5 star frags. come in to play for some evenings. But I am only going to wear my 5 star beauties this coming week.

Join my if you like! I'll be posting more thoughts in the SotD thread each day. Bring them out, remind yourself why you love them, get some last wearings in of your winter wonders....whatever the reason - wear your 5 star frags and be proud!!!!

What are yours?
    Last edited by cello; 21st February 2010 at 07:10 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The seven days of five star fragrances

What a marvelous idea cello. I have read, with interest, the line-up of five star fragrances you have chosen and am delighted that you enjoy Hiris. I use Hiris either by itself or in concert with Arpege Pour Homme. The initial blast of carrot subsides fairly quickly and becomes a wonderful fragrance. I don't hear many here on basenotes showcasing Hiris. Were I to set up a seven day fragrance regimine it would consist of Mitsouko, Shalimar, L'heure Bleue, Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier, Chamade, Nahema, and Hiris.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 21st February 2010 at 01:13 AM.

Ooh N_Tesla, we are olfactory soul mates. Within arms reach right now is l'heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Nahema pure parfum, and Chamade pure parfum.

But in addition to those 4 i would add Guerlain's Bois D'armenie, indult's Isvaraya, and Caron's Or et Noir (and N'aimez que moi, for an 8th day wonder!)

I love all of these so much i'm wearing them every 10 days or so. I usually push samples aside for evening wear or weekend running errands wear. i also only have 14 bottles of perfume, so things get rotated often.

N_Tesla, Shalimar will come out for the evening for sure. I have vintage and current, and enjoy them both. But I work in a hospital enviornment, and have not been brave enough to bring it out for day wear at work. I often wear it in the evening so I can go to sleep with that perfect, beautiful drydown. Others that you listed (L'heure Bleue I own but have not warmed up to yet) are some of fragrances that I hope to try soon.

Hiris is just amazing. Such a shifting, surprising fragrance. In fact, I just used it to cool down an overwhelming scent from Kenzo Jungle l'elephant that I overapplied as a sample. Now it is tolerable

Hillaire

Good fun! And a good idea, especially as it's getting warm here already.

How's this for a week or so (I have been neglecting all these hard-hitting, five-star, vintage beauties!):
    Nino Cerruti Original. Guy Laroche Clandestine. Fath de Fath. Charles Jourdan L'Insolent.Fendi Theorema. Fendi Fendi. L'Arte di Gucci. Knowing. Mackie.Balenciaga Rumba. Cartier Panthere.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 21st February 2010 at 02:58 AM.

Five star according to whom? Me?

Right on, cello! Life's too short to not enjoy your faves. This causes me to rethink which in my drobe are truly worthy of the five stars they've been given.

And to tell you the truth, I my cool weather drobe so, I've been wearing my faves on a consistent basis. Well, all but one. It's a 50 ml bottle and relatively spendy, and I would just feel so much better about things if I had a backup.

If I knew for certain that I wouldn't feel compelled to repeat during the week, it would look something like this.

Sunday Chanel 22 True fume love! I don't know why, if it's the incense triggering a response, but this one calms me even as I am stricken and excited by its beauty. It is impervious to a bad day. It is as comforting as it is elegant.

Monday Caron Tabac Blond Leather and gasoline somehow make me feel like a dame. I love this stuff.

Tuesday Alien Just delicious. I love it because it is unusual. Cool jasmine and warm patch, and rich chocolate all at once.

Wednesday Tabu My spicy, sweet, skanky, second skin sillage bomb.

Thursday Hypnotic Poison This one has been special to me for ten years and has def lost some skin time the past year to some of my other fives. One sniff of the atomizer still never fails to intoxicate me, though.

Friday Theorema I've been seriously loving this one this month, and kicking myself since last May for not splurging on the 3.4 oz. bottle.

Saturday Tocade Now here is one that def deserves more wear. There are three others that I could have easily used for the seventh day, but Tocade wins for this reason. I connected with it almost instantly; I got it, as I hadn't 'gotten' a fume before. I learned of Tocade just about a year ago. It was, and remains, the most elegant gourmand I have yet sniffed. Or is it a floral? Speaking of shape-shifting....

edit: Asha, I took it to mean the ones I rated as five-star.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 21st February 2010 at 03:35 AM.

Well, I love February. I live in a mild climate, and February always throws us some hints of spring. But still... I like this idea! There is rain in our forecast for the coming week, so I'm thinking about what might work the best of my five-star faves. The problem will be narrowing it down. I'm thinking that I'll focus on fragrances that I won't wear when it becomes warmer, like the following:

Ambre Precieux
    Dark Earth
    Havana Vanille
    Theorema
    Sienne l'Hiver
    Shaal Nur
    Felanilla
    (I just have a sample, but it's on my wish list!)

Subject to change...

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Five star according to whom? Me?
    Yes Asha, 5 stars according to you.

I don't change fragrance every day, but tomorrow I will start a week with Sacrebleu from Nicolaï and that's a five star fragrance for me.

Haha! Sounds fantastic! Here's the crux of my weekend games!

1. Monday - Rive Gauche PH: A sublime scent for the hard works load. Is pugnacious though trusty!
    2. Tuesday - Chanel Antaeus: With it's sullen qualities it works so well for the morose nights...didactic and poetic!
    3. Wednesday - A grand all regression to the Knize Ten.. I am not as viscid with this as Bandit but it works...fantastic leather!
    4. Thursday - Azzaro PH - Oh yes!!! my muse has a raucous redolence about it...it's sweet musk is an attention getter! makes one ineffable if applied correctly...KK, well jokes..though is sublime!
    5. Friday - A night of thoughts..thus conceding from thursdays Azzaro..I need a sorrowful and abstruse scent...for the yore of reminiscing...azzah! Bal A Versailles! that'd certainty nab at the Pathos of my cogitator!
    6. Saturday - Now this needs to be sensual as of the waning of Sunday evokes and enshrouds us all...I say "French Lover" It has the germane liking of a prince...is apropos and vastly accepted! He'll work wonders!
    7. Sunday - Now all that is said is smelt....A soliloquy for the good times proceeds now all I need is a statement....huuuuhhhhh....It is chosen...Kouros....you're time is now!
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Derby
    Jicky
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    TDC Bois d'Iris
    Guerlain Djedi
    Amouage Gold Cologne
    Vero Onda

Subject to change as I am expecting new deliveries...
    Last edited by sean-dt; 22nd February 2010 at 05:31 AM.

Blog Entries

Hillaire; I very much enjoy Theorema and would like to suggest that you try Theorema Esprit d'ete as the days warm in spring. Not easy to find, but well worth while it is truly a beautiful flanker of Theorema.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Good fun! And a good idea, especially as it's getting warm here already.

How's this for a week or so (I have been neglecting all these hard-hitting, five-star, vintage beauties!):
    Nino Cerruti Original. Guy Laroche Clandestine. Fath de Fath. Charles Jourdan L'Insolent.Fendi Theorema. Fendi Fendi. L'Arte di Gucci. Knowing. Mackie.Balenciaga Rumba. Cartier Panthere.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 21st February 2010 at 09:59 AM.

Such a good idea, Cello! I will play!
    I was thinking, too, I have so many perfumes I love and I am always trying new ones...
    I will wear some of my neglected five stars this week:

Boucheron, 24 Faubourg, Grain de Soleil, Passion- Annick Goutal, Le Parfume- Sonia Rykiel, 28 La Pausa...

Yes, Yes, Yes - to Hiris (cold Spring frozen earth and courageous tiny flowers pushing out of the soil to bask in the sun) and to Tocade (delicate gourmand, a soft vanilla and roses beauty) and SL Douce Amere (creamy, heady, liquor and earth)!!!!!

I'll play by wearing:

Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Hermes 24 Faubourg Eau Delicate
    Guerlian Rose Barbare
    Hermes Hiris
    Rochas Tocade
    SL Douce Amere
    Chanel 31, rue Cambon
    Hermes Kelly Caleche

Ooops - my week has eight days!
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

I'm going to play, too, but I just counted and I have 28 fragrances that I consider to be 5-star (I tried to re-evaluate, but I can't demote any right now.) I don't want to commit to a list just yet - I'd rather just choose as the perfume spirits moves me. That method resulted in Iris Ganache today, and I couldn't be any happier!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 21st February 2010 at 07:14 PM.

Oh, neat you guys. Some beauties coming out! It is interesting to see what everyone pulls out as their 5 star frags. Some have chosen winter, others have sneaked into spring. Others are having summer now, and are showing off their wonders. Each one is worth a good sniff, and deserves it's attention - the whole point of the "game". I've found it is easy to get lost in the shuffle and ignore my favorites. Not this week!

hmm.. that's an interesting idea but I am not really in a habit to change my fragrance everyday. I don't want to confuse myself and the people around me with my fragrance. I usually just wear my favorite scent Cocoa Mademoiselle. I only wear something else when I run out of Cocoa Mademoiselle bottles.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Just discovered this thread. Coincidentally I'm already “in” since I was decanting Sabi today, and she's clearly one of only four to whom I've given ★★★★★. (Yeah, I'm a tough grader!)

Great idea, Cello! Just what February needs, and a nice way to see who loves what.

Sunday Sabi ~ Just a gorgeous big bouquet of womanly flowers.
    VIP Room, Cadjmere for sure. It's a little cold for Bigarade Concentree and Nanadebary Green.
    Kind of depends on the weather, my mood and the mail as to which others make the final cut.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I chose Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Ambre Precieux for Sunday. It was created in 1988 by Jean-Francois Laporte. Notes include Myrtle, Lavender, Amber, Vanilla, Nutmeg, Ambregris, Peru Balsam, Tolu. I believe that this one is discontinued (or reformulated?) and hard to find.

Why I give it five stars: This fragrance emerged as my favorite from an exploration of several amber fragrances. Strong runners up included L'Artisan Parfumerie Ambre Extreme and Montale Blue Amber. The three are definitely in the same general group of amber fragrances, but Ambre Precieux, to my nose, is richer than the L'Artisan and has more finesse than the Montale. The lavender in the opening blends beautifully with the amber elements, smoothing and freshening and adding (in spite of the fact that this is supposed to be a men's fragrance) a bit of feminine softening. Later on the vanilla is nicely balanced by a touch of saltiness. Simply delicious!

I'm in, too. My lineup will be:

Sunday- Guerlain Vetiver
    Monday- Rive Gauche
    Tuesday- Bvlgari Black
    Wednesday- Burberry London
    Thursday- Eau Sauvage
    Friday- Givenchy Gentleman
    Saturday- Halston Z-14

The seven days of 5 star fragrances continues this Monday, and today it is one of my favorites' turn.

Chanel Coromandel was love at first sniff for me. I used to scent my sheets with patchouli oil to get that sweet, earthy smell around me, but I never really wanted to wear patch oil. Coromandel bridges the gap between beautiful perfume and the note many of us love. It is the discreet blending of patchouli in all it's herbal wonder, without the edges that can make it veer into hippie territory. It is sweet with subtle spices, but yet cooled by iris. It is herbal, but then cocoa softens it into an elegant patchouli. The ambery, cocoa drydown I also enjoy.

I have other patchouli prominent fragrances, but this one is easily dress up if needed. It gets it's 5 star rating from me for making me feel beautiful while wearing patchouli, for it's balance and blend.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Day 2 of T7Do5TF

Monday: Mitsouko
    Even with all the dodgy requirements to get to the good parts, M still earns her five stars.
    I've got vintage of my left (top-note rancidity) and modern (lacking the whop of oak moss I'd prefer) on my right.
    Surely, freshly made, vintage-ingredients Mitsouko extrait would be my choice.
    Wishing upon that somebody could give us just the good stuff, otherwise, I won't reach for Mitsy much at all.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Monday: Jubilation 25
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I've been going through my list of 5-Star Fragrances again, and it turns out I actually do wear most of them, and quite often! But out of my top 28, there may be a few that I've worn less frequently, though maybe somewhat recently, and one that I never wear because although I love it, I prefer it on my fiance - it's his. I'm going to wear it one day this week, though. It's Sycomore by Chanel.

For the record I wore L'Instant de Guerlain this morning, and switched to Clinique's Aromatics Elixir later this afternoon - I'm still in AE, and it's still perfect.

Are we supposed to post our musings here? I'm doing it on sotd. Anyhoo, change of plans, today 's five-star is my brand new Borneo 1834.

You all smell very, well, five-star-worthy today! For Monday, I chose L'Artisan Parfumerie Havana Vanille. This Bertrand Duchaufour fragrance was released last year. Listed notes (from Luckyscent) are vanilla pod infused in old rum, clove, leather, crystallized dried fruit, a “ball of vanilla and powder”, narcissus, helichrysum, tonka bean, benzoin, tolu, musks, and vanilla absolute.

Why I give it five stars: I didn't own a vanilla or tobacco fragrance, and I wanted one. Since this fragrance was created by my favorite perfume artist under my favorite perfume label, I figured it would be a safe blind buy. And it was! I'm thrilled with Havana Vanille. I love the way it balances earthy and ethereal, it's not too foody, and it doesn't make me feel tipsy (Guerlain's' SDV is simply too much for me). Like many of my favorites, it's what I call a "Goldilocks Fragrance" – it's just right!

What a great idea!
    [and for next week I was thinking of wearing 4 starts --a tricky bunch. I have many of those.]

Meanwhile, I'm living "one 5-star-day at a time."

Sunday: Ormonde WOman by Ormonde Jayne [if I had to have a signature scent, this might be the one]
    Monday: Jubilation 25 by Amouage [lush, grown-up, understated and overstated at the same time]
    Tuesday: Winter Star by Michale Storer [mmmmmmm]
    Wednesay Amouge Lyric Woman

Thursday Chergui What a gem. Wearing it a lot this season.
    Friday Samsara
    Saturday Après l'ondee

Have a great day you 5-star scent god and goddesses!
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 27th February 2010 at 06:21 PM.

Day three of my seven days of 5 star fragrances as rated by my very own nose

Tuesday brings up Shiseido Feminite du Bois This one snuck into my 5 stars just by the pure joy of wearing it. I like fruit, I like spice, I like woods...and I have some other fragrances that do one of more of these very well. But slowly I started to realize that I really, really love this subtle fragrance. Cedar can be tricky, yet here it is as smooth as it gets. Purple fruits (plum here I believe) can also be tricky, but supported by soft white flowers and continually surrounded by the driving cedar - it hits the spot. Toss the spices in the bowl, mix and out comes a delectible spicy, woody treat. Never too loud, but quietly humming along. Versatile for cold or warm weather. 5 stars from me.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Five stars for Nanadebary Green (the original, edt formulation) for being so easy to get along with.
    A little floral, a little sweet, very mild, a touch nutty for the cardamom, and wondrously green, almost like a green tea accord with a hint of mint.

These theme/challenges invariably reveal perspectives we may have been oblivious to about ourselves. Even when I award high-star honors to a fragrance, that doesn't mean I necessarily want or need to wear it that often. Seasonality and mood dictate that some days I actually want a 3-star fragrance.

Yes, I was wondering whether we could do a 4-star week, Nostalgie. I bet it would be easier than a 5-star, because there would be more frags from which to choose. Then a 3-star week would be interesting. Then, like a limbo competition (how low can you go?), I wonder if we could look back at our ratings and find seven 2-star scents we could put to the re-test?

Couldn't do a week of 1-star-wonders though. I mean, a week of scrubbers? What are we, masochists?

Yes, Mrs. Q, you are exactly right. I have already wanted to stray, and it is only day three! Sometimes you want beautiful, some days you want easy and casual, some days.......

I think a week of 4 and then 3 star frags would be very interesting. I would imagine that somewhere in there, I would adjust some of my ratings. When getting into that middle ground, I have probably been too "easy". And for those that are very discriminating with their stars, it does leave little wiggle room for mood, weather and the like.

I'm not even sure I could go down to 2 stars for a whole week

I'm a little late for the party on this one Will start wearing my 5 star rated scents from tomorrow. They are:
    Wednesday:SL Chergui
    Thursday:Crystal noir
    Friday:Cuir de russie
    Saturday:Feminite du bois
    Sunday:L'heure bleu
    Monday:Mitsouko
    Tuesday:#88
    wednesday:Trouble

It was hard to decide,but this will be my sotd schedule for a week from now
    Last edited by ineespenes; 23rd February 2010 at 08:32 PM.

I'm 'fessing up: I cheated today. I received a partial bottle (decant) of Martine Micallef Gaiac in the mail yesterday, so of course I had to wear it right away! It's very lovely. Right now I'd give it four-plus stars.

However, for my SotE, I've pulled out one of my five-star bottles, Parfumerie Generale's L'Oiseau de Nuit. This fragrance was created in 2007 by Pierre Guillaume, and it is part of the line's Private Collection. Listed notes (Luckyscent) are cistus labdanum, liqueur of davana, benzoin, and leather. Why I give it five stars: Well, for starters, I love the name. :-) It is also unusual in that it showcases cistus labdanum (just gorgeous!), and the leather aspect is very quiet and feminine. Words pretty much fail me (or, more accurately, I fail the words) in describing this one. If it sounds interesting to you, I urge you to try it!

Side note: I'm noticing some similarities between L'Oiseau de Nuit, Bois Blond (another PG fave of mine), and my new Gaiac. They are all clearly in the same delicious family of fragrances!

Haunani, I would have cheated too if I had a bottle of Gaiac arrive! But at least you got back on track.

Like posted on the sotd thread I'm in Chergui today. From the first time I tried this gorgeous scent it was instant love! On me it opens as a rather spicy and leathery scent.Gradually some insence reveal itself (frankinsence?) and amber. After a whole day i'm left with a spicy,musky skinscent. just perfect in my book!

Day four of the seven days of 5 star fragrances as rated by ME

Ahhhhhh, Alahine. I've been looking forward to wearing this one. In fact, I took it for a trial run again last night.

Alahine by Teo Cabanel.
    Notes:
    bergamot, lavender, ylang-ylang
    Bulgarian rose, Moroccan rose, jasmin, orange blossom
    iris, rock rose, patchouli, benzoin, vanilla, musk

You pretty much know what you are going to get by looking at the traditional pyramid of notes. And you won't be surprised. BUT, right from the first spray, comes it's little secret. This is a beauty - so well blended and crafted. It wispers class, it surrounds you in classic perfume feeling with a nod towards modern sense. It doesn't feel old, yet it feels timeless.

The bright citris opening is smooth as silk. I can smell the lavender a bit, but it is smoothed out and blended until it is just a cooling breeze. The florals then come out, and I can smell rose, but it is rose surrounded and softened by their fellow notes. The amber is creeping in, softly, but possibly the florals are keeping the sweetness tamped down. Never does this fragrance go sweet, but never, ever is it harsh in any way. Each note blended to perfection. It then drifts off into it's closing, and you realise you have just experienced something special.

5 stars from me for the classic feel, beautiful structure and flawless execution. This smells beautiful.
    Last edited by cello; 24th February 2010 at 01:03 PM.

Cello, that Alahine sounds wonderful!

As I posted in the SotD thread, I'm wearing another of my five-star-rated fragrances, Dark Earth by Neil Morris. It's rainy and cool here, with the promise of spring in the air, and the line between my perfume and the scent around me is blurred. I'm loving the experience!

Neil Morris has this to say about his creation:

There is a moment between winter and spring when you know without a doubt that the snow will fall no more this season. The Earth is awake and ready for new growth. This perfume is a celebration of that moment.
    Listed Notes (from Neil Morris Fragrances website): Myrrh, Sandalwood, Golden Musk, Frankincense, Green Note, Earth Accord

Why I give Dark Earth five stars: It is a very beautiful fragrance composition, it evokes for me exactly what the perfumer describes, and it makes me feel alive.

Day five of my run through 5 star fragrances as rated by moi

Serge Lutens Douce Amere

Notes: artemisia absinthium, anise, cinammon, marigold, foamflower, jasmine, lily, tagetes, vanilla, musk, cedar (from SL website)

This little semi-gourmand is indeed on of my favorite fragrances. I do love a good gourmand, but I often find them a bit boring after a couple of hours. And sometimes too sweet. Enter Douce Amere - bittersweet - as the perfect cure.
    It opens with a back and forth battle between the bitterness of artemisia (wormwood plant) and the anise. Cinammom lurkes as well. This captures my attention, as it smells different each time I sniff. Soon it starts to soften with the cinammon florals, and the sweetness wins out with the approach of the basenotes. After several hours, the most luscious musk softened vanilla emerges, still with hints of the cinammon. This is close wearing, but such an interesting take on the usual oriental, that it has earned my attention and my love. It is a bit unLutens like, but yet, it is so like this line - surprising but not so daring as to offend. This is a soft Lutens, and with such an interesting opening, I don't mind soft. In fact, I love it.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Yesterday got a little nutsy with the customers and I didn't post, but I was enjoying VIP Room, which is something like Bulgari Black with tiare and pineapple (and when I run out, I'm going to have to come up with some kind of Bulg/Blk & “other” layering combo to replace this scent amongst my faves). Suggestions welcome!

Today, I'm drawing down on another favorite I have in short supply: Parfumerie Generale Cadjmere 18 — vanilla, coconut and soft spices with a thread of green. I torture myself, asking whether Lavanila Vanilla Spice could serve as a more affordable substitute — or might even be preferable? These are the thoughts that torture and torture a perfumista, as only you people will understand. I've sampled VS only once, and that's not enough to make a call. I'd either have to take part of day to drive to Sephora in order to retest it, or order a sample from TPC. But then there's the problem that VS is a limited edition, so if I like it, I'm doomed. [Lays wrist against forehead, “Oh, such agonizing mind loops.”]

My seven picks for this cool, grey weather would be:
    Ormonde Jayne - Orris Noir
    Guerlain - Shalimar
    Ormonde Jayne - Tolu
    Chanel - Bois des Iles
    Annic Goutal - Songes
    Frederick Malle - Musc Ravageur
    Ormonde Jayne - Ormonde Woman

Welcome to Basenotes, Bonsai!

Today I deviated from my original list, because I was in a "rosy" mood. So I chose another of my five-star fragrances, Gres Cabaret. For those of you who haven't tried this one, it is a gorgeous rose blend with soft incense. Cabaret was created by perfumer Michel Almairac in 2003, and contains notes of rose, lily of the valley, peony, pink bay, violet, blue orris, patchouli, incense, sandalwood, amber and musk (info from Now Smell This).

Why I give it five stars: Cabaret is another one of those Goldilocks fragrances for me. It smells *just right* on my skin, almost like it enhances the good smells that are already there (grin). There is a translucent quality that I love in fragrances, yet the staying power is excellent! Cabaret also has an aspect that I read as "salty" – always a good thing, in my book.

Day six of my 7 days of 5 star frags as judged by moi

Hermes Hiris

Notes: iris, neroli, carrot, coriander, hay, rose, ambrette seed, almond wood, cedar, honey, vanilla

Hermes is one of my favorite houses, and Olivia Giacobetti is one of my favorite perfum artists. In my iris hunt, fairly early in my new found passion for fragrances, I came across this one - influenced by the above two facts.

This is an easy to wear iris. The opening is cold, earthy and true to it's name. As the fragrance moves along, it warms up with some subtle florals, but not well defined - just enough to sweeten it slightly. The base keeps the iris, but adds definite warming sweet notes that drift up almost as a surprise.

I wore this at night quite a bit. But I distinctly remember the first time I wore it to work. I was cruising along enjoying the warm, earthy iris. All of the sudden, I smelled a soft hint of honey in my office. I looked around, wondering what it was. I sniffed my wrist - no, just earthy iris. Then I realised it was drifting up from my shirt - this beautiful, soft, sweet honey. My Hiris had warmed against my chest and was playing peek-a-boo with the earthy iris I smelled on my wrist. This was one of those times when you aren't playing attention to your fragrance, it reaches out and says "hey, smell this!"

Hiris gets my 5 star rating for being true to it's name, but adding a soft warmth. And for playing peek-a-boo to enthral me throughout the day. Lovely rendition of iris.

Ops, Hiris is so good it got two posts!
    Last edited by cello; 26th February 2010 at 01:59 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Since I don't actually have seven 5-star frags, I'm picking from amongst my favorite high 4s. Thymes Fig Leaf & Cassis is the happiest fragrance I own. It's cheerful, optimistic, and oblivious to the troubles of the world. I took it for granted, swapped it away, then re-encountered it thanks to Tang. It's Nature's Sweet-Tarts.

Hi all! Today I chose Etro Shaal Nur, the fragrance that is currently my best candidate for HG status, if ever there were such a thing. This fragrance was created by Jacques Flori in 1997. It is named for some mysterious Indian princess. Here is the notes pyramid, according to the Etro website:

Top: Citrus floral (lemon, bergamot, grapefruit, tangerine, rosewood, coriander)
    Heart: Aromatic floral (thyme, tarragon, rosemary, karo karoundé, rose, petit grain)
    Base: Spicy, woody, amber (nutmeg, patchouli, vetiver, cedar wood, opoponax, incense, musk)

Shaal Nur is a beautifully balanced, unaffected, and comforting fragrance. I've seen it classified as a "woody oriental", but I find it impossible to pigeonhole. It's a citrus, an herbal, a floral, a spice, a wood, an incense, and a vetiver. The rose, incense, and warmly lush vetiver are the notes that stand out most for me. There is a sort of "nuttiness" about the overall effect that I just love.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Clearly a 5-star frag: Bigarade Concentree — A distillation of citrus tree elements, natural smelling, sweet/sour neutral, and quite unemotional. That's what makes BC ideal for hot weather. A calming citrus. Not high-pitched. Gender neutral.

Finishing the 5-str week with the glorious Après l'ondee.

Hey, is anyone interested in a seven days of 4-star frags?
    I find the 4-stars interesting and worth revisiting. Sometimes they earn a star...sometimes they lose a star when I reconsider them.

And on the seventh, Chergui was created. OK, that may be a bit over the top. But SL Chergui is beautiful. All honey, slight floral, hay and sunshine. Destinct, unique and oh so easy to wear.

That ends the 7 days of 5 star frags. Thank you all for participating! This was fun.

Yes, a week of 4 star frags would be worth the while also.

Closing out the week in another deviation from my list, my first and most successful blind buy, Mitsouko.

And speaking of earning and losing stars, Nostalgie, I should point out that two on my list this week earned a star. Those were Borneo 1834 and Tabu. Theorema also earned a star, but I decided on Mits today, instead.

And thank you for a wonderful idea, cello!

Hello, five-star fragrance friends! I'm exhausted tonight (travelling and visiting family this weekend), but wanted to check in. I deviated from my list, but ended up in the lovely Chamade (extrait), which has become a five-star wonder for me.

Thanks again, cello. This was fun!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Not quite 5 but more than 4, that's the perfume I've used the longest: Guerlain’s With Love, a sentimental favorite with a soft floral/white amber drydown.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post

And speaking of earning and losing stars, Nostalgie, I should point out that two on my list this week earned a star. Those were Borneo 1834 and Tabu. Theorema also earned a star, but I decided on Mits today, instead.

I love when that happens!