Code of Conduct

Default Cologne/ Personal Hygiene Products

Every morning, I wake up, and after performing various chores, I take a shower. I use a body wash, a shampoo, a conditioner, and an anti-perspirant, all before applying any cologne.
    It seems to me that somewhere in that wash of scented products, an odor could creep in that is not all together complimentary of the cologne. I would think hand soap could also taint the smell of cologne on one's wrists.

So my question is this: do you clean yourself with odor-neutral products, match all of the above to a particular scent, or ignore it? I suppose not washing is always an option as well.

I doubt that smiley gets enough use, and while it's relevant...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cologne/ Personal Hygiene Products

I've seen several people post in the past that they do use unscented products, especially deoderant/anti-perspirant. I don't personally, and have never really worried about it. My cologne usually trumps them all.

I use unscented products when I can find them and they're not too much more expensive, yep. Otherwise, I go with the mildest, most boring scent I can find.

All depends on the frag I am using on that particular day. If it happens to be something strong like Kouros or Antaeus then I won't really care about scents mixing about. However if it's something weaker like Clinique Happy, Eau Sauvage or Chanel Pour Monsieur then I would either use a matching shower gel and deodorant stick or unscented soap and antiperspirant . As for shampoo I will just use whatever that is available in the bathroom or sometimes the matching shower gel.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

The scent of fragranced hygiene products that you rinse away, like soap and shampoo, usually disappear almost instantly. There are exceptions, but most are very fleeting. I often use a lemon or lavender soap when I shower; very pleasant but doesn't last at all.

I'd be more concerned about stuff like lotions or deodorants that stay on your skin. Some of those are very heavily scented. Find products that complement your fragrance or look for unscented/discretely scented ones. Today I used Dr. Hauschkas floral deodorant which has a strong rose scent, but this actually works well with quite a few fragrances (probably because many contain at least a little bit of rose).

I use Mitchum unscented deodorant, but have used several other unscented with good results too. I shower at night, not in the morning and the scents of the soap are definitely gone by the morning. Shampoo doesn't last much after my hair dries. Most likely because my hair is not very damaged by dye or treatments, so it does not absorb too much. I also do one perfume spray above my head which settles some scent into my hair. I have an unscented lotion for daytime. I even have a couple of my fav perfumes mixed into the unscented lotion in those small travel bottles.

Even if it may sound quite unprofessional, I tend to rather ignore this ground rule, since most of my grooming/cosmetic products which are not unscented, still smell quite neutral and quite vapidly, so I use any of my frags as liberally and as undisturbed, as if no fragrance-related interference existed.

Yeah.. I prefer odor neutral products. I've never had problems with scents though. Bad odor don't usually creep in even if I use a lot of products. Unscented products are still the best for me.

onceling: Can you mix perfume with unscented lotion and then apply on skin?

Quote Originally Posted by throwaway_gull View Post
    So my question is this: do you clean yourself with odor-neutral products?
    This is what I do. I use a lightly fragranced shampoo, normally American Crew along with Kirk's Castille soap. It's very lightly scented as well. No perfumes at all, just a nice clean soapy smell. After shaving, I normally use a lightly scented aftershave balm or splash that fades quickly. Finally, I use Mitchum Unscented antiperspirant. I don't want anything clashing / competing with whatever cologne I use that day.
    ~Mark~

Eva Pasco

Going along with the idea that scent from shower gels and soaps dissipate quickly. I don't pay any mind to the scent of my anti-perspirant, but always apply lotion that either picks up a note I choose to distinguish from my SOTD or is one of its layering items.

Quote Originally Posted by cannotavoidtrite View Post
    onceling: Can you mix perfume with unscented lotion and then apply on skin?
    I do so, yes. In places where I would usually apply perfume, such as my arms and neck. I would not use any lotions I scented myself on my face or 'sensitive areas' lol, but I have specific products for my face anyway.

I don't care at all about any of my hygiene products. I use Pantene shampoo, Radox Shea Butter & Ginger shower gel (which smells absolutely AMAZING by the way!) and at the moment i'm using up the last of my Nivea Silver Protection something-or-other deodorant/antiperspirant, but I also have some Dove deo/antiper that smells nice too.

I've been wanting to find an unscented deodorant/antipers., but I just can't find any in any stores that I trust to do the job well.

I usually use neutral baby powder fresh deoderant/anti-perspirants like suave,secret .my mother uses lady mitchem the whole family uses tres semme shampoo and conditioner,j&j baby powder without regard to what fragrance they will choose .i do have a collection of scented anti-perspirents though aarid regular works well as a coordinate for the spicyfloral/chypre/leather fragrances -so do flex balsaamshampoo/conditioner,ban paradise winds works with passionfruit/fruityflorals,degree or aarid shower clean ,pure oxygen work with aquatics/water florals-so do finnesse shampoo/conditioner,degree pure petals- floral