Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: The seven days of five star fragrances

Yes, Mrs. Q, you are exactly right. I have already wanted to stray, and it is only day three! Sometimes you want beautiful, some days you want easy and casual, some days.......

I think a week of 4 and then 3 star frags would be very interesting. I would imagine that somewhere in there, I would adjust some of my ratings. When getting into that middle ground, I have probably been too "easy". And for those that are very discriminating with their stars, it does leave little wiggle room for mood, weather and the like.

I'm not even sure I could go down to 2 stars for a whole week
    Currently wearing: Bois des Îles by Chanel

I'm a little late for the party on this one Will start wearing my 5 star rated scents from tomorrow. They are:
    Wednesday:SL Chergui
    Thursday:Crystal noir
    Friday:Cuir de russie
    Saturday:Feminite du bois
    Sunday:L'heure bleu
    Monday:Mitsouko
    Tuesday:#88
    wednesday:Trouble

It was hard to decide,but this will be my sotd schedule for a week from now
    Last edited by ineespenes; 23rd February 2010 at 07:32 PM.

I'm 'fessing up: I cheated today. I received a partial bottle (decant) of Martine Micallef Gaiac in the mail yesterday, so of course I had to wear it right away! It's very lovely. Right now I'd give it four-plus stars.

However, for my SotE, I've pulled out one of my five-star bottles, Parfumerie Generale's L'Oiseau de Nuit. This fragrance was created in 2007 by Pierre Guillaume, and it is part of the line's Private Collection. Listed notes (Luckyscent) are cistus labdanum, liqueur of davana, benzoin, and leather. Why I give it five stars: Well, for starters, I love the name. :-) It is also unusual in that it showcases cistus labdanum (just gorgeous!), and the leather aspect is very quiet and feminine. Words pretty much fail me (or, more accurately, I fail the words) in describing this one. If it sounds interesting to you, I urge you to try it!

Side note: I'm noticing some similarities between L'Oiseau de Nuit, Bois Blond (another PG fave of mine), and my new Gaiac. They are all clearly in the same delicious family of fragrances!

Haunani, I would have cheated too if I had a bottle of Gaiac arrive! But at least you got back on track.

Like posted on the sotd thread I'm in Chergui today. From the first time I tried this gorgeous scent it was instant love! On me it opens as a rather spicy and leathery scent.Gradually some insence reveal itself (frankinsence?) and amber. After a whole day i'm left with a spicy,musky skinscent. just perfect in my book!

Day four of the seven days of 5 star fragrances as rated by ME

Ahhhhhh, Alahine. I've been looking forward to wearing this one. In fact, I took it for a trial run again last night.

Alahine by Teo Cabanel.
    Notes:
    bergamot, lavender, ylang-ylang
    Bulgarian rose, Moroccan rose, jasmin, orange blossom
    iris, rock rose, patchouli, benzoin, vanilla, musk

You pretty much know what you are going to get by looking at the traditional pyramid of notes. And you won't be surprised. BUT, right from the first spray, comes it's little secret. This is a beauty - so well blended and crafted. It wispers class, it surrounds you in classic perfume feeling with a nod towards modern sense. It doesn't feel old, yet it feels timeless.

The bright citris opening is smooth as silk. I can smell the lavender a bit, but it is smoothed out and blended until it is just a cooling breeze. The florals then come out, and I can smell rose, but it is rose surrounded and softened by their fellow notes. The amber is creeping in, softly, but possibly the florals are keeping the sweetness tamped down. Never does this fragrance go sweet, but never, ever is it harsh in any way. Each note blended to perfection. It then drifts off into it's closing, and you realise you have just experienced something special.

5 stars from me for the classic feel, beautiful structure and flawless execution. This smells beautiful.
    Last edited by cello; 24th February 2010 at 12:03 PM.

Cello, that Alahine sounds wonderful!

As I posted in the SotD thread, I'm wearing another of my five-star-rated fragrances, Dark Earth by Neil Morris. It's rainy and cool here, with the promise of spring in the air, and the line between my perfume and the scent around me is blurred. I'm loving the experience!

Neil Morris has this to say about his creation:

There is a moment between winter and spring when you know without a doubt that the snow will fall no more this season. The Earth is awake and ready for new growth. This perfume is a celebration of that moment.
    Listed Notes (from Neil Morris Fragrances website): Myrrh, Sandalwood, Golden Musk, Frankincense, Green Note, Earth Accord

Why I give Dark Earth five stars: It is a very beautiful fragrance composition, it evokes for me exactly what the perfumer describes, and it makes me feel alive.

Day five of my run through 5 star fragrances as rated by moi

Serge Lutens Douce Amere

Notes: artemisia absinthium, anise, cinammon, marigold, foamflower, jasmine, lily, tagetes, vanilla, musk, cedar (from SL website)

This little semi-gourmand is indeed on of my favorite fragrances. I do love a good gourmand, but I often find them a bit boring after a couple of hours. And sometimes too sweet. Enter Douce Amere - bittersweet - as the perfect cure.
    It opens with a back and forth battle between the bitterness of artemisia (wormwood plant) and the anise. Cinammom lurkes as well. This captures my attention, as it smells different each time I sniff. Soon it starts to soften with the cinammon florals, and the sweetness wins out with the approach of the basenotes. After several hours, the most luscious musk softened vanilla emerges, still with hints of the cinammon. This is close wearing, but such an interesting take on the usual oriental, that it has earned my attention and my love. It is a bit unLutens like, but yet, it is so like this line - surprising but not so daring as to offend. This is a soft Lutens, and with such an interesting opening, I don't mind soft. In fact, I love it.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Yesterday got a little nutsy with the customers and I didn't post, but I was enjoying VIP Room, which is something like Bulgari Black with tiare and pineapple (and when I run out, I'm going to have to come up with some kind of Bulg/Blk & “other” layering combo to replace this scent amongst my faves). Suggestions welcome!

Today, I'm drawing down on another favorite I have in short supply: Parfumerie Generale Cadjmere 18 — vanilla, coconut and soft spices with a thread of green. I torture myself, asking whether Lavanila Vanilla Spice could serve as a more affordable substitute — or might even be preferable? These are the thoughts that torture and torture a perfumista, as only you people will understand. I've sampled VS only once, and that's not enough to make a call. I'd either have to take part of day to drive to Sephora in order to retest it, or order a sample from TPC. But then there's the problem that VS is a limited edition, so if I like it, I'm doomed. [Lays wrist against forehead, “Oh, such agonizing mind loops.”]
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

My seven picks for this cool, grey weather would be:
    Ormonde Jayne - Orris Noir
    Guerlain - Shalimar
    Ormonde Jayne - Tolu
    Chanel - Bois des Iles
    Annic Goutal - Songes
    Frederick Malle - Musc Ravageur
    Ormonde Jayne - Ormonde Woman

Welcome to Basenotes, Bonsai!

Today I deviated from my original list, because I was in a "rosy" mood. So I chose another of my five-star fragrances, Gres Cabaret. For those of you who haven't tried this one, it is a gorgeous rose blend with soft incense. Cabaret was created by perfumer Michel Almairac in 2003, and contains notes of rose, lily of the valley, peony, pink bay, violet, blue orris, patchouli, incense, sandalwood, amber and musk (info from Now Smell This).

Why I give it five stars: Cabaret is another one of those Goldilocks fragrances for me. It smells *just right* on my skin, almost like it enhances the good smells that are already there (grin). There is a translucent quality that I love in fragrances, yet the staying power is excellent! Cabaret also has an aspect that I read as "salty" – always a good thing, in my book.

Day six of my 7 days of 5 star frags as judged by moi

Hermes Hiris

Notes: iris, neroli, carrot, coriander, hay, rose, ambrette seed, almond wood, cedar, honey, vanilla

Hermes is one of my favorite houses, and Olivia Giacobetti is one of my favorite perfum artists. In my iris hunt, fairly early in my new found passion for fragrances, I came across this one - influenced by the above two facts.

This is an easy to wear iris. The opening is cold, earthy and true to it's name. As the fragrance moves along, it warms up with some subtle florals, but not well defined - just enough to sweeten it slightly. The base keeps the iris, but adds definite warming sweet notes that drift up almost as a surprise.

I wore this at night quite a bit. But I distinctly remember the first time I wore it to work. I was cruising along enjoying the warm, earthy iris. All of the sudden, I smelled a soft hint of honey in my office. I looked around, wondering what it was. I sniffed my wrist - no, just earthy iris. Then I realised it was drifting up from my shirt - this beautiful, soft, sweet honey. My Hiris had warmed against my chest and was playing peek-a-boo with the earthy iris I smelled on my wrist. This was one of those times when you aren't playing attention to your fragrance, it reaches out and says "hey, smell this!"

Hiris gets my 5 star rating for being true to it's name, but adding a soft warmth. And for playing peek-a-boo to enthral me throughout the day. Lovely rendition of iris.

Ops, Hiris is so good it got two posts!
    Last edited by cello; 26th February 2010 at 12:59 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Since I don't actually have seven 5-star frags, I'm picking from amongst my favorite high 4s. Thymes Fig Leaf & Cassis is the happiest fragrance I own. It's cheerful, optimistic, and oblivious to the troubles of the world. I took it for granted, swapped it away, then re-encountered it thanks to Tang. It's Nature's Sweet-Tarts.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Hi all! Today I chose Etro Shaal Nur, the fragrance that is currently my best candidate for HG status, if ever there were such a thing. This fragrance was created by Jacques Flori in 1997. It is named for some mysterious Indian princess. Here is the notes pyramid, according to the Etro website:

Top: Citrus floral (lemon, bergamot, grapefruit, tangerine, rosewood, coriander)
    Heart: Aromatic floral (thyme, tarragon, rosemary, karo karoundé, rose, petit grain)
    Base: Spicy, woody, amber (nutmeg, patchouli, vetiver, cedar wood, opoponax, incense, musk)

Shaal Nur is a beautifully balanced, unaffected, and comforting fragrance. I've seen it classified as a "woody oriental", but I find it impossible to pigeonhole. It's a citrus, an herbal, a floral, a spice, a wood, an incense, and a vetiver. The rose, incense, and warmly lush vetiver are the notes that stand out most for me. There is a sort of "nuttiness" about the overall effect that I just love.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Clearly a 5-star frag: Bigarade Concentree — A distillation of citrus tree elements, natural smelling, sweet/sour neutral, and quite unemotional. That's what makes BC ideal for hot weather. A calming citrus. Not high-pitched. Gender neutral.

Finishing the 5-str week with the glorious Après l'ondee.

Hey, is anyone interested in a seven days of 4-star frags?
    I find the 4-stars interesting and worth revisiting. Sometimes they earn a star...sometimes they lose a star when I reconsider them.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

And on the seventh, Chergui was created. OK, that may be a bit over the top. But SL Chergui is beautiful. All honey, slight floral, hay and sunshine. Destinct, unique and oh so easy to wear.

That ends the 7 days of 5 star frags. Thank you all for participating! This was fun.

Yes, a week of 4 star frags would be worth the while also.

Blog Entries

Closing out the week in another deviation from my list, my first and most successful blind buy, Mitsouko.

And speaking of earning and losing stars, Nostalgie, I should point out that two on my list this week earned a star. Those were Borneo 1834 and Tabu. Theorema also earned a star, but I decided on Mits today, instead.

Blog Entries

And thank you for a wonderful idea, cello!

Hello, five-star fragrance friends! I'm exhausted tonight (travelling and visiting family this weekend), but wanted to check in. I deviated from my list, but ended up in the lovely Chamade (extrait), which has become a five-star wonder for me.

Thanks again, cello. This was fun!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Not quite 5 but more than 4, that's the perfume I've used the longest: Guerlain’s With Love, a sentimental favorite with a soft floral/white amber drydown.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post

And speaking of earning and losing stars, Nostalgie, I should point out that two on my list this week earned a star. Those were Borneo 1834 and Tabu. Theorema also earned a star, but I decided on Mits today, instead.

I love when that happens!
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/